Tank "The Tank" Bigsby

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Tank "The Tank" Bigsby

Postby MFundercover » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:38 am

Too bad hes stuck behind etienne. I could buy in if he was in a better situation. Looks like he will need an injury in front of him to be fantasy viable.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:42 am

So the crazy is spreading and is now bleeding into this thread. Great.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:46 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:42 am So the crazy is spreading and is now bleeding into this thread. Great.
I didnt say anything that hasn't been already said by others here. Get over it.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:48 am

MFundercover wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:46 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:42 am So the crazy is spreading and is now bleeding into this thread. Great.
Identified with that response, did you?

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:50 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:48 am
MFundercover wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:46 am
Identified with that response, did you?
You're not clever. You're post was obviously a response to me.

If anyone is derailing this thread, it's you.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:27 am

Tank Bigsby continues to excite ahead of training camp

Anything that comes after this sentence needs to be taken with the context of this being minicamp. Minicamp is already a glorified week of walkthroughs to begin with, but there are also only two starters on defense for the Jaguars' offense to go against in Josh Allen and Devin Lloyd. With that said, there is no doubt that the player to watch for the Jaguars in these settings has been Tank Bigsby.

Bigsby seems to impress everyone who sees him up close for the first time this week just based on his massive size and bulk alone, but the No. 88 overall pick and former Auburn bell-cow has shown time and time again that he isn't just a big back. He has impressed with a number of grabs during individual and team drills all offseason and Tuesday was more of the same, with Bigsby making several notable grabs that show he is a natural pass-catcher. There is a lot more that comes to the passing game than simply being good at catching the ball, but the explosive Bigsby has at least answered any questions about himself in that regard this week and in past weeks.
https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/jag ... f-minicamp

I think ETN owners are in for a surprise. As said previously, ETN wasn't a pass catcher in college and tried to work on it, but that ultimate led to a meaningless target share.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:50 am

Lumps wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:27 am

Anything that comes after this sentence needs to be taken with the context of this being minicamp. Minicamp is already a glorified week of walkthroughs to begin with, but there are also only two starters on defense for the Jaguars' offense to go against in Josh Allen and Devin Lloyd. With that said, there is no doubt that the player to watch for the Jaguars in these settings has been Tank Bigsby.

Bigsby seems to impress everyone who sees him up close for the first time this week just based on his massive size and bulk alone, but the No. 88 overall pick and former Auburn bell-cow has shown time and time again that he isn't just a big back. He has impressed with a number of grabs during individual and team drills all offseason and Tuesday was more of the same, with Bigsby making several notable grabs that show he is a natural pass-catcher. There is a lot more that comes to the passing game than simply being good at catching the ball, but the explosive Bigsby has at least answered any questions about himself in that regard this week and in past weeks.

I think ETN owners are in for a surprise. As said previously, ETN wasn't a pass catcher in college and tried to work on it, but that ultimate led to a meaningless target share.
I'm all for Tank doing well, as I roster him, but this is the most important part of this article.

"Anything that comes after this sentence needs to be taken with the context of this being minicamp. Minicamp is already a glorified week of walkthroughs to begin with."

Their in shorts basically stretching their legs, going through basic drills. Good to hear that he's shown well with his hands, but this shouldn't come as a surprise. The key for Bigsby will be his understanding of the offense, blocking assignments, and pass protection, which they aren't doing right now. He's got the added uphill battle of competing against a guy who Lawrence played with for years in college, and is comfortable with. Not saying he can't do it, but ultimately the blocking is much more important for Tank being out there in passing situations, especially with the Jags losing a starting tackle in FA, and another to suspension for the first 6 games.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

frerichs5
MVP
MVP

Postby frerichs5 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:00 am

ETN only played 59.3% of their RB snaps last year. Unless you think that is high, I don’t see a reason to be concerned for ETN even if Bigsby does take some pass catching work. Hard to not see him having similar number to last year unless snap share changes significantly.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:02 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:50 am

I'm all for Tank doing well, as I roster him, but this is the most important part of this article.

"Anything that comes after this sentence needs to be taken with the context of this being minicamp. Minicamp is already a glorified week of walkthroughs to begin with."

Their in shorts basically stretching their legs, going through basic drills. Good to hear that he's shown well with his hands, but this shouldn't come as a surprise. The key for Bigsby will be his understanding of the offense, blocking assignments, and pass protection, which they aren't doing right now. He's got the added uphill battle of competing against a guy who Lawrence played with for years in college, and is comfortable with. Not saying he can't do it, but ultimately the blocking is much more important for Tank being out there in passing situations, especially with the Jags losing a starting tackle in FA, and another to suspension for the first 6 games.
I should state I am not of the mindset that Tank is going to take over this backfield from ETN. They are going to coexist, however, the amount of touches ETN is going to lose is going to surprise his owners/truthers.

As for ETN being in on passing situations, we already saw he didn't command a high target share. He wasn't a good receiver in college and hasn't shown it yet in the NFL. Bigsby is a rookie, so pass blocking is going to be less than desired. Pretty normal.
frerichs5 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:00 am
ETN only played 59.3% of their RB snaps last year. Unless you think that is high, I don’t see a reason to be concerned for ETN even if Bigsby does take some pass catching work. Hard to not see him having similar number to last year unless snap share changes significantly.
Snap share is one thing. As I said previously, ETN had 74% of the rushes on the season, which was even higher at the end of the season when Robinson fell off/was traded. They don't want that again and have already stated so.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:20 am

Lumps wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:02 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:50 am

I should state I am not of the mindset that Tank is going to take over this backfield from ETN. They are going to coexist, however, the amount of touches ETN is going to lose is going to surprise his owners/truthers.

As for ETN being in on passing situations, we already saw he didn't command a high target share. He wasn't a good receiver in college and hasn't shown it yet in the NFL. Bigsby is a rookie, so pass blocking is going to be less than desired. Pretty normal.
I agree they will coexist. Tank will be the short yardage and goal line back. In an ascending offense, that should be a decent role. His third down capabilities are still very unproven at best.

From a passing game aspect, the Jags have been awful at throwing to the RBs since 1) Fournette was released or 2) Lawrence became the QB. I'll be curious to see if they can improve on this even a little from their last two seasons where they ranked 27th in each season. Lots of room for growth, and I think it could benefit Etienne as much as anyone else. We shall see. Could be they just didn't view JRob, Etienne, Hasty, Ogunbawale, or Hyde as viable pass catchers. Or it could be that Lawrence just isnt a check down QB at this point.

Could you explain what you mean by ETN not being a good receiver in college? Dude had a season where he caught 48 balls for almost 600 yards, which seems pretty solid. In the NFL, I agree that he has either been misused or just isn't translating, but am undecided which.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:31 am

CGW wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:20 am
I agree they will coexist. Tank will be the short yardage and goal line back. In an ascending offense, that should be a decent role. His third down capabilities are still very unproven at best.

From a passing game aspect, the Jags have been awful at throwing to the RBs since 1) Fournette was released or 2) Lawrence became the QB. I'll be curious to see if they can improve on this even a little from their last two seasons where they ranked 27th in each season. Lots of room for growth, and I think it could benefit Etienne as much as anyone else. We shall see. Could be they just didn't view JRob, Etienne, Hasty, Ogunbawale, or Hyde as viable pass catchers. Or it could be that Lawrence just isnt a check down QB at this point.

Could you explain what you mean by ETN not being a good receiver in college? Dude had a season where he caught 48 balls for almost 600 yards, which seems pretty solid. In the NFL, I agree that he has either been misused or just isn't translating, but am undecided which.
I would hazard to guess that Lawrence isn't a check down kind of guy. It could get worse with Ridley being there now, should he return to form - and by all accounts he has.

ETN didn't have many catches until his senior year. Remember when everyone was surprised he did not come out as a junior? Did he go back to play with Trevor again? If he got high draft capital projections, you have to assume he would have gone to the NFL. Maybe he did and wanted to go for a championship? Maybe teams saw a speed back that doesn't catch the ball? We won't ever know. It almost seemed a concerted effort to give him catches his final year. He also stated he wanted to improve that part of his game.

I'd summarize it with he doesn't look natural/fluid on routes/catching. Certainly not the fluidity that he has running the ball.

frerichs5
MVP
MVP

Postby frerichs5 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:36 pm

Snap share is one thing. As I said previously, ETN had 74% of the rushes on the season, which was even higher at the end of the season when Robinson fell off/was traded. They don't want that again and have already stated so.
I agree, but you have to be on the field to get touches. Do you think Etienne gets less snaps, touches, or both? 60% doesn’t seem a lot to me.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:51 pm

frerichs5 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:36 pm
I agree, but you have to be on the field to get touches. Do you think Etienne gets less snaps, touches, or both? 60% doesn’t seem a lot to me.
I could easily see a world where Bigsby = Ingram and ETN = Kamara. I don't necessarily mean roles (we know ETN isn't the pass catcher that Kamara is and we don't totally know Bigsby so far), but we have a pounder and we have a high efficiency one. PPT proponents eat your heart out! :lol:

ETN doesn't need to be on the field all the time to significantly affect a game or score fantasy points. Regardless of snap share (again they had nothing after ETN especially after Robinson fell apart and was traded) his touch share is going to go down because of the afore mentioned reasons.

frerichs5
MVP
MVP

Postby frerichs5 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:09 pm

Lumps wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:51 pm
frerichs5 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:36 pm

I could easily see a world where Bigsby = Ingram and ETN = Kamara. I don't necessarily mean roles (we know ETN isn't the pass catcher that Kamara is and we don't totally know Bigsby so far), but we have a pounder and we have a high efficiency one. PPT proponents eat your heart out! :lol:

ETN doesn't need to be on the field all the time to significantly affect a game or score fantasy points. Regardless of snap share (again they had nothing after ETN especially after Robinson fell apart and was traded) his touch share is going to go down because of the afore mentioned reasons.
Good discussion. I do wonder what the 74% referenced is now though. I’m seeing ETN with 220 rushes. The team as a whole had 448. That’s only 49%. Even if I remove QB and WR rushes I’m only getting to 61%.

Just for fun I looked at the top 13 rush attempt players. Cut off at 13 because that’s where ETN landed. He had the 3rd lowest rush/snap percent. So he already had a lower rush attempt per snap. I guess I have a hard time not seeing him get similar carries without a decrease in snap percentage.

Jamaal Williams 262 rushes / 460 snaps 57.0%
Henry 349 / 648 / 53.9%
Chubb 302 / 660 / 45.8%
Jacobs 340 / 821 / 41.4%
Elliott 231 / 558 / 41.4%
Walker 228 / 575 / 39.7%
Sanders 259 / 673 / 38.5%
Harris 272 / 763 / 35.6%
Kamara 223 / 642 / 34.7%
Barkley 295 / 856 / 34.5%
Etienne 220 / 669 / 32.9%
McCaffrey 244 / 746 / 32.7%
Cook 264 / 841 / 31.4%

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:20 pm

I'm into Bigsby as an elite handcuff but the disrespect to ETN in this thread is staggering.

The man was literally drafted there to be a receiving back. He played WR at the start of rookie training camp.. saying he's definitively not a good receiver because he didn't command targets in what was essentially his rookie year is a bit of a leap. He was 5th in the NFL in yards per reception among RBs and 17th in YPRR. It's very possible he improves as a receiver with time.

ETN was taking more than 74% of the rushes after Robinson was cut and while he weighed in at the combine at 215 he plays closer to 205. That's not the kind of guy you want being a full blown workhorse.

Bigsby will eat into his touches -- and that's a good thing since it will allow him to be more efficient and fresher for the more valuable touches. :thumbsup: