General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Durham Smythe, TE MIA

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu May 18, 2023 5:49 am

Anteaters wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:57 am
killer_of_giants wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:56 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:10 pm And bringing up Kittle anywhere while discussing him? Seriously?
didn't you notice who you were replying to?
:lol:
I didn't compare Smythe to Kittle. I said only that McDaniel's offense does not preclude a TE putting up fantasy relevant stats and used Kittle as exhibit A. I went as far as to say Smythe may not even turn out to be Miami's primary TE. All I was trying to get across was that in a land of almost worthless free agents, if a fantasy manager in a TEP and/or 2TE league has a need for a TE and he has an empty roster spot, Smythe might be as good as a dart throw flyer as anyone else likely to be available.

The odds are promising. The longshot is there. And that's half of what we do in fantasy. We take a few guys we hope are sure shots, we take a lot of JAGs and hope they improve, and we take a few longshots and wait and wait and wait for the miracle transformation. It's obvious that Smythe has not been as good as Kittle.. Smythe is a longshot ... but if he has the ability to seize the moment, the situation exists for him to shoot his shot.

And for anyone with an inch of comprehension skills, I put the potential best-case stats for Smythe very modest, at only 450 yds. Doesn't sound like Kittle like stats to me. But maybe skim readers got something different out of it? :roll:
Wow. YOU are the one here advocating for wasting a roster spot on a guy like Smythe to a guy who clearly is out of his element to be asking about rostering him. YOU made direct comparisons of Smythe to Kelce, Andrews, Pitts, and Goedert. YOU were the one who brought Kittle into the Smythe discussion - and if you would have read what was written, which you later accused others of not doing, no one said you compared Smythe to Kittle.

You provided terrible advice to a FFer looking for help and when you got called on it you went on the attack against those who called you on it. Unless this is an extremely deep league that does start 2 TEs, there is no reason to roster a player like Smythe. Even then and it was at least a 24 team one copy start 2 TE league his value would be marginal at best. As previously mentioned, Higgins would be a much better gamble, among other possibilities that you didn’t even bother to ask about, instead championing a player who has literally shown no FF value over 5 years for an owner in any kind of typical FF league.

Everyone makes mistakes about players and there isn’t anyone who hasn’t missed badly if they’ve played FF for any meaningful time. But for Christ’s sake, if your going to give a novice advice at least put some kind of rational and reasonable thought behind it.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri May 19, 2023 12:31 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:49 am
killer_of_giants wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:56 am

didn't you notice who you were replying to?
I didn't compare Smythe to Kittle. I said only that McDaniel's offense does not preclude a TE putting up fantasy relevant stats and used Kittle as exhibit A. I went as far as to say Smythe may not even turn out to be Miami's primary TE. All I was trying to get across was that in a land of almost worthless free agents, if a fantasy manager in a TEP and/or 2TE league has a need for a TE and he has an empty roster spot, Smythe might be as good as a dart throw flyer as anyone else likely to be available.

The odds are promising. The longshot is there. And that's half of what we do in fantasy. We take a few guys we hope are sure shots, we take a lot of JAGs and hope they improve, and we take a few longshots and wait and wait and wait for the miracle transformation. It's obvious that Smythe has not been as good as Kittle.. Smythe is a longshot ... but if he has the ability to seize the moment, the situation exists for him to shoot his shot.

And for anyone with an inch of comprehension skills, I put the potential best-case stats for Smythe very modest, at only 450 yds. Doesn't sound like Kittle like stats to me. But maybe skim readers got something different out of it? :roll:
Wow. YOU are the one here advocating for wasting a roster spot on a guy like Smythe to a guy who clearly is out of his element to be asking about rostering him. YOU made direct comparisons of Smythe to Kelce, Andrews, Pitts, and Goedert. YOU were the one who brought Kittle into the Smythe discussion - and if you would have read what was written, which you later accused others of not doing, no one said you compared Smythe to Kittle.

You provided terrible advice to a FFer looking for help and when you got called on it you went on the attack against those who called you on it. Unless this is an extremely deep league that does start 2 TEs, there is no reason to roster a player like Smythe. Even then and it was at least a 24 team one copy start 2 TE league his value would be marginal at best. As previously mentioned, Higgins would be a much better gamble, among other possibilities that you didn’t even bother to ask about, instead championing a player who has literally shown no FF value over 5 years for an owner in any kind of typical FF league.

Everyone makes mistakes about players and there isn’t anyone who hasn’t missed badly if they’ve played FF for any meaningful time. But for Christ’s sake, if your going to give a novice advice at least put some kind of rational and reasonable thought behind it.
I think most people would argue that Smythe isn't worth rostering, but I believe that would be due to being unfamiliar with him. I always appreciate someone who can put forward a contrarian argument. Some find an argument more persuasive if it's stats based, so pointing to his catch rate and comparing Miami TEs target/reception counts between 2022 and 2021 can be compelling. There are flaws with these, but the catch rate suggests Smythe doesn't have stone hands.

I think it's easy to dismiss Smythe for not having done much, but TEs typically take longer to produce. There are some who believe they only really pan out (or can only truly be considered a flop) based on their 2nd contract. He signed a 1 year extension last year with Miami after setting a career high offensive snap rate in 2021. After nearly matching that in 2022, Miami again resigned him (to a 2 year deal) and let their "starter" walk.

The best way to evaluate Smythe is to actually watch his film rather than cite things like target count and catch rate, but that's harder and some would question the value.

Regarding 2 TE sets in 2022 and 2021, I'd be curious if the new scheme, and specifically trying to introduce their own Juice-Check FB, played into that. Alec Ingold set career highs in games played and offensive snap rate. He set a career low in ST snap rate, and the contract he signed with Miami when McDaniels came to town is rated the 3rd highest among FBs.

In the right kind of leagues , I think Smythe is definitely worth a hold. It sounds like the OP's qualifies.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Fri May 19, 2023 12:51 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:31 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:49 am

I think most people would argue that Smythe isn't worth rostering, but I believe that would be due to being unfamiliar with him. I always appreciate someone who can put forward a contrarian argument. Some find an argument more persuasive if it's stats based, so pointing to his catch rate and comparing Miami TEs target/reception counts between 2022 and 2021 can be compelling. There are flaws with these, but the catch rate suggests Smythe doesn't have stone hands.

I think it's easy to dismiss Smythe for not having done much, but TEs typically take longer to produce. There are some who believe they only really pan out (or can only truly be considered a flop) based on their 2nd contract. He signed a 1 year extension last year with Miami after setting a career high offensive snap rate in 2021. After nearly matching that in 2022, Miami again resigned him (to a 2 year deal) and let their "starter" walk.

The best way to evaluate Smythe is to actually watch his film rather than cite things like target count and catch rate, but that's harder and some would question the value.

Regarding 2 TE sets in 2022 and 2021, I'd be curious if the new scheme, and specifically trying to introduce their own Juice-Check FB, played into that. Alec Ingold set career highs in games played and offensive snap rate. He set a career low in ST snap rate, and the contract he signed with Miami when McDaniels came to town is rated the 3rd highest among FBs.

In the right kind of leagues , I think Smythe is definitely worth a hold. It sounds like the OP's qualifies.
Thanks, man, I appreciate it. Good stuff here.
D3:
QB—Allen RB—Kamara, Jacobs, Zamir, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Jefferson, Tucker TE—Engram, Muth, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK, CORLEY, COWING, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING, MWASHINGTON TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS, Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE, Goff, Cousins, PENIX RB: Bijan, BRob, Zamir, Allgeier, McLaughlin, Hull WR: HARRISON, DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, COWING, Reynolds TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Hurst, WILEY, Trautman, Tremble, Dissly, Reiman

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri May 19, 2023 2:44 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:51 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:31 pmI think most people would argue that Smythe isn't worth rostering, but I believe that would be due to being unfamiliar with him. I always appreciate someone who can put forward a contrarian argument. Some find an argument more persuasive if it's stats based, so pointing to his catch rate and comparing Miami TEs target/reception counts between 2022 and 2021 can be compelling. There are flaws with these, but the catch rate suggests Smythe doesn't have stone hands.

Thanks, man, I appreciate it. Good stuff here.
Good stuff indeed.
Not much to do now but wait and see what happens.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:18 am

Anteaters wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:44 pmNot much to do now but wait and see what happens.
Here's what happened in week 1.
Smythe was targeted 7 times, had 3 receptions for 44 yards, and was open for at least one potential TD. That was a target percentage of 15.5%, which is pretty good in Miami's high-flying offense. I think I read that Smythe was on the field for over 90% of Miami's offensive snaps, but I need to verify that.

Now we wait for week 2 to see how Smythe follows up on that promising beginning.

Wicker, did you end up getting Smythe in the offseason?
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:22 am

Lmao

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:28 am

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:22 amLmao
:?:

In the TEP very deep league for Team 2 in my sig, Smythe was the 10th highest scoring TE for week 1. I can guarantee you that if Smythe was unrostered, at least 10 of the 14 teams would put in a claim for him.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

JoeJoe88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JoeJoe88 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:30 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:18 am
Anteaters wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:44 pmNot much to do now but wait and see what happens.
Smythe was targeted 7 times, had 3 receptions for 44 yards, and was open for at least one potential TD. That was a target percentage of 15.5%, which is pretty good in Miami's high-flying offense. I think I read that Smythe was on the field for over 90% of Miami's offensive snaps, but I need to verify that.

Now we wait for week 2 to see how Smythe follows up on that promising beginning.

Wicker, did YOU end up getting Smythe in the offseason?
Fixed it for you.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:20 am

Anteaters wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:44 pmI think I read that Smythe was on the field for over 90% of Miami's offensive snaps, but I need to verify that.
He was on the field for 100% of the week one snaps.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:56 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:18 am

Wicker, did you end up getting Smythe in the offseason?
I did not. He's only owned in 1/5 leagues I'm in, and that's the TEP league of course.
D3:
QB—Allen RB—Kamara, Jacobs, Zamir, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Jefferson, Tucker TE—Engram, Muth, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK, CORLEY, COWING, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, TJOHNSON, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING, MWASHINGTON TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS, Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE, Goff, Cousins, PENIX RB: Bijan, BRob, Zamir, Allgeier, McLaughlin, Hull WR: HARRISON, DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, COWING, Reynolds TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Hurst, WILEY, Trautman, Tremble, Dissly, Reiman

tyronehill
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby tyronehill » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:44 pm

Crazier things have happened. Dalton Schultz was a "blocking tight end" that ended up becoming a thing. Smythe path to relevancy is similar.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:41 am

Averaging 3 catches for 34 yds each game so far. I’d say that’s pretty much in line with what his expectations should have been. If that’s winning weeks for you then rostering him was a great move.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:56 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:41 am Averaging 3 catches for 34 yds each game so far. I’d say that’s pretty much in line with what his expectations should have been. If that’s winning weeks for you then rostering him was a great move.
Another good week, 97% of the snaps. I think this guy might be a sleeper ready for bigger stats soon.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:52 am

Anyone change their mind yet?
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:02 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:52 am Anyone change their mind yet?
I don't see anything special, but TE is such a wasteland that any TE who's on the field for 97% of the snaps like he has and has good route participation is worth starting.

Call it the "Dalton Schultz" or "Austin Hooper" special.