D'Andre Swift: Skilled but "soft"

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
waynesworld1234
Starter
Starter

Re: D'Andre Swift: Skilled but "soft"

Postby waynesworld1234 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:53 am

cazzie33 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:34 pm If you didn't see it in HARD KNOCKS (which I didn't watch all of it) as a local Detroit watcher Duce Staley in interviews basically questioned Swift's toughness in multiple interviews stressing the need to play through & know the difference between pain & injury. Only my opinion but I think the "kids gloves" treatment was a way to show him that they can get along w/o him if they can't trust him to be reliably available. Make him hungry for the opportunity to be "THE GUY"instead of thinking it was his by virtue of skillset or draft status. Obviously he is WAY MORE talented and capable of much more of a threat to defenses. MESSAGE RECEIVED IMHO !

The Ja-Mo ST use wasn't a rumor. Coaches said that was the plan but they never ended up punting
Dan "Man" Campbell isn't Bill Belichick. His job is on the line and if he thought Swift was ready and that having him on the field would help the team win, then Swift would have been on the field.

I think Swift runs hard between the hashes and then plays softer on the outside. He'll take it out of bounds to avoid the hit, but when he chooses to turn up field he runs hard. I don't fault him for that. I do agree that he looked despondent in Hard Knocks, but that's television and they have a story to tell. He seems animated on the sidelines, interested in the game, supports his RB room, etc.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:41 am

Campbell absolutely takes attitude into consideration. He set a tone from his very first press conference & is Mr. Kneecaps. RB coach Duce might be more so than Campbell .

Also DC is very loyal to those he trusts. You can tell Jamaal is one of the coaching staff's guys & a team leader. They want to exemplify grinding it out & toughness. Not a thing that Swift is known for. Campbell constantly talks about you get what you've "earned" and I believe that is the message they have sent Swift. Everyone knows he's the most talented but that isn't everything to this coaching staff & front office.

Chris Spielman as special consultant to the owners and major player in the front office said it from day one before hiring Campbell that he wanted a culture in the organization that we are all on the same page. They have stood by Aaron Glenn as defensive coordinator despite very poor results because they believe in the man. My take hearing the tone when speaking of Swift is they have questions about his commitment to playing through pain . That means in practice too. Until he earns that trust he will be relegated to the committee approach. They already know JW30 will run thru a wall but they also know that he's limited in comparison to Swift.

waynesworld1234
Starter
Starter

Postby waynesworld1234 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:49 am

cazzie33 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:41 am Campbell absolutely takes attitude into consideration. He set a tone from his very first press conference & is Mr. Kneecaps. RB coach Duce might be more so than Campbell .

Also DC is very loyal to those he trusts. You can tell Jamaal is one of the coaching staff's guys & a team leader. They want to exemplify grinding it out & toughness. Not a thing that Swift is known for. Campbell constantly talks about you get what you've "earned" and I believe that is the message they have sent Swift. Everyone knows he's the most talented but that isn't everything to this coaching staff & front office.

Chris Spielman as special consultant to the owners and major player in the front office said it from day one before hiring Campbell that he wanted a culture in the organization that we are all on the same page. They have stood by Aaron Glenn as defensive coordinator despite very poor results because they believe in the man. My take hearing the tone when speaking of Swift is they have questions about his commitment to playing through pain . That means in practice too. Until he earns that trust he will be relegated to the committee approach. They already know JW30 will run thru a wall but they also know that he's limited in comparison to Swift.
Makes sense. Thanks for the post!

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:21 pm

Limited at practice due to ankle injury... This has to be a joke right? Lets just hope he has earned his volume from the coaching staff and will continue to shine.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:04 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:21 pm Limited at practice due to ankle injury... This has to be a joke right? Lets just hope he has earned his volume from the coaching staff and will continue to shine.
Right on cue.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:15 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:04 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:21 pm Limited at practice due to ankle injury... This has to be a joke right? Lets just hope he has earned his volume from the coaching staff and will continue to shine.
Right on cue.
And today practiced in full, also right on cue.

If anyone knows what DeAndre Swifts practice statuses actually mean, feel free to tell us.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:17 pm

mild wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:15 pm
Right on cue.

If anyone knows what DeAndre Swifts practice statuses actually mean, feel free to tell us.
I feel like this says it all. It's hard to trust the guy and what kind of volume he is ready to receive not to mention what kind of volume the coaching staff are willing to give him. And the is the whole point of this thread it seems. You just cant count on the guy to be there week in and week out, unlike a guy like Ekeler you set and forget until he has a bye week.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:24 pm

Late to the thread and have not read much history, but do folks really think he will ever see a goal line touch based on Williams dominance there this year? That caps Swift from top tier before we talk about availability in my mind.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:02 pm

murphysxm wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:24 pm Late to the thread and have not read much history, but do folks really think he will ever see a goal line touch based on Williams dominance there this year? That caps Swift from top tier before we talk about availability in my mind.
He literally had a goal line td last weekend and thanksgiving weekend he was short by an inch on a 6ish yard run. Jamaal is an FA after this year so it is possible he chases a bag elsewhere. We’ve seen the lions move on from Hockenson because they don’t want to pay him.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:48 pm

Mike11 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:02 pm
murphysxm wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:24 pm Late to the thread and have not read much history, but do folks really think he will ever see a goal line touch based on Williams dominance there this year? That caps Swift from top tier before we talk about availability in my mind.
He literally had a goal line td last weekend and thanksgiving weekend he was short by an inch on a 6ish yard run. Jamaal is an FA after this year so it is possible he chases a bag elsewhere. We’ve seen the lions move on from Hockenson because they don’t want to pay him.
And the reason he was short was because Goff was very late on the throw, so the DB closed the gap. Didn't put it on him fast enough to give him a chance.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:33 pm

He’s at six TDs over 9 games where he was barely playing in several of those games. I’m not all that worried about it, no.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:29 pm

mild wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:15 pm
Right on cue.

He had touches that would be close to a lead back, and got dinged up, as usual. It's part and parcel my, man. Let's see if he gets 20-30 plus touches this week. Jacobs in constantly questionable, yet constantly getting 20-35 touches. There's a difference. Swift has not proven he can handle it. So when he comes out after more touches than he'd been given, and limited, it means more than a guy who proves he can take a workload consistently. Until this coaching staff believes Swift can handle a workload and play week to week without missing games, he's more likely to have his touches limited week to week.

Swift has never in his career shown the ability to be a true lead back type player. It's not difficult to understand. So when he does take that, and gets nicked up, they try and conserve him to be efficient, with less touches, unlike a true lead back who can still work through it.

The poster I was quoting made this comment earlier:

"Well that is the whole point of this thread, when healthy he has the talent to put up a great game. The question remains, can he continue to receive 14+ touches after this game and remain productive, history says he might have another game at this level then be held back by injuries to close out the season.

I really hope he can close out the season strong so I can sell in the offseason"

So I am speaking to the comment he made earlier, and how he always seems to get dinged up with significant touches, and this coaching staff hasn't shown trust in him being able to handle them, due to that. It's been an ongoing issue with Swift, and this staff, and his usage.

There you go, told you.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:20 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:29 pm There you go, told you.
Cool. I'm starting him with confidence this week. 8-)

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:55 am

mild wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:20 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:29 pm There you go, told you.
Cool. I'm starting him with confidence this week. 8-)
:lol: :wink:
Janiel Dones Truther

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:06 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:29 pm
He had touches that would be close to a lead back, and got dinged up, as usual. It's part and parcel my, man. Let's see if he gets 20-30 plus touches this week. Jacobs in constantly questionable, yet constantly getting 20-35 touches. There's a difference. Swift has not proven he can handle it. So when he comes out after more touches than he'd been given, and limited, it means more than a guy who proves he can take a workload consistently. Until this coaching staff believes Swift can handle a workload and play week to week without missing games, he's more likely to have his touches limited week to week.
I still don't get this critique, because it feels like we're comparing different levels of injuries and then using it to call Swift soft. Swift has missed games for legitimate injuries. He hasn't missed games because of a cut on his finger or some light ankle sprain.

Whatever the case is, he was clearly playing through something the past couple of weeks and seems to be getting back to where he wants to be. I just don't think it's realistic to penalize a player because they won't play through notable injuries, or they aren't capable of doing it well. That shouldn't be an expectation for a RB.