Isaiah Spiller to the LAC Chargers: 2nd Round Rookie Gem or future JAG?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Isaiah Spiller to the LAC Chargers: 2nd Round Rookie Gem or future JAG?

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:16 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:31 am
Anteaters wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:06 am If Ekeler is injured and Spiller starts, I think he produces enough to have a floor of a flex and a ceiling of a high end RB2.
If Ekeler is healthy all year and Spiller gets the #2 job, I think Spiller has spike weeks where he has tolerable flex production but will be inconsistent and generally not score enough to start in fantasy.

I don't get into comparing players to other players. I look at their skill+ability+system+opportunity. Once opportunity is there, almost anything is possible. Remove opportunity and that player shouldn't start on any fantasy team. If Spiller is given the opportunity to start, he has enough skill+ability to be fantasy relevant.

BTW, I think Spiller has the backup job locked up. Kelly works hard but is truly a JAG. Spiller may not be as talented as Saquon or CMC, but he has more juice than Kelly. And now that the very young 2022 rookie has had a year to learn the pro game, his superior ability will push him ahead of Kelly.
https://twitter.com/PFF_NateJahnke/stat ... 9638327595

Don't think Spiller is the 2 to start the year. IMO, Both Spiller and Kelley are JAG's.

I think if Ekeler got hurt, Hunt or Fournette would be brought in. Someone would, anyway. The Chargers have a competitive roster, I can't imagine Spiller and Kelley being OK with them as a backfield for the year.

Don't agree flex would be his floor. IF it was those 2, it would likely be a split backfield. I don't believe either of these guys would be given significant touches. It would be a true committee.

They just signed Herbert to a massive deal. Pass pro is a big factor.

"Kelley was responsible for pass protection on 24.8% of his snaps last season, ranking 15 spots higher than Ekeler. Unless Spiller shows he's a capable pass protector, Kelley is the favorite to relieve Ekeler on those snaps." -per Yardbarker

Another reason Hunt of Fournette could be signed if Ekeler had a severe injury. Veteran players who played a large role in the passing game, and pass protection.
And the non-guaranteed contract would be a bonus as well. I imagine both players will find a roster sometime this season.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:21 pm

Can we safely say he's a JAG, now? He's clearly 4th on their depth chart, got out touched by Dotson 6 to 1 this week with Ekeler out, after being inactive week 1, with Dotson taking the active role over him.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:23 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:21 pm Can we safely say he's a JAG, now? He's clearly 4th on their depth chart, got out touched by Dotson 6 to 1 this week with Ekeler out, after being inactive week 1, with Dotson taking the active role over him.
As the starter of this here thread:

Yes, we can say he's a JAG.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:30 pm

mild wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:23 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:21 pm Can we safely say he's a JAG, now? He's clearly 4th on their depth chart, got out touched by Dotson 6 to 1 this week with Ekeler out, after being inactive week 1, with Dotson taking the active role over him.

That's funny, considering the other thread I was just commenting on. I honestly didn't realize you'd started this thread. Funny how that worked out. Remember when Spiller was top Devy pick in this class? Ah, the good old days!
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:57 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:30 pm
mild wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:23 pm

That's funny, considering the other thread I was just commenting on. I honestly didn't realize you'd started this thread. Funny how that worked out. Remember when Spiller was top Devy pick in this class? Ah, the good old days!
Lol, yes, thankyou - I got it. No coincidence this thread getting bumped, I'm sure. :lol:

So long as we're all remaining open to the wonderful possibilities of the world, taking chances on the Jerome Fords and Puka Nacua's that pass us by... then we're doing all we can in this beautiful game, innit?

Spiller doesn't have the juice and twitch to play as a featured RB in the NFL; but to be fair... not many do. I'm sure he'll kick around as a body for a little while longer, but I doubt any of us will be leaving the light on.