Recent Brees DLF Trade

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:44 am

skip wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote:Skip Brees to Manning is not a huge drop. Barber for the 1.3 and a 2nd is still a risk, but its a good risk....
If you don't think that there is a big difference between Brees and Manning, then you must think the same about AJ and Desean. Or MJD and Gore. Maybe its just me, but there is definitely a difference there.
In DLF I scoring, Manning played out of his mind last year and came in 70 or so points behind Brees (who had an average year for himself). I think there is a noticeable difference between the two. Barber will be a nice RB3 for me no matter where he ends up. I don't know what to make of Thomas - I think he might take a big step forward with McNabb. I have a ton of other young WR's though and could afford to deal one and make my QB position hassle free for the next 4 years.

I was ok with trading away the 1.03 because I made up my mind that I do NOT like one of the top 3 players and felt he was probably going to fall to me and I would get stuck with him having both the 2 and 3 picks. I was really going back and forth on this trade - in fact went so far as to say "no thanks". But then Bubba came in with "Well I'll just shoot the trade over and leave it open in case you change your mind."

Then I caved.

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:46 am

thevidon2 wrote:
skip wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote:Skip Brees to Manning is not a huge drop. Barber for the 1.3 and a 2nd is still a risk, but its a good risk....
If you don't think that there is a big difference between Brees and Manning, then you must think the same about AJ and Desean. Or MJD and Gore. Maybe its just me, but there is definitely a difference there.
In DLF I scoring, Manning played out of his mind last year and came in 65 points behind Brees (who had an average year for himself). I think there is a noticeable difference between the two. Barber will be a nice RB3 for me no matter where he ends up. I don't know what to make of Thomas - I think he might take a big step forward with McNabb. I have a ton of other young WR's though and could afford to deal one and make my QB position hassle free for the next 4 years.

I was ok with trading away the 1.03 because I made up my mind that I do NOT like one of the top 3 players and felt he was probably going to fall to me and I would get stuck with him having both the 2 and 3 picks. I was really going back and forth on this trade - in fact went so far as to say "no thanks". But then Bubba came in with "Well I'll just shoot the trade over and leave it open in case you change your mind."

Then I caved.
I always like to do that. Not to force someone to cave. But you amy have a feeling one way or the other about the trade thats not really taking everything into account. You weren't looking at the trade. We were just talking, shooting emails back and forth. Once you see it out there you can get a different feel for it. That's why I always like to put it out there.
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

bobbytheo3
Starter
Starter

Postby bobbytheo3 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:59 am

BubbaBurst wrote:My big thing with Brees is that if you take out the 50 point game he puts up once or twice a season, his numbers are solid but not outlandish. I will definately miss those games, but for the majority of the season, Eli or Vince Young will be able to match his point total.
why would you take them out?

The Brees side comes out WAYYYY ahead here.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:04 am

princevincexoxo wrote:The drop is not as significant statistically as you are making it out to be.
Last season
Brees 24.07 ppg
Eli 19.75

MJD 21.07
Gore 19.65

AJ 20.11
Desean 17.52

On the contrary, it is more significant than you are making it out to be. The subjective part here is what I think re: Barber. But the difference at QB should not be minimized.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:20 am

skip wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote:The drop is not as significant statistically as you are making it out to be.
Last season
Brees 24.07 ppg
Eli 19.75

MJD 21.07
Gore 19.65

AJ 20.11
Desean 17.52

On the contrary, it is more significant than you are making it out to be. The subjective part here is what I think re: Barber. But the difference at QB should not be minimized.

Hey Skip...lets talk about the 40 point, and 39 point game he had....rotating Eli with Vince can make up for that difference EASILY. 5 points among RB's and WR's is huge....among QB's its not.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:21 am

skip wrote:
Last season
Brees 24.07 ppg
Eli 19.75

MJD 21.07
Gore 19.65

AJ 20.11
Desean 17.52

I think Eli and the 1.03 covers Brees. Devin Thomas and the 2nd cover Barber.

I think like has been stated before the trade was pretty much dead on value wise. It all comes down to what each of us needed. He wanted more youth and potential young studs and I needed to shore up a couple positions. Worked out for everyone.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:23 am

thevidon2 wrote:
skip wrote:
Last season
Brees 24.07 ppg
Eli 19.75

MJD 21.07
Gore 19.65

AJ 20.11
Desean 17.52

I think like has been stated before the trade was pretty much dead on value wise. It all comes down to what each of us needed. He wanted more youth and potential young studs and I needed to shore up a couple positions. Worked out for everyone.

EVERYONES A WINNNER!!! :D

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:32 am

princevincexoxo wrote:
thevidon2 wrote:
skip wrote: Last season
Brees 24.07 ppg
Eli 19.75

MJD 21.07
Gore 19.65

AJ 20.11
Desean 17.52

EVERYONES A WINNNER!!! :D
You worked at a carnival as a teenager didn't you.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:54 am

princevincexoxo wrote: Hey Skip...lets talk about the 40 point, and 39 point game he had....rotating Eli with Vince can make up for that difference EASILY. 5 points among RB's and WR's is huge....among QB's its not.
You can't selectively throw out big games from one set of players without doing the same for another. Throw away AJs games of 36 and 42 points. Or MJDs of 40 and 36... Now take a look at Gore's and Desean's production relative to those two and convince me. You're going to argue that the difference drops at QB by throwing out a couple of big games. The same is true at RB and WR.

If my QB outscores yours by 5 and your RB outscores mine by 5, you don't get extra credit for doing it with an RB.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:05 pm

skip wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote: Hey Skip...lets talk about the 40 point, and 39 point game he had....rotating Eli with Vince can make up for that difference EASILY. 5 points among RB's and WR's is huge....among QB's its not.
You can't selectively throw out big games from one set of players without doing the same for another. Throw away AJs games of 36 and 42 points. Or MJDs of 40 and 36... Now take a look at Gore's and Desean's production relative to those two and convince me. You're going to argue that the difference drops at QB by throwing out a couple of big games. The same is true at RB and WR.

If my QB outscores yours by 5 and your RB outscores mine by 5, you don't get extra credit for doing it with an RB.
Good analogy Skip.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:18 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
skip wrote:

Good analogy Skip.

Yea but a RB's production is harder to compensate for than a QB's production.....and thats FACT.

RB's that score 5-6 less points per game than MJD: Joseph Addai, Ricky Williams, Slaton, Grant, Thomas Jones, Benson. You are equating the value of a QB's production, to the value of an RB's production and thats misleading.

5 points may be 5 points....but its easier to make up those 5 points by rotating QB's than it is by rotating RB's....and you know that skip.....Marion Barber scored 12 PPG.....thats NOTHING spectacular AT ALL. Hightower, Forte, Charles, Reggie, Fred Jackson, Ricky Williams, Kevin Smith, Slaton and Jerome Harrison all scored more PPG than Barber.....the 1.3 has much more promise, and value than Barber...Yes, its still a risk, but its a very good one.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:27 pm

princevincexoxo wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:
skip wrote: You can't selectively throw out big games from one set of players without doing the same for another. Throw away AJs games of 36 and 42 points. Or MJDs of 40 and 36... Now take a look at Gore's and Desean's production relative to those two and convince me. You're going to argue that the difference drops at QB by throwing out a couple of big games. The same is true at RB and WR.

Good analogy Skip.

Yea but a RB's production is harder to compensate for than a QB's production.....and thats FACT.

RB's that score 5-6 less points per game than MJD: Joseph Addai, Ricky Williams, Slaton, Grant, Thomas Jones, Benson. You are equating the value of a QB's production, to the value of an RB's production and thats misleading.

5 points may be 5 points....but its easier to make up those 5 points by rotating QB's than it is by rotating RB's....and you know that skip.....Marion Barber scored 12 PPG.....thats NOTHING spectacular AT ALL. Hightower, Forte, Charles, Reggie, Fred Jackson, Ricky Williams, Kevin Smith, Slaton and Jerome Harrison all scored more PPG than Barber.....the 1.3 has much more promise, and value than Barber...Yes, its still a risk, but its a very good one.
I'm trying to get a feel for how you view this trade. I don't see Barber as having anything to do with the 1.3. Like I state earlier I view the trade as Eli + 1.03 for Brees, and D. Thomas + 2'nd for Barber.

Do you view the equation differently?

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:48 pm

thevidon2 wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote:
Steelersfan wrote: Good analogy Skip.

I'm trying to get a feel for how you view this trade. I don't see Barber as having anything to do with the 1.3. Like I state earlier I view the trade as Eli + 1.03 for Brees, and D. Thomas + 2'nd for Barber.

Do you view the equation differently?

Im looking at it like

Eli, Thomas, and 2nd for Brees
and
1.3 for Barber

and no i didnt work at a carnival :)

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:59 pm

princevincexoxo wrote: Im looking at it like

and
1.3 for Barber

There is a clear difference in player valuation here. As an owner of Thomas, I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a 2nd rd pick - and an early one at that.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:06 pm

skip wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote: Im looking at it like

and
1.3 for Barber

There is a clear difference in player valuation here. As an owner of Thomas, I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a 2nd rd pick - and an early one at that.

So basically you think the difference between Brees and Eli is greater than 2 2nd round picks? I disagree, I think thats plenty even as far as value is concerned.

1.3 for Marion Barber is a steal as far as value is concerned.

Production wise it may not seem like a good deal but depending on how things go....he could either make a solid pick, or deal it for something currently just as good as barber, or better than barber long term when the time arises.....