Michael Crabtree Vs. Dez Bryant

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Who will have a better career?

Michael Crabtree
64%
Dez Bryant
36%

Total votes: 56

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:48 am

AL DAVISisGOD wrote:BradyT, you obviously have either watched to much BSPN, haven't seen Al's credentials ,or are just a complete moron. ( Ill bet the ladder ) Let me enlighten you

Pro Football Hall of Fame
3 Super Bowl Wins
4 AFC Championships and an AFL title
Served as an Owner, Commissioner,GM, and Coach in the AFL and NFL

He just put together a great off season through the draft, trade , and free agency. The Oakland Raiders are on the rise friends and the man making that happen is Al Davis. The last 7 years shouldn't tarnish a great legacy, the Raiders are back.
Yes, please keep things as polite as possible. Most of us like this site because people can disagree on things here without the arguments getting stupid.

Count me in as one of those guys who has been holding out a little hope for the Raiders year after year. I thought Michael Bush was a fantastic pick when they made that one. I thought Russel was fine where he was drafted too. He just happened to bust...HARD. McFadden was a decent pick there too considering his collegiate production and the program he came from.

The worst pick Davis has made, possibly EVER though was DHB ahead of Crabtree. That's saying a lot considering how terrible Russel was. But, the reality is that MANY "experts" had Russel as a top 10 pick while NOBODY but Al Davis had DHB as a top 10 pick. I'll bring the discussion back to that since we are in a thread discussing Crabtree verses Bryant. Notice that DHB isn't in that discussion because, though he's a late 1st round talent potentially, he's not a top 10 talent like Crabs or Dez. Dez slipped because of some off field issues and Crabtree was still drafted in the top 10, though should have gone higher in my book. DHB wasn't even the 2nd or 3rd or 4th best WR in his class. Pretty much everyone had Percy Harvin ahead of him, Maclin ahead of him and Nicks ahead of him. Even Britt was ahead of him on a lot of people's boards. So, yes, the DHB pick at #7 overall was TERRIBLE. And, Al Davis is to blame for that. So, the criticism is warranted due to his recent decisions.

I'll back you on the idea of the Raiders making a come back. I think they have a shot to push for the division this year. But, the AFC West has to be considered one of the weakest divisions in football right now. San Diego is my favorite to win. But, they aren't that strong anymore. KC should make a push in the division but a long ways off from being league wide competitive. Denver is a sinking ship in my opinion. Oakland just may have enough talent to eek out an 8-8 play off birth. But, the other teams making the playoffs from other divisions are clearly better. So, even if they manage something like a play off birth, which is still a bit of a stretch, I don't think they are going anywhere in the play offs.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

GridIronFavre
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby GridIronFavre » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:07 am

Steelersfan wrote:
AL DAVISisGOD wrote:BradyT, you obviously have either watched to much BSPN, haven't seen Al's credentials ,or are just a complete moron. ( Ill bet the ladder ) Let me enlighten you

3 Super Bowl Wins

He just put together a great off season through the draft, trade , and free agency. The Oakland Raiders are on the rise friends and the man making that happen is Al Davis. The last 7 years shouldn't tarnish a great legacy, the Raiders are back.
Please keep it respectful at all times...
Yes, please. These are the best forums out there, we don't want to dilute their value or integrity, especially with such comments.
Start: 2 QB, 3 RB, 5 WR, 2 TE (All TDs=6, 1 per 10 rush/rec, 1 per 25 pass, NO PPR) 8 teams
QB: Rodgers, Vick, Cutler, Schaub, Luck
RB: Rice, CJ, McFadden, Richardson, Stewart, Ingram, Spiller, Vereen
WR: Green, Marshall, Roddy, Jennings, Roddy, Bowe, Maclin, Britt, A Brown, Williams (TB), Collie, Smith (STL)
TE: Graham, Finley, F Davis, Cook
Taxi Squad: Tebow, Crabtree, Jeffrey, Hill, Gordon

willypohill
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby willypohill » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:10 am

Not really sure why so many people believe Crabtree had such a mediocre season. If you project his stats over 16 games, his line would look like 70/900/3. The TD numbers aren't good, but I think with his size he will be getting a lot more than 4 red-zone targets the entire season from now on.

Who is more talented between Bryant and Crabtree? I'm not sure. But we've seen what Crabtree can do and how he kept his body in shape and ready to go till he signed his contract. In a way, Dez did the same thing while suspended last season. Only time will tell which one of these guys will be better, but I have a feeling both could be top 10 WR for many years.
Michigan Maulers
QB: Brady, Bradford, Henne, Gabbert, Hill, Edwards
RB: McCoy, Turner, Ingram, Spiller, R. Jennings, Tolbert, Lewis, McGahee, Buckhalter, J. Harrison
WR: Fitzgerald, G. Jennings, V-Jax, Crabtree, Holmes, McCluster, K. Walter
TE: V. Davis, Dreessen, Bennett
K: Akers, Barth
DL: T. Kelly, Ngata, A. Brown, D. Edwards, E. Brown, Avril
LB: Lofton, Cushing, V. Miller, Orakpo, Angerer, Wimbley, Witherspoon
DB: L. Landry, Rhodes, Byrd, T. Williams, Finnegan, Meriweather, J. Smith

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:32 am

willypohill wrote:Not really sure why so many people believe Crabtree had such a mediocre season. If you project his stats over 16 games, his line would look like 70/900/3. The TD numbers aren't good, but I think with his size he will be getting a lot more than 4 red-zone targets the entire season from now on.

Who is more talented between Bryant and Crabtree? I'm not sure. But we've seen what Crabtree can do and how he kept his body in shape and ready to go till he signed his contract. In a way, Dez did the same thing while suspended last season. Only time will tell which one of these guys will be better, but I have a feeling both could be top 10 WR for many years.
Dez had a terrible pro day by all accounts. And, when he got to Dallas' training camp he was so out of shape that he was dry heaving, bent over his knees on the side lines, after every other play. Dez Bryant did not keep himself in shape and ready to play when he got suspended.

I agree with the rest of what you said though.

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:10 am

willypohill wrote:Not really sure why so many people believe Crabtree had such a mediocre season. If you project his stats over 16 games, his line would look like 70/900/3. The TD numbers aren't good, but I think with his size he will be getting a lot more than 4 red-zone targets the entire season from now on.

I'm a Dez Bryant guy...that being said, you are right, Crabtree had a very good rookie season despite missing training camp and playing on an offensively challenging team.

I like Crabs...I love Dez. :oops:

AL DAVISisGOD
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby AL DAVISisGOD » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:01 pm

I will refrain from calling people morons in the future. The BSPN was referring to the amount of BS that everyone on that network is full of.
Win Lose or Tie Raiders till I Die

willypohill
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby willypohill » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:25 pm

kris_kapsner wrote:

Dez had a terrible pro day by all accounts. And, when he got to Dallas' training camp he was so out of shape that he was dry heaving, bent over his knees on the side lines, after every other play. Dez Bryant did not keep himself in shape and ready to play when he got suspended.

His pro day wasn't great. But it certainly wasn't terrible. You can't expect a guy to perform like he's been on the field all season when he hasn't. As for him dry heaving, I can tell you that Ndamukong Suh and Jahvid Best were doing the same thing just as almost all rookies do. The conditioning is just on another level from college to the pros. And all accounts I've heard claim he's been making great plays every day. I'll take some midsummer conditioning problems coupled with awesome plays any day. You can improve conditioning, you can't improve natural talent.

But I definitely can see that even the slightest of issues with this guy will get blown up to be much bigger. It's too bad that most WRs are divas these days.
Michigan Maulers
RB: McCoy, Turner, Ingram, Spiller, R. Jennings, Tolbert, Lewis, McGahee, Buckhalter, J. Harrison

Scorp
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Scorp » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:19 pm

dmacizdman wrote:i went with bryant because of the quarterback situation. alex smith still scares me.
I agree, it's T.Romo and the Cowboys vs. Alex Smith and the run all day and run time off the clock. The Cowboys have a more potent scoring offense, which increases Bryant's upside for scores, which increases his value imo. Bryant = Greg Jennings, while Crabs upside looks more like D.Bowe.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:12 pm

Vintage wrote:
dmacizdman wrote:i went with bryant because of the quarterback situation. alex smith still scares me.
I agree, it's T.Romo and the Cowboys vs. Alex Smith and the run all day and run time off the clock. The Cowboys have a more potent scoring offense, which increases Bryant's upside for scores, which increases his value imo. Bryant = Greg Jennings, while Crabs upside looks more like D.Bowe.
Another way to look at this is Crabtree has a lot less competition for receptions. I like both players a lot but Crabtree has less in his way. I think his upside is beyond Bowe's but I also think Bryant's is beyond Jennings. Bryant has more talent...but he also has Austin, Witten, and the backfield to share with (I won't talk about Roy Williams because he sucks)

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:54 pm

Vintage wrote:
You mean the run all day 49ers that ran 23 times a game 3rd lowest in the league only ahead of the Cards and Colts :lol:
The run all day 49ers who ranked 18th in average Time Of Possession per game....

:roll: You DO know how to use nfl.com right? If yes, use it more often, and if not, then well...you need too go there more often. :D

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:23 pm

willypohill wrote:
kris_kapsner wrote:

His pro day wasn't great. But it certainly wasn't terrible. You can't expect a guy to perform like he's been on the field all season when he hasn't. As for him dry heaving, I can tell you that Ndamukong Suh and Jahvid Best were doing the same thing just as almost all rookies do. The conditioning is just on another level from college to the pros. And all accounts I've heard claim he's been making great plays every day. I'll take some midsummer conditioning problems coupled with awesome plays any day. You can improve conditioning, you can't improve natural talent.

But I definitely can see that even the slightest of issues with this guy will get blown up to be much bigger. It's too bad that most WRs are divas these days.
Considering how talented Bryant was supposed to be, his pro day was incredibly under whelming. And, though many rookies get a little winded in training camp, Bryant was doubled over every other play initially. He was VERY out of shape. He doesn't work hard on his own. Heck, his self appointed hobby is sleeping. What does that tell you?

All I was saying is that Bryant doesn't have an elite work ethic. He has the skills to be very good, if not great though. But, I wonder if he'll get there in the long run without some self motivated change toward perfecting his craft. Otherwise he'll probably end up in the same boat as Braylon Edwards currently finds himself. He had a fantastic year and even made it into the top 3 in most rankings at one point. I could see Bryant doing that in the next few years. But, there is a decent likelihood that he won't have the motivation to keep himself up there.

Crabtree does have the kind of self motivation to rise up towards the top and stay there for the long run. And, at this point in their maturity, Bryant isn't even close to Crabtree in that regard.

willypohill
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby willypohill » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:32 pm

kris_kapsner wrote:
willypohill wrote:
kris_kapsner wrote: Dez had a terrible pro day by all accounts. And, when he got to Dallas' training camp he was so out of shape that he was dry heaving, bent over his knees on the side lines, after every other play. Dez Bryant did not keep himself in shape and ready to play when he got suspended.

Considering how talented Bryant was supposed to be, his pro day was incredibly under whelming. And, though many rookies get a little winded in training camp, Bryant was doubled over every other play initially. He was VERY out of shape. He doesn't work hard on his own. Heck, his self appointed hobby is sleeping. What does that tell you?

All I was saying is that Bryant doesn't have an elite work ethic. He has the skills to be very good, if not great though. But, I wonder if he'll get there in the long run without some self motivated change toward perfecting his craft. Otherwise he'll probably end up in the same boat as Braylon Edwards currently finds himself. He had a fantastic year and even made it into the top 3 in most rankings at one point. I could see Bryant doing that in the next few years. But, there is a decent likelihood that he won't have the motivation to keep himself up there.

Crabtree does have the kind of self motivation to rise up towards the top and stay there for the long run. And, at this point in their maturity, Bryant isn't even close to Crabtree in that regard.
I know I was arguing Bryant's case there, but there is a reason I took Crabtree over Rice, Wayne, VJax, Jennings, and others. Dez Bryant was off the board two picks before I took Crabtree, but I wouldn't have changed my pick if he was.
Michigan Maulers

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:50 am

3 Super Bowl Wins

Everybody should know when its time to step aside, retire and do something else... and you should do it when you´re at the top of what you were doing. I know atleast two guys who have missed that point... Al Davis is one of´em... :twisted: Image
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:06 am

BradyT wrote:

3 Super Bowl Wins

Everybody should know when its time to step aside, retire and do something else... and you should do it when you´re at the top of what you were doing. I know atleast two guys who have missed that point... Al Davis is one of´em... :twisted: Image
Is the 2nd guy named Brett? :lol:

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:53 am

princevincexoxo wrote:
BradyT wrote:

3 Super Bowl Wins

Is the 2nd guy named Brett? :lol:
Negative.. :lol:
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11