Aidan O'Connell: The Man, The Myth, The Legend

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

What is O'Connell's outlook?

Legend - not necessarily Brady level, but a 10yr starter who would be startable in fantasy playoffs
18%
Myth - average to above average like JimmyG
19%
Man - decent backend starter material
29%
Flop - Mr Clipboard or bounced out altogether
34%

Total votes: 62

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Re: Aidan O'Connell: The Man, The Myth, The Legend

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:24 am

If they want to keep (Adams) or even bring in potential FA are we sure AOC is going to do attract them?

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:21 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:05 am Let's be clear. AOC lead them to a win yesterday. They won… AOC's performance… it took an elite performance to sneak out the win, along with a few well timed, well blocked run plays.

Pierce isn't even guaranteed to come back next year, but if they play well the next few games, I hope he does. I can't see how they upgrade the QB position, but… "it's obvious" that AOC is the 2024 week 1 starter right now. It's week 16 of the 2023 season, he's a 4th round rookie with… mobility.

AOC balls out these next 2 games.
Couldn’t agree more.

Tom Brady throw 4 INTs in a game in his 2nd season. This is AOC’s 1st season. He managed the game at an elite level, with zero interceptions, and won. A master class at how to play the QB position imo.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:28 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:21 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:05 am Let's be clear. AOC lead them to a win yesterday. They won… AOC's performance… it took an elite performance to sneak out the win, along with a few well timed, well blocked run plays.

Pierce isn't even guaranteed to come back next year, but if they play well the next few games, I hope he does. I can't see how they upgrade the QB position, but… "it's obvious" that AOC is the 2024 week 1 starter right now. It's week 16 of the 2023 season, he's a 4th round rookie with… mobility.

Couldn’t agree more.

Tom Brady throw 4 INTs in a game in his 2nd season. This is AOC’s 1st season. He managed the game at an elite level, with zero interceptions, and won. A master class at how to play the QB position imo.
Very good point. You literally cannot throw an interception if you do not throw a pass.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:29 pm

Anteaters wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:04 amAnyone can say off the cuff that AOC isn't as good as they want a starting QB to be. My question is, what's the truly obviously better alternative?
38yo flacco, for example.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:33 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:24 am If they want to keep (Adams) or even bring in potential FA are we sure AOC is going to do attract them?
I feel like Adams is already a Jet, and it's just a matter of time and the formality of signing the trade documents. :sick:

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:10 pm

We can look at the history of taking a QB after pick 1.20 and see it's a landfill of trash quarterbacks. Unless a GM has a mountain of faith in a QB that's still around after 1.20, it makes much more sense to take any other position. Because other positions have a better success rate between 1.20 and 2.30 than do QBs. A smart GM won't waste such an early pick because the team "needs" a QB.

Forcing a QB into a earlier pick than his talent dictates is the dumbest thing for a GM to do. It literally is wasting a pick. It should only ever be contemplated when a team has a surplus of 1st and 2nd round picks. Even then it's not really wise.

And YES I'm sure someone is going to say "what about _______" who was a second round success story. Ok, good luck building your GM resume with 2nd round QBs.
killer_of_giants wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:29 pm38yo flacco, for example.
I've always been a bigger fan of Flacco than most analysts and fans seem to be. I don't think he's a terrible option, but I don't know if a 38 year old backup QB is what LV is really looking for next year. Or will he be 39 by then?
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:16 pm

and the record on day 3 QB's is that great? AOC ain't it. There are quite a few QB's in this class that are better than him, and they should consider taking one over AOC, because AOC isn't a franchise QB.

The idea they should just sit back and accept him as the guy is patently absurd. He's done nothing to earn the starters role next season. They absolutely have to upgrade the QB room if they ever want to consider being a team that can compete for a Lombardi.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:19 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:21 pm

Couldn’t agree more.

This is just trolling at this point. I know you're not this obtuse. He didn't complete a pass over the final 3 quarters and the D scored 2 TD's. THEY won, and he was along for the ride.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:32 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:19 pmThis is just trolling at this point. I know you're not this obtuse. He didn't complete a pass over the final 3 quarters and the D scored 2 TD's. THEY won, and he was along for the ride.
There are worse things that can happen to a team than to have a great defensive performance and a very good running game performance AND have a QB not screw that up. Just ask Atlanta or the Jets about that.

I'm not saying AOC is Brady (yet) but a second-year professional AOC (with over half a season's seasoning) is almost certainly better than any QB that's going to be available in the 2024 second round.

OTOH, if you say the Raiders are going to trade their 2023 1st + 2024 1st + odds&ends and move up into the T6 and grab one of the better QB rookies, then I'll say that guy might be better than AOC. But would you as a Raiders fan advocate for your team to give up what it's going to take to move up that high? Even if you're for it, I don't think Raiders management will agree to do it.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:48 pm

CGW wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:13 am They absolutely have the chance to draft a QB with their first or 2nd round selection. They won't get the top three without trading up, but they could land Penix, McCarthy, or Nix. Honestly, I could see any of them taking over for AOC rather quickly.
Just a gut feeling, but I think this is likely to happen in LV. We'll see though.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:01 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:48 pm
CGW wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:13 am They absolutely have the chance to draft a QB with their first or 2nd round selection. They won't get the top three without trading up, but they could land Penix, McCarthy, or Nix. Honestly, I could see any of them taking over for AOC rather quickly.
Just a gut feeling, but I think this is likely to happen in LV. We'll see though.
The jerseys would sell themselves in Vegas...

I need to grow up.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:54 pm

Penix envy may be AOC's downfall after the Huskies win the Natty. Surely the Dumb & Dumber clone owner of the LV Raiders will be swept up by the over hype of how much of a leader , yada yada , blah blah blah

The offensive line is the star of the Washington team. Penix is a poorer man's Tua ... Questionable arm strength, funky throwing motion but surrounded by winning matchups all over the field to distribute the ball & manage the offense , not carry it

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:17 pm

cazzie33 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:54 pm Penix envy may be AOC's downfall after the Huskies win the Natty. Surely the Dumb & Dumber clone owner of the LV Raiders will be swept up by the over hype of how much of a leader , yada yada , blah blah blah

The offensive line is the star of the Washington team. Penix is a poorer man's Tua ... Questionable arm strength, funky throwing motion but surrounded by winning matchups all over the field to distribute the ball & manage the offense , not carry it
Or, his downfall may be his own, atrocious play. 62 yards passing. One of the best defensive performances I've seen from my Raiders. They stole that game for the team.

I don't want to see another year of Maxx's prime wasted with a QB of this caliber, especially since the D actually looks rather good, lately. If AOC is actually a main reason they win the next 2 games, then I'll reconsider. Until then, his resume is just not good enough to warrant a starting job next year.

I'd expect the owner would feel similarly, too.
Janiel Dones Truther

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:51 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:17 pm his resume is just not good enough to warrant a starting job next year.
This is really all that needs to be said. He's a serviceable game manager. He isn't an answer to any important team question about their future.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:31 am

Guess he not getting the keys to the Carr role as starter & driver