fantasy impact of coronavirus

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
CGW
Legend
Legend

Re: fantasy impact of coronavirus

Postby CGW » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:42 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:29 pm
CGW wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:25 pm I foresee some crazy combine numbers next year. The top 20-30 players have 0 reason to play in the spring, but will likely be hiring strength coaches and starting workouts sooner than later to perfect their combine drills.
Yeah, I'm not sure how much faster you can get once you hit a certain point. I think it may help that less players will be hurt or coming off a college season and experience burn out, but in terms of speed and agility, I don't expect numbers to be too much different than what those players would have done anyway. They train all year around anyways, and have plenty of time to train for the combine. I mean, I suppose a year of doing the 3 cone will help you a bit, but I think they will be focusing on maintaining and developing their football skills just as much. They are still students, too. I'd personally take the trade off of another season of tape over a good combine as a GM. It's going to be very tough for the scouting community next year.
While i agree on raw traits, it is very easy to focus on certain aspects of the combine. Shuttle and 3 cone would be 2 good obvious examples, but even things like bench press reps and 40y times can be improved with more training on form. Many of these guys typically only have 2 months to train for it. Not saying they will be things we care about, as I certainly don't care about weight lifting or agility drills.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:35 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:18 pm The Big 10 officially cancelled the 2020 football season.
This is just getting ridiculous.

The Big 10 didn’t make their players any safer, they just removed their choice to play football. I’m guessing this was a liability decision by the university presidents who don’t want to face multi-billion dollar class action lawsuits in the future in the event that a few players had negative consequences to catching COVID during the season and have lawyers who somehow legally tie that to football activities rather than anything else the players might be doing into their lives during that time.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I can’t think that this group of high level decision makers think that removing 17-23 yr old males - as a whole a group of people not particularly prone to severe symptoms of the disease - from activities where they would be improving their athletic conditioning and would be closely monitored for their health would be safer in participating in normal activities of the non-athletic members of that group in deference to participating in meetings and practices in controlled environments.

Maybe these big thinkers are so naive that they do believe that the players will retreat to safe spaces where they will relentlessly sterilize the pizza boxes, bags of doritos, and cases of beer that they have delivered instead of doing what males in that age group who are not engaged in football typically do, things like partying, practicing mating rituals, socially interacting, working and even sometimes going to classes or participating in study groups that will put them at even greater risk since they are interacting with a larger universe that is not nearly as closely monitored for health conditions.

In the meantime, players who overwhelmingly want to play, coaches who want to coach, fans who want to watch, and peripheral workers and businesses who directly or indirectly benefit from the season as a significant portion of their livelihood have that option taken from them with no regard to the consequences.

What a damned shame.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:44 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:35 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:18 pm The Big 10 officially cancelled the 2020 football season.

The Big 10 didn’t make their players any safer, they just removed their choice to play football. I’m guessing this was a liability decision by the university presidents who don’t want to face multi-billion dollar class action lawsuits in the future in the event that a few players had negative consequences to catching COVID during the season and have lawyers who somehow legally tie that to football activities rather than anything else the players might be doing into their lives during that time.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I can’t think that this group of high level decision makers think that removing 17-23 yr old males - as a whole a group of people not particularly prone to severe symptoms of the disease - from activities where they would be improving their athletic conditioning and would be closely monitored for their health would be safer in participating in normal activities of the non-athletic members of that group in deference to participating in meetings and practices in controlled environments.

Maybe these big thinkers are so naive that they do believe that the players will retreat to safe spaces where they will relentlessly sterilize the pizza boxes, bags of doritos, and cases of beer that they have delivered instead of doing what males in that age group who are not engaged in football typically do, things like partying, practicing mating rituals, socially interacting, working and even sometimes going to classes or participating in study groups that will put them at even greater risk since they are interacting with a larger universe that is not nearly as closely monitored for health conditions.

In the meantime, players who overwhelmingly want to play, coaches who want to coach, fans who want to watch, and peripheral workers and businesses who directly or indirectly benefit from the season as a significant portion of their livelihood have that option taken from them with no regard to the consequences.

What a damned shame.
:wall:
It has nothing to do with the 17-23 year olds. It has to do with the immunocompromised and elderly.

Additionally they were clear to point out its due to the fact that cases are increasing and the US has been unable to keep infections down. It does not have to do with liability.

Basically because people don't wear masks and don't properly social distance, football seasons are being canceled...
Tm 1
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler, T tracey
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert, T johnson
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Tm 2
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 TE), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Murray, Watson, Maye, McCarthy, R Wilson, howell
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus, Moss, Zeke,
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts, t Johnson, bell
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Tm 3
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2 TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Stafford, heinekie, flacco, browning
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Charb, Z White, R white, McLaughlin, wilson
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, watson
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Tm 4
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Tm 5
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Tm 6
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:56 am

abloom wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:44 am

What a damned shame.
It has nothing to do with the 17-23 year olds. It has to do with the immunocompromised and elderly.

Additionally they were clear to point out its due to the fact that cases are increasing and the US has been unable to keep infections down. It does not have to do with liability.

Basically because people don't wear masks and don't properly social distance, football seasons are being canceled...
I disagree. Believe what you want. But I’m not interested in engaging on that topic here.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:00 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:56 am

What a damned shame.

I disagree. Believe what you want. But I’m not interested in engaging on that topic here.
you are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

Also, why respond then?
Tm 1

Tm 2

Tm 3

Tm 4

Tm 5

Tm 6

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:12 am

abloom wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:00 am

Also, why respond then?
Because it’s a football MB and I responded to the cancellation of the Big 10 football season?

And be careful in thinking you know what the facts are when there are daily reports of “facts” being misrepresented.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:20 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:12 am

Also, why respond then?
Because it’s a football MB and I responded to the cancellation of the Big 10 football season?

And be careful in thinking you know what the facts are when there are daily reports of “facts” being misrepresented.
Like saying that the Big10 canceled their season due to liability concerns when they stated it was due to the fact that the US is seeing a broad increases to the positivity rates in tests?
Tm 1

Tm 2

Tm 3

Tm 4

Tm 5

Tm 6

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:27 am

The game of football is a killer in and of itself. Its barbaric. CTE for these players is far more of a threat than covid will ever be. There are two sides to this whole equation and im sick of it just going back to "Well people die from Covid, no one dies from Covid lockdowns or cancellations". Guess what? They have and they will. 5-10 years from now many of these football players who missed their shot in the pros because they couldnt play this season are going to die for reasons such as substance abuse, suicide, poverty, etc. Perhaps if they had this opportunity they would have had a different life and would have survived. This goes for the general public as well, all these businesses going under and jobs lost are going to kill people, the repercussions of this will kill CHILDREN also which no one mentions. More children will die and suffer from Covid lockdowns and regulations than will from the disease. Why? Because their parents cant feed them, or because they have been forced to stay with abusive parents instead of going to school, or because their parents picked up a drug habit due to depression of not having a job, leaving them to neglect the kids. Why is all of this so hard for people to see? And when i bring up all of this stuff about how these rules are seriously effecting children who are in abusive households, i always get crickets from Team Apocalypse because the thought has never once crossed their mind about these poor kids with abusive parents who now cant go to school and are in a living hell all day. There are two sides here and people really need to stop with the one sided BS. It isnt "just about the immunocompromised and elderly" Its also about kids who are in awful situations needing to get away from awful parents for their own survival, and the only way they get away from those parents are schools, after school sports (coaches who are better mentors than their parents) college sports, etc. Its about players like Josh Jacobs who was homeless but had the opportunity to play D1 athletics and is now a millionaire who is able to set his family up because of that opportunity. Its about them too.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:49 am

Add the 2020 PAC-12 football season to the COVID death list.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Nix
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Connor, Benson
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Woods

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:08 am

I doubt the cancellation of these seasons has much to do with player safety, but more for the fan and admin safety. That said, surely there would be money to be made safely by having games with no fans?

Saban made the comment about his players safest spot right now would be with his football organization where they are in a structured environment throughout the day. I'm sure he got blasted for saying something against the common narrative, but I fully agree with his statement. These kids would be significantly less safe when left to their own devices.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:11 am

Patsfan86 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:27 am The game of football is a killer in and of itself. Its barbaric. CTE for these players is far more of a threat than covid will ever be. There are two sides to this whole equation and im sick of it just going back to "Well people die from Covid, no one dies from Covid lockdowns or cancellations". Guess what? They have and they will. 5-10 years from now many of these football players who missed their shot in the pros because they couldnt play this season are going to die for reasons such as substance abuse, suicide, poverty, etc. Perhaps if they had this opportunity they would have had a different life and would have survived. This goes for the general public as well, all these businesses going under and jobs lost are going to kill people, the repercussions of this will kill CHILDREN also which no one mentions. More children will die and suffer from Covid lockdowns and regulations than will from the disease. Why? Because their parents cant feed them, or because they have been forced to stay with abusive parents instead of going to school, or because their parents picked up a drug habit due to depression of not having a job, leaving them to neglect the kids. Why is all of this so hard for people to see? And when i bring up all of this stuff about how these rules are seriously effecting children who are in abusive households, i always get crickets from Team Apocalypse because the thought has never once crossed their mind about these poor kids with abusive parents who now cant go to school and are in a living hell all day. There are two sides here and people really need to stop with the one sided BS. It isnt "just about the immunocompromised and elderly" Its also about kids who are in awful situations needing to get away from awful parents for their own survival, and the only way they get away from those parents are schools, after school sports (coaches who are better mentors than their parents) college sports, etc. Its about players like Josh Jacobs who was homeless but had the opportunity to play D1 athletics and is now a millionaire who is able to set his family up because of that opportunity. Its about them too.
Sure, there are consequences to lockdown's etc. but they are deemed less severe than the alternative, and that's not surprising, or wrong.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:12 am

abloom wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:20 am

Also, why respond then?

Like saying that the Big10 canceled their season due to liability concerns when they stated it was due to the fact that the US is seeing a broad increases to the positivity rates in tests?
You understand how to identify opinions, right? I even helped you out by leading my opinion with “I’m guessing”. I clearly identified it as my opinion and not as a fact, which you mistakenly claimed.
”The mental and physical health and welfare of our student-athletes has been at the center of every decision we have made regarding the ability to proceed forward,” Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren said in a statement. “As time progressed and after hours of discussion with our Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee, it became abundantly clear that there was too much uncertainty regarding potential medical risks to allow our student-athletes to compete this fall.”
Like I stated, per the quote from the Big 10 commissioner, it’s supposedly about the safety of the student-athletes. Which makes little sense given the facts we know about the virus and then supposing that those students-athletes will be engaging in otherwise more safe behaviors and environments during those times when they would be participating in team activities if they do not play. And remember - prior to this decision any of the students-athletes could make their own choice to not play and a few in fact did.

Quite frankly, that assumption simply does not meet any logical standard. Please make your case otherwise since you seem to believe this, or if I’m wrong and you don’t believe this explanation from the Big 10 commissioner, put forth your opinion as I did mine.

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:26 am

Little bit of an aside- a local news station reported about the economic impact of lost revenue for these universities. sounds like most/many of the other university sports need funding coming from the football revenue- there's going to be a significant trickle down effect
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:29 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:12 am

You understand how to identify opinions, right? I even helped you out by leading my opinion with “I’m guessing”. I clearly identified it as my opinion and not as a fact, which you mistakenly claimed.
”The mental and physical health and welfare of our student-athletes has been at the center of every decision we have made regarding the ability to proceed forward,” Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren said in a statement. “As time progressed and after hours of discussion with our Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee, it became abundantly clear that there was too much uncertainty regarding potential medical risks to allow our student-athletes to compete this fall.”
Like I stated, per the quote from the Big 10 commissioner, it’s supposedly about the safety of the student-athletes. Which makes little sense given the facts we know about the virus and then supposing that those students-athletes will be engaging in otherwise more safe behaviors and environments during those times when they would be participating in team activities if they do not play. And remember - prior to this decision any of the students-athletes could make their own choice to not play and a few in fact did.

Quite frankly, that assumption simply does not meet any logical standard. Please make your case otherwise since you seem to believe this, or if I’m wrong and you don’t believe this explanation from the Big 10 commissioner, put forth your opinion as I did mine.
From Warren:
"Because we announced a schedule does not mean we're going to play," he said. "As you gather information on a daily basis, that's what day-to-day is. We have to still plan. By organizing schedules and making announcements, we made it very clear -- I thought I was very clear in that it's a day-to-day decision, and we're going to do what's best for the health and wellness of our student-athletes."

Warren said the decision was based on the uncertainty that still surrounds the coronavirus pandemic.

"It's a combination of where we are in our testing, where we are in our rapid testing, how is contact tracing actually defined?" he told ESPN. "There's a whole litany of issues. We have incredible policies and procedures in place and our schools, we have 14 schools in 11 different states. People are doing the best they possibly can, but when you go from the acclimation period to getting ready to put on pads and contact, and you look at the overall numbers during this global pandemic as far as caseloads, they have not decreased, they have gone up.

"Trends have not improved, they've become worse. You add that up, and you're getting ready to go into more formal practice, it's just a level of not only concerns, but unknown risks are large. When you're dealing with the health of human beings, it's serious."
Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:12 am

Maybe you meant to then clarify the "I disagree" statement you made. But I was talking about wearing masks and social distancing to reduce spread. Now if you don't disagree with that then thats fine. If you do, see previous statement.
Tm 1

Tm 2

Tm 3

Tm 4

Tm 5

Tm 6

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:41 am

abloom wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:29 am Maybe you meant to then clarify the "I disagree" statement you made. But I was talking about wearing masks and social distancing to reduce spread. Now if you don't disagree with that then thats fine. If you do, see previous statement.
Okay, now we’re talking past each other. Allow me to cut to the quick if I may.

Do you believe that the student-athletes are safer not participating in their falls sports seasons than they would be if they were competing? Because that’s the rationale being put forth for cancelling.