RBBC in Kansas City

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Re: RBBC in Kansas City

Postby Lord_Varys » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:24 pm

Phaded wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:36 pm With Darwin Thompson flashing and him being a scat back in the Tarik Cohen mold, how much does that limit the receiving upside of Williams because let's face it - that is where a bulk of his production comes from?
I researched and learned KC only targeted RB 97 times in 2018, 25th in the league. Only 12 more targets than the Titans, who were last. I could not believe it.

There were 114 targets in 2017. Hunt led with 63. Chark had 34.

So it's a trend of Reid's, it seems -- he doesn't target RBs as frequently as Payton or Belichick. But he does dial up very high quality opportunities, when he does.

In Damien Williams 2018 starts, he had 5, 6, 7, 1, 6, 8 targets. Throw out the 1, it was Wk 17 vs OAK and starters rested. That's just over 6 per game, on pace for 102 over a full year, fairly representative of a full year's pace for the team. Darrell Williams had 3 total targets down that whole stretch run, so Williams essentially had the 6 targets per game to himself. It's a small pie, but he had all of it.

Back to your question. Yes. Darwin could steal 2 targets per game, and Williams falls from 96 to 64 per year (6/g vs 4/g). That's a LOT. Like 700 yards vs 400.

KC had 387 rushing attempts. Mahomes had 60, Tyreek had 22. Leaves about 300 total for RBs, 18.8 per game.
I figure Hyde for about 5-6. Darwin for 1-2. Damien may only get 12-13 carries and 4 targets a game.

You're looking at like 900 rush yds and 400 rec yds for Damien. If he stays healthy.

Just grab Darwin and wait for Damien to get hurt. Hyde's not going to start because he's a complete zero in the passing game, and as you can see, this is a pass-first team.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Lord_Varys wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:24 pm
Phaded wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:36 pm With Darwin Thompson flashing and him being a scat back in the Tarik Cohen mold, how much does that limit the receiving upside of Williams because let's face it - that is where a bulk of his production comes from?
I researched and learned KC only targeted RB 97 times in 2018, 25th in the league. Only 12 more targets than the Titans, who were last. I could not believe it.

So it's a trend of Reid's, it seems -- he doesn't target RBs as frequently as Payton or Belichick. But he does dial up very high quality opportunities, when he does.

In Damien Williams 2018 starts, he had 5, 6, 7, 1, 6, 8 targets. Throw out the 1, it was Wk 17 vs OAK and starters rested. That's just over 6 per game, on pace for 102 over a full year, fairly representative of a full year's pace for the team. Darrell Williams had 3 total targets down that whole stretch run, so Williams essentially had the 6 targets per game to himself. It's a small pie, but he had all of it.

Back to your question. Yes. Darwin could steal 2 targets per game, and Williams falls from 96 to 64 per year (6/g vs 4/g). That's a LOT. Like 700 yards vs 400.

KC had 387 rushing attempts. Mahomes had 60, Tyreek had 22. Leaves about 300 total for RBs, 18.8 per game.
I figure Hyde for about 5-6. Darwin for 1-2. Damien may only get 12-13 carries and 4 targets a game.

You're looking at like 900 rush yds and 400 rec yds for Damien. If he stays healthy.

Just grab Darwin and wait for Damien to get hurt. Hyde's not going to start because he's a complete zero in the passing game, and as you can see, this is a pass-first team.
Hyde has caught 59 passes in a season before, so maybe a complete zero is exaggerating matters some?
I like Darwin as a prospect too, but things are getting silly after one preseason game against 3rd stringers where he looked ok.
I would take this offseason and that game as a positive and feel good about owning Thompson if you were shrewd enough to grab him later in drafts or acquire for nothing earlier this offseason. I would NOT take it as a sign that you should go buy him for the early 2nd/late 1st value people have been trying to bump him to, and would sell for that if the opportunity presents.

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:11 pm

I think this analysis is pretty good. If healthy 1300 total yards with 30ish receptions and some tds for Damien in the ppr league I own him in would put him right around rb 12 territory. I like.

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:17 pm

Darwin went 2.4 in a friends draft a couple days ago. Feeling like that is high.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:19 pm

Phaded wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:36 pm *applause*

Maybe the timeout approach that teachers often use on toddlers will benefit the post quality.

I am all for a healthy debate but some people simply cannot healthily disagree and need to insist they are right.

Now, to try and get back on topic..

With Darwin Thompson flashing and him being a scat back in the Tarik Cohen mold, how much does that limit the receiving upside of Williams because let's face it - that is where a bulk of his production comes from?
I don't see it being enough to be consistently relevant. Having two players in Williams and Thompson who have respectable receiving instincts gives you a bunch of options in terms of selling a play. It's why I don't see Hyde playing a ton, because he's purely an early-down back.

Right now, it remains clear that Williams has the most projectable role of any of these backs. He's going to play a lot. I think it's going to alternate between Thompson and Hyde depending on game script.

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:20 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:00 pm Hyde has caught 59 passes in a season before, so maybe a complete zero is exaggerating matters some?
In Shanahan's system, that's low rec totals for the starting RB. He's not a good route runner, he drops passes, and he's not explosive. Hyde is a strong downhill banger but that's it at that point. End of day it's just my evaluation, but I believe Darwin is working his way up and would get a chance at the bulk of targets if Damien goes down.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:24 pm

Lord_Varys wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:20 pm
sugbear65 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:00 pm Hyde has caught 59 passes in a season before, so maybe a complete zero is exaggerating matters some?
In Shanahan's system, that's low rec totals for the starting RB. He's not a good route runner, he drops passes, and he's not explosive. Hyde is a strong downhill banger but that's it at that point. End of day it's just my evaluation, but I believe Darwin is working his way up and would get a chance at the bulk of targets if Damien goes down.
Correct. Hyde basically feasted on check downs. He wasn't doing much in terms of running good routes or anything. I don't expect any passing involvement for him in KC. They have two better receiving backs. Hyde's value should be short yardage work.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:47 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:24 pm
Lord_Varys wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:20 pm
Correct. Hyde basically feasted on check downs. He wasn't doing much in terms of running good routes or anything. I don't expect any passing involvement for him in KC. They have two better receiving backs. Hyde's value should be short yardage work.
Well you guys will have to, because I’m not telling him -

“For a running back like me who likes to catch the ball . . . it would be like a dream come true,” Hyde said per ESPN’s Adam Teicher. “It’s not just a one-dimensional running back here. You do it all. You line up at receiver. You actually run routes. You’re not just a decoy. . .You really get to showcase your ability. I didn’t know they used the running back so much in the passing game until I got here. It put a smile on my face.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ca ... ar-AACVv6C

knotts4372
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby knotts4372 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:05 pm

Huh wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:17 pm Darwin went 2.4 in a friends draft a couple days ago. Feeling like that is high.
yeah im on the record for liking darwin alot and think hes the top guy to own for the chiefs but even i think thats way too high to draft him. chiefs are still VERY likely to draft a rb early next year so even if thompson does put work in and take the job from damien williams (which i fully expect him to do) he will still have plenty of competition next year. actually im more worried about the perceived competiton he will have next year than the actual competition he does have this year
DLF hall of famers 16 teams 25 man roster
http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... =07&F=0016

IRONCLAD 16 teams 40 man rosters http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/133985/teams/

@donnynutz on twitter

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:20 pm

For future reference you can click on another users name and then click on add to foe list, I blocked dumdum a few days ago when he started calling everyone a troll who disagreed with him. First guy I've ever blocked but I found I was less likely to join in on a thread if he had commented as he was getting on my nerves and I just can't be bothered getting into an argument.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:31 pm

I just want to give you props. This is pretty good stuff.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:58 pm

Reading all of these "wait for Williams to get injured" takes is weird. Williams has a light injury history and at 5'11, 225 has good size for the position. His chances of injury are about the same as any RB.

Are there no concerns about a 5'8, sub 200 RB getting injured with a full workload? If there's an injury, I expect Hyde/Thompson to split 50/50. I just really don't see a scenario where Thompson is carrying a full workload. He's not that type of player. He's smaller and less talented than a player like Duke Johnson, who's been a COP back his entire career.

knotts4372
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby knotts4372 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:12 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:58 pm Reading all of these "wait for Williams to get injured" takes is weird. Williams has a light injury history and at 5'11, 225 has good size for the position. His chances of injury are about the same as any RB.

Are there no concerns about a 5'8, sub 200 RB getting injured with a full workload? If there's an injury, I expect Hyde/Thompson to split 50/50. I just really don't see a scenario where Thompson is carrying a full workload. He's not that type of player. He's smaller and less talented than a player like Duke Johnson, who's been a COP back his entire career.
i dont think any of the rbs will be getting a full workload so i dont have injury concerns for darwin thompson really. i dont think any rb gets over 15 touches a game really.
DLF hall of famers 16 teams 25 man roster
http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... =07&F=0016

IRONCLAD 16 teams 40 man rosters http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/133985/teams/

@donnynutz on twitter

usps33
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby usps33 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:26 pm

Google “Darron Lee obliterates Darwin Thompson”, there is a short video clip, less than 10 seconds, where Thompson gets destroyed by Lee in a team drill. Maybe just a fluke play but still surprised to see that happen to the mighty Darwin Thompson.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:32 pm

usps33 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:26 pm Google “Darron Lee obliterates Darwin Thompson”, there is a short video clip, less than 10 seconds, where Thompson gets destroyed by Lee in a team drill. Maybe just a fluke play but still surprised to see that happen to the mighty Darwin Thompson.
That's already been talked about (page 6).

Here he is attempting the same thing in a preseason game: https://twitter.com/ClayWendler/status/ ... 98177?s=19
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134