Cam Newton Thread - Back to Carolina

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: Cam Newton to Patriots

Postby Valhalla » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:41 pm

ericanadian wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:26 pm ...before that it’s been a bunch of ankle sprains and hamstring pulls. Nothing that really tends to have a lasting impact.
Tell that to my ankles and hammy, please.

metalmat
Starter
Starter

Postby metalmat » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:48 pm

abloom wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:44 am Small sample size, but in both my SF leagues the team that owned Stidham had already owned Cam lol. Anyone else find this as the case?

Classic BB move. Grab a vet on low money, I'd he's successful you just bought a late 3rd, if not well you didn't give up much. Worst case scenario, he pushes Stidham to be better
Same here, I was able to pick him up for basically free in some 1 QB leagues before the signing but in both my SF leagues the team with Stidham already had Cam , funny.
14 Tm ppr (rebuilding)
QB Wentz, Carr, MacJ
RB Mixon, Ty'son, Gaskin, McKinnon, Coleman, David Johnson, Freeman, Darrel Williams, J.Patrick, Ahmed, Dobbins, Hasty
WR Hopkins, T.Patrick, E.Moore
TE Jarwin, Ertz, Knox, Tremble
Picks: 22 (1,1,1,2,2,3) 23 (1,1,1,2,2,3)

12 Tm .5 ppr
QB Stafford, Hurts, MacJ, KMond
RB Zeke, Fournette, White, Mostert, Coleman, Pollard, Dallas, Perine, B.Scott, Nwangwu, Hawkins
WR Amari, Tyreek, KA, Chark, Renfrow, Agholor, Patterson
TE Fant, Knox, Doyle, Allie-Cox

12 Tm SF, TE+, ppr
QB Ryan, Winston, Mills, Minshew, Tua
RB Gordon, Carson, Harris, Hunt, Duke, D'Ernest, Dillon
WR Jefferson, Boyd, Ruggs, Davis, Parker, Hamler, Robby, Miller, E.Moore, Rodgers, Tre'Quan
TE Hooper, Conklin, Jarwin, Doyle, JuwanJ

14 Tm ppr
QB Stafford, Bridgewater, Fields
RB Hines, Harris, R.Jones, Murray, Freeman, J,Kelley, Hasty
WR Tyreek, C.Ridley, J.Chase, Aiyuk, Hardman, Renfrow, Campbell, Eskridge, Tre'quan
TE Kittle, Freiermuth, Kroft

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:55 am

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Cam Newton's contract includes $550,000 guaranteed.

The details include a $1.05 million base salary with $700,000 in per-game roster bonuses that could cap at $7.5 million. It's truly a bare-minimum 'prove it' deal for Newton as the Patriots were the only team in on the veteran while he was unable to receive either a workout or physical. Coach Bill Belichick reportedly hasn't guaranteed the 31-year-old a starting gig but we would expect the veteran to get the nod over Jarrett Stidham in the team's season opener. It's a low-risk gamble with Championship implications that benefits both sides this year.
Wow. That’s a contract that is set up for a player that the teams expects at least as likely to cut as they are to roster. That doesn’t look at all like NE (or Newton’s agent) expects a guy with this kind of contract to be a slam dunk starter as some seem to be alluding to.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:46 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:55 am
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Cam Newton's contract includes $550,000 guaranteed.

The details include a $1.05 million base salary with $700,000 in per-game roster bonuses that could cap at $7.5 million. It's truly a bare-minimum 'prove it' deal for Newton as the Patriots were the only team in on the veteran while he was unable to receive either a workout or physical. Coach Bill Belichick reportedly hasn't guaranteed the 31-year-old a starting gig but we would expect the veteran to get the nod over Jarrett Stidham in the team's season opener. It's a low-risk gamble with Championship implications that benefits both sides this year.
Wow. That’s a contract that is set up for a player that the teams expects at least as likely to cut as they are to roster. That doesn’t look at all like NE (or Newton’s agent) expects a guy with this kind of contract to be a slam dunk starter as some seem to be alluding to.
Bolded the part that explains the contract as it is.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 pm

ericanadian wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:46 am

Sorry, not buying that excuse for a contract structured as team-friendly as that contract is. I might expect that for a guy like Hoyer, not Newton.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:15 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 pm
ericanadian wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:46 am

Sorry, not buying that excuse for a contract structured as team-friendly as that contract is. I might expect that for a guy like Hoyer, not Newton.
Definitely a low offer for a QB of Newton's resume; but it's a supply and demand issue. No other team was willing to offer Cam a starting gig, so Cam took the offer knowing he's going to be vastly underpaid. It's worth noting though, that the Patriots literally have no cap room right now, and this was near the upper end of what they were able to offer Newton without cutting players.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:00 pm

I think it was a smart deal for Cam to take. He goes to a team where there is little to no competition, the team has a good defense so he won't always be playing catchup mode, he has the best offensive coordinator in the league. What a great move for him after seeing what Tanny and Teddy got after basically performing as game managers for their teams.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:16 pm

thebeast wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:00 pm I think it was a smart deal for Cam to take. He goes to a team where there is little to no competition, the team has a good defense so he won't always be playing catchup mode, he has the best offensive coordinator in the league. What a great move for him after seeing what Tanny and Teddy got after basically performing as game managers for their teams.
Money is great and all.. but it's not like Cam isn't already set for life. The opportunity to prove his doubters wrong alone probably been enough for Cam to sign with the Patriots

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:38 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:16 pm
thebeast wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:00 pm I think it was a smart deal for Cam to take. He goes to a team where there is little to no competition, the team has a good defense so he won't always be playing catchup mode, he has the best offensive coordinator in the league. What a great move for him after seeing what Tanny and Teddy got after basically performing as game managers for their teams.
Money is great and all.. but it's not like Cam isn't already set for life. The opportunity to prove his doubters wrong alone probably been enough for Cam to sign with the Patriots
I mean, maybe, but money is money and everybody wants more money. If he was offered more elsewhere, he’d have more than likely have followed the money. If he believes in himself then I don’t think the allure of the Patriots would be enough to eat that contract. He simply didn’t have other options available.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:44 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:38 pm
I mean, maybe, but money is money and everybody wants more money. If he was offered more elsewhere, he’d have more than likely have followed the money. If he believes in himself then I don’t think the allure of the Patriots would be enough to eat that contract. He simply didn’t have other options available.
Correct. This was most likely Cam's only option beyond staying out of the NFL. The "proving their doubters wrong" ins't a reason people make final decisions, or at least it shouldn't be. It's something to use as motivation from time to time, but not the focus of real life, big time decisions, no matter what profession. Cam most likely wanted to continue playing Football, and this was his only option to doing so, at the current time, and there were no guarantees that opportunity would come again. He can now use the idea of nobody else wanting him, as a mental motivation, but it's really not the reason he signed, IMO. He isn't playing to the highest bidder here. He had 1 bidder.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:54 pm

I wonder if those per game roster bonuses protect New England in the event that there's not a season.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:06 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:44 pm

Correct. This was most likely Cam's only option beyond staying out of the NFL. The "proving their doubters wrong" ins't a reason people make final decisions, or at least it shouldn't be. It's something to use as motivation from time to time, but not the focus of real life, big time decisions, no matter what profession. Cam most likely wanted to continue playing Football, and this was his only option to doing so, at the current time, and there were no guarantees that opportunity would come again. He can now use the idea of nobody else wanting him, as a mental motivation, but it's really not the reason he signed, IMO. He isn't playing to the highest bidder here. He had 1 bidder.
What? There are plenty of players who value their legacy enough to not simply go to the highest bidder. Players as competitive as Cam want to win. They want to do well. This helps their image which leads to more lucrative sponsorship offers and their next paycheck.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:14 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:06 pm

What? There are plenty of players who value their legacy enough to not simply go to the highest bidder. Players as competitive as Cam want to win. They want to do well. This helps their image which leads to more lucrative sponsorship offers and their next paycheck.
Proving your doubters wrong is not what is the main focus of any successful person I know. It's used as "bulletin board" material. Your legacy isn't about proving others wrong, it's about self belief, proving yourself right. The fundamental part of any success people have, is in their own self belief. Proving their doubters comes only out of that, not the other way round. There was 1 bidder, in the context of my statement. I specifically stated he wasn't playing to the highest bidder. Did you not read the entire thing? It's not about money for Cam, but it would have been if it could be, and still being in the position to succeed. He obviously would have taken more if he could get it, and felt he could succeed. Somebody with self belief wouldn't have resigned himself to the Pats offer, if he was offered 20 million by another team. I'm pretty sure Cam would have felt he could continue his Legacy there, over the Pats offer, in that case.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:17 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:14 pm

Proving your doubters wrong is not what is the main focus of any successful person I know. It's used as "bulletin board" material. Your legacy isn't about proving others wrong, it's about self belief, proving yourself right. The fundamental part of any success people have, is in their own self belief. Proving their doubters comes only out of that, not the other way round. There was 1 bidder, in the context of my statement. I specifically stated he wasn't playing to the highest bidder. Did you not read the entire thing? It's not about money for Cam, but it would have been if it could be, and still being in the position to succeed. He obviously would have taken more if he could get it, and felt he could succeed. Somebody with self belief wouldn't have resigned himself to the Pats offer, if he was offered 20 million by another team. I'm pretty sure Cam would have felt he could continue his Legacy there, over the Pats offer, in that case.
Obviously if you can choose more money vs less money you take more money. But what team would put him in a better position to succeed than the Pats: who have the least competition for the starting QB spot, a solid defense and a proven track record of winning?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:26 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:17 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:14 pm

Obviously if you can choose more money vs less money you take more money. But what team would put him in a better position to succeed than the Pats: who have the least competition for the starting QB spot, a solid defense and a proven track record of winning?
D is good, no doubt. But that offense isn't. I mean, what if the Bucs had made an offer instead of going after Brady? That would be much more enticing as a QB who isn't afraid to sling it. Everybody is talking about the Bucs as a contender now. I personally don't think of the Pats as a real contender with Cam. But I'm sure he does. I'm curious if he had multiple offers, with different amounts of money, and not just the Pats, how he would have handled it, but we'll never know. My point was not that he was a sell out to the highest bidder, but that it's a convenient narrative to say he's going for the Pats for his legacy, but what if the Redskins had offered him the same deal, and nobody else? We just don't know. I think it's a good move for him, because he has a good coaching staff, and if he does well, can get a big time pay increase next year. I'm saying that he would have preferred more money, but that ultimately it's about being successful for him, not proving people wrong, or it should be. Obviously proving doubters wrong can motivate anybody. I just meant that isn't the main focus of this, or it shouldn't be. As you said, he's made a lot of money, and his only offer that we know of came from a very successful franchise, so he decided to take it. I think it was the right move.
Janiel Dones Truther