Will Ryan Tannehill be a Starting NFL QB in 2020?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Tannehill to Titans

Postby whodunnit » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:17 pm

Not that I expect it to stick, but MFL currently has Luke Falk pegged to take over, it appears; 3,048 yards 20 TDs 12 INTs. Slightly more interesting that the Titans drafted him.
Watson Goff Purdy
Pierce Swift Robinson Conner Patterson
Hill Lamb Pittman Williams Renfrow Samuel
Hockenson Knox Kmet Schultz

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:20 pm

kamihamster wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:43 pm Makes me think Mariota's nerve issues are lingering and Tanny is plan B.
That was my first instinct as well. :think:
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:56 pm

ArrylT wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:20 pm
kamihamster wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:43 pm Makes me think Mariota's nerve issues are lingering and Tanny is plan B.
I feel like Schefter or someone reputable not named Ian would've picked up on this if so. Maybe we'll hear more on this in the coming days. I really think this is more Tennessee solidifying themselves with a quality backup for basically free so they don't squander anymore playoff hopes.

Farley
Captain
Captain

Postby Farley » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:08 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:56 pm
ArrylT wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:20 pm
I feel like Schefter or someone reputable not named Ian would've picked up on this if so. Maybe we'll hear more on this in the coming days. I really think this is more Tennessee solidifying themselves with a quality backup for basically free so they don't squander anymore playoff hopes.
Well said.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:27 pm

Yeah I have no clue either way - just was my first instinct to wonder what would be wrong with Mariota that they needed to go acquire Tannehill. But maybe they have been quietly exploring ways to get a better backup regardless and this happened to play out in their favor.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:35 pm

Definitely fair to wonder at that. Let’s stay optimistic though. Mariota being successful is good for the NFL. :thumbup:

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Really good deal for both sides.

Miami clears cap and gets a pick 👍

Titans get a restructured deal that's cheaper and get a quality backup QB that has a similar skillset to Mariota so the offense doesnt totally have to change playcalling when MM has newest meltdown.

Also when Tanneyhill pulls a Nick Foles and is SUPER Bowl MVP maybe the Commish can get the Titans QB name pronounced right 🤔

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:54 pm

Got to give props to Miami. First winning move in a very long time.

As for TEN, just gotta laugh at them. A fantasy manager who only plays in start 7, 10 team leagues could probably run the Titans better.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:00 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:54 pm Got to give props to Miami. First winning move in a very long time.

As for TEN, just gotta laugh at them. A fantasy manager who only plays in start 7, 10 team leagues could probably run the Titans better.
I don’t get this opinion at all. The Titans essentially gave up a 4th for a backup QB. A quality backup at that. Seems like an obvious win. The Dolphins traded a guy they spent a high 1st round pick on for a 4th. :wall:

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:12 pm

Tannenhill is a mediocre NFL QB, just like Mariota. No team should trade for him. And Miami is cutt8ng bait to late imho. But when they saw that 4th, they all probably raced through the office to snap accept.

You don’t win by be8ng mediocre. Worst place to be in the NFL or dynasty is 6-10 mediocre.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:25 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:12 pm Tannenhill is a mediocre NFL QB, just like Mariota. No team should trade for him. And Miami is cutt8ng bait to late imho. But when they saw that 4th, they all probably raced through the office to snap accept.

You don’t win by be8ng mediocre. Worst place to be in the NFL or dynasty is 6-10 mediocre.
Most backups are horrific, so I would consider Tannehill an average backup at worst. And I think you’re really overvaluing a 4th round pick, and undervaluing the importance of competent QB. Sounds like you hate Mariota and Tannehill personally though.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:31 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:25 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:12 pm Tannenhill is a mediocre NFL QB, just like Mariota. No team should trade for him. And Miami is cutt8ng bait to late imho. But when they saw that 4th, they all probably raced through the office to snap accept.

Most backups are horrific, so I would consider Tannehill an average backup at worst. And I think you’re really overvaluing a 4th round pick, and undervaluing the importance of competent QB. Sounds like you hate Mariota and Tannehill personally though.
I mean, the Raiders paid a 5th for AJ McCarron last year and just cut him, so I see your point. It's only a 1 year deal, though. He may well be going somewhere else next year. So unless there is some concern about Mariota or if they believe Tanny may be an upgrade, I'm not sure I understand why they are doing this. They aren't on the cusp of a championship and needing a guy that can keep them in it if the lead guy goes down. I think COD has some merit here, only because the Titans are mediocre, and so is Tanny. I guess it helps them with depth at the position, but only for a year.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:41 pm

There’s a weird hatred towards QB’s that’s fueled by ESPN and talking sheep but Tannehill is still a top 35 QB in the NFL. Maybe that says more about the position in the NFL but the fact is not a lot of people can play QB in the NFL. I’d much rather have Tannehill as my backup than Gabbert or what 25 other teams have.

The Redskins were 6-3 when ALEX SMITH got hurt and won only 1 more game. Backup QB matters. See Nick Foles.

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:07 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:00 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:54 pm Got to give props to Miami. First winning move in a very long time.

I don’t get this opinion at all. The Titans essentially gave up a 4th for a backup QB. A quality backup at that. Seems like an obvious win. The Dolphins traded a guy they spent a high 1st round pick on for a 4th. :wall:
I agree. I think that's a great price for a quality backup QB. Just ask the Eagles how important that can be.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:06 pm

The quality of your backup QB matters - especially when your starter has never played all 16 games in a season.

A 4th is an incredibly minor price to pay for a backup. Teams draft rookies at that or higher who never even see the NFL field (nor should they).

If they had the option of taking a QB in the 4th or using that pick to get Tannehill; they made the right choice.

Tannehill is not a world beater - but the same can be said about the majority of NFL quarterbacks.