Should there be Divisions in Dynasty Football?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Spinkso
Captain
Captain

Re: Divisions Setup

Postby Spinkso » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:26 pm

TheOracle wrote: If you're married to the idea of divisions, one variant I've always wanted to try is we're every year you let the champion and runner up have a draft where they pick the divisions for the next year. Works better for a friends league than with random people online, though.
That's what my local going into it's 15th year does. Speaking of the randomness, this year I had a winning record and missed the playoffs. Had I been in the other division, I would have had a playoff spot locked up with a few weeks left in the season.

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:26 pm

I like divisions, they can add character to a league.

With 3 divisions of 4 teams, a little of the randomness can be removed with the inclusion of a playoff wildcard team. The wildcard team could be the highest (non division winner) team.

Having the champion & runner up select the following year's split is interesting. That could be a fun twist to introduce.

ArtVandelay
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ArtVandelay » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:18 am

I'm in a league with 3 divisions where the division winners get the top 3 seeds in the playoffs and their are 3 wild card teams (based on all-play record). This looks like it might be the best way to do it. i like the idea of the winners picking the divisions though.

klyepod
Role Player
Role Player

Postby klyepod » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:49 pm

16 teams, 4 divisions of 4 teams

The teams in the division remain the same every year. Love it. We just completed our 2nd year and there are already some full-blown rivalries. My division is the toughest (most active owners) but thats cool, we duke it out and compete for the division title. Divisional games are HUGE. We play each team in the division twice, and then 10 of the 12 other teams (rotates and based on records from previous season)

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:23 pm

klyepod wrote:16 teams, 4 divisions of 4 teams

The teams in the division remain the same every year. Love it. We just completed our 2nd year and there are already some full-blown rivalries. My division is the toughest (most active owners) but thats cool, we duke it out and compete for the division title. Divisional games are HUGE. We play each team in the division twice, and then 10 of the 12 other teams (rotates and based on records from previous season)
Same thing here. Also have the divisions split into conferences, so the conference winners play in the title game. We don't change divisions because of the rotating schedule from year to year. Love the rivalries.

-oo-

ArtVandelay
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ArtVandelay » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:24 am

klyepod wrote:16 teams, 4 divisions of 4 teams

What about the schedule? Is it completely random, or do you play your division teams twice and all other teams once...? I guess if the divisions stay the same every year, the schedule would have to be random, right? This is the first year my league is breaking into divisions...

klyepod
Role Player
Role Player

Postby klyepod » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:37 pm

So for your 12 team league, if you have 3 divisions of 4 teams and assuming playoffs are weeks 14,15,16 I would recommend:

-6 divisional games
-7 games against the other 8 teams on a rotating basis. Maybe the best team doesnt play the worst team (in another division), the 2nd best team doesnt play the 2nd worst team (in another division) etc...

My league has 3 double header weeks which gives us 16 games played and makes scheduling easier.

ArtVandelay
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ArtVandelay » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:13 am

klyepod wrote:So for your 12 team league, if you have 3 divisions of 4 teams and assuming playoffs are weeks 14,15,16 I would recommend:

-6 divisional games
-7 games against the other 8 teams on a rotating basis. Maybe the best team doesnt play the worst team (in another division), the 2nd best team doesnt play the 2nd worst team (in another division) etc...

My league has 3 double header weeks which gives us 16 games played and makes scheduling easier.
The way I have it set up now is 6 divisional games and 8 non-divisional games. You play your division teams twice and the other 8 teams once. This requires 1 double header week.

splendorlex
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Does your league use conferences, divisions or both?

Postby splendorlex » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:08 am

And if so, do they have a significant bearing on the playoffs? I ask this due to some thoughts I had about league formats and whether or not we'd be better off eliminating the idea of conferences and divisions for most leagues. One complaint in "real" pro sports is often around "lesser" teams making the playoffs due to winning a weak division. (One good football example is the Panthers of last year, who made the playoffs with a record of 7-8-1 by virtue of winning a horrible NFC South.)

So I guess my question boils down to this, in fantasy would you rather have all 4-6 "best" teams make the playoffs?
My DLF Articles
Twitter: @RyanCFinley
DLF Premium League
Team IrishDoom
Kitchen Sink 4
First Pick of Destiny
Maddog Football League (Keeper)
F Bombs

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Does your league use conferences, divisions or both?

Postby guyatwork37 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:23 am

Don't be mad because I'm in 1st in the NFC North :D

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:24 am

In my 12 teamer, we use 3 divisions. Three division champs make the playoffs, next two best records make the playoffs, sixth seed goes to highest remaining points-for. Best two division winners get a bye.

A weak team that wins it's divsion can make the playoffs at times, but overall everyone is pretty happy with this format. We added the sixth seed points-for rule a few years ago to get one more good team and one less bad team into the playoffs as inevitably a team or two with a relatively low points-for ends up with a great record.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:25 am

dlf_ryanf wrote:And if so, do they have a significant bearing on the playoffs? I ask this due to some thoughts I had about league formats and whether or not we'd be better off eliminating the idea of conferences and divisions for most leagues. One complaint in "real" pro sports is often around "lesser" teams making the playoffs due to winning a weak division. (One good football example is the Panthers of last year, who made the playoffs with a record of 7-8-1 by virtue of winning a horrible NFC South.)

So I guess my question boils down to this, in fantasy would you rather have all 4-6 "best" teams make the playoffs?
I like divisions/conferences for building rivalries.
I am more a fan in fantasy of double headers all 13 weeks or a VP system that makes sure the best teams are the best teams not the teams with the best records
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:35 am

I'm also a fan of conferences, especially in dynasty league play. This is a game I play for fun. Money is always involved, but that's not why I play. Conferences and divisions make it more entertaining. And if it happens that a mediocre team sneaks into the playoffs, that just helps fuel the conversations!

Fezzik
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Fezzik » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:04 am

I hate divisions/conferences. That could be because I'm in a league and division (3 divisions of four teams) with the top 2 point scorers though.

ayrichieb
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ayrichieb » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:09 am

Pac_Eddy wrote:In my 12 teamer, we use 3 divisions. Three division champs make the playoffs, next two best records make the playoffs, sixth seed goes to highest remaining points-for. Best two division winners get a bye.

A weak team that wins it's divsion can make the playoffs at times, but overall everyone is pretty happy with this format. We added the sixth seed points-for rule a few years ago to get one more good team and one less bad team into the playoffs as inevitably a team or two with a relatively low points-for ends up with a great record.

this
2014 est. 12 team (22 Keepers), 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (.5 PPR)
Chicks Digg Scars: (1-2), 2020-4th, 2019-2nd, 2018-7th, 2017-4th, 2016-6th, 2015-5th, 2014-2nd
QB- D.Prescott, M.Stafford, T.Lance
RB- N.Chubb, J.Mixon, K.Hunt, A.Gibson, D.Harris, T.Sermon, M.Davis, T.Williams
WR- AJ.Brown, S.Diggs, C.Ridley, C.Godwin, O.Beckham, A.Robinson, J.Reagor, C.Claypool, R.Bateman
TE- M.Andrews, L.Thomas
2022 Draft Picks- 1, 3, 4, 4, 5

2021 est. 10 team (22 Keepers), 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex (.5 PPR)
Satan's Alley
QB- D.Watson, T.Lawrence
RB- C.Edwards-Helaire, J.Jacobs, M.Carter, T.Pollard, T.Sermon, D.Williams
WR- AJ.Brown, D.Adams, M.Thomas, B.Aiyuk, C.Sutton, T.Marshall, R.Moore, M.Callaway, C.Beasley
TE- T.Hockenson, R.Tonyan
2022 Draft Picks- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5