How many QBs go in the first round?

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: How many QBs go in the first round?

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:18 pm

Should just be Lawrence, Fields, Wilson and Lance. Maybe an outside shot of Mac Jones or Kyle Trask.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:24 am

There are as many as 7 teams in the back half if Rd 1 who won’t have an opportunity at the top 4 guys and would be looking for QB help in the next 2 years, either as an immediate starter or have a short term bridge QB in place right now. At least one of those teams is likely to pull the trigger knowing they won’t have a chance in Rd 2 to do so and will have a decent or better shot at being in the back half of Rd 1 next year when the need becomes more urgent.

It wouldn’t shock me if Jones and Trask both go in Rd 1 along with the top 4. The environment is there this year.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:40 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:24 am There are as many as 7 teams in the back half if Rd 1 who won’t have an opportunity at the top 4 guys and would be looking for QB help in the next 2 years, either as an immediate starter or have a short term bridge QB in place right now. At least one of those teams is likely to pull the trigger knowing they won’t have a chance in Rd 2 to do so and will have a decent or better shot at being in the back half of Rd 1 next year when the need becomes more urgent.

It wouldn’t shock me if Jones and Trask both go in Rd 1 along with the top 4. The environment is there this year.
I wouldn't be surprised either if there is 4 or 6 in the 1st. Round 1 also gives them the 5th year option.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:53 pm

joeday wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:44 pm
murphysxm wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:42 pm In a vacuum I think every QB that an NFL team uses 1st round draft capital on, is a SF 1st rounder. I agree it wil be 5
Moment of silence who spent a first round pick on Jordan Love lol
meh, so far things are playing out just like they did for the rodgers/favre saga. If you are patient and have a deep roster love could still be viable
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:13 pm

MrUbuto wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:53 pm
murphysxm wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:42 pm In a vacuum I think every QB that an NFL team uses 1st round draft capital on, is a SF 1st rounder. I agree it wil be 5

meh, so far things are playing out just like they did for the rodgers/favre saga. If you are patient and have a deep roster love could still be viable
These comparisons are completely off base and quite honestly lazy. How many times has such a thing occurred in the NFL? How many were drafted behind Brady and how many panned out? Jimmy is the closest thing to panning out and is it because of him or Shanahan? All the QBs look relevant there.

It’s lazy because the ONLY reason anyone is saying this is because it’s the Packers. Some stark differences between the two:

SF chose between Smith and Rodgers for the #1 overall pick.
Rodgers was not considered a project coming out.
Rodgers was active on game days.
Rodgers was Farve’s backup.
There were not reports of Rodgers looking horrific in camp and practice.

Edit: As a Packers fan, that draft was horrendous. It was universally regarded as the worst in the league. This was confirmed by AJ Dillon being the only one to play a snap in the playoffs. Is that the kind of draft acumen you want to rely upon to herald the next Rodgers?

SteelLake
Starter
Starter

Postby SteelLake » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:42 am

Not sure if others have noticed, but Jones has flown up everyone’s draft. He now appears very safely a first rounder / likely in the top half of it.

So, up to at least 5. I wouldn’t be surprised if some desperate team falls in love with a QB and makes it 6.
Drew Christopher Brees Football Squad
Dynasty League (10 team)
2013-Present (11 years)
2017, 2022 Champion
8 playoff appearances
Record: 95-61

Keenan Alexander Allen Football Squad
Contract League (12 teams)
2015-Present (8 years)
2022, 2023 Champion
8 Playoff appearances
Record: 84-42

Dar's Outcasts
Redraft league (8-10 teams)
2020- Present (4 years)
2023 Champion
4 Playoff appearances
Record: 41-16

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:18 am

Lumps wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:13 pm

These comparisons are completely off base and quite honestly lazy. How many times has such a thing occurred in the NFL? How many were drafted behind Brady and how many panned out? Jimmy is the closest thing to panning out and is it because of him or Shanahan? All the QBs look relevant there.

It’s lazy because the ONLY reason anyone is saying this is because it’s the Packers. Some stark differences between the two:

Wow, what a selective memory. Rodgers was thought of so highly in the league in 2005 that he plummeted in the draft until GB saved the painful green room camera shots after each successive selection with pick 24 - and quite a few people were shocked by that.

Rodgers was all of 15 for 31 for 111 yards and 0 TDs/1 INT his first 2 seasons combined. That is despite GB being terrible in 2005 where they could have saved Favre some misery and let Rodgers play some in the last couple of weeks. GB was actually active in trying to acquire Drew Brees in 2006 because it was obvious they were in full scale rebuild and Favre was so unhappy that he threatened to retire. Not much mention of Rodgers taking over at that time - he had a reputation of being erratic on his throws as well as having a reputation for getting injured easily.
At Rodgers’ first minicamp in June 2005, quarterbacks coach Darrell Bevell told the Journal Sentinel the rookie “performed erratically” and was “overwhelmed by an onslaught of new information.” The rookie regularly under threw receivers, struggled against the blitz and abandoned deep passes in his first preseason.
The Love selection very much parallels Rodgers’ selection as the 24th pick in the 2005 draft, much more than your revision of history, and is far from lazy.

Yeah, I’m a lifelong Packer Backer also and remember that pretty well.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:22 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:18 am

Wow, what a selective memory. Rodgers was thought of so highly in the league in 2005 that he plummeted in the draft until GB saved the painful green room camera shots after each successive selection with pick 24 - and quite a few people were shocked by that.

Rodgers was all of 15 for 31 for 111 yards and 0 TDs/1 INT his first 2 seasons combined. That is despite GB being terrible in 2005 where they could have saved Favre some misery and let Rodgers play some in the last couple of weeks. GB was actually active in trying to acquire Drew Brees in 2006 because it was obvious they were in full scale rebuild and Favre was so unhappy that he threatened to retire. Not much mention of Rodgers taking over at that time - he had a reputation of being erratic on his throws as well as having a reputation for getting injured easily.
At Rodgers’ first minicamp in June 2005, quarterbacks coach Darrell Bevell told the Journal Sentinel the rookie “performed erratically” and was “overwhelmed by an onslaught of new information.” The rookie regularly under threw receivers, struggled against the blitz and abandoned deep passes in his first preseason.
The Love selection very much parallels Rodgers’ selection as the 24th pick in the 2005 draft, much more than your revision of history, and is far from lazy.

Is this a joke? Rodgers was “too short.”

And you’re comparing a quote on his FIRST DAY OF MINI CAMP to an entire season of practice? To not even being active? Not playing a snap? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Again, Rodgers was in play for the #1. If someone took Love at #1 the management would be fired on the spot.

Also, let’s not forget this was an entirely different day and age in the NFL. In 2005 3 RBs were taken in the top 5. The 2nd QB came off the board at 24. Love was the 4th QB off the board in a QB league with a GM that had a single drafted player taking snaps in the playoffs. That’s not a hill I’m gonna die on.

Edit: To get back on topic here, I too think Jones goes higher than we believe. It’s a QB league and even ones with lots of questions get taken in the 1st. Ahem.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:44 am

The biggest difference between Rodgers and Love on draft day.

1) Rodgers was in the conversation as #1 overall pick and many were stunned he fell that far in the 1st round.

2) Love was considered a project upside player in the round 2-3 range and many were stunned he was selected so early.

Rodgers falling was not as surprising as Marino's fall to 27th way back in the day. What was surprising was the Packers selection of Love in such a strong draft when they didn't need a QB. It Happens.

On Jones, I wrote in some thread it wouldn't surprise me a bit if goes 3rd QB overall in this draft.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:55 am

Lumps wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:22 am

And you’re comparing a quote on his FIRST DAY OF MINI CAMP to an entire season of practice? To not even being active? Not playing a snap? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Again, Rodgers was in play for the #1. If someone took Love at #1 the management would be fired on the spot.

Also, let’s not forget this was an entirely different day and age in the NFL. In 2005 3 RBs were taken in the top 5. The 2nd QB came off the board at 24. Love was the 4th QB off the board in a QB league with a GM that had a single drafted player taking snaps in the playoffs. That’s not a hill I’m gonna die on.

Edit: To get back on topic here, I too think Jones goes higher than we believe. It’s a QB league and even ones with lots of questions get taken in the 1st. Ahem.
You read the entire quote right? About Rodgers’ play in tge 2005 preseason? Or was that selective on your part too? And where in the 7 Hells does “too short” have to do with anything? If Rodgers was in serious consideration for the 1st pick in the draft, how did 22 other teams bypass him in Rd1 before GB ended his torture? That’s 2/3rds of the NFL bypassing him when according to you he was about as likely to go with the 1st pick in the draft as Smith.

Enough from me on this. There’s obviously no convincing you otherwise despite all the contrary evidence. I just noticed how dismissive you were to the other poster despite being having a faulty memory.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:17 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:55 am
Lumps wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:22 am

You read the entire quote right? About Rodgers’ play in tge 2005 preseason? Or was that selective on your part too? And where in the 7 Hells does “too short” have to do with anything? If Rodgers was in serious consideration for the 1st pick in the draft, how did 22 other teams bypass him in Rd1 before GB ended his torture? That’s 2/3rds of the NFL bypassing him when according to you he was about as likely to go with the 1st pick in the draft as Smith.

Enough from me on this. There’s obviously no convincing you otherwise despite all the contrary evidence. I just noticed how dismissive you were to the other poster despite being having a faulty memory.
Because piecemeal snaps and stats as the backup filling in at the end of the game doesn’t really say anything.
And I answered you on the draft. Teams didn’t like him because he was too short. He is still pissy to this day about his height. I also answered you about the day and age it was. That 3!!! RBs went inside the top 5. It was a different time. But I guess you missed that. Rodgers was the 2nd QB taken and in fact had been in play for the #1. This isn’t disputed so I’m not sure why you are bothering. When he fell everyone was shocked. Duh. Love was the 4th in a QB league. And universally shat on about the selection for a myriad of reasons, but including him himself.

So I’ll reply to your single quote about the 2005 minicamp of Rodgers with this:

“Green Bay Packers rookie quarterback Jordan Love has meandered through 10 mostly unspectacular practices to start his first NFL training camp.

Several Packers beat reporters, including Matt Schneidman of The Athletic and Rob Demovsky of ESPN, recently noted some of the rookie’s early struggles.

Schneidman put Love in the “falling” category of his training camp stock report, noting “Love has yet to even provide a glimpse at why the Packers traded up to draft him in the first round” while describing early accuracy issues for the young quarterback.

Demovsky wrote Love is going through a “slow-moving transition to the NFL” and “hasn’t challenged Tim Boyle for the backup job,” while stating his natural arm talent hasn’t shown up right away like Aaron Rodgers’ once did in 2005.“

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:01 am

Rodgers was 100% in play for the #1 selection. To not acknowledge that known FACT, makes anything else you say noise.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:13 pm

murphysxm wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:01 am
Rodgers was 100% in play for the #1 selection. To not acknowledge that known FACT, makes anything else you say noise.
So the year before and the year after Rodgers was drsfted, 3 QBs went in the top 11 picks, but 22 teams were so set at QB in 2005 that despite being picks 2-23 that they let a legitimate 1.01 QB slide?

Okay.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:26 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:13 pm
So the year before and the year after Rodgers was drsfted, 3 QBs went in the top 11 picks, but 22 teams were so set at QB in 2005 that despite being picks 2-23 that they let a legitimate 1.01 QB slide?

Okay.
He was widely speculated to either go 1.01 to SF or fall in the draft.

The reason so many teams let him fall? They were "set at QB" and could pass on a good yet unspectacular prospect. The fact that he was in contention for the 1.01 out of CAL is more of an indictment on the league's evaluation of the QB class that year than it is a talking point for how teams viewed Rodgers as a talent.

Rodgers is now Goated, but he had unorthodox mechanics at CAL and was widely regarded as a project QB that would need time to develop in the NFL. Remember that GB also drafted Brian Brohm in the 2nd round the year that Favre "retired" because they weren't sold on Rodgers as their starter despite seeing him in practice for years.

This should be a reminder that no one knows bleep about how QBs are going to do once they get in the games :lol:

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:45 pm

Sriracha wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:26 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:13 pm

Okay.
He was widely speculated to either go 1.01 to SF or fall in the draft.

The reason so many teams let him fall? They were "set at QB" and could pass on a good yet unspectacular prospect. The fact that he was in contention for the 1.01 out of CAL is more of an indictment on the league's evaluation of the QB class that year than it is a talking point for how teams viewed Rodgers as a talent.

Rodgers is now Goated, but he had unorthodox mechanics at CAL and was widely regarded as a project QB that would need time to develop in the NFL. Remember that GB also drafted Brian Brohm in the 2nd round the year that Favre "retired" because they weren't sold on Rodgers as their starter despite seeing him in practice for years.

This should be a reminder that no one knows bleep about how QBs are going to do once they get in the games :lol:
What you said is fair. Rodgers was seen as more of a project for sure. We have seen how JUCO has stigmatized prospects right or wrong. I, nor others, predicted Rodgers would be Rodgers. It was unfathomable that could be the case following Favre.

I totally forgot about Brohm. But I think I disagree on the notion that they weren’t sold on Rodgers. They had already committed to him by this point. Insurance? Sure. But likely value play as Brohm almost fell to the 3rd. This article from back then reminded me of what went down.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/417 ... p-benefits