Black Monday 2024 & Offseason Coaching Changes

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Black Monday 2024 & Offseason Coaching Changes

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:27 pm

mild wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:33 pm
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:15 pm I am in agreement Mild about the general state of the Chargers. But one weekend watching games I did see a bit about this with regard to the bolded. It's not a game changer, but at least it's a little something?

https://www.chargers.com/practice-facility/
I have two little nuggets for you from around the NFL podcasting world from this last week, both courtesy of the Athletic.

Robert Mays, talking to Chase Daniel - who had a front row seat to a few of these "bad ownership" situations - about the impact that ownership/facilities has, in a neutral choice situation, for where players want to play:
https://youtu.be/YcuCPYMmdFg?si=2FoAMqrhXNCkkuQE&t=2735

(Should be cued around the 44 minute mark. It does not take a leap to guess if the Chargers would fit the criteria of being (one of?) who he's talking about, based on what we know of that Players Report Cards for their organisations and the Chargers scores on that)

Second: the interview posted today with Diana Russini, where they outright talk about this exact situation - which job is better out of the Falcons vs. the Chargers for a prospective Head Coach. Money quote: "I had a conversation with a potential candidate for that (Chargers HC) ... and... he wants to avoid it." (that situation)
https://theathletic.com/podcast/211-the ... pisode=901

Timestamp of 10 minutes or so.
Again, I think we're in agreement about the state of the team as I mentioned. But at least they are trying to address the crap facilities. Granted, that's window dressing, and doesn't address the culture of the organization.

Frankly, I would be a little concerned if I were rostering Herbert and hoping that he reaches his potential. He might have been better off playing out his rookie contract and then entering free-agency. Of course the risk of injury is likely always top of mind. At least he's getting paid I guess.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:18 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:27 pm Again, I think we're in agreement about the state of the team as I mentioned. But at least they are trying to address the crap facilities. Granted, that's window dressing, and doesn't address the culture of the organization.

Frankly, I would be a little concerned if I were rostering Herbert and hoping that he reaches his potential. He might have been better off playing out his rookie contract and then entering free-agency. Of course the risk of injury is likely always top of mind. At least he's getting paid I guess.
Yeah totally! I was just adding on some supporting evidence to what we are both saying here.

re. Herbert taking the money... I mean... just a general rule in life, but if somebody offers you 262 million dollars... you should probably take it. :D

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:49 am

mild wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:18 am
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:27 pm Again, I think we're in agreement about the state of the team as I mentioned. But at least they are trying to address the crap facilities. Granted, that's window dressing, and doesn't address the culture of the organization.

Yeah totally! I was just adding on some supporting evidence to what we are both saying here.

re. Herbert taking the money... I mean... just a general rule in life, but if somebody offers you 262 million dollars... you should probably take it. :D
Deep Thoughts, by Mild Handy. :D
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:28 am

Getsy (OC) and staff fired.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON (R), Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK (R), CORLEY (R), COWING (R), Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON (R), Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER (R) RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME (R) WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING (R), MWASHINGTON (R) TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS (R), Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE (R), Goff, Cousins, PENIX (R), Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: HARRISON (R), DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS (R), Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, DPJ, Devante TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:05 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:28 am Getsy (OC) and staff fired.
They are keeping Flus? :lol: Classic Bears. :lol:

He's now going to hire 2 new coordinators after his 2 from 2 years ago didn't work out. This is who is trusted with Caleb or Maye? Caleb and Maye should consider going back to school.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:24 am

Bringing Caleb Williams in to be coached by Matt Eberflus is certainly a choice.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:39 am

IDK if they're going to draft Williams. I could see them keep Fields and try to build around him. I honestly don't know WTF they are doing.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON (R), Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK (R), CORLEY (R), COWING (R), Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON (R), Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER (R) RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME (R) WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING (R), MWASHINGTON (R) TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS (R), Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE (R), Goff, Cousins, PENIX (R), Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: HARRISON (R), DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS (R), Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, DPJ, Devante TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:31 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:39 am IDK if they're going to draft Williams. I could see them keep Fields and try to build around him. I honestly don't know WTF they are doing.
Feels like they are leaning toward keeping Fields. At least the odds of that happening have to have gone up.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:18 pm

Schefter saying Pete Carroll might be out as coach, but remain with org.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:26 pm

Yep, he's out as coach. Not sure if he'll have a consultant role, or what.

But there will be a new coaching staff in Seattle for 2024. Been confirmed by ownership, and it's going to dominate the sports radio airwaves around here for a while. Takes some heat off the Huskies for Monday Night.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:28 pm

Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:10 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:39 am IDK if they're going to draft Williams. I could see them keep Fields and try to build around him. I honestly don't know WTF they are doing.
Courtney Cronin just laid out some pretty well-articulated thoughts on this new Bears situation. The part that caught me was how they're "perpetuating the same cycle we've seen since John Fox-Mitchell Trubisky, then Trubkisy-Matt Nagy, then Nagy-Justin Fields, then Fields-Matt Eberflus."

It's so damn true. From her thread here:
Some thoughts:

1. If a contract extension doesn't come for Matt Eberflus (aka assurance for the next offensive staff coming in), then I think it will be challenging for the Bears to find the pool of candidates they want for an OC, QBs coach, etc. If you're an OC with offers to go several places, why take a job with a head coach entering lame duck status who could be gone if the team doesn't win in 2024? If the HC ends up being fired after next season, nearly every time the whole staff is gone. That's something an OC and his offensive staff would have to consider.

2. If the Bears stick with Justin Fields in 2024, they will be asking him to learn his 3rd offense in 4 years. It takes a whole year alone to master the verbiage of an offense as we were told first hand from Fields and his offensive teammates. That seems like a tall ask for a QB still trying to find his footing after 38 career starts.

3. If no extension comes for Eberflus and the Bears trade Fields and draft a rookie QB with the No. 1 overall pick, the team is perpetuating the same cycle we've seen since John Fox-Mitchell Trubisky, then Trubkisy-Matt Nagy, then Nagy-Justin Fields, then Fields-Matt Eberflus. Ultimately, the Bears could have broken that cycle if they decided to make changes across the board but are moving forward with Eberflus in 2024 and a *massive*, franchise-altering decision to make a QB in the coming months.

Stay tuned.
This is already one of the wildest Coaching Carousel cycles I can remember - and I feel like we say that every year.

One thing I'm pretty sure of: there aren't enough rock-solid coaching candidates for all of these vacancies.

Someone is going to end up with some moon-shot OC / HC hires, without a doubt.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:35 pm

mild wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:10 pm
Courtney Cronin just laid out some pretty well-articulated thoughts on this new Bears situation. The part that caught me was how they're "perpetuating the same cycle we've seen since John Fox-Mitchell Trubisky, then Trubkisy-Matt Nagy, then Nagy-Justin Fields, then Fields-Matt Eberflus."

It's so damn true. From her thread here:
Some thoughts:

1. If a contract extension doesn't come for Matt Eberflus (aka assurance for the next offensive staff coming in), then I think it will be challenging for the Bears to find the pool of candidates they want for an OC, QBs coach, etc. If you're an OC with offers to go several places, why take a job with a head coach entering lame duck status who could be gone if the team doesn't win in 2024? If the HC ends up being fired after next season, nearly every time the whole staff is gone. That's something an OC and his offensive staff would have to consider.

2. If the Bears stick with Justin Fields in 2024, they will be asking him to learn his 3rd offense in 4 years. It takes a whole year alone to master the verbiage of an offense as we were told first hand from Fields and his offensive teammates. That seems like a tall ask for a QB still trying to find his footing after 38 career starts.

3. If no extension comes for Eberflus and the Bears trade Fields and draft a rookie QB with the No. 1 overall pick, the team is perpetuating the same cycle we've seen since John Fox-Mitchell Trubisky, then Trubkisy-Matt Nagy, then Nagy-Justin Fields, then Fields-Matt Eberflus. Ultimately, the Bears could have broken that cycle if they decided to make changes across the board but are moving forward with Eberflus in 2024 and a *massive*, franchise-altering decision to make a QB in the coming months.

Stay tuned.
This is already one of the wildest Coaching Carousel cycles I can remember - and I feel like we say that every year.

One thing I'm pretty sure of: there aren't enough rock-solid coaching candidates for all of these vacancies.

Someone is going to end up with some moon-shot OC / HC hires, without a doubt.
I made this exact concern in the Bears thread a day or two ago. History repeating itself, and I'm not sure that's a good thing in Bearsland.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:52 pm

It's so frustrating.
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:54 pm

Pete Carroll is moving to a front office advisory role with the Seahawks. Is that a promotion?