NASCAR Fans Here??

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Mark might be joking, but there are plenty of fantasy NASCAR leagues out there. My father doesn't do fantasy leagues and even he has been in a NASCAR one now for about 10 years. Here is the section at rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NAS.aspx
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:01 pm

skip wrote:Mark might be joking, but there are plenty of fantasy NASCAR leagues out there. My father doesn't do fantasy leagues and even he has been in a NASCAR one now for about 10 years. Here is the section at rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NAS.aspx
I know, I'm just having a little fun with my buddy Nate. For the record I actually did a fantasy Nascar league a few years ago on Yahoo... :shock:

I didn't do too well... :lol:

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:01 pm

I don't follow Nascar very much, but it is interesting how everyone seems to have a particular favorite racer or racing team, and everyone also seems to have a specific racer that they absolutely HATE! From what I understand, Jeff Gordon usually falls under the big time HATE category followed by angry fans calling him a (insert homosexual slur here) :lol:
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:13 pm

skip wrote:
Pilate wrote:Wow...9 responses and no NASCAR fan who can help me understand this sport better. Funny that all except for Skip seemed to dislike the sport!!
Well, I guess I'll accept being different. I find MLB, the NBA, the NHL, etc. just totally unwatchable. I can't even get into the post season. Our favorite restaurant is Buffalo Wild Wings (was there Sunday night) and with all those TVs unless there is NFL football on I watch the quizzes. This weekend there was the Olympics so at least there was something that wasn't a total snoozer.

I can probably answer a good number of your questions, Nate, even if I haven't watched it much recently.
I'm with you Skip...different ain't all that bad. :lol: I find most of the major sports boring as well but I enjoy MLB alot. Nothing better then sinking in the corner of my sofa with a cold adult beverage and listening to Joe Buck call a game....love that.

My wife and I also frequent a restaurant (The Ram) here in the PNW that has different TV's running different sports and outside of Football or Baseball...i'm watching the quiz too!! That is awesome... :lol:

Wikipedia has become my friend...Busch Series is now the Nationwide Series and is the "minor leagues" for the big boys which is the Sprint Cup....i'm on my way I think.

Thanks for the rotoworld link...

----------------
Now playing: The Ocean Blue - Slide

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:28 pm

Pilate wrote:Wikipedia has become my friend...Busch Series is now the Nationwide Series and is the "minor leagues" for the big boys which is the Sprint Cup....i'm on my way I think.

Thanks for the rotoworld link...
It was the Winston Cup for years, but the sport wanted to move away from ties to the cigarette industry (I don't recall the motivation - exterior or interior, it might have had to do with it not being legal to advertise cigarettes on television). Then it was briefly the Nextel Cup and now the Sprint Cup.

They also changed from the year-long scoring format to a new one. Basically they race about 3/4 of the season to determine the top 10-12 (I think its 12 now) point scorers over that time frame. They "reset" the points for those drivers and the last 10 races are like a playoffs for those teams racing for the championship. I don't think they also start from the baseline...the #1 scorer at that point starts with more points right on down. But the idea is to have that number of drivers all in the hunt down the stretch. It has been well-received.

That Jimmy Johnson has been as dominant as he has been in recent years is incredible. That kind of year-over-year performance is unheard of in a sport which strives so hard to make everything very uniform.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: NASCAR Fans Here??

Postby Phish Brigade » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:31 pm

Pilate wrote:I am not a NASCAR nor a racing fan. Over the years I have seen bits and pieces of races simply from channel surfing but know little about NASCAR.

This weekend I found myself watching (and kind of enjoying) the Daytona 500 since nothing else was on and kinda liked it!! I could see myself getting into racing (maybe) but just know nothing about it.

Anyone care to give me a crash course on NASCAR?? Busch Series vs Sprint Series? I notice some guys race trucks at the same time....

I think I could get into this....does that make me a redneck??
Tsk tsk... you mean to tell me you suffered through 4 hours of left turns when the Olympics were on? I'm not a racing fan, but NASCAR is pretty far down the list of things I can sit through.

Curling! Now there's a sport worth watching! :lol:
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:25 pm

Phish Brigade wrote:
Pilate wrote:I am not a NASCAR nor a racing fan. Over the years I have seen bits and pieces of races simply from channel surfing but know little about NASCAR.

This weekend I found myself watching (and kind of enjoying) the Daytona 500 since nothing else was on and kinda liked it!! I could see myself getting into racing (maybe) but just know nothing about it.

Anyone care to give me a crash course on NASCAR?? Busch Series vs Sprint Series? I notice some guys race trucks at the same time....

Tsk tsk... you mean to tell me you suffered through 4 hours of left turns when the Olympics were on? I'm not a racing fan, but NASCAR is pretty far down the list of things I can sit through.

I watched 2 hours of curling on Tuesday....IT WAS AWESOME!!! :lol:

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:01 pm

hosler427 wrote:
Phish Brigade wrote:

Good stuff Dan! When I made the curling comment I didn't expect to see anyone admit they watched it. It really isn't that bad. If I'm being honest, I've got a lot of curlers in my family. My cousin's team is in the national championships ( the Brier ) that will start two weeks from now.
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:21 pm

Phish Brigade wrote:
hosler427 wrote:
Phish Brigade wrote: Tsk tsk... you mean to tell me you suffered through 4 hours of left turns when the Olympics were on? I'm not a racing fan, but NASCAR is pretty far down the list of things I can sit through.

Good stuff Dan! When I made the curling comment I didn't expect to see anyone admit they watched it. It really isn't that bad. If I'm being honest, I've got a lot of curlers in my family. My cousin's team is in the national championships ( the Brier ) that will start two weeks from now.

Its actually fun to watch I think, although it looks like the U.S team is choking pretty bad, they just blew a game to Switzerland earlier today.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:45 pm

Phish Brigade wrote: Tsk tsk... you mean to tell me you suffered through 4 hours of left turns when the Olympics were on? I'm not a racing fan, but NASCAR is pretty far down the list of things I can sit through.
Saying that racing is just hours of left turns is like saying basketball is just watching people running back and forth.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:28 pm

skip wrote:
Saying that racing is just hours of left turns is like saying basketball is just watching people running back and forth.
Touche. Certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. Nascar is widely popular, just not with me.
GDF3
K- Cundiff, Novak