Christine Michael vs. Carlos Hyde

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
evorzan
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Christine Michael vs. Carlos Hyde

Postby evorzan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:30 am

ninotoreS wrote:I'd prefer Hyde at this point, but it's a very marginal preference.

Both guys are far from guarantees; I only prefer Hyde because I think he poses less risk than Michael (it's still not guaranteed Lynch is gone next season, and although he's certainly built for it, technically Michael hasn't objectively proven he can handle a feature-back load yet).

Michael pros:

+ truly freakish weight/speed/explosion ratios; sky is the limit, athletically
+ likely to be more involved than Hyde as a pass-catcher (nice for weekly floor)

Michael cons:

- never carried a full-load in college
- durability is a question-mark
- it's not impossible Lynch remains a Seahawk an additional season

Hyde pros:

+ 100% proven as a full-load capable guy
+ Gore is a free-agent in 2015; Hyde was clearly picked to replace him

Hyde cons:

- not nearly as explosive as Michael
- Niner RBs have been annoyingly underused as pass-catchers since Roman took over as OC
I like this structure of pros and cons, but would add a couple:

Michael cons:
- Robert Turbin is still in the mix and has been out-touching Michael this year - who does coaching staff trust more?

Hyde pros:
- Competition to replace Gore has faded unless a RB is drafted highly in 2015 - Lattimore retires, Hunter looks to be injury prone COP, James cut.

Hyde cons:
- OSU had huge holes to run through, is he decisive enough to run between the tackles at pro level successfully?
Follow me @evorzan on Twitter
Formerly posting as Steveeb

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:07 am

I think you're looking at CMike as the early down guy with Turbin coming in for passing situations. I think Seattle is confident in CMike's running ability, but he's too far back in the other aspects to slap him in there and risk Wilson's health in a real game.

I think Hyde is going to be plugged in as the lead back and you'll see either Kendall Hunter or a rookie as a CoP. Either of those options could take over passing downs, but unless the rookie is in the early rounds I think the odds are in Hyde's favour to be a lead back. The one problem that could come up would be if Harbaugh is fired or resigns, which seems like a legitmate possibility if you've been listening to the media this season. If a new coach comes in, who knows what happens?
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:34 am

Steveeb wrote: Michael cons:
- Robert Turbin is still in the mix and has been out-touching Michael this year - who does coaching staff trust more?
I specifically didn't mention Turbin because personally I don't think he's very good, and thus isn't a real long-term obstacle to Michael. Reliable back-up and passing-down RB, but when I look at his tape as a runner, I just don't see anything special. At all.

Michael may bust... but if he does, I don't think it'll be because of Robert Turbin. For the Seahawks, I think the future at the position post-Lynch is either Michael, or someone as yet undrafted.

Just my opinion, though. I'm wrong only marginally less often than I'm right. lol.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:56 am

ninotoreS wrote:I'd prefer Hyde at this point, but it's a very marginal preference.

Both guys are far from guarantees; I only prefer Hyde because I think he poses less risk than Michael (it's still not guaranteed Lynch is gone next season, and although he's certainly built for it, technically Michael hasn't objectively proven he can handle a feature-back load yet).

Michael pros:

+ truly freakish weight/speed/explosion ratios; sky is the limit, athletically
+ likely to be more involved than Hyde as a pass-catcher (nice for weekly floor)

Michael cons:

- never carried a full-load in college
- durability is a question-mark
- it's not impossible Lynch remains a Seahawk an additional season

Hyde pros:

+ 100% proven as a full-load capable guy
+ Gore is a free-agent in 2015; Hyde was clearly picked to replace him

Hyde cons:

- not nearly as explosive as Michael
- Niner RBs have been annoyingly underused as pass-catchers since Roman took over as OC
I'm banking on Roman being gone after this year to change the 49er's RB's pass catching woes.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:37 pm

flyersfan1981 wrote:
captain_insano wrote:I thought they might use C Mike a little more by now if they were planning to use him as the lead back next year.
Two schools of thought:

A) They are not convinced he is the guy and don't believe in him, or

B) They have no plans of having Lynch next year so they figure they will just run him into the ground and cut him in the offseason, where CMike will be fresh

Which school of thought is right I have no idea, but a case can be made either way for CMike not getting more carries.
I'd think they'd want to keep Lynch at least a little fresh for the playoffs.

flyersfan1981
Legend
Legend

Postby flyersfan1981 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:54 pm

Lotto4Life wrote:
flyersfan1981 wrote:
captain_insano wrote:I thought they might use C Mike a little more by now if they were planning to use him as the lead back next year.
Two schools of thought:

A) They are not convinced he is the guy and don't believe in him, or

B) They have no plans of having Lynch next year so they figure they will just run him into the ground and cut him in the offseason, where CMike will be fresh

Which school of thought is right I have no idea, but a case can be made either way for CMike not getting more carries.
I'd think they'd want to keep Lynch at least a little fresh for the playoffs.
Don't they have to make them? Seattle is far from a lock to even make the playoffs so I am sure Seattle is more worried about making the playoffs than having a fresh Lynch for them. All their remaining home games are division games which ups their difficulty to win all 3. And they have to travel to Philly, AZ, and SF so they may only have 3 more wins on their schedule and 9-7 won't get them in...10-6 might not even get them in.
#1-12 Team .5 PPR TE Premium (20-max)

Winston, Wentz
Ingram, Jones, Dalvin Cook, Rawls, Smallwood, McGuire
Evans, Keenan, Parker, Corey Davis, Lockett, Ty Williams
Ertz
1.05/1.06/1.07

#2-12 Team .5 PPR (25-max)

Rivers, Wilson
Gurley, JStew, West, Duke, Breida, Smallwood, Joe Williams
Nuk, Alshon, Sanders, Doctson, Crowder, Carroo, Carlos Henderson
Ertz, Kittle

#3 14-team PPR (27-max) Year 2

Rodgers, Bortles
McCoy, Howard, Chubb, Crowell, Cohen, D. Martin, McGuire, Joe Williams, Breida, West, Aaron Jones
Cooks, Alshon, MBryant, Britt, Boyd, Wright, Carroo, Chad Williams
Kelce, Julius Thomas, Jesse James, Shaheen, D. Allen

#4 12-team PPR S-flex TE Prem

Wentz, Trubisky, Cutler
Kamara, Ajayi, Howard, Lacy, Mack, Elijah McGuire, Sproles, Turbin
Hopkins, Alshon, Parker, Stills, Britt, ArDarius, P Cooper, TWilliams
Brate, Green, D Allen, Higbee, Hodges, Anderson
1.02/1.10

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:32 pm

Good point

UtterSurety
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby UtterSurety » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:46 pm

It drives me crazy talking about Michael. I am pretty sure the people saying Turbin is a "passing down back only" don't watch football. The limited action Turbin has seen this year, he has looked like a starting caliber running back although he needs volume because he is not a speed demon. For Turbin to still be ahead of Michael should tell most the story. Michael has been, injury prone and not a pass catcher in the NFL or at A&M. Seattle is also going to a more QB based offense so a more versatile running back would make sense.

As far a Hyde v. Michael I give the edge to Hyde. Hyde has a proven to be a decent receiver and pass blocker. I think his struggles are due, in most part to SF's oline struggles and he has a clearer path to pt.

ajmyk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ajmyk » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:54 pm

I'm a Hyde owner, and I keep trusting everybody super high judgement on him, but honnestly ? He's been running poorly all season on the carries he got.
1. 14-teamer, .5 PPR, 2 Flex, 16 keepers
QB :Palmer, Bridgewater, RG3
RB : Gurley, Hyde, Yeldon, McKinnon
WR: Dez, Jeffery, Evans, Watkins, Marshall, Diggs, Sharpe
TE : Eifert, ASJ,
IDP : Mosley, Olegtree, Collins &Stuff

2. 12-teamer, standard, 6 PTD, full dynasty
QB: Rodgers, Bortles, Petty
RB : McCoy, Forsett, Spiller, Lewis, KRob, Ridley, Haynes
WR : Julio, AJ Green, Tate, Latimer, Lee
TE : Gronk , Hill, Chandler

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:48 am

T_4_3 wrote:I am pretty sure the people saying Turbin is a "passing down back only" don't watch football
Sure. He's also a CoP back. And a serviceable back-up, maybe.
although he needs volume because he is not a speed demon
Any RB at least slightly better than replacement-level will be fantasy-productive if granted enough volume. It won't make them 'good', however.
For Turbin to still be ahead of Michael should tell most the story
The story is that Michael isn't as reliable as Turbin in pass-protection. That is, indeed, the entire novel.

However, physically, there's no reason Michael can't become serviceable in pass-protection. He has the size, weight, and upper-body strength (to spare). He needs to get better at picking up his assignment.
Michael has been injury prone
Finally, something we can agree on.
Not a pass catcher
Actually, plenty of scouts profiled Michael as having perfectly capable hands. This is reflected in all those passes he caught in preseason this year. He was more active as pass-catcher than Turbin, in fact. That was one of the items on the list I needed to see with Michael, and which I was subsequently able to check off.

I also recall seeing at least a couple of one-handed snags on his tape. He can catch footballs.
Seattle is also going to a more QB based offense so a more versatile running back would make sense.
Partially agreed. I do think the Hawks are planning on Wilson eventually being asked to pass for more than just ~200 yards a game. But even so, I doubt Wilson will ever be a high-volume passer (he just isn't tall enough). So even though I expect the RB-load to be scaled back post-Beast Mode, whoever is heading the running game will still remain the primary chain-mover in the offense. And Turbin just doesn't have the bottom-line talent to be a *heavily featured* runner on the ground, enough to build the entire offense around, shoulder-to-shoulder with Wilson. Michael might, however.
As far a Hyde v. Michael I give the edge to Hyde. Hyde has a proven to be a decent receiver and pass blocker. I think his struggles are due, in most part to SF's oline struggles and he has a clearer path to pt.
Fully agreed.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

UtterSurety
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby UtterSurety » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Please keep drafting Michael with 5th round start up picks and trading rookie first round picks for him, while I get Tubin dirt cheap.