James Cook

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: James Cook

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:07 pm

I think people are too caught up on the size thing. Plenty of smaller rbs have been great, albeit all highly athletic. Jamaal Charles, ray rice, CJ2k, MJD, just to name a few around 200lbs or under. I don’t think Cook is on that level, but we have also seen guys like Phillip Lindsay produce multiple 1k yard seasons. Cook isn’t as thicc as Kamara but could Cook have Kamara-like usage? I think so. Yes, size does help when teams are choosing between middling talents, but if Cook has actual talent I think his size is a non-issue. The depth chart is barren. Dingleberry stinks. Their WR2 in Gabe Davis and TE1 in Knox are unproven in terms of if they are high target volume players. There is pplllleeennntttyyy of opportunity here for Cook if he has any semblance of talent in a high octane offense. I’m kind of shocked there isn’t more hype given the dynasty communities penchant for slobbering over any rb with a pulse.

Dynos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Dynos » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:14 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:07 pm I think people are too caught up on the size thing. Plenty of smaller rbs have been great, albeit all highly athletic. Jamaal Charles, ray rice, CJ2k, MJD, just to name a few around 200lbs or under. I don’t think Cook is on that level, but we have also seen guys like Phillip Lindsay produce multiple 1k yard seasons. Cook isn’t as thicc as Kamara but could Cook have Kamara-like usage? I think so. The depth chart is barren. Dingleberry stinks. Their WR2 in Gabe Davis and TE1 in Knox are unproven in terms of if they are high target volume players. There is pplllleeennntttyyy of opportunity here for Cook if he has any semblance of talent in a high octane offense. I’m kind of shocked there isn’t more hype given the dynasty communities penchant for slobbering over any rb with a pulse.
i agree with you on the size thing. People are like omg that player is so small he only weight 210(not talking about cook here, i'm just exagerating) And they talk how about a guy 215 is indestructible. Barkley was suppose to be invincible at 230. Turned really well... huuh no. (not saying he can't be good the next few years)
i think cook is really underappreciated and i think he will do better then people think. I don't think he will be a 3 down back, but he has upside in PPR and havent beed used a lot in college.
2019 Champion! 2022 Champion!

Team 1: Superflex, Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 flex WR/TE,1 Sflex

QB:P. Mahomes, R.Tannehill, J.Hurts
RB: E.Elliott,James Robinson, Chris Carson, L.Fournette, T.Etienne , Tony Pollard,hassan haskins,donta foreman, jaylen warren
WR: Justin Jefferson A.J Brown, M.Thomas, Marquise Brown, T.Lockett, skyy moore, romeo doubs, alec pierce Donovan Peoples-Jones, J.Palmer
TE: kyle pitts, juwan johnson,mckitty

2021 Champion!
Team 2: Superflex, Start 1Qb, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex Wr/TE. 1 SFlex, 1 Flex RB/WR/TE
QB: J.Herbert, Z.Wilson, K.Cousins, K.Pickett,K.Mond
RB: J.Taylor, JK Dobbins, N.Harris, N.Hines, G.Edwards, James Cook, J.Ford, Dameon Pierce, P.Strong, D.Foreman (Jermaine Burton Devy)
WR: J.Chase,Garett Wilson , B.Aiyuk, C.Sutton, R.Bateman, G.Davis, M.Hardman,J.Palmer,
TE: D.Waller R.Tonyan, B.Jordan, Cameron Brate, Cade Otton, G.Everett

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:45 pm

I listened to a Beane press conference about a week after the draft and he said basically they don’t view Cook as a starter. Beane said something like…

“We view him[Cook] as a sub back, and maybe he can handle some carries too. But we view him as a guy like McKissic.”

To me, after watching that press conference I came away thinking Cook’s ceiling just may be a 10ppg flex filler in PPR. I want none of him at anywhere near the price he is going for.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:04 pm

I got him at 2.05 in SF (team 2 in signature). I like him as a 2nd rounder, not as a first.
Tm 1
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler, T tracey
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert, T johnson
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Tm 2
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 TE), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Murray, Watson, Maye, McCarthy, R Wilson, howell
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus, Moss, Zeke,
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts, t Johnson, bell
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Tm 3
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2 TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Stafford, heinekie, flacco, browning
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Charb, Z White, R white, McLaughlin, wilson
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, watson
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Tm 4
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Tm 5
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Tm 6
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:42 pm

I recently took him at 1.10 in a league I am stacked at most positions with no regrets. I had Dotson rated a bit higher at WR but was so stacked and couldn't move out of the pick so took him.

Reminds me of Pollard with a bit more upside. He needs to add a bit of strength but in today's spread offenses he has the speed and acceleration to take it to the house at any given moment.

Don't see him as a stud but has the upside to gain 1100 or so yards and 50 receptions which makes him a solid flex play and maybe more at some point. I think he is a high floor player.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:43 pm

I am out on James Cook, he is RB6 on my rookie draft board, which obviously means that I will have no shares of him, and I am fine with that.
For me, Nyheim Hines and JD McKissic is his ceiling.

Decent PPR back, but certainly not 1st round draft capital. I would take a flier on him in the late 2nd round, but I doubt that he will be there, which is fine with me.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:56 pm

dondickenson wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:45 pm I listened to a Beane press conference about a week after the draft and he said basically they don’t view Cook as a starter. Beane said something like…

“We view him[Cook] as a sub back, and maybe he can handle some carries too. But we view him as a guy like McKissic.”

To me, after watching that press conference I came away thinking Cook’s ceiling just may be a 10ppg flex filler in PPR. I want none of him at anywhere near the price he is going for.
You’re right. The 5’7” 203 lb rb that runs a 4.66 is much better suited for every down work.

Come on guys I know next to nothing about Cook but this is the situation everyone should be going Gaga over. You’re gonna let a tiny 4.66 turd and some offseason coach speak get in the way of an athletic 2nd round pass catching rb on a high octane offense with ample opportunity? Just doesn’t make any sense.

What the hell happened to the “bUt He CaTcHeS pAsSeS” crowd? Where the heck are you guys? Lol

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:09 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:56 pm
dondickenson wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:45 pm I listened to a Beane press conference about a week after the draft and he said basically they don’t view Cook as a starter. Beane said something like…

You’re right. The 5’7” 203 lb rb that runs a 4.66 is much better suited for every down work.

Come on guys I know next to nothing about Cook but this is the situation everyone should be going Gaga over. You’re gonna let a tiny 4.66 turd and some offseason coach speak get in the way of an athletic 2nd round pass catching rb on a high octane offense with ample opportunity? Just doesn’t make any sense.

What the hell happened to the “bUt He CaTcHeS pAsSeS” crowd? Where the heck are you guys? Lol

So you are saying that the 5'11" 190 pound RB is better suited for every down work?
OK, gotcha.

What I don't understand is that the Bills talk about having Josh Allen run the ball less, and they don't want Allen running around the goal line, yet they refuse to draft a legitimate NFL sized RB. Are 215-225 pound RB's really that hard to find?

Bills now have 6 RB's on their roster, and Duke Johnson at 210 pounds is the big bruiser.
Moss is 205, Singletary is 203, then they have Jones at 195, and Cook and Blackshear at 190 pounds.

Why don't the Bills just draft a legitimate NFL RB?
Maybe, they really don't mean it when they say they want Josh Allen to run less.
Allen is definitely the only goal line and short yardage back they have.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:50 pm

MacDaddy123 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:09 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:56 pm

So you are saying that the 5'11" 190 pound RB is better suited for every down work?
OK, gotcha.

What I don't understand is that the Bills talk about having Josh Allen run the ball less, and they don't want Allen running around the goal line, yet they refuse to draft a legitimate NFL sized RB. Are 215-225 pound RB's really that hard to find?

Bills now have 6 RB's on their roster, and Duke Johnson at 210 pounds is the big bruiser.
Moss is 205, Singletary is 203, then they have Jones at 195, and Cook and Blackshear at 190 pounds.

Why don't the Bills just draft a legitimate NFL RB?
Maybe, they really don't mean it when they say they want Josh Allen to run less.
Allen is definitely the only goal line and short yardage back they have.
199* for Cook at the combine.
Still a very low BMI, but hey I just like numbers to be accurate. I'm with you on the bills rb drafting. They like turds.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:40 pm

Cook has twigs for legs. Anybody thinking he's a high touch RB is delusional IMO. He's going to have to catch a lot of passes, because he's not going to get goal line work. He will need to score TD's in other ways. I think he will catch passes, but I'm skeptical Allen will suddenly change to a check down guy when the play breaks down, it's just not his nature. Cook being a high end RB2 is what people should hope for. Anything more is just expecting too much IMO.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:06 pm

The folks commenting on size haven’t mentioned BMI. Cook’s BMI of 27 puts him in a category that next to zero Fantasy relevant RB before him have had. Shorter guys like Rice, Gore, A.Jones, even CEH are much better suited. Besides that, Cook at Georgia never had more than 7 carries in a single game. Admittedly, The ppr value is there similar to a James White. The volume, red zone use, simply will likely never be there for Cook. I struggle to justify using any rookie pick earlier than a 3rd for a rb with Cook’s profile. The brother of Dalvin thing was for sure going to influence some. Aka; The Riley Ridley effect.

Draft capital aside, Cook wasn’t / isn’t a top 3 rb for fantasy purposes in this class.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:01 pm

I once used 1.08 on Kendall Hunter. This feels similar.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:53 pm

His route to playing time seems to be fairly easy. Singletary is a FA after this season and they don't like Moss. It's whether or not he can capitalize on it and actually endure the load.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:30 pm

JFever wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:06 pm The folks commenting on size haven’t mentioned BMI. Cook’s BMI of 27 puts him in a category that next to zero Fantasy relevant RB before him have had. Shorter guys like Rice, Gore, A.Jones, even CEH are much better suited. Besides that, Cook at Georgia never had more than 7 carries in a single game. Admittedly, The ppr value is there similar to a James White. The volume, red zone use, simply will likely never be there for Cook. I struggle to justify using any rookie pick earlier than a 3rd for a rb with Cook’s profile. The brother of Dalvin thing was for sure going to influence some. Aka; The Riley Ridley effect.

Draft capital aside, Cook wasn’t / isn’t a top 3 rb for fantasy purposes in this class.
Chris Johnson 27.2
CJ Spiller 27.3
Darren McFadden 27.7
Kenyan Drake 27.7
Jamaal Charles 27.8
James Cook 27.8
DeMarco Murray 28.1
Christian McCaffrey 28.2
Reggie Bush 28.3
Fred Jackson 28.4
Melvin Gordon 28.4
Adrian Peterson 28.6
Matt Forte 28.8

I wouldn't say next to zero, some of the greatest RB's of years past had a lower BMI. It is rare, yes. I just don't believe it's due to BMI in and of itself. If Cook has talent, BMI is not going to make him a bust is all i'm saying. Now whether Cook has talent or not is yet to be seen.

Rondalebaby
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rondalebaby » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:03 pm

There is literally no chance a sub 200 pound rb whose had over 8 carries 6 times in 46 college games is going to step into an early down role, regardless of who is currently occupying.

Beane did everyone a solid and told you you’re drafting Mckissic before you had to waste a first to find out yourself lol