AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Please explain the Jonnu Smith hype

Postby AussieMate » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:44 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:30 pm
AussieMate wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:39 pm
jenkins.math wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:52 pm

While Corey Davis has been a major fantasy dud the Titans organization is extremely happy with Corey Davis as their number 2 option, especially in their offense. If you look at a lot of their long plays, chances are you will find CD blocking downfield. Coaches and local beat writers have talked all offseason how they think working with Tannehill now will help Davis. Nobody around the organization has stated anything other than Brown and Davis are the 1-2 in the receiving game.

I'll be utterly shocked if Jonnu has more targets than CD next year. In fact, I bet Adam Humphries has more targets than Jonnu next season.
I'm of the mind that CD isn't good enough to garner a huge amount targets which would give Smith a larger piece of the receiving pie if he has developed like the news coming out of camp implies, not arguing that CD won't be the no2 receiver there. If Smith can't beat out Humphries than I'd be concerned.
How about AJB, who only got 84 targets last season? I don't see CD getting any less than the 69 targets he got last season. With AJB's target share going up, CD's staying the same (and could easily go up with added rapport with Tannehill) I don't see a lot of targets left over for Jonnu unless he overtakes CD on the totem pole (which, again, is just not something you should expect). Everything from history, to training camp still has CD firmly locked in as the #2 option of that offense.
Walker gives over another 30ish targets (obvs all 30 won't go to Smith) combined with my thinking that the Titans will need to throw more this year (my personal opinion) than they did in 201. Also I didn't realise CD only had 69 targets although it shouldn't shock me as I own him and that seems about right, maybe I should project Smith to out target CD if all he could muster was 69.
You've convinced me, CD is now the no.3 receiver with Smith becoming Tanny's fav non Brown target!!!!!

edit: just to be clear I'm playing with you a fair bit there, I knew they didn't pass a lot but looking at their target share I can't believe its that low, top 2 receivers almost had less targets than Thomas had receptions!!!! 153 Brown/CD - 149recpt Mthomas :surprised:

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:58 pm

AussieMate wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:44 pm
Walker gives over another 30ish targets (obvs all 30 won't go to Smith) combined with my thinking that the Titans will need to throw more this year (my personal opinion) than they did in 201. Also I didn't realise CD only had 69 targets although it shouldn't shock me as I own him and that seems about right, maybe I should project Smith to out target CD if all he could muster was 69.
You've convinced me, CD is now the no.3 receiver with Smith becoming Tanny's fav non Brown target!!!!!

edit: just to be clear I'm playing with you a fair bit there, I knew they didn't pass a lot but looking at their target share I can't believe its that low, top 2 receivers almost had less targets than Thomas had receptions!!!! 153 Brown/CD - 149recpt Mthomas :surprised:
:thumbup:

Yea the Titan's passing volume was ridiculously low last year. It was the perfect storm of a great running game, positive game script to milk clock, and an above average defense.

I do expect volume to go up across the board as their passing volume regresses towards the mean; NFL offense that passed < 500 times on average had 40 more pass attempts the next season (or something like that).

If things break right for Jonnu I could see him breaking out.. but that would likely require CD or AJB to miss time.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:55 pm

ESPN's Turron Davenport believes Jonnu Smith is "the player most likely to experience a breakout season for the Titans."
Smith has the athleticism and now has the starting role to have a career-best season. Currently being drafted as a mid-range fantasy TE2, Smith needs to earn more targets to crack the TE1 borderline in standard-sized leagues. The Titans are expected to finish bottom-five in total pass attempts and A.J. Brown figures to soak up a large share of them. If Smith earns those secondary looks, he's an obvious breakout candidate. For now, it's best to treat him as a TE2.
StocksUp.gif

What we've been saying all along, pretty much.

"As good a dice roll as any"

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:21 am

Please explain the Jonnu Smith hype
i really like the name Jonnu.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:39 am

Zacsby
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Zacsby » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:33 pm

First time visiting this thread but I could have told y'all Jonnu was baby Delanie last season!
12 Team SF IDP
QB - Mahomes, Goff, Mac
RB - Etienne, Walker, Montgomery, Rhamondre, Hubbard, Akers, Gainwell
WR - Tyreek, AJB, Nico, Gabe, Elijah Moore
TE - Engram, Juwan
DL - TJ Watt, Josh Allen, Quinnen Williams, Highsmith
LB - Singleton, Devin Lloyd, Ernest Jones, Lavonte David
DB - Winfield, Julian Love, Delpit, Blankenship

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:07 pm

Let's enjoy this. Dude is a baller.

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:12 pm

I was high on Jonnu and had him stashed in all my leagues. Unfortunately I didn't expect the Tennessee situation to change anytime soon and roster restrictions forced me to drop him before Tanny came along.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:20 pm

steelman wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:12 pm I was high on Jonnu and had him stashed in all my leagues. Unfortunately I didn't expect the Tennessee situation to change anytime soon and roster restrictions forced me to drop him before Tanny came along.
Drop.... Him....

Explain why to me, like I am 5 years old lol.

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:29 pm

Bot101 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:20 pm
steelman wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:12 pm I was high on Jonnu and had him stashed in all my leagues. Unfortunately I didn't expect the Tennessee situation to change anytime soon and roster restrictions forced me to drop him before Tanny came along.
Drop.... Him....

Because I needed the roster spot and all my other players, at the time, were better than him.
His trade value in my leagues was non-existent.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:30 pm

steelman wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:29 pm
Bot101 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:20 pm
Drop.... Him....

Because I needed the roster spot and all my other players, at the time, were better than him.
His trade value in my leagues was non-existent.

Unacceptable. Explain to me like I am 4 then :D

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:52 pm

TE's ahead of Jonnu Smith in fantasy points through 5 weeks, Standard/0.5 PPR:

- Travis Kelce (58.5 / 74.5)
- Mark Andrews (52.2 / 61.2)
- JONNU SMITH, DYNASTY TE1 (52.1 / 61.1)

... and that's with one less game played than both of them.

Congratulations to all those that bought in this offseason, and double points if it was because of reading this thread. :)

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:05 pm

They recede into the darkness

TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Postby TimeWillTell » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:35 am

I can't believe I dropped him at roster cuts and kept Herndon. Stupid. Not in trying to buy him back and the price is Pittman+Late 2nd. Ugh
2020, 2021, 2022 Champion!
12 Team 1QB 0.5 PPR 30 man roster
Start: 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1Def
QB: Mahomes, Brady, Stafford
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Jacobs
WR: Chase, Jefferson, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Olave, Dotson, Mike Evans
TE: Hock, Dulcich, Chig, Fant, Jonnu, Hurst, Everett
K: Some guy
Def: Who knows
1.01, 1.03

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:20 pm

TimeWillTell wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:35 am I can't believe I dropped him at roster cuts and kept Herndon. Stupid. Not in trying to buy him back and the price is Pittman+Late 2nd. Ugh
Well, my little victory lap jinxed him and now he's injured, so maybe there's a buy window again... :cry:

But no, he's a top 5 TE r.o.s easily - with TE being such a wasteland this year nobody should be giving him up.