Vikings have best QB, RB, WR trio ever?

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Re: Vikings have best QB, RB, WR trio ever?

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:57 pm

airlex wrote:After reading through everyone's comments and thinking on it some more, I'm even more convinced that the trio of Montana, Craig, & Rice were the best of all time...I feel you can easily make the argument that:

Montana - top 3 QB of all time
Craig - extremely versatile RB that went to the ProBowl as both a FB and RB. He also led THE LEAGUE in receiving one year. He was the perfect back for the West Coast offense and did anything asked of him.
Rice - greatest player to ever play the game

I think you could compare some of the groups people have listed and point out the seperation between Craig and the other RB, but I would point back to asking if the other QB is arguably top 3 of all time and the variance between Rice and the other WR. He's so far ahead in almost every statistical category that it is mindblowing...this group gets my vote and I'm not sure it's very close.
Here is the low-down on the 49ers trio you detail above statistically. Very impressive:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... o/1989.htm
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

WarriorPoet
Role Player
Role Player

Postby WarriorPoet » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:50 pm

In two years:

Rodgers, Finley, Starks! :lol:

WarriorPoet
Role Player
Role Player

Postby WarriorPoet » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:52 pm

airlex wrote:Here are some trio's to consider:

Buffalo - Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed
New England - Tom Brady, Corey Dillon, Randy Moss
Pittsburgh - Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, John Stallworth
Indy - Peyton Manning, Edge James, Marvin Harrison
Denver - John Elway, Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe
Green Bay - Brett Favre, Dorsey Levins, Antonio Freeman
St. Louis - Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt
Dallas - Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin
San Francisco - Joe Montana, Roger Craig, Jerry Rice
Steve Young, Ricky Watters, Jerry Rice

My vote - Montana/Craig/Rice followed closely by Warner/Faulk/Holt & Elway/Davis/Sharpe

dickiethon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby dickiethon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:35 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
airlex wrote:After reading through everyone's comments and thinking on it some more, I'm even more convinced that the trio of Montana, Craig, & Rice were the best of all time...I feel you can easily make the argument that:

Montana - top 3 QB of all time
Craig - extremely versatile RB that went to the ProBowl as both a FB and RB. He also led THE LEAGUE in receiving one year. He was the perfect back for the West Coast offense and did anything asked of him.
Rice - greatest player to ever play the game

I think you could compare some of the groups people have listed and point out the seperation between Craig and the other RB, but I would point back to asking if the other QB is arguably top 3 of all time and the variance between Rice and the other WR. He's so far ahead in almost every statistical category that it is mindblowing...this group gets my vote and I'm not sure it's very close.
Here is the low-down on the 49ers trio you detail above statistically. Very impressive:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... o/1989.htm

their numbers weren't even that great that year. the 2001 rams numbers were way better
12 team start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE Non-PPR

QB: Brees, dalton, Carr

RB: AP, Rice, sankey, bush, fjax, taliafero, trent, riddick

WR: Dez, wallace, D. Thomas, watkins, A Johnson, vjax

TE: Olsen, fleener, donnell, ebron

bobbytheo3
Starter
Starter

Postby bobbytheo3 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:25 am

I don't know if I've ever laughed harder than when Kris wrote that Moss is better than Rice. Hahahahahahahahaha. Kris, if Rice was playing right now, you would have made up that you have him in your 20 team dynasty league before any other guy in the world.
___________________ is without a doubt the Fantasy Football guru of Philadelphia.

dlf_ericd
Administrator

Postby dlf_ericd » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:29 am

dickiethon wrote:

their numbers weren't even that great that year. the 2001 rams numbers were way better
Sure, based on pure numbers alone, the 2001 Rams were better...but that's like saying Babe Ruth wasn't that good either, since his numbers don't compare to slightly above average players currently. Times have changed, football is played differently, both offensively and defensively. The 49ers created something new, did it better than everyone else and won multiple titles doing it. The had arguably 2 of the greatest players of all time at their respective position and re-invented the RB position with Craig. Ray Rice, Frank Gore, Marshall Faulk, etc don't happen without the 49ers and Craig showing them how it could be done.
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball