Week 14 Discussion

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jfever
Legend
Legend

Re: Week 14 Discussion

Postby Jfever » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:19 am

Question. What are our thoughts on tie breakers after overall record? I see the logic behind total points being a good measure of team strength and success. What about head to head? In my big money league, we have a 10-3 team, a 9-4 team, 6 teams @ 7-6, then 4 that for sure will miss playoffs. In this league the top 6 make playoffs. Looks as if a few spots are up in the air and will be decided this week. The one issue I have is that it's possible for a team that is 9-10th in overall scoring to be seeded 4th in our playoff seeding while someone with the same record will miss the playoffs all together but their squad is noticiably better and they've scored 300-400 more points on the year.

Can someone walk me through this logic? I'm not raising a fuss at all in my league but it sure does seem that our commisioner is dead set on head to head being the first tie breaker after overall record. In the 20+ years that I've done fantasy and the 12 that I've done dynasty, I dont think I've ever seen a tie breaker come down to head to head before total points.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:35 am

JFever wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:19 am Question. What are our thoughts on tie breakers after overall record? I see the logic behind total points being a good measure of team strength and success. What about head to head? In my big money league, we have a 10-3 team, a 9-4 team, 6 teams @ 7-6, then 4 that for sure will miss playoffs. In this league the top 6 make playoffs. Looks as if a few spots are up in the air and will be decided this week. The one issue I have is that it's possible for a team that is 9-10th in overall scoring to be seeded 4th in our playoff seeding while someone with the same record will miss the playoffs all together but their squad is noticiably better and they've scored 300-400 more points on the year.

Can someone walk me through this logic? I'm not raising a fuss at all in my league but it sure does seem that our commisioner is dead set on head to head being the first tie breaker after overall record. In the 20+ years that I've done fantasy and the 12 that I've done dynasty, I dont think I've ever seen a tie breaker come down to head to head before total points.
H2H tiebreaker is a pain for many reasons, unless it's just 2 teams in question. When there's multiple teams, you can have an uneven amount of games played vs each other. There was a whole thread on this before (many times I'm sure) that raised even more issues as well. I recommend points for as that's most fair and easy imo. This is a hobby and shouldn't require a group meeting to discuss how team A slipped in past team b, c, d and e. Keep it simple

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:41 am

I wouldn’t be in a league that had playoffs starting this week. Would have either lobbied hard enough to change the playoff format or walked before the season started. Having playoffs while teams are on bye is legitimately unfair, it gives a competitive edge to teams that don’t have to worry about bye issues. It’s the playoffs, everyone should be on equal footing.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:52 am

Claypool cost his team early in the game with a dumb taunting call. Then there was this. The guy clearly plays for himself, and is more concerned about posturing than his team trying to win. It boggles my mind that pro players don't understand situational football. I am not sure Claypool doesn't at this point. It seems he just doesn't care. I'm glad I traded him, as I like to cheer for the players on my rosters, and this guy is nearly impossible to cheer for, and I say that as a Canadian.

https://twitter.com/bepryor/status/1469169655545741312
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:23 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:52 am Claypool cost his team early in the game with a dumb taunting call. Then there was this. The guy clearly plays for himself, and is more concerned about posturing than his team trying to win. It boggles my mind that pro players don't understand situational football. I am not sure Claypool doesn't at this point. It seems he just doesn't care. I'm glad I traded him, as I like to cheer for the players on my rosters, and this guy is nearly impossible to cheer for, and I say that as a Canadian.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EvansWRLD/st ... 9099629571

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:36 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:23 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:52 am Claypool cost his team early in the game with a dumb taunting call. Then there was this. The guy clearly plays for himself, and is more concerned about posturing than his team trying to win. It boggles my mind that pro players don't understand situational football. I am not sure Claypool doesn't at this point. It seems he just doesn't care. I'm glad I traded him, as I like to cheer for the players on my rosters, and this guy is nearly impossible to cheer for, and I say that as a Canadian.

:lol:
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:01 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:36 pm

:lol:
His response is the worst part of this
"I got tackled near the hash, did my little first-down point and went to hand the ball to the ref. He had just got there. So, even if I got right up and looked for him, he wasn't there. He ran down the field to come get the ball. The ball got knocked out of my hands. That's what cost us time. But I definitely do have to be better. I knew the situation. " 

Just yeah it wasn't my fault the ref just want there I knew what was going on and it didn't matter

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:17 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:35 am
JFever wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:19 am Question. What are our thoughts on tie breakers after overall record? I see the logic behind total points being a good measure of team strength and success. What about head to head? In my big money league, we have a 10-3 team, a 9-4 team, 6 teams @ 7-6, then 4 that for sure will miss playoffs. In this league the top 6 make playoffs. Looks as if a few spots are up in the air and will be decided this week. The one issue I have is that it's possible for a team that is 9-10th in overall scoring to be seeded 4th in our playoff seeding while someone with the same record will miss the playoffs all together but their squad is noticiably better and they've scored 300-400 more points on the year.

H2H tiebreaker is a pain for many reasons, unless it's just 2 teams in question. When there's multiple teams, you can have an uneven amount of games played vs each other. There was a whole thread on this before (many times I'm sure) that raised even more issues as well. I recommend points for as that's most fair and easy imo. This is a hobby and shouldn't require a group meeting to discuss how team A slipped in past team b, c, d and e. Keep it simple
Total points makes way more sense. Unlike the real NFL teams we’re (sort of) imitating in fantasy, your players don’t actually play against your opponent’s players in a given week, so head to head is the equivalent of a random number generator as a tie breaker.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers,l
RB: Pacheco, Spears, Ray Davis, Hubbard, Khalil Herbert, McLaughlin, Ty Chandler, Miles Sanders
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, Rashee, Keon Coleman, Pearsall, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, McCaffrey
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:53 pm

Elijah Mitchell ruled out with knee/concussion. Next man up. Hasty or Wilson?
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:17 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:53 pm Elijah Mitchell ruled out with knee/concussion. Next man up. Hasty or Wilson?
I'd like to say Wilson. Might start him in a pinch if Henderson looks iffy since he plays MNF. Probably a mix of the 2 though for sure

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:46 pm

:clap: :lol:

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:53 pm

There was a point this off-season, and somewhat into the early stage of this season, where I liked Claypool a -lot- as a cheaper acquire. Talent is certainly there, and you've got to figure if they can upgrade to even league-average QB play, he could go seriously big.

But man. This dude is the biggest young head case we've seen in a while at WR. We piled on Juju for dancing and making videos... Claypool is outright out here losing games for his team and suggesting they need "music at practice, to help us get into it" :lol:

I'll be avoiding, no thanks.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:23 pm

mild wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:53 pm

There was a point this off-season, and somewhat into the early stage of this season, where I liked Claypool a -lot- as a cheaper acquire. Talent is certainly there, and you've got to figure if they can upgrade to even league-average QB play, he could go seriously big.

But man. This dude is the biggest young head case we've seen in a while at WR. We piled on Juju for dancing and making videos... Claypool is outright out here losing games for his team and suggesting they need "music at practice, to help us get into it" :lol:

Yep. As a Canadian, I want to cheer for the few Canadians in the league. I can't do it with this guy. He just exemplifies everything I'm against in team sports.
Janiel Dones Truther

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:05 am

I honestly started thinking of Martavis Bryant when watching him out there.

I also remember when everyone was going nuts and had Claypool > Juju and Diontae. Good times.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:46 am

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:05 am

I honestly started thinking of Martavis Bryant when watching him out there.

I also remember when everyone was going nuts and had Claypool > Juju and Diontae. Good times.
I mean I'd still have Claypool over Juju...

Being a knucklehead doesn't preclude one from scoring fantasy points
Last edited by StripesOfKC on Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.