Training Camp HYPE 2023 (only football)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Training Camp HYPE 2023 (only football)

Postby mild » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:36 pm

Ice wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:45 pm Not a direct shot at you and I guess he could try that but; Players are not wired that way. They have a short window as is and owners are not going to pay a RB that quits on his team. He does that nonsense and he will be on a prove it deal best case.

That mindset my sound all right in internet chat but it is so far from realistic in life it is laughable.
https://overthecap.com/player/leveon-bell/2258

It literally happened.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:42 pm

mild wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:36 pm
Ice wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:45 pm Not a direct shot at you and I guess he could try that but; Players are not wired that way. They have a short window as is and owners are not going to pay a RB that quits on his team. He does that nonsense and he will be on a prove it deal best case.

That mindset my sound all right in internet chat but it is so far from realistic in life it is laughable.

It literally happened.
Franchise tag, though. He wasn't under contract. He never signed anything. So not really the same thing as quitting on your contract that you signed. He also said he regretted it. The Jets likely did too. I don't think JT is going to play 6 games and then walk away, and I am still not convinced there isn't still some breach of contract there. If it were that simple, surely it would have been talked about in NFL circles, in media by now, no? Fines are accrued daily in camp for not being with the team, surely there must be something in there about players going AWOL.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:01 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:42 pm

It literally happened.
Franchise tag, though. He wasn't under contract. He never signed anything. So not really the same thing as quitting on your contract that you signed. He also said he regretted it. The Jets likely did too. I don't think JT is going to play 6 games and then walk away, and I am still not convinced there isn't still some breach of contract there. If it were that simple, surely it would have been talked about in NFL circles, in media by now, no? Fines are accrued daily in camp for not being with the team, surely there must be something in there about players going AWOL.
"That mindset my sound all right in internet chat but it is so far from realistic in life it is laughable."

Uh huh. :thumbup:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:48 pm

mild wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:01 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:42 pm

It literally happened.
"That mindset my sound all right in internet chat but it is so far from realistic in life it is laughable."

If Leveon Bell is a role model for any RB then they have more issues than we thought! 😎
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

frerichs5
MVP
MVP

Postby frerichs5 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:02 pm

Without arguing whether anyone should/shouldn’t hold out, play 6 games and then sit, etc…..

Admittedly it’s a different situation, but I don’t see how a RB playing 6 games and calling it quits would be any different than Calvin Ridley a couple years ago when he needed “personal time”. I don’t recall any breach of contract, but maybe I missed it.

And again, not debating whether they should or shouldn’t do it. Just adding for discussion on the breach of contract that was mentioned.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:11 pm

Ice wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:48 pm
mild wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:01 pm "That mindset my sound all right in internet chat but it is so far from realistic in life it is laughable."

If Leveon Bell is a role model for any RB then they have more issues than we thought! 😎
On the other hand, it's always funny when a middle/old-aged white guy (from Texas!) on a Fantasy Football forum proffers to know the mindset of black 24-year-old millionaire-athletes with absolute certainty...

At least we'll have actual games to talk about soon. I think I'd rather watch grass grow than hear the "experts" around here weigh in on Jacobs and JT's contracts for the 171st time.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:11 pm

frerichs5 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:02 pm Without arguing whether anyone should/shouldn’t hold out, play 6 games and then sit, etc…..

Admittedly it’s a different situation, but I don’t see how a RB playing 6 games and calling it quits would be any different than Calvin Ridley a couple years ago when he needed “personal time”. I don’t recall any breach of contract, but maybe I missed it.

And again, not debating whether they should or shouldn’t do it. Just adding for discussion on the breach of contract that was mentioned.
Ridley wouldn't have accrued a year had he left and not returned all year, but he also got suspended for gambling, so he didn't accrue a year. He's still playing on the final year of his rookie deal this year.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

frerichs5
MVP
MVP

Postby frerichs5 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:23 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:11 pm
frerichs5 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:02 pm Without arguing whether anyone should/shouldn’t hold out, play 6 games and then sit, etc…..

Ridley wouldn't have accrued a year had he left and not returned all year, but he also got suspended for gambling, so he didn't accrue a year. He's still playing on the final year of his rookie deal this year.
Agreed, because he hadn’t played 6 games. I’m just saying I don’t recall any breach of contract discussion when he left the team initially.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:29 pm

frerichs5 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:23 pm

Agreed, because he hadn’t played 6 games. I’m just saying I don’t recall any breach of contract discussion when he left the team initially.
No, but they were initially supporting him stepping away, as well, so different than a player walking away from the team after he'd accrued a year in order to try and be FA the next year. Had Ridley stayed with the Falcons and returned at some point, during that 4th year and played
at least 6 games, they'd still have the 5th year option and, wouldn't have paid him for the missed games in the 4th year of his deal, so doubtful they'd have any intention of filing any sort of grievance.
Janiel Dones Truther

frerichs5
MVP
MVP

Postby frerichs5 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:31 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:29 pm
frerichs5 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:23 pm

No, but they were initially supporting him stepping away, as well, so different than a player walking away from the team after he'd accrued a year in order to try and be FA the next year. Had Ridley stayed with the Falcons and returned at some point, during that 4th year and played
at least 6 games, they'd still have the 5th year option and, wouldn't have paid him for the missed games in the 4th year of his deal, so doubtful they'd have any intention of filing any sort of grievance.
Makes sense. I can see that. So in your opinion playing 6 games and then sitting out is different than just holding out and playing final 6 games (something that has been discussed many times in the past with hold outs)?

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:33 pm

at that point they would just keep him off the active roster for one game and screw him (i think, or something like that anyway)

frerichs5
MVP
MVP

Postby frerichs5 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:44 pm

killer_of_giants wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:33 pm at that point they would just keep him off the active roster for one game and screw him (i think, or something like that anyway)
Not sure if there’s a special rule on this for holdouts. Might be. Probably some list to put him on so he isn’t part of the 53 during a holdout. Maybe some buffer zone before they are forced to add him to it.

I don’t think being inactive prevents accrual of a season though. Lots of 3rd string QBs on the roster that are never active during the season.

Anyway, I won’t derail this thread anymore. Lol

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:17 pm

mild wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:11 pm
Ice wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:48 pm
mild wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:01 pm "That mindset my sound all right in internet chat but it is so far from realistic in life it is laughable."

On the other hand, it's always funny when a middle/old-aged white guy (from Texas!) on a Fantasy Football forum proffers to know the mindset of black 24-year-old millionaire-athletes with absolute certainty...

At least we'll have actual games to talk about soon. I think I'd rather watch grass grow than hear the "experts" around here weigh in on Jacobs and JT's contracts for the 171st time.
Back to trolling from your mom's basement I see! Your tired shtick isn't really worth my time but I will leave your juvenile ways with this:

Well having a college education, knowing several current plus former players, and knowing a few scouts help confirm a basic conclusion even an idiot should reach is a plus for sure!

Anyone who actually believes feigning an injury hoping to get a better contract is a smart decision is an idiot and a fool IMO but do carry on.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:02 am

Breakout season incoming. If there was any doubt, this clearly settles it.

https://twitter.com/DoughertyDrew/statu ... 7664965838
Janiel Dones Truther

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:11 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:02 am Breakout season incoming. If there was any doubt, this clearly settles it.

https://twitter.com/DoughertyDrew/statu ... 7664965838
Pretty good coverage by coach