Higgins for Akers?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Higgins for Akers?

Postby Yarnith » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:47 am

You have Boyd and Higgins so yes totally trade Higgins for Akers. We can debate value but literally you turn a wasted roster spot into a starting RB. The Burrow argument doesn't work while sitting on Boyd too. Sell either get Akers net win for you.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

dvpkwys
Captain
Captain

Postby dvpkwys » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:34 am

Yarnith wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:47 am You have Boyd and Higgins so yes totally trade Higgins for Akers. We can debate value but literally you turn a wasted roster spot into a starting RB. The Burrow argument doesn't work while sitting on Boyd too. Sell either get Akers net win for you.
Not sure Higgins is a wasted roster spot...
10 Team - NON PPR (5 Round Rookie Draft) - Start 2QB, 2RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 4DB, 4LB/DL/DB

Burrow/Howell (Murray, Geno)
Taylor/Swift (Sanders, Conner, Gibson, Miller, Spears Lenny)
Adams/Godwin/Higgins/McLaurin (DJ Moore, Hopkins, Tillman)
Kelce (Hockenson)
Budda/Holland/Blackmon/Minkah (Sydney Brown)
Bosa/Bernard/Okereke/EJones (Elliss)

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:40 am

dvpkwys wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:34 am
Yarnith wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:47 am You have Boyd and Higgins so yes totally trade Higgins for Akers. We can debate value but literally you turn a wasted roster spot into a starting RB. The Burrow argument doesn't work while sitting on Boyd too. Sell either get Akers net win for you.
I'm guessing here...but I think he meant "would you really ever start both Higgins and Boyd in a given week given they are on the same team?" Apologies if my guess is way off.
It's a legit question, and spreading across multiple good offenses is a good idea. But of the WR duos in the NFL that I WOULD want to start every week, these guys would be pretty high when Burrow is healthy.
As to the OP...this is a tough one. Good RBs are scarce but FOUR WRs is a lot to start.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: 1.06, 2.06, 4.06, 5.06, 6.06, 7.06, 8.06

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:51 pm

Not a player rating its roster management. You never want to start Boyd and Higgins regularly so you should pick one and get a player you will start at the same time. Akers is a great cash in for you.
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,

WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine

Mtt33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Mtt33 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:07 pm

Yarnith wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:51 pm
Not a player rating its roster management. You never want to start Boyd and Higgins regularly so you should pick one and get a player you will start at the same time. Akers is a great cash in for you.
Why wouldn’t you ever want to start 2 wr from 1 team? In dfs where you’re trying to hit max potential the negative correlation would generally = not wanting to play both but in head to head fantasy there also a negative floor correlation (unlikely both fall flat the same week in a ppr) so if you have 2 very good WRs I don’t see an issue starting both. Sure if the team doesn’t move the ball it could lead to lower lows (also higher highs on team boom weeks) but I wouldn’t go forcing trades to spread my players out.

For the record I WOULD make the trade in genera just not for that particular reason.

crip7300
Starter
Starter

Postby crip7300 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:22 pm

Get Akers for either of those deals, it's super cheap for a young bell cow RB, especially in non ppr. In my non ppr leagues ppl would expect Higgins and the 1.12 for a RB like Akers.
Team 1
12 team Non PPR
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 3Flex
QB Goff Geno Pickett
RB Bijan CMC Chubb JWill Kendre
WR Pittman Diontae Mooney Juju Hyatt Nico
TE Waller Schultz

Team 2
12 team SF PPR RB 0.5, WR 1, TE 1.5
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 3Flex
QB Herbert Hurts Darnold Mac Love
RB Saquon Chubb Mixon Dillon
WR Kupp Amari Ridley Juju Cooks Diontae
TE Kittle Hock

Team 3
12 Team Non PPR
QB 2RB 2WR TE 3Flex 1SF
QB Herbert Love Ridder Lance
RB CBrown Chandler
WR Olave CWatson EMoore Nico
TE Pitts

Team 4
12 Team PPR
QB 2RB 2WR TE 3Flex
QB Herbert
RB JT CMC Breece Mixon Henry
WR AJB Metcalf Kupp Diontae Juju EMoore
TE Kittle Pat

Team 5
Bestball 12 Team
SF PPR RB 0.5, WR 1, TE 1.5
1QB 2RB 2WR TE 4Flex 1SF
QB Allen Pickett Carr Baker
RB CMC Saquon Swift

WR AJB Deebo Ridley Sutton
TE Kittle Fant

Team 6
Bestball 12 Team
PPR RB 0.5, WR 1, TE 1.5
QB RB WR TE 7Flex 1SF
QB Watson Herbert TLaw
RB Saquan JT Mixon ETN
WR Chase DK DJM Juju
TE Pitts Kittle

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:23 pm

Mtt33 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:07 pm Why wouldn’t you ever want to start 2 wr from 1 team? In dfs where you’re trying to hit max potential the negative correlation would generally = not wanting to play both but in head to head fantasy there also a negative floor correlation (unlikely both fall flat the same week in a ppr) so if you have 2 very good WRs I don’t see an issue starting both. Sure if the team doesn’t move the ball it could lead to lower lows (also higher highs on team boom weeks) but I wouldn’t go forcing trades to spread my players out.

For the record I WOULD make the trade in genera just not for that particular reason.
Because Fantasy success is managing risk. Starting a pair of WR's on the same team means if that team has a bad day you throw your game. Splitting to the primary WR on 2 separate teams spreads that risk making your weekly H2H avg score more consistent, which should increase your wins and ultimately wins the championship. All players/teams have down weeks or even years no reason to guarantee when they do your fantasy team does too.

dvpkwys
Captain
Captain

Postby dvpkwys » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:25 pm

Paul717 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:40 am
I'm guessing here...but I think he meant "would you really ever start both Higgins and Boyd in a given week given they are on the same team?" Apologies if my guess is way off.
It's a legit question, and spreading across multiple good offenses is a good idea. But of the WR duos in the NFL that I WOULD want to start every week, these guys would be pretty high when Burrow is healthy.
As to the OP...this is a tough one. Good RBs are scarce but FOUR WRs is a lot to start.
Fair point - I feel I have good WR depth if one is moved, and starting 4 (Adams, Godwin, Allen, Terry, DJM, Boyd/Higgins, David, Gallup), but poor RB depth. I think rolling out 4 of those WR's and Cook, Taylor and Akers would be pretty good. I guess the next question is am I sold 100% on Akers?
10 Team - NON PPR (5 Round Rookie Draft) - Start 2QB, 2RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 4DB, 4LB/DL/DB

Burrow/Howell (Murray, Geno)
Taylor/Swift (Sanders, Conner, Gibson, Miller, Spears Lenny)
Adams/Godwin/Higgins/McLaurin (DJ Moore, Hopkins, Tillman)
Kelce (Hockenson)
Budda/Holland/Blackmon/Minkah (Sydney Brown)
Bosa/Bernard/Okereke/EJones (Elliss)

Mtt33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Mtt33 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 pm

Yarnith wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:23 pm
Mtt33 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:07 pm Why wouldn’t you ever want to start 2 wr from 1 team? In dfs where you’re trying to hit max potential the negative correlation would generally = not wanting to play both but in head to head fantasy there also a negative floor correlation (unlikely both fall flat the same week in a ppr) so if you have 2 very good WRs I don’t see an issue starting both. Sure if the team doesn’t move the ball it could lead to lower lows (also higher highs on team boom weeks) but I wouldn’t go forcing trades to spread my players out.

Because Fantasy success is managing risk. Starting a pair of WR's on the same team means if that team has a bad day you throw your game. Splitting to the primary WR on 2 separate teams spreads that risk making your weekly H2H avg score more consistent, which should increase your wins and ultimately wins the championship. All players/teams have down weeks or even years no reason to guarantee when they do your fantasy team does too.
The counter to this is when one has a bad week the other is actually less likely to have a bad week and vica versa. You could be managing risk by starting both, WRs typically have a negative correlation. If you want to manage the risk you’re referring to you don’t want to start a qb and wr on the same team, because they have more positive correlation.

I’m fine spreading assets around teams but I certainly wouldn’t force trades because of it if you like both those WRs.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:07 pm

Mtt33 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 pm
Yarnith wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:23 pm Because Fantasy success is managing risk. Starting a pair of WR's on the same team means if that team has a bad day you throw your game. Splitting to the primary WR on 2 separate teams spreads that risk making your weekly H2H avg score more consistent, which should increase your wins and ultimately wins the championship. All players/teams have down weeks or even years no reason to guarantee when they do your fantasy team does too.
The counter to this is when one has a bad week the other is actually less likely to have a bad week and vica versa. You could be managing risk by starting both, WRs typically have a negative correlation. If you want to manage the risk you’re referring to you don’t want to start a qb and wr on the same team, because they have more positive correlation.

I’m fine spreading assets around teams but I certainly wouldn’t force trades because of it if you like both those WRs.
So your saying youd rather guarantee one poor performance to guarantee 1 good one rather than having a high chance of 2 good ones? Honestly it doesn't track. Better to have a pair of WR1's on 2 teams than the WR1 and 2 on the same. It's just true.

So he has Burrow, Boyd and Higgins. Akers and Higgins in most opinions I see including my own are pretty close to a push. Knowing his roster says again it is an easy choice to move the player. You speak of forcing a trade like he is trading Higgins for Duke Johnson. Easy slam dunk trade.

Mtt33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Mtt33 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:53 pm

Yarnith wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:07 pm
Mtt33 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 pm
Yarnith wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:23 pm Because Fantasy success is managing risk. Starting a pair of WR's on the same team means if that team has a bad day you throw your game. Splitting to the primary WR on 2 separate teams spreads that risk making your weekly H2H avg score more consistent, which should increase your wins and ultimately wins the championship. All players/teams have down weeks or even years no reason to guarantee when they do your fantasy team does too.

So your saying youd rather guarantee one poor performance to guarantee 1 good one rather than having a high chance of 2 good ones? Honestly it doesn't track. Better to have a pair of WR1's on 2 teams than the WR1 and 2 on the same. It's just true.

So he has Burrow, Boyd and Higgins. Akers and Higgins in most opinions I see including my own are pretty close to a push. Knowing his roster says again it is an easy choice to move the player. You speak of forcing a trade like he is trading Higgins for Duke Johnson. Easy slam dunk trade.
No no I’m not saying I’d rather have that. I’m saying I wouldn’t force sell a guy for that reason. I just don’t think there’s much data that suggests not to have 2 good WRs just because they’re on the same team other than the same bye week.

Either way we agree to make this particular trade so I’m Happy to move on if you’d like, enjoyed the back and forth!

snaps06
Captain
Captain

Postby snaps06 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:30 pm

Akers > Higgins, especially with your roster construction. I like that offer as a starting point and it might get the job done. Don't be surprised if the other owner wants more because solid RBs are much harder to find than a solid WR.

The 12 and Davis is way too light, but if you can make it happen that would be fantastic.
Team 1: 12-Team 0.5 PPR '16 & '17 3rd, '20 2nd Place
REBUILD STARTED 2019
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex Flex
Kyler,Stafford,Herbert
Zeke,Sanders,Swift,Moss,Robinson,Mattison,Gio
Cooper,Juju,AJB,Reagor,Ruggs,Mims,Kirk,Bateman,Moore
Kelce,Henry
2022: 2,3,4

Team 2: 12-Team 0.5 PPR '17 & '20 2nd Place
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex
Rodgers,Stafford
Zeke,Conner,Robinson,Dillon,CEvans,Mattison,Edmonds,Davis