DLF SuperFlex startup!

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
rock-hammerson
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: DLF SuperFlex startup!

Postby rock-hammerson » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:50 pm

Brian, you appear to have a great start in a 12 team superflex. Luck and Wilson should be a power combo of points for the next 10 years or more. I feel like two QB's to start the draft is the only strategy I would attack in a league where you can start two quarterbacks. In terms of shelf life, good QB's seem to have the longest.
10 team ppr 32 man rosters when season starts. 1QB- 2RB- 3WR- 1TE- 2Flex and k/def
QB- Luck, Winston, Glennon
RB- Gurley, Lynch, J. Howard, Gore, Rawls, Prosise, CJ Anderson, J. Williams(BUF), Lasco, DJ Foster, M. Brown, Perkins
WR- OBJ, Hopkins, Evans, Michael Thomas, Pryor, Gordon, Snead, Latimer, Mitchell, Spruce, Turner, K. Bell, Billingsly, Carter, Campanaro
TE- Gronkowski, Rudolph, M. Williams, Swoope, Gathers
K- Gostkowski
DST- Carolina

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madadamus » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:41 pm

hammertoes wrote:With the 2.07 pick on the clock, a big trade went down...

Madadamus gave up:
Luck, Andrew IND QB
Year 2016 Draft Pick 10.12
Year 2017 Round 2 Draft Pick from alphaxray

Brian gave up:
Year 2016 Draft Pick 2.07
Year 2016 Draft Pick 3.06
Year 2017 Round 1 Draft Pick from Brian

This leaves Brian dominant at QB with now Luck to go with Russell Wilson, but no more picks until 4.07.

Madadamus now has 4 picks between picks 19 & 30.
Now that the bulk of the trade is over, I'll give my reasoning on trading Luck. The trade worked out to be Luck, 10.12 (likely 2nd round player value) 2017 2nd for Jameis Winston, Kevin White, 2017 1st.

It really comes down to whether or not you are a fan of Winston and White. I am extremely high on both of these players. I think Winston is a 1st rounder in this format, and when he was dropping I thought the idea of having Winston plus an extra WR was worth it to move Luck. I also got a 1st rounder next year that could be anywhere so I could get lucky.

I can't blame Brian at all, he has Luck and Wilson. In my opinion they are top 3 QB's and they are in their prime and will be relevant for years. He does not have to worry about that position and will have a severe advantage over all of us. Sorry to everyone in the league for giving him that edge! :oops:

After 30 picks, I have Winston, Parker, White, and 1.01 (Elliot) and an extra 2017 1st. I am very happy to begin my start-up with this core. I took White at 3.06, and I prefer him over Parker and the 1.01 which I took before him. I gambled that he would be there based on his ADP and it worked out.
12 Team PPR Dynasty - DLFS
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Burrow, M. Stafford, C. Wentz
RB: S. Barkley, D. Swift, J.K. Dobbins, C. Edwards-Helaire, R. Penny, G. Edwards, K. Drake
WR: T. Higgins, M. Evans, B. Aiyuk, C. Watson, K. Toney, M. Thomas, C. Ridley, C. Davis, J. Reagor
TE: D. Waller, E. Engram, H. Hurst, D. Njoku, G. Dulich, J. Akins
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 2nd (mid), 3rd, 4th, 4th (mid)

12 Team PPR Dynasty
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Herbert, M. Stafford, J. Winston, D. Lock, M. Mariota, J. Stidham, R. Fitzpatrick
RB: C. McCaffrey, A. Kamara, E. Elliott, J. Dobbin, J. Mixon, A. Mattison, J. White, L. Bell
WR: D. Moore, J. Jeudy, O. Beckham Jr., C. Claypool, C. Davis. D. Parker, L. Fitzgerald, B. Perriman, W. Snead
TE: E. Engram, C. Kmet, C. Herndon, K. Warring
2021 Picks: 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:44 pm

Madadamus wrote:
hammertoes wrote:With the 2.07 pick on the clock, a big trade went down...

Madadamus gave up:
Luck, Andrew IND QB
Year 2016 Draft Pick 10.12
Year 2017 Round 2 Draft Pick from alphaxray

Brian gave up:
Year 2016 Draft Pick 2.07
Year 2016 Draft Pick 3.06
Year 2017 Round 1 Draft Pick from Brian

This leaves Brian dominant at QB with now Luck to go with Russell Wilson, but no more picks until 4.07.

Madadamus now has 4 picks between picks 19 & 30.
Now that the bulk of the trade is over, I'll give my reasoning on trading Luck. The trade worked out to be Luck, 10.12 (likely 2nd round player value) 2017 2nd for Jameis Winston, Kevin White, 2017 1st.

It really comes down to whether or not you are a fan of Winston and White. I am extremely high on both of these players. I think Winston is a 1st rounder in this format, and when he was dropping I thought the idea of having Winston plus an extra WR was worth it to move Luck. I also got a 1st rounder next year that could be anywhere so I could get lucky.

I can't blame Brian at all, he has Luck and Wilson. In my opinion they are top 3 QB's and they are in their prime and will be relevant for years. He does not have to worry about that position and will have a severe advantage over all of us. Sorry to everyone in the league for giving him that edge! :oops:

After 30 picks, I have Winston, Parker, White, and 1.01 (Elliot) and an extra 2017 1st. I am very happy to begin my start-up with this core. I took White at 3.06, and I prefer him over Parker and the 1.01 which I took before him. I gambled that he would be there based on his ADP and it worked out.
Whatever dude. At least give me the credit for this idea since you stole it from me. :D
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:47 pm

rock-hammerson wrote:Brian, you appear to have a great start in a 12 team superflex. Luck and Wilson should be a power combo of points for the next 10 years or more. I feel like two QB's to start the draft is the only strategy I would attack in a league where you can start two quarterbacks. In terms of shelf life, good QB's seem to have the longest.
Luck/Wilson will almost undoubtedly be the best 1-2 punch at QB in the entire league. I don't agree that it's the only way to go in a SF though. If this were a true 2QB league then I'd probably agree, but in a SuperFlex with somewhat devalued QB scoring I don't think it's a must to go this direction.

Keep in mind that by locking up Luck/Wilson, he won't even be drafting his 1st RB/WR/TE until the middle of the 4th round, and he's given up his '17 1st as well. I'm not saying I believe it's wrong to do what he did, but he paid a hefty price to do so.
Ben

Luck/Cousins
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota

flashgordon12
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby flashgordon12 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:50 pm

I agree with Buckeye, while he will have the safety of having two stud QBs, he's going to have to hit on pretty much all of his picks now
Flash in the Pan: 12 team PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1DEF) 25 man rosters

QB- Andrew Luck, Josh Allen
RB- MGIII, Mixon, Cohen, Devonta Freeman
WR- AB, Odell Beckham Jr., Josh Gordon, Tyler Boyd, Marqise Lee, Sutton, MVS
TE- Gronk, Higbee
DEF- Denver

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madadamus » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:59 pm

BuckeyeNation wrote: Whatever dude. At least give me the credit for this idea since you stole it from me. :D
Haha. Believe it or not I had similar offers out beginning at the 2.04 which is when I was trying to trade Luck for Winston+. When I got your offer I threw out similar ones to the guys that drafted a QB in the 1st.
12 Team PPR Dynasty - DLFS
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Burrow, M. Stafford, C. Wentz
RB: S. Barkley, D. Swift, J.K. Dobbins, C. Edwards-Helaire, R. Penny, G. Edwards, K. Drake
WR: T. Higgins, M. Evans, B. Aiyuk, C. Watson, K. Toney, M. Thomas, C. Ridley, C. Davis, J. Reagor
TE: D. Waller, E. Engram, H. Hurst, D. Njoku, G. Dulich, J. Akins
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 2nd (mid), 3rd, 4th, 4th (mid)

12 Team PPR Dynasty
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Herbert, M. Stafford, J. Winston, D. Lock, M. Mariota, J. Stidham, R. Fitzpatrick
RB: C. McCaffrey, A. Kamara, E. Elliott, J. Dobbin, J. Mixon, A. Mattison, J. White, L. Bell
WR: D. Moore, J. Jeudy, O. Beckham Jr., C. Claypool, C. Davis. D. Parker, L. Fitzgerald, B. Perriman, W. Snead
TE: E. Engram, C. Kmet, C. Herndon, K. Warring
2021 Picks: 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:22 pm

flashgordon12 wrote:I agree with Buckeye, while he will have the safety of having two stud QBs, he's going to have to hit on pretty much all of his picks now
The only reason I say this is because I've seen in play out first hand in SF leagues before. An owner goes QB/QB to start the draft, and is left with a very thin looking roster. Meanwhile owners are stocking up on stud WRs and land 2 QBs later in the draft that aren't "sexy names" but still put up top 12 seasons. And I've seen this happen to owners that didn't have to give up assets to trade up to acquire the 2QBs, so they weren't left nearly as thin.

I think the play that was made here to pay for Luck to pair with Wilson is a move that will hurt him in the short term, but should prove beneficial in the long run. He could very well lack the depth to compete this year, but in the next couple of years when other owners are churning through QBs looking for their next QB anchor, he'll still be sitting on two of league's best QBs in their prime.
Ben

Luck/Cousins
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:32 am

I know I'm not a part of this league but it's cool to see the rationale and decisions made by different owners play out. I have never played in superflex so it's definitely interesting to see the varying approaches and gain a better understanding of this format. I might just have to add another league this offseason to give it a try. Thanks for sharing guys.
Last edited by AZK on Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

harr
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby harr » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:41 am

Looking back, I think this worked out very nicely for Madadamus. The way you're describing what you were trying to do...the draft played out nearly perfectly for you to acquire the guys you were targeting. You took a risk and it looks like it paid off for you. As far as my side of the deal, I am very pleased where I sit at this point with both Luck and Wilson on my squad. What some of the guys have said is true...my first RB/WR will be selected in the 4th round which is quite a wait to do so. But I still see a lot of talent on the board, and a few different options in terms of the direction of my team. As I posted on the league chat, these are the best kind of deals to be involved in...where both parties feel good about the end result. I'm glad it worked out that way.
@BrianHarrFF

alphaxray
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby alphaxray » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:26 am

Neight wrote:I know I'm not a part of this league but it's cool to see the rationale and decisions made by different owners play out. I have ever played in superflex so it's definitely interesting to see the varying approaches and gain a better understanding of this format. I might just have to add another league this offseason to give it a try. Thanks for sharing guys.
Comments like this show why it was a good idea for Buckeye to start this thread.

alphaxray
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby alphaxray » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:56 am

wolfepackage wrote:Alshon got sold for peanuts
I'm pretty happy to get Alshon for this price. He was near the top of the tier of players that I was hoping would fall to me in the 2nd. The whole tier was drafted prior to my selection, so I am glad the trade opportunity came my way.

AT 3.07 I was very happy to be able to choose between Ben and Bortles. I actually put out a couple of trade offers (both declined) to try and move up to land one of them. The decision was pretty hard, but I went with Ben because I think he will be the better player for the next 3 years. Bortles obviously has youth on his side, but I think it will be hard for him to duplicate his TD numbers from last year. I'm still debating whether I made the right choice here...

flashgordon12
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby flashgordon12 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:04 am

I think you did. Though Big Ben's offense won't be quite as dynamic without Martavis
Flash in the Pan: 12 team PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1DEF) 25 man rosters

QB- Andrew Luck, Josh Allen
RB- MGIII, Mixon, Cohen, Devonta Freeman
WR- AB, Odell Beckham Jr., Josh Gordon, Tyler Boyd, Marqise Lee, Sutton, MVS
TE- Gronk, Higbee
DEF- Denver

theone
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby theone » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:14 am

One of the things I really like about this thread is that it demonstrates the larger variety of strategies that can be used at the start of a superflex. There are teams that have gone with an alpha WRs in their prime, younger WRs with upside, elite QBs, diverse youth-centric prospect approach, etc. It is a real service provided by all those involved in the league who are willing to put themselves out there for the good and bad comments which will inevitably follow.

alphaxray
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby alphaxray » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:17 am

flashgordon12 wrote:I think you did. Though Big Ben's offense won't be quite as dynamic without Martavis
Bryant out for the season certainly hurts a bit. Still plenty of firepower in Pittsburgh.

alphaxray
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby alphaxray » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:19 am

theone wrote:One of the things I really like about this thread is that it demonstrates the larger variety of strategies that can be used at the start of a superflex. There are teams that have gone with an alpha WRs in their prime, younger WRs with upside, elite QBs, diverse youth-centric prospect approach, etc. It is a real service provided by all those involved in the league who are willing to put themselves out there for the good and bad comments which will inevitably follow.
I appreciate any and all comments. Thanks for following along!