Patrick Mahomes: The Best QB in the NFL & for Dynasty

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
gameaholica
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Patrick Mahomes

Postby gameaholica » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:36 pm

I like him a lot. He replaces Cousins on my team to be my Rodgers backup in 18. Hoping he becomes my qb1 of the future. I expect an up and down season this year with more interceptions then you will like. He still has to learn NFL defense looks, and reportedly has that Favre gunslinger mentality.
TheFantasyFootballGuys Dynasty League (13 keeper-PPR)
QB: Mahomes | Stafford | Mayfield
RB: Barkely | Henry | Etienne | Akers | Penny |
WR: Thomas | Bateman | Pittman | Metchie | Shaheed | W. Robinson
TE: Dulcich | Kincaid | Latu
Start: QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-Flex-Flex-K-DEF

Buzz's BBQ Dynasty League(18 keeper-PPR)
QB: J Allen | Stafford |
RB: J.Williams | J Taylor | Mostert | Herbert | Hall | Tucker | Charbonnet
WR: Chase | AJ Brown | Mims | JSN | Metchie | W Robinson
TE: Engram | LaPorta | Pitts | Latu | Ferguson
Start: QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-FLEX-K-DEF

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Got around to studying his tape in that one game he started in detail.

He's got significant issues to work on and he wasn't facing Denver's true 1st-team D, but I do have to say the pure arm-talent really stands out. He appears to be able to make throws even a guy like Stafford probably can't pull off.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Jcedwards
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Jcedwards » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:29 am

I’m kinda nervous to have to roll him out for the first few weeks. I do think he will be really good, but I just don’t know how long it will take him
12 team .5 PPR league. 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 FLEX, 1 D/ST, 1 K, 13 BN, 1 IR

2019 and 2020 Champion

QB- Mahomes / Purdy
RB- Barkley / Pollard / Kamara / Brian Robinson / Dillon / Charbonnet / Dowdle
WR- ARSB / Amari Cooper / Ridley / Diontae Johnson / Michael Thomas / Doubs / Wicks
TE- Goedert / Waller
D/ST- Bills / Dolphins / Chiefs
K- Butker

Taxi- Levis / Roschon Johnson / Jameson Williams / Michael Wilson / Okonkwo

Picks- 2023: 1.02, 1.11, 2.10, 2.11, 3.11, 4.10, 4.11

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:15 am

ninotoreS wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:27 pm Got around to studying his tape in that one game he started in detail.

He's got significant issues to work on and he wasn't facing Denver's true 1st-team D, but I do have to say the pure arm-talent really stands out. He appears to be able to make throws even a guy like Stafford probably can't pull off.
For perspective, he also played without Hunt, Hill and Kelce. He made Albert Wilson look like a monster.

Mahomes is going to be special. There's a reason a guy like Sean Payton wanted him so badly. His talent is just unreal. By mid-season Winston will be a complete afterthought for the OP.

One of the biggest reasons I'm so high on him is that in 2018, the QB position (and offense in general plus all the rule changes) is totally different to how it was in 1998 or even 2008. I'm not trying to discredit Watson at all, but what I saw was a QB who could run around in the pocket, almost like he's playing HS football, and just bomb it down the field to a freak like Nuke. Look at Mayfield going #1 overall. Russell Wilson, cut out of the same mold. I'm not saying Mahomes will specifically be better or worse than any of these individuals, just that he has all those physical traits and MORE -- i.e. his arm is better, his targets are better and he's being coached by a better offensive mind (and he's A+ character/work ethic type, too, I'm just emphasizing the physical aspect).

Other than INTs caused by over-aggression, I simply cannot see anything but success.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:45 am

Some recent young QBs have definitely come in and tore up the NFL faster than anyone thought, so why not Mahomes?

Wasn't sure he'd be starting with the way Smith played out of his mind last year, but "he gone" and here we are.

Schedule isn't great, but he'll at least be a blast to watch and startable this season.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:08 pm

Multiple Scorgasms wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:15 am Mahomes is going to be special.
Easy there. League history is littered with the corpses of QBs with crazy arm-talent that couldn't master the mental aspects of the position which truly define the 'special' QBs.
Other than INTs caused by over-aggression, I simply cannot see anything but success.
He missed open receivers preceding his scrambles, and his touch and accuracy suffered because he was putting too much juice on his throws.

All understandable issues for a rookie making his first start, of course, but don't overstate how he performed.
He made Albert Wilson look like a monster.
Wilson only vacuumed up check-downs and scramble drill targets.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Probably not realistic to think he will take off like Watson. What Watson did was Epic.

That said, I think Mahomes will indeed be special. He is fearless, and his improvement year over year at Tech was outstanding. His last year at Tech was over 5000 yards, over 65% completion percentage, and his Y/A was 8.5 to go with 41 TD's in 12 games. That 8.5 Y/A had to have KC drooling. KC has speed to Kill and will/should benefit greatly in the KC system.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:39 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:08 pm
Multiple Scorgasms wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:15 am Mahomes is going to be special.
Easy there. League history is littered with the corpses of QBs with crazy arm-talent that couldn't master the mental aspects of the position which truly define the 'special' QBs.
He missed open receivers preceding his scrambles, and his touch and accuracy suffered because he was putting too much juice on his throws.

All understandable issues for a rookie making his first start, of course, but don't overstate how he performed.
Completely agree on the analysis. I watched every pass a while back and came to the same conclusions.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:08 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:39 pm

Completely agree on the analysis. I watched every pass a while back and came to the same conclusions.
This QB has stud Potential written all over him. His ability to make multiple reads was outstanding in college.

Having a year to sit back and learn the pro game should really help him. I also think Mike Kafka is going to be a name we are going to be hearing about a lot in the future. He has the makings of a QB Whisperer and could be a big time coach withing the next 5 years or so.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:22 pm

Ice wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:08 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:39 pm

This QB has stud Potential written all over him. His ability to make multiple reads was outstanding in college.

Having a year to sit back and learn the pro game should really help him. I also think Mike Kafka is going to be a name we are going to be hearing about a lot in the future. He has the makings of a QB Whisperer and could be a big time coach withing the next 5 years or so.
Texas Tech and that offense is really gimmicky. I am not saying Mahomes can't be great. He can, I'm talking about the analysis of one game and ninotoreS was spot on. Mahomes reminds me of Jeff George at this point. Not saying he'll end up the same, but the touch and accuracy are as important as the velocity. He could end up being Brett Favre "light", I think that is his ceiling. We shall see. Naturala arm strength, like speed, can't be taught, so he has that going for him.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:10 pm

What is being missed is since Mahomes had the 2nd-3rd string receivers to throw to, he really could not use his arm strength to a large extent. The offense Mahomes will be in next year with Hill, Kelce, Watkins and Conley is going to be significantly different. Mahomes was always in command of the offense, he did not look like a rookie starting his first game. He definitely made a few bad throws, but considering this was his first game, poor receivers, frigid conditions...he looked very good. He made passes with pressure in his face and can flick the ball 20 yards downfield without any effort. It is true the mental part of playing QB is important and Mahomes has been in the film room non-stop. He loves football and the process of preparing and getting better. The only thing Mahomes has in common with Jeff George is a huge arm. George was not liked nor respected by his teammates, Mahomes is the opposite. I am actually kind of shocked more owners do not see what is coming. Reid has assembled an extremely fast and explosive receiving corps. He traded up in the draft to get Mahomes and his arm by design. Tyreek Hill is going to terrorize defenses. Undoubtedly there will be growing pains, but this offense is going to be a show.......

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:57 pm

Have to call BS on Tech's offense being Gimmicky. They have a sophisticated passing attack. Most colleges run spread offenses these days and we seeing this creep into the pro game in a big way.

Mahomes strength in college was his pre snap reads and ability to hit 2nd and 3rd options at will. He was great without the quality of Wes Welker or Michael Crabtree types.

KC gave up the 27th pick in 17, a third rounder in 17,and a 1st rounder in 2018 to move up 17 spots. It is obvious KC loves his talent. I do like the Favre comparision given his gunslinger attitude of throwing into tight windows and throwing players open. He was more advanced than Favre was coming out of college. Time will tell if he becomes great but he has the skill set to be a franchise player for years to come.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:12 am

dm1129 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:10 pm What is being missed is since Mahomes had the 2nd-3rd string receivers to throw to, he really could not use his arm strength to a large extent. The offense Mahomes will be in next year with Hill, Kelce, Watkins and Conley is going to be significantly different. Mahomes was always in command of the offense, he did not look like a rookie starting his first game. He definitely made a few bad throws, but considering this was his first game, poor receivers, frigid conditions...he looked very good. He made passes with pressure in his face and can flick the ball 20 yards downfield without any effort. It is true the mental part of playing QB is important and Mahomes has been in the film room non-stop. He loves football and the process of preparing and getting better. The only thing Mahomes has in common with Jeff George is a huge arm. George was not liked nor respected by his teammates, Mahomes is the opposite. I am actually kind of shocked more owners do not see what is coming. Reid has assembled an extremely fast and explosive receiving corps. He traded up in the draft to get Mahomes and his arm by design. Tyreek Hill is going to terrorize defenses. Undoubtedly there will be growing pains, but this offense is going to be a show.......
Not really. You need to put the ball where the guy is, bottom line. I understand the better WR may create more of a window, but the first string DB will close that window at the same time. Bottom line is, you can't give him credit for hitting Albert Wilson a bunch of times (as someone else stated) while at the same time missing other guys that weren't the main starters. The reality is, it was a lot like a pre-season game in a lot of ways, not a ton of starting caliber talent on either side, so he really hasn't't played a meaningful NFL game at all at this point, with actual starters across the board. He is, in reality, a rookie behind centre this year. That's the way it shakes down. We have no idea, we had a glimpse, there were ups and downs with a B offense and a B defense, and I suspect it will be the same with the real thing going forward this year.

To the show thing, for sure. This year, however that "show" is going to have mixed reviews. Also, Watkins and Hill still don't really make me think "look out" for opposing defenses, IDK. There are much better WR corps out there. Andy Reid is the King of pretty good, but I just don't think he's a mastermind or anything.

The other thing is game tape. Mahomes could come out and have a couple of good weeks, and then opposing teams have actual NFL tape to study, and could scheme some things that would make a first year starter struggle. I think there will be big games, and bad games, really hit and miss, and FF wise people will have to hope KC's D is really terrible, to facilitate the soft zones and easy underneath stuff that will make his stats look better than he actually is in year 1/
Janiel Dones Truther

knotts4372
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby knotts4372 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:28 am

i see a very up and down year where he'll have a few real good games and a few stinkers. i'd say he has like 3000-3200 yds, 18-22 td and 16-18 int. that speed on the outside is mostly gonna open up things even more for travis kelce who imo has one of the best te seasons ever this year
DLF hall of famers 16 teams 25 man roster
http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... =07&F=0016

IRONCLAD 16 teams 40 man rosters http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/133985/teams/

@donnynutz on twitter

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:51 am

knotts4372 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:28 am i see a very up and down year where he'll have a few real good games and a few stinkers. i'd say he has like 3000-3200 yds, 18-22 td and 16-18 int. that speed on the outside is mostly gonna open up things even more for travis kelce who imo has one of the best te seasons ever this year
Agreed for the most part, but these numbers don't really lend to the final statement.
Janiel Dones Truther