Mendenhall, Austin Trade

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:44 pm

Pilate wrote:
meineymoe wrote:
skip wrote: What do you mean suddenly? My rankings pretty much mirror Nate's.
you're right, not suddenly - I don't understand how Austin, who has also had only one decent season, is that much better of a WR prospect than Rice. Sidney will be fine post-Favre -- there were other contributing factors pre-Favre, beyond the horrible Tarvaris experiment.

I still look back to Rice being a steal in the second round of the NFL draft, while Austin was no where to be found until he rose to the top of a crappy wr corp in dallas.

-oo-
In a vacuum, I like both players alot but if I had to choose a player based on skill set, playing style, and body type, give me Miles Austin. Like Moe noted, wasn't highly touted coming out of Monmouth but has has shown the determination and hard work to become an elite WR. I don't agree with your comment that Austin is only successful because of the "crappy" WR's Dallas has but I will leave it at that.

I like Rice too...but for all the Rice lovers you really have alot of unanswered questions to who Sydney Rice is once Favre is gone. That is why he suffers in my rankings.
hey hey hey now....Austin and Rice are both studs...and they will both continue to be. Tell Jerry Jones how crappy Roy Williams is :lol:

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:11 pm

princevincexoxo wrote:
Pilate wrote:
meineymoe wrote: you're right, not suddenly - I don't understand how Austin, who has also had only one decent season, is that much better of a WR prospect than Rice. Sidney will be fine post-Favre -- there were other contributing factors pre-Favre, beyond the horrible Tarvaris experiment.

I still look back to Rice being a steal in the second round of the NFL draft, while Austin was no where to be found until he rose to the top of a crappy wr corp in dallas.

-oo-
In a vacuum, I like both players alot but if I had to choose a player based on skill set, playing style, and body type, give me Miles Austin. Like Moe noted, wasn't highly touted coming out of Monmouth but has has shown the determination and hard work to become an elite WR. I don't agree with your comment that Austin is only successful because of the "crappy" WR's Dallas has but I will leave it at that.

I like Rice too...but for all the Rice lovers you really have alot of unanswered questions to who Sydney Rice is once Favre is gone. That is why he suffers in my rankings.
hey hey hey now....Austin and Rice are both studs...and they will both continue to be. Tell Jerry Jones how crappy Roy Williams is :lol:

#12 in my rankings is not stud level (Rice) but that is me. :lol:

tra151
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tra151 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:57 pm

i like rice and austin about the same at this point. austin has certainly shown the determination to play at a high level, but i'm not sure that you can say he has an advantage over rice in skill set or body type over rice. i think rice struggled early due to be very young and having garbage qb play. now that he has established his game, i think he will continue to produce at a high level regardless of qb situation. i think he gets severly undervalued by people who think he will struggle when favre is gone. jennings and driver have continued to excel without favre (and yes i understand they have rodgers now), and the jets wr's though not great posted similar stats with favre as they did with pennington. with that said, i think the biggest factor is that i doubt with the team the vikings currently have, they will waste valuable championship run years with an inadequate qb, should favre hang them up.
10 team dynasty ppr (1qb,2rb,3wr,1te,1k,1dst)
26 man roster
QB-Rodgers, Carr, Rudolph
RB-Mixon, Guice, Cohen, Drake, Dion Lewis, Damian Harris, Darwin Thompson, Mattison, Mostert, ADP
WR-Davante Adams, Tyreek, Golladay, AJ Green, Fitz, Josh Gordon, Westbrook, Robby Anderson, N’keal Harry
TE- Kittle, Jimmy Graham
NE DST Jax DST

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:48 pm

tra151 wrote:i like rice and austin about the same at this point. austin has certainly shown the determination to play at a high level, but i'm not sure that you can say he has an advantage over rice in skill set or body type over rice. i think rice struggled early due to be very young and having garbage qb play. now that he has established his game, i think he will continue to produce at a high level regardless of qb situation. i think he gets severly undervalued by people who think he will struggle when favre is gone. jennings and driver have continued to excel without favre (and yes i understand they have rodgers now), and the jets wr's though not great posted similar stats with favre as they did with pennington. with that said, i think the biggest factor is that i doubt with the team the vikings currently have, they will waste valuable championship run years with an inadequate qb, should favre hang them up.
Easy to say, but QBs don't fall off trees. Look at the number of organizations who have spent years without, placing hopes in either trades or draft picks to secure one only to fail over and over.

I don't think anyone has ever said that Rice's production will plummet without Favre, but to think that it will remain steady takes a bit of faith.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:43 pm

austin is a flash in a pan.. every year theres one. SELL SELL SELL

and DO NOT buy buy buy
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:47 am

Pilate wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote:
Pilate wrote: In a vacuum, I like both players alot but if I had to choose a player based on skill set, playing style, and body type, give me Miles Austin. Like Moe noted, wasn't highly touted coming out of Monmouth but has has shown the determination and hard work to become an elite WR. I don't agree with your comment that Austin is only successful because of the "crappy" WR's Dallas has but I will leave it at that.

#12 in my rankings is not stud level (Rice) but that is me. :lol:
This time next year your tone will change. No worries Nate, my friend, your time will come. :wink:

Besides, in a 12 team league thats a number 1 WR my friend.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:14 am

skip wrote:
tra151 wrote:i like rice and austin about the same at this point. austin has certainly shown the determination to play at a high level, but i'm not sure that you can say he has an advantage over rice in skill set or body type over rice. i think rice struggled early due to be very young and having garbage qb play. now that he has established his game, i think he will continue to produce at a high level regardless of qb situation. i think he gets severly undervalued by people who think he will struggle when favre is gone. jennings and driver have continued to excel without favre (and yes i understand they have rodgers now), and the jets wr's though not great posted similar stats with favre as they did with pennington. with that said, i think the biggest factor is that i doubt with the team the vikings currently have, they will waste valuable championship run years with an inadequate qb, should favre hang them up.

Easy to say, but QBs don't fall off trees. Look at the number of organizations who have spent years without, placing hopes in either trades or draft picks to secure one only to fail over and over.

I don't think anyone has ever said that Rice's production will plummet without Favre, but to think that it will remain steady takes a bit of faith.
These organizations also had pretty bad leadership, a weak supporting cast, and lacked an offensive gameplan (the team I think of most here are your browns skip)...look at the difference between Alex Smith (current), look at Matt Ryan, Big Ben, Rivers, Rodgers, etc...compare them to Brady Quinn, Jamarcus Russel, and Alex Smith (past) etc....the latter group had poor direction and leadership on the offensive side of the ball when they took the reigns. The other QB's had a set identity, sense of direction and decent leadership so that even if they didnt come in and light it up right away, they had a running game to fall back on, so that they could improve.

It depends on what you mean by steady...in theory Fitzgerald's production has dropped, but his value has nearly stayed the same because we all know what he is capable of. The problem most just dont believe in Rice's abilities enough to consider him a sure thing.

Austin and Rice are both complete WR's that are used differently....Miles Austin is used as more of a possession WR like Brandon Marshall, but he can also burn you kind of like TO could, and run good routes. Sidney Rice is used as more of a deep threat, but he can also be a big target in the deep/intermediate routes across the middle, kind of like Larry Fitzgerald.

Andre Johnson is used in every way possible which is why he is pretty unstoppable no matter who is QB.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:14 am

MrUbuto wrote:austin is a flash in a pan.. every year theres one. SELL SELL SELL

and DO NOT buy buy buy
excuse me :lol: I bought

gaz29
Starter
Starter

Postby gaz29 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:52 am

MrUbuto wrote:austin is a flash in a pan.. every year theres one. SELL SELL SELL

and DO NOT buy buy buy
I agree with this and you can add in Rice to. There isnt a big enough body of work to give the #1 status yet.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:21 am

gaz29 wrote:

and DO NOT buy buy buy
I agree with this and you can add in Rice to. There isnt a big enough body of work to give the #1 status yet.

thats a reason to buy, or hold, not to sell......