Mendenhall trade

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:51 pm

princevincexoxo wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:I pretty much agree with the others (Skip echoes many of my thoughts). However I like that you added Mendenhall but the first should not have been there. DWills numbers were down and JStew's up largely because DWill missed about 4 games. He hasn't been particularly injury-prone, either.

You know what DWill's value is with another solid (well, super-stud) RB on the roster. What happens if PIT adds one? Their roster almost assures us that they will draft a 2nd RB there. But, I won't factor that in - that's purely speculative.

Mendenhall is only 2 years younger. DWill still has an elite offensive line and running scheme. The two backs are close. I have them ranked 6th (DWill) and 7th (Mendenhall). No reason to also give a first-round pick. Even as high as I am on Mendenhall, he is still the lesser player and less proven. The two year age difference may be mitigated through JStew helping prolong DWill's career, too. He doesn't have to shoulder the full-load like Mendenhall does right now. Sometimes that is good, sometimes not. Backs can get worn down. Then hurt.

I wasn't fond of the first trade. I'm not a fan of Massaquoi - he can't catch. Maybe that will change, but with Delhomme throwing the ball I probably wouldn't expect it. Bess is nothing special and his role could change. Cassel is Cassel. I have no problem with him other than Stafford is far younger and probably just as good (or bad, depending on how you look at it). :)
Mendenhall is 4 years younger - turning 23. DWill is turning 27...so how does that affect your opinion if at all?
Oops! My bad. :oops:

I still wouldn't have sent the first. That's assuming both backs play through their age 30 seasons. That doesn't always happen. It does make giving the first a bit more palatable, but my ranking of them is still 6 and 7 favoring DWill. DWill is a truly elite, explosive back with an elite offensive line and run-scheme, like I said. I still favor DWill, but it's close. 8-)

Just out of curiosity, would you have traded Steven Jackson and a first for Mendenhall? That's essentially what you are doing with DWill.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

gratefulydead3
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gratefulydead3 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:42 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:I pretty much agree with the others (Skip echoes many of my thoughts). However I like that you added Mendenhall but the first should not have been there. DWills numbers were down and JStew's up largely because DWill missed about 4 games. He hasn't been particularly injury-prone, either.

You know what DWill's value is with another solid (well, super-stud) RB on the roster. What happens if PIT adds one? Their roster almost assures us that they will draft a 2nd RB there. But, I won't factor that in - that's purely speculative.

Mendenhall is only 2 years younger. DWill still has an elite offensive line and running scheme. The two backs are close. I have them ranked 6th (DWill) and 7th (Mendenhall). No reason to also give a first-round pick. Even as high as I am on Mendenhall, he is still the lesser player and less proven. The two year age difference may be mitigated through JStew helping prolong DWill's career, too. He doesn't have to shoulder the full-load like Mendenhall does right now. Sometimes that is good, sometimes not. Backs can get worn down. Then hurt.

I wasn't fond of the first trade. I'm not a fan of Massaquoi - he can't catch. Maybe that will change, but with Delhomme throwing the ball I probably wouldn't expect it. Bess is nothing special and his role could change. Cassel is Cassel. I have no problem with him other than Stafford is far younger and probably just as good (or bad, depending on how you look at it). :)
Mendenhall is 4 years younger - turning 23. DWill is turning 27...so how does that affect your opinion if at all?
Oops! My bad. :oops:

I still wouldn't have sent the first. That's assuming both backs play through their age 30 seasons. That doesn't always happen. It does make giving the first a bit more palatable, but my ranking of them is still 6 and 7 favoring DWill. DWill is a truly elite, explosive back with an elite offensive line and run-scheme, like I said. I still favor DWill, but it's close. 8-)

Just out of curiosity, would you have traded Steven Jackson and a first for Mendenhall? That's essentially what you are doing with DWill.
Only Jackson's coming off his 2nd best year. I'd put his value higher than DWill right now, plus there's no Stewart-type player to compete with for carries.

I like the move from DWill to Mendenhall, it just seems like the added 1st is a high price to pay. At the very least I see one more good year for Williams. He'll be playing for a contract that'll give him good money until he retires.

Look at 2011-on though and chances are he won't be somewhere with that elite O-line and running scheme. I think Mendenhall will put up better numbers from here on out, but IMO you aren't getting enough back