Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Menace2010
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby Menace2010 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:59 am

Superflex. I'm waiting to finalize my board Yada, Yada, Yada, but who are folks taking if given a choice between Daniels and Nabers. I'd been set on 100% taking Maye if he falls to 1.04. And was set on Nabers as the obvious 1.04 if Maye was gone, but the Daniels hype is growing with some ranking him as the 1.03 over Maye so I'm already second guessing myself.

I get the dual-threat element, but Daniels worries me as a fifth-year senior with essentially one season where he put it all together.

How's everyone else feeling?

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:08 am

I'm completely fine with either CW or MHJ taken at 1.01 in SF right now. I've got two leagues where I own the 1.01 and at this point I plan to take CW for one QB needy team and MHJ in a league where I already have three quality starters.

These two are both very close as prospects and will still be after the combine and draft. We have a tall, fast, NFL ready, son of an All Pro WR who is one of the best WR prospects of the last decade plus and will be taken top 5 in the NFL draft. We also have one of the best QB prospects in recent memory that will be the NFL first overall pick. A Heisman winner who has all the arm talent in the world who can scramble around the pocket like Mahomes or prime AR and make incredible off platform throws. If you haven't actually spent time watching him, take a break from the mental makeup convention and go take a look at some of his throws.

Either of these guys can be center pieces for your dynasty. Clearly no1 knows if these guys will hit their ceilings or be busts, but there are no sure things in fantasy football. If either guy hits their ceiling you are looking at top 5 overall players.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:30 am

Johnny Canuck wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:00 pm Curious on the opinions of those that regularly contribute to this thread, regarding a question of mine.

In a SF, who is your 1.01? Who is your 1.02 and why aren’t they your 1.01? Could you flip the two based on any specific situations?
my thoughts from a personal angle; team makeup and knowing my league's needs and tendencies

on the rebuild below I have the 1.01 and 1.07. I want MHJ, but I believe I have to take my QB1 when the time comes.

reason 1: the 2025 QB class looks considerably less promising, and I can't count on having a top 3ish pick. I don't want to tank again or be in the forever rebuild. I am QB needy and need to stay ahead of it

reason 2: the guys picking 2-6 are going to snatch up the top 4 QBs if they all go in the first round of the NFL draft, for this scenario I'm assuming JJM goes QB4 in the top half of the draft. The guy at 6 is very QB needy and he has picks 1.06 and 1.08. if I take MHJ at 1 he's gonna have to go JJM at 6 because he knows I will need to take a QB at 7. If I go QB1 with the 1.01 the guy at 2 is taking MHJ for sure. the other 3 QBs and Nabers go 3-6, I'd take Odunze at 7. best case scenario there, both my guys end up studs and are possibly even a rookie QB/WR stack on the Bears

So that's where I'm at, I really really want MHJ but I don't think it's the sensible move for my situation.
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Caleb Williams - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - J Wright - Estime
WR: AJB - Pittman - Odunze - Shaheed - J Burton - R Pearsall - Doubs - E Moore
TE: MAndrews - Bowers - Bellinger - Kraft
‘25: one 1st, two 2nds, three 3rds

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - J Brooks - K Miller - J Wright - A Mattison - J Hill - W Shipley
WR: CeeDee - Aiyuk - Rice - Godwin - J Reed - J Burton - E Moore
TE: Kittle - Kincaid - Chig

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:51 am

yinzername wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:30 am
Johnny Canuck wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:00 pm Curious on the opinions of those that regularly contribute to this thread, regarding a question of mine.

In a SF, who is your 1.01? Who is your 1.02 and why aren’t they your 1.01? Could you flip the two based on any specific situations?
my thoughts from a personal angle; team makeup and knowing my league's needs and tendencies

on the rebuild below I have the 1.01 and 1.07. I want MHJ, but I believe I have to take my QB1 when the time comes.

reason 1: the 2025 QB class looks considerably less promising, and I can't count on having a top 3ish pick. I don't want to tank again or be in the forever rebuild. I am QB needy and need to stay ahead of it

reason 2: the guys picking 2-6 are going to snatch up the top 4 QBs if they all go in the first round of the NFL draft, for this scenario I'm assuming JJM goes QB4 in the top half of the draft. The guy at 6 is very QB needy and he has picks 1.06 and 1.08. if I take MHJ at 1 he's gonna have to go JJM at 6 because he knows I will need to take a QB at 7. If I go QB1 with the 1.01 the guy at 2 is taking MHJ for sure. the other 3 QBs and Nabers go 3-6, I'd take Odunze at 7. best case scenario there, both my guys end up studs and are possibly even a rookie QB/WR stack on the Bears

So that's where I'm at, I really really want MHJ but I don't think it's the sensible move for my situation.
Geez, you think SF overvalues QBs just a little bit?

mikedigs
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby mikedigs » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:47 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:51 am

x2

In SF my QB room is Daniel Jones, that's it. The league is crazy with hording QBs.

I have the 1.03. I'm smashing draft on Nabers. Though I tend to undervalue QB a bit, I'll never get on board the SF overvalue QBs. (I mainly play 1 QB as I view that as the standard FF format)

Step 1: Draft Nabers
Step 2: Profit
12 TM PPR / TEP / 1 QB / Start 8

QB: J Hurts
RB: K Williams, T Spears, C Brown
WR: T Higgins, D Smith, G Pickens, Z Flowers, J Reed
TE: McBride, E Engram, I Likely

2024: 1.02, 1.08, 4.07, 5.07, 6.07, 7.07

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:08 am

mikedigs wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:47 am

x2

In SF my QB room is Daniel Jones, that's it. The league is crazy with hording QBs.

I have the 1.03. I'm smashing draft on Nabers. Though I tend to undervalue QB a bit, I'll never get on board the SF overvalue QBs. (I mainly play 1 QB as I view that as the standard FF format)

I do like Nabers a lot as a prospect, but still appreciate how valuable QBs are in the SF format. Only 5 WRs scored more than the QB24. It's really hard to over value QBs in SF.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:14 am

CGW wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:08 am

x2

I do like Nabers a lot as a prospect, but still appreciate how valuable QBs are in the SF format. Only 5 WRs scored more than the QB24. It's really hard to over value QBs in SF.
I’m struggling to see the fun there. It’s kind of like the pre-ppr days in FF where if you got 2 stud RBs you owned the league and if your RBs were mediocre your season was over before it even began.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:37 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:14 am

x2

I’m struggling to see the fun there. It’s kind of like the pre-ppr days in FF where if you got 2 stud RBs you owned the league and if your RBs were mediocre your season was over before it even began.
I get not everyone likes SF leagues (or PPR, or TEP, or any other setting), but if you do play in SF leagues you kind of have to play the game of the league settings. Your injury point is true of any fantasy setting - if your studs get hurt you are generally out of luck.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:14 am

CGW wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:37 am

I get not everyone likes SF leagues (or PPR, or TEP, or any other setting), but if you do play in SF leagues you kind of have to play the game of the league settings. Your injury point is true of any fantasy setting - if your studs get hurt you are generally out of luck.
Yeah, understood. Far be it from me to tell others how to run their league and enjoy FF, but I guess SF seems so slanted in favor of QB value - and SF draft discussions reinforce that - that it seems just too heavily geared to owning 2 top QBs in lieu of everything else. It just seems more fun to me if there were a few ways to build a roster that can compete for a league championship. But again, all that matters is that the people in the league enjoy it.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:16 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:14 am
CGW wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:37 am

Yeah, understood. Far be it from me to tell others how to run their league and enjoy FF, but I guess SF seems so slanted in favor of QB value - and SF draft discussions reinforce that - that it seems just too heavily geared to owning 2 top QBs in lieu of everything else. It just seems more fun to me if there were a few ways to build a roster that can compete for a league championship. But again, all that matters is that the people in the league enjoy it.
At the end of the day most teams have two good QB's, so it still comes down to roster construction. The teams just score more weekly points.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:22 am

Wouldn't you rather take a quality WR1 in Nabers rather than a QB4 who may/may not start? Obviously draft dependent, but I'd think you could flip Nabers for a decent aging QB quite easily rather than reaching for the QB. It all depends on team makeup. SF is a whole different thought process.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:33 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:22 am Wouldn't you rather take a quality WR1 in Nabers rather than a QB4 who may/may not start? Obviously draft dependent, but I'd think you could flip Nabers for a decent aging QB quite easily rather than reaching for the QB. It all depends on team makeup. SF is a whole different thought process.
Depends on my league settings. In my 10TM SF I plan on taking Nabers at 1.04 over Maye/Daniels. In that setting QBs aren't quite as valuable.

From a SF vs non standpoint, I prefer SF because it makes the position more relevant. In the years we didn't play SF, I generally won the most leagues when I completely punted the position and took guys like Stafford, Romo, Cousins, Dalton etc basically for free. The premium was all on the RBs and WRs. SF maybe pushes the pendulum too far towards QBs, but the balance feels better overall.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:39 am

I have Harrison at 1.01 in all leagues. I think he is the safest pick, based on his father, and his career.
I have Williams 2nd. I have the 1.02 pick in one Superflex and I will take whoever falls to me.
I only have Cousins/Goff as my QBs, so while I want Harrison, I'll be fine if I get Williams.
I also have the 1.06 and will see if a top three QB falls to me there, probably not.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON (R), Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK (R), CORLEY (R), COWING (R), Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON (R), Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER (R) RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME (R) WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING (R), MWASHINGTON (R) TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS (R), Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE (R), Goff, Cousins, PENIX (R), Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: HARRISON (R), DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS (R), Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, DPJ, Devante TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:42 am

Menace2010 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:59 am Superflex. I'm waiting to finalize my board Yada, Yada, Yada, but who are folks taking if given a choice between Daniels and Nabers. I'd been set on 100% taking Maye if he falls to 1.04. And was set on Nabers as the obvious 1.04 if Maye was gone, but the Daniels hype is growing with some ranking him as the 1.03 over Maye so I'm already second guessing myself.

I get the dual-threat element, but Daniels worries me as a fifth-year senior with essentially one season where he put it all together.

How's everyone else feeling?
That's tough. The hype on Daniels is growing for sure. It would be between Nabers/Daniels there. I think if I was set at QB, I'd take Nabers. There is BPA and then there are times we draft for need when everything is pretty even, which is this situation IMO.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON (R), Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK (R), CORLEY (R), COWING (R), Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON (R), Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER (R) RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME (R) WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING (R), MWASHINGTON (R) TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS (R), Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE (R), Goff, Cousins, PENIX (R), Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: HARRISON (R), DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS (R), Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, DPJ, Devante TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:44 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:22 am Wouldn't you rather take a quality WR1 in Nabers rather than a QB4 who may/may not start? Obviously draft dependent, but I'd think you could flip Nabers for a decent aging QB quite easily rather than reaching for the QB. It all depends on team makeup. SF is a whole different thought process.
Agree. I'm looking at my various picks and that may be a situation. WR2 or QB5? WR8 or RB1? WR12 or TE2?
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2: