SF Start-up Help Welcomed

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Re: SF Start-up Help Welcomed

Postby tstafford » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:35 am

Fair point Ant! Below is the roster. I'm fairly happy with it. Looking back at the draft there aren't any places where I saw someone go off the board shortly after me that I regretted not taking. I expect an even spread on the 2024 firsts which will yield a nice haul.

My goal now is to move Kittle, Evans and a QB or two for more prospects or picks. I'm not concerned that this team is going to win any games so there is no rush. My guess is there will be some trade action right before the start of the season and again after some dust settles during the first few weeks.

Again thanks to all who assisted. It was a fun process and you guys were very valuable.

QB: Kyler, Tua, Stroud, Carr, Levis, Willis
RB: Gainwell, Roschon, D.Vaughn
WR: Lamb, Metcalf, Evans, Burks, Mims, Tillman, Downs, Marshall
TE: Kittle, Chig, J.Johnson, I.Smith
2024: 3 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd

Mtt33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Mtt33 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:08 am

tstafford wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:35 am Fair point Ant! Below is the roster. I'm fairly happy with it. Looking back at the draft there aren't any places where I saw someone go off the board shortly after me that I regretted not taking. I expect an even spread on the 2024 firsts which will yield a nice haul.

My goal now is to move Kittle, Evans and a QB or two for more prospects or picks. I'm not concerned that this team is going to win any games so there is no rush. My guess is there will be some trade action right before the start of the season and again after some dust settles during the first few weeks.

Again thanks to all who assisted. It was a fun process and you guys were very valuable.

QB: Kyler, Tua, Stroud, Carr, Levis, Willis
RB: Gainwell, Roschon, D.Vaughn
WR: Lamb, Metcalf, Evans, Burks, Mims, Tillman, Downs, Marshall
TE: Kittle, Chig, J.Johnson, I.Smith
2024: 3 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd
Is draft order determined by potential points or standings?

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:07 am

Didn't read all the 15 pages....What are Evans and Kittle doing on your roster? See if you can get some value for them in trades.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:26 am

Mtt33 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:08 am Is draft order determined by potential points or standings?
Standings. I'm really not worried about this at all.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:27 am

CGW wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:07 am Didn't read all the 15 pages....What are Evans and Kittle doing on your roster? See if you can get some value for them in trades.
They fell way too far. I couldn't pass them on value. I will endeavor to move them ASAP. There are teams that hope to contend that can definitely benefit from Kittle. I drafted the other TEs to make moving him easier. I'm not required by the rules of this league to start either of them anyway.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:02 am

Thought I'd provide a quick update on this team since several of you were super helpful during the draft. For those who might not recall, this was a SF start-up w/ a bunch of analysts from one of the networks (and some other random folks). Decided to use the "productive struggle" approach.

Final record: 0-14

PPR, QB/2RB/2WR/3Flex/1SF

QB: Tua, Kyler, Levis, Carr, Zappe, DTR, Cunningham
RB: Roschon, Tucker, Dallas, Brooks
WR: Lamb, D.Smith, DKM, D.Johnson, Downs, Burks, Mims, Tillman, Wicks
TE: Chig, Kraft, Jordan, Conklin
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.?? (TBD), 1.?? (TBD), 2.01, 2.06, 3.01
2025: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd

Overall I am extremely happy with this team. Landing three top-6 draft picks for next year is terrific since trading players for picks obviously made those teams better. Curious to see where the other two firsts land. Having seven of first eighteen draft picks provides a ton of flexibility.

Some observations I had from this league:
QB value - I was surprised at how little value managers put on QB. The top teams more or less punted the position and it mostly worked for them. I think the large number of flexes de-emphasizes QB scoring. I also think folks got lucky with the number of QB injuries we saw this year. A lot of WW QBs were started at one point or another. I'm thinking this probably costs them long term

Start-up impact - I haven't done a start-up in a LONG time. I underestimated how even the teams would be (kind of like redraft). This makes the productive struggle approach even better. My team is much closer to contention than I would have thought. I'll probably hedge my bets in the draft by using some picks and trading others. I want to be a force in the league next year. I can trade a pick or two for old RBs and use the rest for depth at other positions

"Redrafty" teams - There are several redraft looking teams. I guess those folks wanted to contend year one. But it's going to be hard on them for years to come I think

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:41 am

tstafford wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:02 am Thought I'd provide a quick update on this team since several of you were super helpful during the draft. For those who might not recall, this was a SF start-up w/ a bunch of analysts from one of the networks (and some other random folks). Decided to use the "productive struggle" approach.

Overall I am extremely happy with this team. Landing three top-6 draft picks for next year is terrific since trading players for picks obviously made those teams better. Curious to see where the other two firsts land. Having seven of first eighteen draft picks provides a ton of flexibility.

QB value - I was surprised at how little value managers put on QB. The top teams more or less punted the position and it mostly worked for them. I think the large number of flexes de-emphasizes QB scoring. I also think folks got lucky with the number of QB injuries we saw this year. A lot of WW QBs were started at one point or another. I'm thinking this probably costs them long term

Start-up impact - I haven't done a start-up in a LONG time. I underestimated how even the teams would be (kind of like redraft). This makes the productive struggle approach even better. My team is much closer to contention than I would have thought. I'll probably hedge my bets in the draft by using some picks and trading others. I want to be a force in the league next year. I can trade a pick or two for old RBs and use the rest for depth at other positions

"Redrafty" teams - There are several redraft looking teams. I guess those folks wanted to contend year one. But it's going to be hard on them for years to come I think
Love "Productive Struggle"! I'm going to start using it
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

CurtisMyFavMartin
Starter
Starter

Postby CurtisMyFavMartin » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:53 am

tstafford wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:02 am Thought I'd provide a quick update on this team since several of you were super helpful during the draft. For those who might not recall, this was a SF start-up w/ a bunch of analysts from one of the networks (and some other random folks). Decided to use the "productive struggle" approach.

How did you end up 0-14 with that team??
Controlled Chaos 12 Team PPR SFLEX~EST. 2015
1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 2 FLEX 1SFLEX

2018+2019 CHAMPION 2023 2nd place
QB Murray-Goff-Stafford-Cousins-Levis
RB Bijan-Gibbs-Mostert-Roschon-Zeke
WR Olave-DJM-Pittman-JSN-Flowers-Addison-Kirk-Downs
TE Hockenson-Schultz-Knox-Irv Smith

3 2025 1sts
2 2025 2nds

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:57 am

CurtisMyFavMartin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:53 am

How did you end up 0-14 with that team??
It took a ton of talent and deliberate and purposeful "productive struggling" We are no longer using the "T word" that rhymes with BANK
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Mitchell, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Douglas, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 3.02, 3.09
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:12 am

TheTroll wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:41 am Love "Productive Struggle"! I'm going to start using it
That's an old DLF thing coined by Ryan McDowell. It's essentially a strategy where you punt on year one of a startup by drafting very young and trading players for picks. It's effective especially if no other managers employ it.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:20 am

CurtisMyFavMartin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:53 am How did you end up 0-14 with that team??
This league doesn't require you start what I'd call a good faith line-up. You have to start "active" players. So essentially you can do something that rhymes with BANK.

To cleanse my soul I donated $100 per intentional loss to St. Jude's Children's Hospital this AM. Hopefully that appeases the fantasy gods and helps some needy young ones.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:28 pm

Love the result. You're set at some key positions, and having many 1st round picks will help you stack depth and maybe get another starter or three. Your team should beast next season.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver, Waller
2023 semifinals loser

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:45 pm

Anteaters wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:28 pm Love the result. You're set at some key positions, and having many 1st round picks will help you stack depth and maybe get another starter or three. Your team should beast next season.
Thanks. I'll resurrect this thread again come draft time and solicit y'alls help.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Fri May 24, 2024 3:18 am

Bringing this thread back to life. Looks like our commish is finally getting around to scheduling our rookie draft. Should start in a week or two. Forum was super helpful during the start-up last year, so I welcome your input on the rookie draft. Current roster listed below. I believe this team can contend in '24 because there aren't any powerhouses yet.

Question: will need to cut six. Anyone disagree with Stidham, DTR, Zappe, Cunningham, Allen, Tillman?

Will post again once the draft starts - I'm fairly locked in to Daniels at 1.03 but the 1.05 should provide some interesting choices. I'm hoping Nabers falls - the guy at 1.04 desperately needs a QB.

12 team, SF, PPR
QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3flex, 1SF
Kyler, Tua, Carr, Stidham, DTR, Zappe, Cunningham
Achane, Spears, Roschon, McBride, Tucker, Brooks
Lamb, DKM, D.Smith, Rice, D.Johnson, McLaurin, Downs, Burks, Tillman
Pitts, Chig, Kraft, Allen
1.03, 1.05, 1.10, 2.01
All future picks plus an extra '25 2nd

NathanielWegman
Starter
Starter

Postby NathanielWegman » Fri May 24, 2024 4:10 am

I think your cuts are perfect.

At 1.03 I’d definitely take Daniels

If the guy at 4 desperately needs a QB, just so someone can’t jump in front of me I might offer him 1.5 and a small incentive just to make sure I can grab Nabers..