James Conner

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Conner dynasty value

Postby Johnny Canuck » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:47 pm

JFever wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:01 pm I think when one says that Conner's production was / is 100% volume dependent, it is oversimplifying the situation greatly. Likely statements like that stem from some type of personal bias. 1)Conner runs hard, catches the ball well, gets North / south and takes what is given and also runs with patience . All attributes I'm sure he's soaked in from practicing with and behind L.Bell. The attributes that 2) led to his blowing up didn't just vanish people. 3)I think to an extent ALL fantasy production is dependent on some volume. 4)The fact that Conner got such a disparaging ratio of the offensive snaps over the other back ups says something. The fact that he did something with some of the volume also says something. 5)When Big Ben was on and the offense was clicking - Conner too was clicking. When Big Ben was off, pressured or 6)playing from far behind thanks to poor defensive plays and turnovers, the flow changed and Conner's production then too was less efficient. I don't believe for a second that Conner is a comparable JAG to guys like A.Abdulah. To me that point seems like a big reach.

I'm also not saying that talent alone is what it takes. Conner isn't the most talented rb in the league and.... he doesn't have to be most of the time. Talent alone does not equate to fantasy production. It sure helps, but it never is that simple. Steady production in the NFL and in Fantasy - is a combination of several factors. All of which Conner still has going for him for likely the next 2 games. If he and the Steeler's run game continue to struggle in the next two games, then, I would entertain and even consider to be someone true - some of the straight up negativity that some posters shared. The Abdullah one was a knee slapper btw.
1) This could describe a multitude of RBs...these aren't traits that separate Conner from other JAG RBs in the NFL. Players that come to mind are those like: Ivory, Martin, Hill, Crowell, Blount, Joique Bell, etc. All have had their moment(s) in the sun, but all are/were pretty replaceable players/talents.

2) It was one game. He looked good in week one, but he has not "blown up," in fact he looked barely above replacement level in his last three starts. He doesn't have this massive history to draw from. Anyone can have a blow up game, for ref see: Jonas Gray and Joseph Randle.

*Also, since you brought up bias, this is actually called Anchoring Bias. It's when ppl are over-reliant on the first piece of information they receive about a situation/player/etc. In this case, Conner having a good first game. If he sucked in his first game, but had a good second game, it's highly probable that the dynasty community would be far less infatuated with him on the whole. An okay example of this is the value of Matt Breida who had a bad week 1, but a huge week 2, and has been okay-good in weeks 3 &4.

3) Totally agree with this statement. Fantasy points are heavily correlated to volume.

4) Sorry but I disagree. It would matter if he was getting a massive workload over a competent back up, but there's no one else in that backfield. Samuels is a rookie and has had zero carries, and Ridley has only played 5 games in 3 years. He's not exactly playing over world beaters.

5) The offense was clicking in week 2 & 3. Pretty hard to put up 30 or more pts in a game if it's not. I watched every game, and he's been badddddd between the tackles. His numbers speak to this as well. In week 2 he had 8 carries for 17 yards. In week 3, if you take out the final drive of the game, he would have had 12 carries for 8 yards. And in week 4, he had 9 carries for 19 yards....but yet Conner is great and Penny/Rojo/Barber/etc are terrible...something doesn't compute here.

*Also I'm not saying he's not good in the pass game, because he's actually decent in that area of the game. He could be a 3rd/passing down and GL power back, but that's all. Right now he doesn't appear to be 3 down back because he has looked putrid between the tackles.

6) Playing from behind usually increases efficiency in RBs not the other way around, because the defensive pulls back to defend the pass and there's less guys in the box (making more and bigger holes to run thru).

I think that Conner can still be a functional player in the league, but he's not the player most make him out to be. Just because ppl aren't gushing over him doesn't mean it's a negative stance, it's just an opinion that is different. I hope I'm wrong because Conner is a great guy to cheer for given everything he's had to overcome, but after watching the games this yr, I just don't see it.

Raymond1974
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Raymond1974 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:56 pm

Connor has been very serviceable. He's scored double digits in all but one game! Is he Levon? Of course not,but he's been a decent starter for any fantasy team,and I believe if given a future starting role he will continue to put up good fantasy stats.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:04 pm

Raymond1974 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:56 pm Connor has been very serviceable. He's scored double digits in all but one game! Is he Levon? Of course not,but he's been a decent starter for any fantasy team,and I believe if given a future starting role he will continue to put up good fantasy stats.
A viable NFL team needs to be able to run the football. Conner has shown himself to be a liability in this area having produced only 97 yards on 32 carries over the past 3 weeks. As such, you can expect that after the return of Bell, the chances of Conner being given the same kind of opportunity again haven't diminished considerably even after Bell likely leaves next season. The Steelers would be wise to give great consideration to giving Bell something closer to his asking price.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:38 pm

Raymond1974 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:56 pm Connor has been very serviceable. He's scored double digits in all but one game! Is he Levon? Of course not,but he's been a decent starter for any fantasy team,and I believe if given a future starting role he will continue to put up good fantasy stats.
Yeah, well that's the rub isn't it? That is far from a given and Pitt certainly isn't basing that decision on how many volume fantasy points he puts up. I would think they're much more interested in his ineffectiveness running the football the next 3 weeks and if he doesn't turn that around that bolded part is not going to happen.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:03 pm

Sooo...offer up some speculation on Samuels.
Is he just plain bad in pass protection? Is this more bad coaching sticking to the wrong rb? Does Roethlisberger carry THAT much sway in who plays now that Haley is gone? Is Tomlin just trying to stat-pump a rb as much as possible to give Bell the middle finger?

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:57 am

let's not act like Conner's 4.3 week 1 ypc was anything special either. It was the 3 TDs that made him and touchdowns have never been a major part of the PIT RB role. That was the the entire org. wanting to stick it to Lev. I don't think Conner is a complete JAG like langford or jeremy hill, he's closer to a healthy Rawls, Ivory, Hyde type. That's certainly a valuable commodity as long as he keeps the starting job.

Valhalla, Samuels should be getting run, I don't anticipate him being much better but I think he is in the same tier in terms of quality of RB as Conner and should not be getting goose eggs while JC goes for 2ypc.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:02 am

Valhalla wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:03 pm Sooo...offer up some speculation on Samuels.
Is he just plain bad in pass protection? Is this more bad coaching sticking to the wrong rb? Does Roethlisberger carry THAT much sway in who plays now that Haley is gone? Is Tomlin just trying to stat-pump a rb as much as possible to give Bell the middle finger?
NC State preferred making Tiny Nyheim Hines the between the tackles runner over Samuels. He's probably just closer to a Kyle Jusczyk or Marcel Reese than a true RB, and it sometimes takes those guys a while to get a clear role.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 am

Any Conner transactions the last couple of days?

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:15 am

Lotto4Life wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 am Any Conner transactions the last couple of days?
I was offered the SEA RB situation for him in my 4 player keeper league. I will try to revisit it after this week.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:20 pm

I'm just holding. There's definitely some smoke coming out of the Steelers camp. Even if Bell comes back, I don't think he gets the same workload as before.

Daltanian
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Daltanian » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Lotto4Life wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 am Any Conner transactions the last couple of days?
Last week I saw:

Conner, Bell, and Davante Adams

for

Alvin Kamara and Keenan Allen
16 Team Superflex

QB: R. Wilson, Tannehill
RB: CMC, A. Kamara, A. Ekeler, CEH
WR: D. Adams, M. Thomas, T. Lockett, AJ Green, J. Edelman, L. Fitzgerald
TE: Kittle, J. Cook,

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:32 pm

Daltanian wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:24 pm
Last week I saw:

Conner, Bell, and Davante Adams

for

Alvin Kamara and Keenan Allen
I think i'm in that league...

nation31
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby nation31 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:50 pm

I traded Conner, Bell, Samuels for Amari, Guice, two 2019 firsts last week, before week 5. Feel okay about it, not wonderful...I think it is good value though, and think the production is more the Pitt system than anything-don't think either bell nor Conner is the starter there next season,

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:09 am

You essentially got 4 1sts for the Steelers backfield.. How can you not be happy?

nation31
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby nation31 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 am

Phaded wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:09 am You essentially got 4 1sts for the Steelers backfield.. How can you not be happy?
I dont know. I have won three years in a row and this move basically was throwing in the towel for this season. Yet always have a chance in the playoffs.