Best Dynasty Podcasts?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
hammertoes
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Podcasts other than DLF, UTH & nerds?

Postby hammertoes » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:30 pm

FiremanEd wrote:Was sad to see Dynasty Soundtrack go away. It was one of my favorites.

Any one else enjoying the DLF podcast less than they used to? I enjoy when they talk dynasty, but find lots of time spent finding out about their guests, old vs young jokes and other unrelated items. I feel it is becoming more of a job than it is about talking football lately. Could just be me though..
I will admit that DLF spends too much time talking with their guest about their background, how they got into fantasy, where they've worked, etc. A minute or two is fine sure, but I don't need to hear your life story. I usually will just skip ahead a few minutes to see if they're talking football yet. And the old/young jokes are getting a bit stale.

DonBrazi
MVP
MVP

Postby DonBrazi » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:31 am

hammertoes wrote:I will admit that DLF spends too much time talking with their guest about their background, how they got into fantasy, where they've worked, etc. A minute or two is fine sure, but I don't need to hear your life story. I usually will just skip ahead a few minutes to see if they're talking football yet. And the old/young jokes are getting a bit stale.
I actually think the DLF podcast has dramatically improved. I remember a couple of years ago (when it first started), the big complaints were all about how dry and boring it was, Tim and Jarrett didn't have any chemistry, etc. I guess you can't please everyone.. But I think they have a much better balance now than they did before and they are nowhere near other leading pods like the ESPN fantasy podcast (can't remember the name) in terms of fluff and non-football talk.
IRL 12Team 28man 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1Superflex: PPR w/ small TE-Premium
Dak, Murray, Wentz, Darnold, Fitzpatrick
CEH, Gibson, Sanders, Javonte, Moss, Nwangwu
ARob, Sutton, ODB, Parker, Ruggs, Miller, Boykin
Waller, Hockenson, Pitts, OJH, Trautman, Gesicki, Everett
2022 1st (2), 2nd, 3rd, 4th

War Room 12Team 28man: 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 4Flex, 1Superflex: .5/1/1.5 Tiered-PPR, 1-Round Devy league
Dak, Murray, LJax, *Rattler
Etienne, AJD, Hubbard, Stevenson, Hawkins, *Spiller
Sutton, ODB, Jeudy, Reagor, Shenault, Rodgers, Kirk, Boykin, *G.Wilson
Hockenson, Jonnu, Firkser, Asiasi
2022 1st (2), 2nd, 3rd, *Devy 4th (2)

Shortie
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Shortie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:23 am

Rustyram78 wrote:I use the Stitcher app and listen to DLF, UTH and Dynasty nerds..... I can't seem to find any other good dynasty podcasts.... Are there any good ones out there other than the big 3?

There's nothing wrong with these, it's just that I have loads of time to listen to podcasts while I'm working and I can't wait for every Wednesday morning for these 3 to come out..... So I'm always looking to hear different or new dynasty ideas.....

Heh, this is me. I consume podcasts about 12 hrs a week and constantly look around for more. I've been playing in redraft fantasy football for 20 years; however, I've only been in dynasty only 4 years so I consume the content because it made fanatsy even more interesting. :thumbup: .

So first, for everyone else, the ones you know about are the best already (and in my order of obessession):

- UTH: Hands down the best. I'm a fanboy. They are the extreme sport of dynasty. It's almost a cult following at this point for me and even when I don't agree with Chad and Doug, I still take something away from their reasoning. If I could get their passion + DLF's website and forum power merged together, it would be nirvana. I went into my first, full-blown rebuild this year and basically UTH held my hand through it, as I sold anyone over the age of 25... I stepped off the cliff.... And my team then became nearly the highest scoring team, won my division and made the playoffs. And oh, by the way, I now have the youngest team in the league, 3 more first rounders, and everyone trying to mimc what I did. All I can say is I did it "the UTH way," now take some #UTHDetergent to that perennially-mediocre, old team of yours and #packageup!

- Dynasty Nerds: Love these guys. Entertaining but not annoying. Witty but not forced. Opinionated and even differ with each other but not faked or contrived when they do. They just talk it out, watch college football and give you good dynasty analysis on the NFL. Feels exactly like when I have drinks and talk dynasty with my close friend (and dynasty co-owner), except in podcast form. A balance between DLF and UTH on dynasty strategy.

- DLF: My first dynasty podcast and I've been listening since the beginning. Disgaree though with previous poster .... As I believe it has gotten better. Not that I don't miss Tim at times but it seems a bit more prepared now at least. I do think they're missing Jarrett (where you be, J??) to keep it flowing, but he's done this for a long time and just has a ton of experience by now. Or said otherwise: A structured show is easier said than done when you're trying to build chemistry with your partner, run the show, provide analysis, keep the show structured and not sound like you're reading a script. I think Eric and Karl do a wonderful job, though I consider them more traditional, 3-year window dynasty strategists. A good balance to the hardcore nature of UTH, I suppose. But regardless, the content is fine. I think the chemistry of the other two shows are already established so that makes the banter between the two groups feel different is all. So more time but like this podcast a lot. One last thing: the best "podcast" out there are these forums... I learn as much from you guys as I do anyone. One of reasons DLF hooks me :)

PFF Fantasy Slant: Multiple podcasts but I migrate to the podcasts with Scott Spratt. He's focused on dynasty content with PFF so his podcasts tend to have mostly (not all) of a dynasty take. Smart guy. His tone of voice can be unique at first (he's fairly monotone) but not only does he grow on you, it makes his occassional quips hilarious once you realize he's poking at his co-host, who is also good but his name escapes. But the numbers and facts Scott has are great. He took the holidays off but is starting up again soon.

The Football Guys: On the Couch: You get all of their podcasts but the On the Couch is the one. Sigmund Bloom and the "bowdown, son, he's arrived" Matt Waldman attend. Not full dynasty content but great analysis that occassionally strays into dynasty. Not a regular podcast but tends to ramp in the offseason as the draft nears.

Those are the main ones.... The other ones previously mentioned fall into these buckets:

Gone/No More:
- 2 Mugs

No offseason podcast right now or Gone:
(i.e., you aren't hardcore if you aren't playing the game right now, of all times)
- fakepigskin
- the fakedgoods
- ESPN Fantasy Underground

Not dynasty content:
- Rotoviz: Great for "what else is out there to analyze football" podcast. Occassionally hear about new tools that I use to research players/ propsects. Very scripted in its sound. If only Rotoviz would be.... Um, rotoviz from their website? ...they'd probably surpass all other podcasts here for pure content and data.

RotoUnderworld: Had such high hopes after listening to him on DLF. If he was who was on DLF, I'd be very very interested. But he's trying too hard to be a cult of personality on his show and be interesting, like some ESPN analysts try to be controversial rather than sports announcers. Instead this guy should stick to football analysis, advice and trends. He's learning but would do better with a bigger site or a buddy.

Proces the Process: Good for draft prep or just learning how to get to the draft. Just started up.

Move the Sticks with DJ: Draft prep for me in offseason. Not dynasty focused.

Draft Countdown: Just getting into this one. Draft prep.

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ebsteelers » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:02 am

Plank wrote:Move the sticks with Daniel Jeremiah (was mentioned that he's going to do two a week leading up to the combine)
http://www.nfl.com/podcasts?series=move ... ks-podcast

The Audible (same as On the Coach, listed above)
http://subscribers.footballguys.com/podcast/

Josh Norris is hosting a new podcast "Process the Process"
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/5 ... pisode-one

Draft Countdown on blogtalkradio
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown

NFL Network will also be hosting "Path to the Draft" a half hour show which I'm sure will have a podcast component.. not sure when it will start though.

If listened to a few others but couldn't recommend them, heh...

how are the josh norris ones? i heard him on the couch, but havent had time to "process the process"

are they worth listening to?

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:13 am

ebsteelers wrote: how are the josh norris ones? i heard him on the couch, but havent had time to "process the process"

He doesn't focus on skill position players, so it's hit or miss in that respect. For instance, Episode 3 with Lance Zierlein was exclusively about scouting O-Linemen. But as far as production quality and content, it's among the best out there.
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ebsteelers » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:57 am

Jules wrote:
ebsteelers wrote: how are the josh norris ones? i heard him on the couch, but havent had time to "process the process"

He doesn't focus on skill position players, so it's hit or miss in that respect. For instance, Episode 3 with Lance Zierlein was exclusively about scouting O-Linemen. But as far as production quality and content, it's among the best out there.
Cool. Thanks. its not one that is geared directly towards fantasy, probably still worth a listen compared to most junk that is on the radio

hammertoes
Role Player
Role Player

Postby hammertoes » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:00 am

DonBrazi wrote:
hammertoes wrote:I will admit that DLF spends too much time talking with their guest about their background, how they got into fantasy, where they've worked, etc. A minute or two is fine sure, but I don't need to hear your life story. I usually will just skip ahead a few minutes to see if they're talking football yet. And the old/young jokes are getting a bit stale.
I actually think the DLF podcast has dramatically improved. I remember a couple of years ago (when it first started), the big complaints were all about how dry and boring it was, Tim and Jarrett didn't have any chemistry, etc. I guess you can't please everyone.. But I think they have a much better balance now than they did before and they are nowhere near other leading pods like the ESPN fantasy podcast (can't remember the name) in terms of fluff and non-football talk.
Oh I absolutely agree that they've improved. There used to be tons of dead air and awkward pauses. Much better than it used to be, just don't need to spend SO much time filling us in on the guests' backgrounds.

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ebsteelers » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:17 am

Plank wrote:
Jules wrote:For football talk, Advanced Football Analytics and Three Cone Drill.

The guy who does Rotounderworld is smart and mildly obnoxious on Twitter. I've listened to only one episode, but he seems smart and *very* obnoxious on the podcast.
I was initially excited about his podcast when I heard him on the podcast the other day, the episode I listened to started off great, talking about Cobb, Crotchery .. then he started howling, imitating Bill Belichick for over 20 mins .. was like okay ... this guy needs a co-host badly, I mean seriously who has time to listen to a guy howl and do imitations for a half hour?

Afraid to listen to another one...
who is the very obnoxious guy?

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:34 am

ebsteelers wrote:
Plank wrote:
Jules wrote:For football talk, Advanced Football Analytics and Three Cone Drill.

The guy who does Rotounderworld is smart and mildly obnoxious on Twitter. I've listened to only one episode, but he seems smart and *very* obnoxious on the podcast.
I was initially excited about his podcast when I heard him on the podcast the other day, the episode I listened to started off great, talking about Cobb, Crotchery .. then he started howling, imitating Bill Belichick for over 20 mins .. was like okay ... this guy needs a co-host badly, I mean seriously who has time to listen to a guy howl and do imitations for a half hour?

Afraid to listen to another one...
who is the very obnoxious guy?
Matt Kelley (aka @Fantasy_Mansion), who hosts Rotounderworld

Rustyram78
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Rustyram78 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:11 am

Shortie- wow!! Awesome post man, thanks for that!!!! I'll be checking those out...

Btw- what podcast app do you use??? As long as I can get dlf/uth/nerds and my real ghost stories online, I'm in, lol..... those 4 are my favorite with a few others peppered in.....

I agree though that UTH has become my favorite..... just a great podcast for dynasty all the way around!

Dingram
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dingram » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:27 pm

joeday wrote:
Hawks Nest 12th Man wrote:Fantasy Feast w/ Ross Tucker and Evan Silva.
God, I hope that got better because I listened to like the first 4 eps and it was TERRIBLE. Listening to Tucker try to understand fantasy football and Silva having to dumb things down was soooooo frustrating
Haha, I agree. Was very disappointed with this podcast. Listened to one, & that was my last

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:12 pm

Was a lot like ... wait, some guys play fantasy all year long? How do they do that? haha..
@PlankMelody

dsallupinyaarea
Rookie
Rookie

Postby dsallupinyaarea » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:49 pm

The UTH podcast is becoming an echo chamber. It's just 2 guys patting each other on the back for 70 minutes. If you listened to their podcast and didn't actually track the players, you'd think they never missed.

The DLF podcast is more transparant and diverse. I still have them at a comfortable #1 in my rankings.

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:39 pm

ESPN's First Draft is back. I acknowledge that I have pretty low standards.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:42 pm

It's desperate times for long commutes, found myself listening NFL Insiders twice this week...
@PlankMelody