Forum Downtime Friday Night

Administrative announcements, suggestions, opinions, complaints, problems, wish list items. Whatever it is about the administration or operation of the site or forum, you can find or post it here.
dlf_kenm
Administrator

Re: Forum Downtime Friday Night

Postby dlf_kenm » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:28 am

skip wrote:Been offline since Thursday so this is my first day with the new forum and while some of the enhanced look is nice, its much more confusing. The old look was great in its simplicity. Easy to determine what was old or new, etc. Now I've got all kinds of goofy icons and who knows what is new and what isn't. It also makes each thread take up multiple times the space on the screen.

Less simplicity, more bloat and confusion. Went in to see if it can be customized and it can't. :-( Let's hope there is an option to do so on the horizon (as in asap).
Yes, I agree, there is more going on on the screen. The upgrade was a necessity as the forum software we were running was extremely old and out of date. The upgrade had to happen, so here we are. I too still have some lingering issues with the look and feel, and will continue moddifying the code to the extent that I can in order to bring soem of the best features from the old forum to this forum.

As far as whats unread, if you see a red icon, that means it's unread. Red = unread.

What specifically were you looking to customize?

Thanks

Ken

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:30 am

hostile wrote:
dlf_kenm wrote:

OK, I think I may have fixed this. Was it just this forum (Site Announcements) you guys were experiencing this issue? Or were there other forums?

Thanks

Ken

:D
Honestly... I couldnt tell ya.

This is the only forum I've really looked at since Fri night... been a hectic weekend.

However, the forum is now barking at me that I can only embed a max of 3 quotes? Tried replying directly to this but ended up having to take everything else out to meet my "Quote quota".
Fixed the max nested quotes thingy. Thanks

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:25 am

dlf_kenm wrote:What specifically were you looking to customize?
Get rid of the new graphics next to each thread to make them simplified.
Make topic names bold that weren't read and normal when they have been.
Move names and avatars back to the left.

Essentially as much as possible to get a simple, basic look like the old site.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:30 am

skip wrote:

OK Skip, I'll see what I can do.

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:34 am

cowboys85 wrote:
dlf_kenm wrote:
cowboys85 wrote:Anyone having any trouble with pictures in signatures? I get an error that says: "You cannot use certain BBCodes: [img]."
This should be fixed as well. Give it a go.

On a side note, I have set the limits for banner images in sigs to be limited to a max of 400px wide by 100px tall. I'm trying to limit the added scrolling and distraction some of these banner sig images create. If this limit really cramps your style, shout out to me. But really, I'd like to keep those sig images as minimalist as possible.

Existing sig images are not bound by this new restriction, but if you find yourself already making use of one of these large sig images, you wouldn't hurt my feelings if you downsized a bit.

Thanks
Any chance I could squeeze 50 pixels out of you Ken? I think most images that were made for us are 400 X 150 pixels. When I went to update my signature I couldn't edit it because the picture wasn't allowed. So I think if you have an existing larger pic you can keep it, but you'll be unable to edit your signature.
400 x 150 it is then!

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:03 am

dlf_kenm wrote:
skip wrote:

I am sure I am being a pain here. Just not a look I care much for. If there isn't much you can do, so be it. Sounds like a lot of other people like it. Just wondering how much of it we can freely customize and what we can't.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:24 am

skip wrote:
dlf_kenm wrote:
skip wrote: Get rid of the new graphics next to each thread to make them simplified.

I am sure I am being a pain here. Just not a look I care much for. If there isn't much you can do, so be it. Sounds like a lot of other people like it. Just wondering how much of it we can freely customize and what we can't.
Not a pain at all Skip. That's why I ask for feedback. If you don't speak up, I don't know what to address. Certainly I have to look at all of the feedback and make decisions on how to spend my time with the big picture in mind, but that's not to say your comments are not appreciated and will not be addressed. In fact I agree with much of what you say, though I think on some of the issues it comes down to a simple difference in personal design preference. Like the user info on the left. I didn't design it that way, that's just how this template came. And at first it kind of bugged me, but after a few days of working with it, I'm actually kind of liking it. I find that the content jumps at me a little more if the avatar and user info is not the first thing I see. I don't think there is a right or wrong there, just a preference thing.

For the stuff you mentioned, there are not user-level customization controls. phpBB (wisely) separates out the operational code from the presentation code, so we can apply the look and feel of the site through the use of various templates. But what can be controlled by the user and what cannot is dictated by the phpBB3 codebase, not in the templates. Now, I also am a huge huge fan of very simple, clean sites which focus on usability over flash. But my options were limited to the templates which were available for phpBB3. There were a few which were a bit more minimalist than this, but most were much more... ahhh... flashy, ugly, dark, cluttered, etc. I had to strike a balance between clean and simple, and a design which is vaguely consistent with the look and feel of the main site. I selected one which more or less fit the bill but which could be modified to better fit the needs of the community here as well as the overall design objectives of the site as a whole.

So to address what you brought up, what I am looking into is setting up a totally separate style template for the forum, a totally stripped down version. Then giving each person the ability to choose between this version and the stripped down version. And by stripped down, I don't mean functionality, rather just a very clean, minimalist look and feel. But that may take a bit, and honestly my priority right now will be fine tuning this template, and getting familiar with the new phpBB3 codebase.

So hang in there, it will come, just might take a bit.

Thanks

cowboys85
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cowboys85 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:24 am

dlf_kenm wrote:
cowboys85 wrote:
dlf_kenm wrote: This should be fixed as well. Give it a go.

On a side note, I have set the limits for banner images in sigs to be limited to a max of 400px wide by 100px tall. I'm trying to limit the added scrolling and distraction some of these banner sig images create. If this limit really cramps your style, shout out to me. But really, I'd like to keep those sig images as minimalist as possible.

Existing sig images are not bound by this new restriction, but if you find yourself already making use of one of these large sig images, you wouldn't hurt my feelings if you downsized a bit.

Thanks
Any chance I could squeeze 50 pixels out of you Ken? I think most images that were made for us are 400 X 150 pixels. When I went to update my signature I couldn't edit it because the picture wasn't allowed. So I think if you have an existing larger pic you can keep it, but you'll be unable to edit your signature.
400 x 150 it is then!
Thanks Ken!
ECFFL (Commissioner) - Mullet Mullitia
Gridiron 3 - Hamden Hawks
UDL - Connecticut Cowboys

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:28 am

I was Wondering if we can have a larger avatar, I think its limited to 90 X 90 pixels which is a lot tougher to find a good picture for. Not saying that we should have huge avatars that take up too much space, just a bit bigger :D
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:59 pm

Shawn wrote:I was Wondering if we can have a larger avatar, I think its limited to 90 X 90 pixels which is a lot tougher to find a good picture for. Not saying that we should have huge avatars that take up too much space, just a bit bigger :D
OK, how about 100x100?

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:02 pm

dlf_kenm wrote:
Shawn wrote:I was Wondering if we can have a larger avatar, I think its limited to 90 X 90 pixels which is a lot tougher to find a good picture for. Not saying that we should have huge avatars that take up too much space, just a bit bigger :D
OK, how about 100x100?

Sounds good, :D
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:29 am

The banners being on the bottom of the forum is a great change... :D

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:34 am

Steelersfan wrote:The banners being on the bottom of the forum is a great change... :D
Probably only going to be there for the home page. Trying to make it fit in just above teh content area on the otehr pages - without whacking out the page layout too much. The advertisers tend to get a little touchy about their ads being below the fold. :(

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:37 am

Hey Ken,

Site looks great. Did we lose the ability to jump between threads in the same section? I really liked being able to click on next topic, or previous topic so i didn't have to keep running out to the bigger indexes. Is that gone, or am I just missing where it is? Thanks.

JB
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:48 am

BubbaBurst wrote:Hey Ken,

Site looks great. Did we lose the ability to jump between threads in the same section? I really liked being able to click on next topic, or previous topic so i didn't have to keep running out to the bigger indexes. Is that gone, or am I just missing where it is? Thanks.

JB

Wow, didn't even know we had that ability on the old forum. I don't see it offhand in this template, but I'll dig around and see if I can reproduce that feature. Thanks!

Ken