golden tate

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:34 pm

skip wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote: Unfortunately this is not true as many of the NFL teams put heavy stock in the measurables. I think game film should be the ultimate guide but we all know the scouts and GMs go crazy over measurables.
Steve would be a good source to tell us exactly what scouts are looking for and what they aren't.

I don't think there is nearly the amount of stock put into what happens at the combine anymore as many of these guys spending extra time training just to post good combine numbers. It is much more important for the marginal guys than it is for the top players in the draft.
Well, when I quoted this, it was from Bunting's scouting report. I don't know how much stock I give it, but it wasn't referring to the Combine. It was referring to games and tape:

He displays the ability to consistently track the ball downfield, but he isn't a natural catcher. Tate lets the ball get into his body too much and looks content to trap the ball against his frame, which causes him to drop too many passes in all areas of the field. -NFP

He also struggled vs. USC when the corners played press-coverage, according to Mayock. In part, due to longer-armed, and more physical corners. It's not going to get easier as he transitions to the pros. He's great with the ball in his hands - fantastic even. I just hope his hands show some consistency. There is talk of him not being able to play either of the 'outside' positions (Flanker or Split-End). If he's just a slot guy at the next level, his value takes a hit in my book. Another thing is that I dislike the hype guys w/ trouble catching the ball get sometimes - it's kind of important for receivers...(Yes, you Braylon) :roll: Time will tell if I'm making too much out of it, I guess. 8-)

More on the 'slot-receiver' talk:
The issue with most wide receivers in the transition from college to the NFL is the matchups they see outside of the numbers. They don’t see press-man coverage too often at the college level, and they struggle to get off the line of scrimmage and create separation vs. NFL defensive backs.

But, the interest is still there due to the fact that Tate is coming from South Bend under Charlie Weis and did produce in an offense that resembles what we see on Sundays at the NFL level.

However, the talk around Indy today concerning Tate is that he will have to make a living at the next level as a slot receiver — a No. 3 guy who can use his skills in the open field to produce yards after the catch. Think of an offense like Arizona’s or New England’s, which both get the ball to their underneath receivers with space to work with. The slants, the seam route vs. a nickel corner or a strong safety, the underneath drag route — all which could be a big part of Tate’s game as a pro.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:40 pm

Misfit74 wrote:Another thing is that I dislike the hype guys w/ trouble catching the ball get sometimes - it's kind of important for receivers...(Yes, you Braylon) :roll: Time will tell if I'm making too much out of it, I guess. 8-)
In any given year you will find that most of the guys who are leading the league in receiving are also leading it in drops. No excuses for Braylon (although he only dropped 3 balls this season). T.O. is one of the most prominent names as far as drops go, leading the NFL multiple times, and yet still being one of the best WRs in the league those years. Unless this is a problem that's been evident over the course of Tate's career, I don't think its a major issue at this point. Gresham dropped a couple of his as well. I guess he isn't the best TE coming out in this class. :D
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:01 am

skip wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:Another thing is that I dislike the hype guys w/ trouble catching the ball get sometimes - it's kind of important for receivers...(Yes, you Braylon) :roll: Time will tell if I'm making too much out of it, I guess. 8-)
In any given year you will find that most of the guys who are leading the league in receiving are also leading it in drops. No excuses for Braylon (although he only dropped 3 balls this season). T.O. is one of the most prominent names as far as drops go, leading the NFL multiple times, and yet still being one of the best WRs in the league those years. Unless this is a problem that's been evident over the course of Tate's career, I don't think its a major issue at this point. Gresham dropped a couple of his as well. I guess he isn't the best TE coming out in this class. :D
Valid points, Skip.

I would still like someone to address the issue of his value regarding his fit in the NFL as a slot-receiver, though.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:49 am

Misfit74 wrote:
skip wrote:
Valid points, Skip.

I would still like someone to address the issue of his value regarding his fit in the NFL as a slot-receiver, though.
That is where Golden will have to play in my opinion. He does not have the size nor the speed to play the X or the Z. I don't care what he ran at the combine, his football speed is not elite and the game tape shows that.

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:53 pm

Pilate wrote:That is where Golden will have to play in my opinion. He does not have the size nor the speed to play the X or the Z. I don't care what he ran at the combine, his football speed is not elite and the game tape shows that.
Did you watch a single Notre Dame game this past year?!?

I watched most of them and the game tape sure showed me a receiver who made constantly made big plays all over the field, no matter where he was lined up.

bobbytheo3
Starter
Starter

Postby bobbytheo3 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:01 pm

Again, 90+ catches and almost 1500 yards in a pro-style offense. And 5'10 199 is not THAT small. I don't see why he would be limited to the slot at all.

khrolltop
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby khrolltop » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:36 pm

My 1st rd picks are late, so draft him high Golden Domers, draft him high!