George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

Postby murphysxm » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:31 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:24 am I’d much rather get the platitudes (reference Bull Durham) than seeing a response with such an utter lack of humility, self awareness, and respect for other guys who have gotten it done at a high level.
my opinion of you just increased.... Just don't think meat
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

PigeonBoys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PigeonBoys » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:31 am

Ice wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:44 am
frerichs5 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:18 am I’m not a big believer in Pickens and can’t get a sniff for even a late future 1st for him. He may not have as many believers as I’d have guessed based on hype.
Not a good time to sell this player. The Steelers were the 24th ranked passing team last season breaking in a new QB and he was a rookie. Steeler WR's have a tendency to breakout in year 2.

Patience with him should benefit your team this year and increase his value.
I'll play devils advocate here. Are we sure the Steelers are going to be better this year? That assumes Pickett takes a leap, without Pickett making that leap I don't see a lot of upside here. The breakout in year 2 happened alot when they had Big Ben at QB which is a far cry from Kenny Pickett. And yes I am not a fan of Pickens game so take it with a grain of salt, nothing frustrates me more than a guy of his size not utilizing it, I mean the guy was atrocious in the red zone last year which should be his calling card at 6'3". Some of that is Pickett was downright awful in the RZ as well but catching 1 of 7 inside the 10 isn't a great look regardless. Like I said take it for what it's worth as I've been playing pessimistic to say the least as it relates to Pickens' long term outlook.
12 Team .5 PPR Dynasty Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1FLEX, 1TE, 1 DEF, 1K

2018: 2nd 🥈
2019: Champs :dance: 🏆
2020: 2nd 🥈
2021: 2nd 🥈
2022: 2nd 🥈
2023: Champs :dance: 🏆

QB: L. Jackson, D.Prescott, K. Cousins
RB: S. Barkley, A. Kamara, A. Jones, T. Benson, K. Miller, J. Ford, D. Singletary, J. Williams
WR: J. Jefferson, A.St. Brown, DK Metcalf, M. Brown, N. Collins, C. Kirk, J. Smith-Schuster, KJ Osborn, M. Washington
TE: D. Njoku, D. Goedert, B. Sinnott

Draft picks:
2025 - 1st (Mid), 2nd, (early), 2nd (Late), 3rd, 4th, 4th
2026 - 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 4th
2027 - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:04 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:24 am These kinds of interview responses spook me a bit. I’d much rather get the platitudes (reference Bull Durham) than seeing a response with such an utter lack of humility, self awareness, and respect for other guys who have gotten it done at a high level. It makes me wonder if they have the mentality to do what it takes to make themselves better when they already think they are one of - if not the - best in the game. Don’t get me wrong, I love a deep competitive fire, but this does not show that IMO. It tells me this guy honestly thinks he’s already there.
Spot on with how I feel, and why I posted. While reading, I was somewhat stunned. The guy honestly thinks 52/801/4 was deserving of a Pro Bowl nod!? And then kind of dismisses the stellar WR's who actually were nominated?! Also agree about fire and drive. It's good to see in young players, but Pickens' statement doesn't come across as that IMO.

It's in line with how I'd rather see drafted rookies say something to the effect of "Time to get to work!" instead of "Time to get paid!".
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:14 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:04 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:24 am These kinds of interview responses spook me a bit. I’d much rather get the platitudes (reference Bull Durham) than seeing a response with such an utter lack of humility, self awareness, and respect for other guys who have gotten it done at a high level. It makes me wonder if they have the mentality to do what it takes to make themselves better when they already think they are one of - if not the - best in the game. Don’t get me wrong, I love a deep competitive fire, but this does not show that IMO. It tells me this guy honestly thinks he’s already there.
Spot on with how I feel, and why I posted. While reading, I was somewhat stunned. The guy honestly thinks 52/801/4 was deserving of a Pro Bowl nod!? And then kind of dismisses the stellar WR's who actually were nominated?! Also agree about fire and drive. It's good to see in young players, but Pickens' statement doesn't come across as that IMO.

It's in line with how I'd rather see drafted rookies say something to the effect of "Time to get to work!" instead of "Time to get paid!".
He is entering year 2 gentlemen. While he has a high opinion of himself, that is pretty much an Alpha WR mindset for many and while we may not like it, it does seem to be pretty normal.

We all know or should know almost none of these players enter the league a finished product talent wise or emotionally. Should also be noted he was coming off an ACL in 2021 and was impressive just one year removed.

I am sure he wants to get paid but he isn't even eligible for an extension yet so he will have to actually prove he is worth a second contract.

I don't own the player but do think selling him on the cheap at this point is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Classic hold unless you can buy from those that panic and undersell. He is the type of player you buy on based on his potential.

He had a nice start to his career. He should take another step this year as the offense opens up. Like the posted mentioned he can't even get a 1st for him but selling him for a 2nd or 3rd now seems almost foolish given his trajectory. He is locked in as a starter on a team that knows how to get a lot out of the WR group. Obviously, there are some questions with the young QB but he should get better and Pickens should grow with him.

No doubt some will look for the negative and that is understandable but I think Pickett did win 5 of his last 6 with the only loss was when he attempted a single pass before exiting with a concussion I think.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:22 am

Ice wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:14 am
He is entering year 2 gentlemen.
Then he knows better - or should. That kind of nonsense coming from a rookie could be filed under “He’s too green to know any better.”. This kid, by his own statements, is convinced that it is a fact that he is among the best in the league, if not the best. If Hill, Diggs, Adams, and Chase don’t excite him, then who does? Himself, I guess.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:55 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:04 am. The guy honestly thinks 52/801/4 was deserving of a Pro Bowl nod!? And then kind of dismisses the stellar WR's who actually were nominated?! Also agree about fire and drive. It's good to see in young players, but Pickens' statement doesn't come across as that IMO.
I think it was less "my stats make me a Pro Bowl player" than it was "my skill makes me a Pro Bowl player."

I don't think Pickens should have been a Pro Bowl player last year, but I have no problem with him thinking he has the skill to do it.

I think his complaint about RAC receivers was more about valuing the ability to make a tough catch more than a scheme WR who gets a lot of RAC because of the system he plays in. Not that I fully agree with that, but I can see how a player might appreciate a more talented player over a system star. Game recognizes game, and all that.

Matt Stafford always thought he was a championship caliber QB who never had the chance to push a competitive team deep into the playoffs. When put on a good team, he immediately proved he was indeed a championship caliber QB. I think Pickens sees himself the same way. Pickens feels his talent is worthy of the Pro Bowl, but he's waiting for his situation to give him a chance to prove it to those who recognize only stats. Egotistical? 100%, but I don't take fantasy value away from him just because he already thinks he's a T8 NFL WR.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:25 am

He's always been a nutjob

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:42 pm

I don't own the player but do think selling him on the cheap at this point is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Classic hold unless you can buy from those that panic and undersell. He is the type of player you buy on based on his potential.
Assuming that Pickens is the baby in this analogy, who or what is the bathwater? Or do you not understand what this saying means?
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:29 pm

Hottoddies wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:42 pm
Assuming that Pickens is the baby in this analogy, who or what is the bathwater? Or do you not understand what this saying means?
Perhaps it is not me that doesn’t comprehend potential.

Carry on!

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:31 pm

The baby is the assumed production of the player if he achieves his potential. The bathwater is the retrievable value a disappointing player has. A disappointing player creates doubt a manager feels about the player ever achieving his potential. When a manager overreacts to the cooling bathwater and decides to toss it out, the manager has to make sure the baby actually has lost his potential.

Some managers try to hit a sweet spot where they jump the gun on declaring a player (the baby) a bust and trading him before all the signs truly indicate a bust. Do that and maybe you can retrieve some value for a failed player. Miscalculate and trade a player just before he achieves his potential and that is an example of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Think about the people who gave up on Derrick Henry when he was not receiving enough touches his first two seasons. Imagine how you would feel if you traded Henry after year two, then he did what he did later?

It's no fun to hold a player for potential so long that everyone knows he's worthless and he no longer has any value to retrieve. But I think it's worse to trade a player before he's had a real chance to prove his worth or uselessness. We all do it in different situations - I try not to do it too often.

What do we do with the poop if the baby defecates in the bathwater?
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:42 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:29 pm

Carry on!
Oh I comprehend and, being an eternal optimist, believe in potential. And I actually agree with you that George Pickens has a great deal of talent and the potential for greatness and that it would be a mistake to prematurely sell him for less than that value. I'm just not totally clear on what you consider the "bathwater" is that should be thrown out sans Pickens' potential value.

Now if you consider that the bathwater is Pickens' perceived low value and that that perception is wrong, perhaps you don't think that the bathwater is dirty and doesn't need to be tossed out or that there isn't really any bathwater at all and just the baby?

Sorry for the diatribe but this is one of my favorite sayings and I just hate to see it misused.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:20 pm

Pickens is one of the toughest players to decide on.

On one hand, you have a ton of negative metrics that point to him being the next Gabe Davis.

On the other, you have a lot of situational room for improvement, the ACL, the Steelers OC, Pickett as a rookie, the "dog" mentality, etc

The low team target % last year is a red flag. Falling to the end of the 2nd round, also not great.

But I also think to develop running routes in college you have to be physically able to run. You can't do that with a torn ACL. His development may be delayed because of that and you either believe, he's a young naturally talented WR that can improve on his rookie season, which wasn't terrible, or he's already showed us every bit of who he was last year.

I think I'm willing to give chance to the former.

I payed the 1.10-1.11 for him I think? At that price he ain't worth selling for a 2nd. Or even two 2nds. Not in this year's 2nd round.

What he ultimately does in Year 2 is a make or break year for him.

We need the closely track his team target share %. If he cant find a way to become a target earner I don't want to bet on these types of WRs. They need elite WRs to pan out and we know Kenny Pickett is not that.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:30 pm

Hottoddies wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:42 pm
Ice wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:29 pm

Carry on!
Sorry for the diatribe but this is one of my favorite sayings and I just hate to see it misused.
I can't really help you if you can't understand the nuance to various sayings. I certainly shouldn't have to explain it to you so consider is just another great mystery. :thumbup:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:04 pm

He looks good this year. Clear play making ability, that speed was impressive, and showed some separation skills. Some concerning things in regards to the OL/QB (see below 2 link), but as for Pickens, he's 22 and looks like he's improved.

Nice route vs Ward, and YAC.

https://twitter.com/Steelers_DB/status/ ... 7524738465

https://twitter.com/MPFrazer/status/170 ... 34/photo/1
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:07 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:04 pm He looks good this year. Clear play making ability, that speed was impressive, and showed some separation skills. Some concerning things in regards to the OL/QB (see below 2 link), but as for Pickens, he's 22 and looks like he's improved.

Nice route vs Ward, and YAC.

https://twitter.com/Steelers_DB/status/ ... 7524738465

https://twitter.com/MPFrazer/status/170 ... 34/photo/1
He is definitely improving. He has the makings of a true Alpha. I have noticed he is showing awareness coming back for the ball on multiple occasions even if not thrown to on plays. It is obvious he is working hard to get better. Maybe a young T.O. type in the making, not today, but he is showing the desire to be really good regardless of how people view his likability.

The QB is struggling some but they have the makings of a solid duo depending on each other.