Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Rank these players...

Postby TheOracle » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:15 am

Hankerson
Young
Cobb

Brown.

Whenever there's a "rank these X guys" thread, there's almost always one guy who doesn't belong on the list. In this case Vincent Browns doesn't have the ceiling or the floor of the others on this list.

I like Hankerson because he's the only one of the three who profiles as a redzone/TD guy. I think Cobb has a higher ceiling than young but an even lower floor, enough that I'd take Young over Cobb.
12 team//24 Man Roster//1QB,2RB,4WR,1TE,1RB/WR/TE/1K/1DST//0.5 point PPR//$350 Salary Cap (Salary per year/Years)
QB= Stafford (19/3), Luck (10/1), Locker (1/1),
RB= Forte (39/3), Murray (11/3), Mathews (34/3), Martin (10/1), Tate (11/3), Hunter (6/1), F. Jones (3/1)
WR= Green (21/3), Harvin (27/3), Maclin (33/3), Bowe (23/1) Thomas (11/3), Quick (5/1), Hill (10/1)
TE= Hernandez (19/1), Rudolph (8/1)

12 Team, non-PPR, All TDs 6, QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, DEF, K, 20 man rosters, cut to 14 for Rookie/FA Draft
QB: RG3, Newton, Wilson
RB: Richardson, Martin, Spiller, Charles, L. Miller, L. James,
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Cruz, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Alexander, Hankerson,
TE: Gronk,

Puchicas
Starter
Starter

Postby Puchicas » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:55 pm

MR ROURKE wrote:
Puchicas wrote:
MR ROURKE wrote: I have never had T.Young or Cobb above Hankerson, so I guess I'm not a part of the consensus. I would drop T.Young to pick up Hankerson.
Can you tell me why?

I mean, in each case, you're taking a bet. But why not bet on the guy in the crazy passing attack on the opposite side of the best receiver in football? Can you really make a reliable prediction about Washington at this point? And I know it's about talent over situation, but I was under the impression that Young and Hankerson have comparable talent. Granted, I don't know anything about evaluating players.
If T.Young wins the job on the other side of Calvin, his production will be a roller coaster at best. Sure, he'll put up a couple huge games, but I'm betting he also puts up a lot of games that don't make him someone you would want in your lineup. T.Young will never be "the guy". T.Young also played against inferior talent in college to what Hankerson faced. T.Young has small hands and used his body to catch the ball a lot in college, which is not good in the NFL. L.Hankerson has huge hands and is obviously much bigger/stronger. T.Young has character concerns, which appear to still be an issue since he punched a teammate. Hankerson having Chris Carter as his high school position coach and working with Mark Duper in college doesn't hurt his stock either. There isn't a better WR on the Redskins roster in my opinion, so I don't see T.Young's being a more gifted WR or being in a better situation then Hankerson. T.Young's situation is worse then Hankerson's to me.
Advice taken. Since Titus would be my WR6 anyway, I'm all about upside there. And your arguments make me think Hankerson is a better gamble.
Year 2 | 12-Team | 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2Flex(RB, WR or TE) | 1/2 PPR

QB TLawrence, KPickett, MRyan
RB McCaffrey, Dobbs, KWalker, Penny, Michel, Evans, JJackson
WR Chase, Samuel, Sutton, EMoore, Aiyuk, Mooney, Tolbert
TE Kittle, Jonnu, OJHoward, Trautman

'23 Picks: 1, 2, 3, etc.

Note: Empire league (Consecutive championships wins prize pool and league resets)

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:20 pm

I'm not as down on Brown as the rest of you, so I won't add a bunch of whitespace.

Hankerson
Cobb
Young
Brown

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:12 pm

I like the long-term potential of Hankerson the most. Dude is faster, bigger and stronger than all the other guys in this list. I think he has the best opportunity to become "The Guy", because I think Garcon is overrated and Morgan is a bum. Even if Moss still has some in the tank, he's going to drop off sooner rather than later. Hankerson has all the tools and a talented young QB to grow with.

With Broyles signing in Detroit, I see Young as Detroit's version of Robert Meachem. He'll be a spot starter that continually falls short of potential in Detroit due to the talent he competes with for targets.

I see a Chris Chambers replay for Brown in San Diego. He'll be servicable, but always behind the top receiver, running back and top tight end for targets.

Cobb's value is mostly in special teams right now and I'm not really sure why people think that's going to change. Nelson and Jennings are the top two guys and Cobb isn't touching them. I still see Jones ahead of him and Driver is going to eat some reps as well. All I hear is they've got to find a way to get him the ball, but why? Lots of talent in GB and who do they have to take over return duties? A poor man's Devin Hester at this point.

I'll also say that I fully expect I may eat some of these words as they've all got potential to be more than I give them credit for, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:20 pm

ericanadian wrote:Cobb's value is mostly in special teams right now and I'm not really sure why people think that's going to change. Nelson and Jennings are the top two guys and Cobb isn't touching them. I still see Jones ahead of him and Driver is going to eat some reps as well. All I hear is they've got to find a way to get him the ball, but why? Lots of talent in GB and who do they have to take over return duties? A poor man's Devin Hester at this point
You forgot Finley. :P

Sounds like short-term analysis to me. I wouldn't worry much about Jones. Driver is hanging on by a thread. I look at Cobb as the 4th option currently. In a year or 2, I can see him becoming the 3rd or even 2nd option, and that would be enough value for me to put him ahead of Young IMO. Head to head, I like Cobb more than Young. Young just has a better opportunity at the moment.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:28 pm

holy_stromboli wrote:
ericanadian wrote:Cobb's value is mostly in special teams right now and I'm not really sure why people think that's going to change. Nelson and Jennings are the top two guys and Cobb isn't touching them. I still see Jones ahead of him and Driver is going to eat some reps as well. All I hear is they've got to find a way to get him the ball, but why? Lots of talent in GB and who do they have to take over return duties? A poor man's Devin Hester at this point
You forgot Finley. :P

Sounds like short-term analysis to me. I wouldn't worry much about Jones. Driver is hanging on by a thread. I look at Cobb as the 4th option currently. In a year or 2, I can see him becoming the 3rd or even 2nd option, and that would be enough value for me to put him ahead of Young IMO. Head to head, I like Cobb more than Young. Young just has a better opportunity at the moment.
Does Nelson or Cobb shift to outside from slot? Does Jennings walk in free agency and does Green Bay trust in Nelson/Cobb as their top two receivers and then let Finley walk the following year to get Cobb to the second option? Cobb is a slot guy with a better slot guy blocking his path and I think him being stuck handling returns will make it difficult to transition to a full time role in the offense. All of these guys have potential, but I put Cobb the lowest because I see him as the lowest floor in a no return yardage league as well as the guy with the most obstacles to reaching his potential.

As I said in my original post, I may end up eating these words.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker