Tom Brady: End of an Era?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dlf_jacobf
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Brady 5 TD's tonight?

Postby dlf_jacobf » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:49 am

I think that the McNabb play a few years back was ruled as an "incomplete lateral pass" (which is still a fumble) from Brown that was picked up by Buckhalter and ran in. Since yesterday's fumble was forward, I don't think it can fit into anything that could be connected to Brady.

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:12 am

CokeAndBacardi wrote:That was a fumble recovery TD, not a passing/receiving TD. Shouldn't count unless you get points for that type of TD. Brady will stay at 4.
Thank God, I'm one of those guys it will hurt if the play get's changed.

WashingtonFever
Role Player
Role Player

Postby WashingtonFever » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:34 am

dlf_jacobf wrote:I think that the McNabb play a few years back was ruled as an "incomplete lateral pass" (which is still a fumble) from Brown that was picked up by Buckhalter and ran in. Since yesterday's fumble was forward, I don't think it can fit into anything that could be connected to Brady.
Looks like it was backwards. I couldn't remember how it went down for sure so I looked it up on youtube.

It occurs around the 1:30 mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LziPJmDC5Xc

Also, the fumble from 2006 never hits the ground (if that matters).

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:57 am

Go_Pack_Go wrote:
dlf_jacobf wrote:I think that the McNabb play a few years back was ruled as an "incomplete lateral pass" (which is still a fumble) from Brown that was picked up by Buckhalter and ran in. Since yesterday's fumble was forward, I don't think it can fit into anything that could be connected to Brady.
Looks like it was backwards. I couldn't remember how it went down for sure so I looked it up on youtube.

That looks like more of a lateral, which would be a passing/receiving TD. Buckhalter probably got 0 receptions, X yards and a TD on that play.
10 Team/26-man dynasty/PPR/Year 10/4-6 pt TDs/2QB-2RB-2WR-2RB/WR-2TE
QB-Goff/Rosen/Lock/Grier/Luck
RB-Mack/Hunt/RoJones/Bernard/Snell/AP/Edwards/Ajayi
WR-ODB/Robinson/T.Williams/Davis/Anderson/Cobb/Renfrow
TE-Kelce/Goedert/Njoku/Rudolph/Oliver
2020 - Currently and likely 1.01, have all of my own picks

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:01 am

CokeAndBacardi wrote:
Go_Pack_Go wrote:

That looks like more of a lateral, which would be a passing/receiving TD. Buckhalter probably got 0 receptions, X yards and a TD on that play.
Looks like the official game book credits a 55 yard TD to Buckhalter. I imagine they didn't give the original receiver possession. Either way, it's very different from the Brady/Lloyd TD.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:18 am

Classic N.E. running up the score. Again.

Owners of the skilled position N.E. players love it. Everyone else in the world shakes their head.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:41 am

JFever wrote:Classic N.E. running up the score. Again.

Owners of the skilled position N.E. players love it. Everyone else in the world shakes their head.
11 rushes and 19 pass attempts in the first half... 22 rushes and 17 pass attempts in the second half.

I don't think it's running up the score more than it is just not taking their foot off the gas. A lot of teams get up, change their game plan and stop having the success they found early. Against a team/defense like Houston, you can't afford to just settle with a 2-3 TD lead.

I have no issue with any professional team keeping the pedal all the way down in a blowout. You need to play your best football at all times. Points scored/allowed are factored into deep tie-breakers as well.

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:28 pm

Watched several teams blow leads in the last few weeks from safe play calling. I don't think its bad to play aggressive. Bengals lost because they slowed everything down.

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:29 pm

balaberda wrote:Watched several teams blow leads in the last few weeks from safe play calling. I don't think its bad to play aggressive. Bengals lost because they slowed everything down.
exactly...that caused the saints to lose a few early too (against the Chiefs for example)
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:51 pm

11 rushes and 19 pass attempts in the first half... 22 rushes and 17 pass attempts in the second half.

I don't think it's running up the score more than it is just not taking their foot off the gas. A lot of teams get up, change their game plan and stop having the success they found early. Against a team/defense like Houston, you can't afford to just settle with a 2-3 TD lead.

I have no issue with any professional team keeping the pedal all the way down in a blowout. You need to play your best football at all times. Points scored/allowed are factored into deep tie-breakers as well.

I get your point to an extent as far as points scored / allowed into "DEEP" tiebreakers but in this case I think the game went a touch overboard. But, you neverknow, Houston could technically lose out and thus lose the #1 seed while N.E. could win out and thus swap with them.

Houston's offense was horrific and frankly innept. While the Pat's Def was very solid in pass and run defense. Houston Didn't get into the redzone in the 1st quarter once and only 2 times in the WHOLE game... Spin it how you will but that game last night was not close. Not at all. Certainly not close enough to warrent the 17 pass attempts in the 2nd half. Houston had no consistant run game and the only reliable wr was A.Johnson. Houston got behind early and then Shaub was pressured and Foster was held in check. Houston's game plan flat out did not work they were out played and out coached.

NO reason to even think that they (Pats) "HAD" to keep the foot to the gas. But... we've all come to expect that out of Belichick. I've commented on this before and I'm sure I'll do it again. It is his philosophy and clearly it works for him. I just don't like it is all. And, a 2-3 TD lead isn't enough.. c'mon Houston's 2nd score came at the 2 min warning of the 4th quarter while they were down by 5-6 TD's. Are you guys even serious? Tell me why it makes sense to pass it 17 times (some deep) after you are up by 4-5 TD's.... I hate to say it but one of these times... it's gonna cost them dearly. Can't wait.

Oh, I was hoping the Texans would win by the way... lol.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:45 pm

JFever wrote:11 rushes and 19 pass attempts in the first half... 22 rushes and 17 pass attempts in the second half.

I get your point to an extent as far as points scored / allowed into "DEEP" tiebreakers but in this case I think the game went a touch overboard. But, you neverknow, Houston could technically lose out and thus lose the #1 seed while N.E. could win out and thus swap with them.

Houston's offense was horrific and frankly innept. While the Pat's Def was very solid in pass and run defense. Houston Didn't get into the redzone in the 1st quarter once and only 2 times in the WHOLE game... Spin it how you will but that game last night was not close. Not at all. Certainly not close enough to warrent the 17 pass attempts in the 2nd half. Houston had no consistant run game and the only reliable wr was A.Johnson. Houston got behind early and then Shaub was pressured and Foster was held in check. Houston's game plan flat out did not work they were out played and out coached.

NO reason to even think that they (Pats) "HAD" to keep the foot to the gas. But... we've all come to expect that out of Belichick. I've commented on this before and I'm sure I'll do it again. It is his philosophy and clearly it works for him. I just don't like it is all. And, a 2-3 TD lead isn't enough.. c'mon Houston's 2nd score came at the 2 min warning of the 4th quarter while they were down by 5-6 TD's. Are you guys even serious? Tell me why it makes sense to pass it 17 times (some deep) after you are up by 4-5 TD's.... I hate to say it but one of these times... it's gonna cost them dearly. Can't wait.

Oh, I was hoping the Texans would win by the way... lol.
The Patriots were up 21-0 at halftime. They came out and threw 27, 18, 31 and 27 yards down field on the opening drive. All of those deep passes fell incomplete. After that, Brady threw the following distances downfield: 6, 2, 2, 32 (TD/kill shot to go up 28-0), 5, 7, 4, 14, 6, -4, 7, 0. They didn't pass after 9:41 in the 4th.

Call it what you want but that looks like good football to me. The only alternative against a team that was 11-1 is to rush, rush, rush. Considering Houston is 3rd in rush yards allowed and New England is 18th in yards per rush, I don't see what's so bad about going for the kill shot early and then keeping it short/simple to stay balanced the rest of the way.

Just curious - How will this cost them dearly? Injuries?

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:48 pm

CokeAndBacardi wrote:Just curious - How will this cost them dearly? Injuries?
Ask Rob Gronkowski lol
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)

QB –
TE –

QB – Joe Burrow
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:57 pm

joeday wrote:
Ask Rob Gronkowski lol
So what are we talking about? Only running the ball in the 2nd half or pulling starters or both?

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:06 pm

CokeAndBacardi wrote:
joeday wrote:
Ask Rob Gronkowski lol
So what are we talking about? Only running the ball in the 2nd half or pulling starters or both?
These guys are professionals. Are we worried about feelings getting hurt? Brady doesn't like coming out even for kneel downs. I doubt he wants to come out against supposedly the best team in the AFC in the midst of an MVP season. Most players have escalators and incentives in their contracts for hitting certain performance levels or snap percentages as well. Can't forget about fans around the world who paid to see guys like Brady play.

We can call it running up the score or whatever. The Patriots win their division every year and are always Super Bowl contenders. I can't think of a ton of teams with their credentials who flipped the competitive switch on and off at will.

Look at what the Texans did last week against the Titans - they let up in the 2nd half and weren't ready to play this week in New England.

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:20 pm

CokeAndBacardi wrote:
CokeAndBacardi wrote:
joeday wrote: Ask Rob Gronkowski lol
These guys are professionals. Are we worried about feelings getting hurt? Brady doesn't like coming out even for kneel downs. I doubt he wants to come out against supposedly the best team in the AFC in the midst of an MVP season. Most players have escalators and incentives in their contracts for hitting certain performance levels or snap percentages as well. Can't forget about fans around the world who paid to see guys like Brady play.

We can call it running up the score or whatever. The Patriots win their division every year and are always Super Bowl contenders. I can't think of a ton of teams with their credentials who flipped the competitive switch on and off at will.

Look at what the Texans did last week against the Titans - they let up in the 2nd half and weren't ready to play this week in New England.
Oh I have no problem with people keeping their foot on the gas, and agree with Jimmy Johnsons philosophy of "if you don't want to see us celebrate then stop us" mentality. The Seahawks replaced all their starters in the 2nd half and ran a similar offense as they ran in the first. I have ZERO problem with it (and in fact, enjoy it)...I even made the point that the Saints lost at least one game earlier this year by taking their foot off the gas. But you asked JFever, I believe, "Just curious - How will this cost them dearly?"...and my response was Ask Rob Gronkowski. He got hurt LATE in the game against the Rams, when he shouldn't have even been out there. Up 38-7 in the 4th Quarter with like 10 mins left in the game on 1st and goal catches a TD to make it 45-7. Why, up 31 points, against the lowly Rams offense is Gronk, Brady, Welker, etc all still in?
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)

QB –
TE –

QB – Joe Burrow
TE – Trey McBride