Problem with an owner

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:35 am

You can't possibly have a rule to cover every possible contingency. You just have to have a commish who can rationally look at each situation as it arises and consider the long term effects of an action before you take it.

In the case of this thread, I would just openly riducule the owner, and invite others to do it. When his master plan backfires on him in a week or two, really blast him, and it will teach him to do that again.

Rather than coming up with some petty penalty for the owner, come up with a rule or policy that will prevent this in the future. For instance, if it's a money league, pay $1 per win, or pay the top three or five teams for being the top scorers each week. That way he's giving up a little instant cash to run this scheme. An easier fix would be that if someone submits an incomplete or illegal lineup, then the previous week's lineup is used.

-oo-

MEGSAGolf
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby MEGSAGolf » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:56 am

This is a tricky topic, as has been detailed in the other thread I started. I really agree that a commish needs to look at each situation objectively, and maintain the integrity of the league. You can't cover every contingency, no way. The trick is, how do you change the situation without it seeming petty? I don't know about you guys, but if a manager wants to tank the last week of a season in any of my leagues, $1 won't sway him either way. If you do $1 per point even, not everybody has that kind of cahs, and the people who are really trying should not be unduly penalized.
12 Team League

QB: Luck, Bradford
RB: AP, McCoy, Arian Foster, Ben Tate, Ryan Mathews, Dwyer, Best (IR)
WR: Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Brandon Marshall, Jennings, TB Mike Williams, Demaryius Thomas, Josh Gordon, Alshon Jeffery
TE: Graham
D: Texans, Eagles

2013 Picks: (1) 1st round pick
2014 Picks: (2) 1st round picks, (2) 2nd round picks - (1) is a conditional that could become a 1st, (1) 3rd round pick

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:23 pm

MEGSAGolf wrote:This is a tricky topic, as has been detailed in the other thread I started. I really agree that a commish needs to look at each situation objectively, and maintain the integrity of the league. You can't cover every contingency, no way. The trick is, how do you change the situation without it seeming petty? I don't know about you guys, but if a manager wants to tank the last week of a season in any of my leagues, $1 won't sway him either way. If you do $1 per point even, not everybody has that kind of cahs, and the people who are really trying should not be unduly penalized.

hes just a bad owner.... next.

Fletch_F_Fletch
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby Fletch_F_Fletch » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:14 pm

moneyballer wrote:Brady:

I agree with Skip and Dan above. I don't see how you can mete out punishment in this situation when you have no bylaws. The best thing to do in this situation is to talk to him and tell him this is not how the league is meant to be played. Then, in the off-season write some rules to cover situations like this in the future. The absolute worse thing to do would be to take away one of his draft picks for an unwritten rule.
You could look at this the other way too... the league was formed by word-of-mouth gentlemen agreements. Not having written rules makes it EASIER to "fine" the guy, if that's what you (and others?) want to do and/or if what he did is outside of those league-forming conversations (i.e., the "spirit" of the league). Moreover, he blatantly tanked a game and admitted as much. If you want to fine him a pick, there's nothing stopping you (except, perhaps, him walking from the league, in which case you have to bring in a more scrupulous owner).

That said. I favor a well-drafted league constitution and am not in favor of unfettered comish powers. But in this case, not having written rules may not prevent you from reigning in an owner who stepped over the line.
Q -- "What kind of name is 'Poon' anyway?" A -- "Commanche Indian."

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:34 pm

Regardless of what happens, I think Brady has to get some kind of constitution put together for next year. I think that's pretty clear.

I agree with the others, creating a penalty for something that wasn't exactly breaking the rules could be perceived as unfair. But if benching his entire team had any impact on at least 1 other owner... that's a big problem. And that would justify a penalty for violating an unwritten rule in my opinion.
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:11 pm

Phish Brigade wrote: any impact on at least 1 other owner... that's a big problem. And that would justify a penalty for violating an unwritten rule in my opinion.
agree. If it doesnt HURT anybody then a penalty is not justified with no concrete ruling in place.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:17 pm

princevincexoxo wrote:
Phish Brigade wrote: any impact on at least 1 other owner... that's a big problem. And that would justify a penalty for violating an unwritten rule in my opinion.
agree. If it doesnt HURT anybody then a penalty is not justified with no concrete ruling in place.
I agree the effects of it have to be taken into consideration but the action alone is the issue. I am of the belief that you can't justly penalize the owner without a rule in place as well. I agree that the commish has to objectively rule over situations but when you have nothing guiding his actions you are asking for problems.

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:33 pm

hosler427 wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote:
I agree the effects of it have to be taken into consideration but the action alone is the issue. I am of the belief that you can't justly penalize the owner without a rule in place as well. I agree that the commish has to objectively rule over situations but when you have nothing guiding his actions you are asking for problems.
you just have to have guidlines and rules in place to say hey... it says right here you cant do this... if you dont its human nature to cut corners... even the best people/employees will do it if they think it betters THEM... put something in place, and let the guy know its pretty crappy... that alone should deter alot of folks from doing it.. but some it wont. thats why the rules need to be in writing.

didnt want to reply but maybe hes not a bad owner, just wants to better his chances of winning... which is a natural instinct i guess.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:07 pm

princevincexoxo wrote:
I'm hoping that's the only reason why said owner did what he did. I understand the logic, but the way he went about doing it is pretty shady. He could have made it less obvious. And that in itself is begging for a defined set of rules to be in place for next year.
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:36 pm

Phish Brigade wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote:
I'm hoping that's the only reason why said owner did what he did. I understand the logic, but the way he went about doing it is pretty shady. He could have made it less obvious. And that in itself is begging for a defined set of rules to be in place for next year.
i actually prefer the fact that he was being honest... to him he wasnt violating any rules so he didnt see a problem with it. i prefer the honest part, but not the part about him throwing the game on purpose.

Who Dey~Cincy
Starter
Starter

Postby Who Dey~Cincy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:04 pm

Was it a written/discussed rule? No.

Then there is nothing you can do about it, like others have said its not smart to take away a draft pick for a rule that was not written down.

This doesn't really hurt anyone in the league (othert then for draft positon) and consiering that all playoff spots were already decided justg the seeding for the last games it was very smart of him to do this and get the matchup that works the best for him.

I am not going to praise him for doing what is a unwritten rule but it is not written down and if it was never discussed you can't do anything other then laugh if he gets kicked out in the 1st round.

NOTE: It was actually a very witty thing if youy think about it....

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:06 pm

Who Dey~Cincy wrote:Was it a written/discussed rule? No.

Then there is nothing you can do about it, like others have said its not smart to take away a draft pick for a rule that was not written down.

This doesn't really hurt anyone in the league (othert then for draft positon) and consiering that all playoff spots were already decided justg the seeding for the last games it was very smart of him to do this and get the matchup that works the best for him.

I am not going to praise him for doing what is a unwritten rule but it is not written down and if it was never discussed you can't do anything other then laugh if he gets kicked out in the 1st round.

i agree as well.

and is CINCY GOING TO WIN THE DIVISION!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? man wouldnt that be sweet?

Who Dey~Cincy
Starter
Starter

Postby Who Dey~Cincy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:06 pm

Oh ya and after readin through a few more posts a few more things to say:

I agree that it was good that he came clean and did not make up an exuse about why he did it, he knew perfectly well what he was doing at that given time and did not try to hide it, he didnt veen try to set a bad lineup with his worst players he just went with not filling it out basically. he didn't hide it and you ahve to be thankful that you didnt get into a spot where he had strated all his 3rd stringers, and then tried to hide it.

I would then think that he should be punished in the case above but in this case I do not think he should

Who Dey~Cincy
Starter
Starter

Postby Who Dey~Cincy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:07 pm

[quote="thewhyterabbit"][quote="Who Dey~Cincy"]Was it a written/discussed rule? No.

NOTE: It was actually a very witty thing if youy think about it....[/quote]

i agree as well.

and is CINCY GOING TO WIN THE DIVISION!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? man wouldnt that be sweet?[/quote]

I hope so man!!!!

Thank you to the Raiders.....somewhat.....

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:12 pm

Who Dey~Cincy wrote:
thewhyterabbit wrote:
Who Dey~Cincy wrote:Was it a written/discussed rule? No.

i agree as well.

and is CINCY GOING TO WIN THE DIVISION!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? man wouldnt that be sweet?
I hope so man!!!!

Thank you to the Raiders.....somewhat.....
haha its all good, i know how it can be bad sometimes because im a falcons fan, about time those steelers fans felt what we feel most of the time!!! i actually love watching palmer throw the ball... and benson this year has been a new man... i just hope he doesnt descend into nothingness again... which is what im thinking will happen :( ... but ill drink a cold one hoping he doesnt.