Isaiah Spiller to the LAC Chargers: 2nd Round Rookie Gem or future JAG?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Isaiah Spiller to the LAC Chargers: 2nd Round Rookie Gem or future JAG?

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:26 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:17 am EDIT: whoops, besides my quote of you, my message didn't post and I had to type it again ... after you replied. :wall:
It happens. No worries. I wouldn't drop him either, unless it was shallow rosters, as I don't think there is much upside. Hopefully nobody here is talkinga about FFPC.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:35 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:25 am
Anteaters wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:06 am I don't think a game where superstar Ekeler ran for 24 yards and the entire Charger offense looked pathetic is going to provide an accurate gauge of how well Spiller is going to do in the future.

Not saying Spiller is the next big thing. Just saying November 13 was not the game to choose as an example either way. If we use that game as the judge, Herbert is on par with Mills, and Ekeler should be traded for Montgomery.
Arrow is pointing down, he's hasn't established himself yet, and Kelley was looking better than he has. It's the definition of JAG. If he were that GEM, he would have flashed something, no? He's not that good. He may be a relevant NFL backup/COP back. A JAG, basically. He's certainly not special, and won't be, in all likelihood.

Most people figured that out through the draft process, I think certain people in the Devy community didn't want to let go of the old view of him. Not saying you are one of them, but Spiller isn't a gem right now. He's a JAG. Until he proves otherwise, that's how it is. Maybe he bulks up and improves his BMI, and gets faster somehow while doing it. Anything is possible I suppose. At this rate, he's going back to being inactive once Kelley gets healthy, though......and that is supposed to be soon.

People on this thread were saying now we get to see what he can do, type thing. 12/27 and no catches in 3 games. Clearly not good enough in the coaching staff's eyes to get more than a few touches, and really has shown why, with that.
Thanks for the early morning laugh

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:05 am

Still better than being a healthy scratch every week...seems like he's actually the RB2 for the chargers now with Kelley out. Not that there's much value in that while Ekeler is healthy.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy, Rodgers, Geno, Carr
JT, K Williams, Javonte, Chubb, Ekeler, Mostert, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, Lamb, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, DJM, M. Williams
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3):
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2025 Picks: 1, 3, 3, 4

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Pitts, Dissly, Hooper
2025 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:40 am

If he’d just manage to get to the LOS and then fall forward he’d triple his ypa from the past two games

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:04 pm

hoos89 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:05 am Still better than being a healthy scratch every week...seems like he's actually the RB2 for the chargers now with Kelley out. Not that there's much value in that while Ekeler is healthy.
I'm not sure he's the RB2 if Kelley were still healthy. It's like he fell into this role. Kind of like his running style

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:52 pm

You're probably right, but he does appear to have passed Michel at least and is getting some opportunities with Kelley down.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy, Rodgers, Geno, Carr
JT, K Williams, Javonte, Chubb, Ekeler, Mostert, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, Lamb, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, DJM, M. Williams
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3):
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2025 Picks: 1, 3, 3, 4

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Pitts, Dissly, Hooper
2025 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:07 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:04 pm
hoos89 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:05 am Still better than being a healthy scratch every week...seems like he's actually the RB2 for the chargers now with Kelley out. Not that there's much value in that while Ekeler is healthy.
I'm not sure he's the RB2 if Kelley were still healthy. It's like he fell into this role. Kind of like his running style
Michel was getting more opportunities than Kelley when Kelley was healthy. Spiller has clearly passed Michel. While I think Kelley has a role when he gets back, I think it will depend on whether Spiller passed Michel or if Michel fell behind Spiller. If Spiller passed Michel, I think he’s still the guy getting the snaps you want when Kelley gets back.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:16 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:53 pm I think the arrow is pointing down at this point. This running game isn't very good, and he's definitely not making it better.

It's not great, Bob.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:29 pm

ericanadian wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:07 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:04 pm
Michel was getting more opportunities than Kelley when Kelley was healthy. Spiller has clearly passed Michel. While I think Kelley has a role when he gets back, I think it will depend on whether Spiller passed Michel or if Michel fell behind Spiller. If Spiller passed Michel, I think he’s still the guy getting the snaps you want when Kelley gets back.
Just the fact that he's in the mix with those names should tell you all you need to know...

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:25 am

So...I know DLF in general moved on from this kid long ago. He was pronounced dead before he left he combine...
Just wondering where people's thoughts are now. I haven't watched any preseason ball. Are his box scores just an effect of poor tackling/excellent blocking? Are camp reports of him looking good just Charger homer hype?

I don't want an opinion of "even my grandma could run through those holes and she's using a walker and is faster than Spiller!"
I'm hoping for an opinion of someone who didn't write him off as no chance due to the combine, didn't entrench into a view of hating the kid, and is watching the preseason games. Does he look like he could do something in the league or was it all just blocking/poor tackling?

frerichs5
MVP
MVP

Postby frerichs5 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:02 am

Valhalla wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:25 am So...I know DLF in general moved on from this kid long ago. He was pronounced dead before he left he combine...
Just wondering where people's thoughts are now. I haven't watched any preseason ball. Are his box scores just an effect of poor tackling/excellent blocking? Are camp reports of him looking good just Charger homer hype?

I don't want an opinion of "even my grandma could run through those holes and she's using a walker and is faster than Spiller!"
I'm hoping for an opinion of someone who didn't write him off as no chance due to the combine, didn't entrench into a view of hating the kid, and is watching the preseason games. Does he look like he could do something in the league or was it all just blocking/poor tackling?
I haven’t seen a ton, but to my untrained eye, he looks decent. If you’re box score scouting, you’ll also miss he had a 71 yard touchdown called back to penalty. That one he did have a good sized hole, but still good to see had enough juice to still house it. Had a few guys trailing that didn’t run him down.

This week he had one run that should have been a loss, but made about a 2 yard gain. Had a couple 3 yard gains where that really was all that was there (in my opinion). Then had a nice 18 yard run making a couple guys miss.

That said, everything I’ve read/heard…Josh Kelly is still expected to be the #2. I only have Spiller in one spot (12 team, 28 player roster), and I’m holding him. If anything happens to Ekeler, I don’t see Kelly taking over everything. And maybe they sign someone at that point. But I’m holding until then.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:30 am

Valhalla wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:25 am So...I know DLF in general moved on from this kid long ago. He was pronounced dead before he left he combine...

I was one person who dropped him massively after the combine. But now that he isnt a 1st, or even 2nd rookie pick, he could be a value. There is not much behind Ekeler, besides Kelley who is equally JAG. Let's take a look at all 5 runs from this past game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLLGrMl ... urtainCall

Run1. Outside Toss. RT and TE pull outside the WR on the edge. Saints have it covered on the back end fairly well, but a faster RB probably hits the outside edge of #73 and would try to stiff arm through the safety coming down. #86 doesn't hold his block very well, but that is only an issue as spiller cuts it back. Now, he does fight off multiple guys in the backfield, showing some good strength. But why not just hit the edge as designed and go against 1 or 2 guy with downhill momentum? Speed issue?

Run 2. Inside run. LT/LG double teams the DE and the TE walls off the edge pretty well. The CB comes in to fill that lane, but Spiller just rushes into the line after a few jump cuts on air. Maybe take a head of steam at the 190 lb CB instead of the wall of OL?

Run 3. Inside. LT seals the edge. LG gets a good push and gets to the 2nd level defender but maybe a tick late as Spiller has already decided to cut back inside to the wall of lineman. Would have liked to see him try to push through with the LG but don't think there was much regardless

Run 4. 8v8 in the box. Nothing there, defense was all over it

Run 5. Inside run with 6 in the box. C and RG get a nice double and the rest of the OL gives him plenty of space to get through. the TE picks up a LB and Spiller cuts around the other in the 2nd level and is tough to bring down afterwards. Nice run, but I think we can agree a lot of RB make this play, right?

TLDR: He has good strength, but prefers to dance a bit too much still, lacks the acceleration to get back up to speed quick enough and I am not sure he has the vision to make up for it. I still do not see a difference maker here.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:34 am

frerichs5 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:02 am

I haven’t seen a ton, but to my untrained eye, he looks decent. If you’re box score scouting, you’ll also miss he had a 71 yard touchdown called back to penalty. That one he did have a good sized hole, but still good to see had enough juice to still house it. Had a few guys trailing that didn’t run him down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgp3D41 ... Highlights

The TD run was nice. Good blocking and no idea what 54 was doing lol but he actually had a decisive cut and go there. My question with him, and most other backup RB is always the same "Could other RB have done that?" With Spiller, its usually a yes

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:06 am

If Ekeler is injured and Spiller starts, I think he produces enough to have a floor of a flex and a ceiling of a high end RB2.
If Ekeler is healthy all year and Spiller gets the #2 job, I think Spiller has spike weeks where he has tolerable flex production but will be inconsistent and generally not score enough to start in fantasy.

I don't get into comparing players to other players. I look at their skill+ability+system+opportunity. Once opportunity is there, almost anything is possible. Remove opportunity and that player shouldn't start on any fantasy team. If Spiller is given the opportunity to start, he has enough skill+ability to be fantasy relevant.

BTW, I think Spiller has the backup job locked up. Kelly works hard but is truly a JAG. Spiller may not be as talented as Saquon or CMC, but he has more juice than Kelly. And now that the very young 2022 rookie has had a year to learn the pro game, his superior ability will push him ahead of Kelly.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver, Waller
2023 semifinals loser

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:31 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:06 am If Ekeler is injured and Spiller starts, I think he produces enough to have a floor of a flex and a ceiling of a high end RB2.
If Ekeler is healthy all year and Spiller gets the #2 job, I think Spiller has spike weeks where he has tolerable flex production but will be inconsistent and generally not score enough to start in fantasy.

I don't get into comparing players to other players. I look at their skill+ability+system+opportunity. Once opportunity is there, almost anything is possible. Remove opportunity and that player shouldn't start on any fantasy team. If Spiller is given the opportunity to start, he has enough skill+ability to be fantasy relevant.

BTW, I think Spiller has the backup job locked up. Kelly works hard but is truly a JAG. Spiller may not be as talented as Saquon or CMC, but he has more juice than Kelly. And now that the very young 2022 rookie has had a year to learn the pro game, his superior ability will push him ahead of Kelly.
https://twitter.com/PFF_NateJahnke/stat ... 9638327595

Don't think Spiller is the 2 to start the year. IMO, Both Spiller and Kelley are JAG's.

I think if Ekeler got hurt, Hunt or Fournette would be brought in. Someone would, anyway. The Chargers have a competitive roster, I can't imagine Spiller and Kelley being OK with them as a backfield for the year.

Don't agree flex would be his floor. IF it was those 2, it would likely be a split backfield. I don't believe either of these guys would be given significant touches. It would be a true committee.

They just signed Herbert to a massive deal. Pass pro is a big factor.

"Kelley was responsible for pass protection on 24.8% of his snaps last season, ranking 15 spots higher than Ekeler. Unless Spiller shows he's a capable pass protector, Kelley is the favorite to relieve Ekeler on those snaps." -per Yardbarker

Another reason Hunt of Fournette could be signed if Ekeler had a severe injury. Veteran players who played a large role in the passing game, and pass protection.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".