What questions do you ask as commissioner of a new league?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
basilthesnake
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: What questions do you ask as commissioner of a new leagu

Postby basilthesnake » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:14 pm

I googled an owners email and it showed me a bunch of 2013 dlf posts for startup 2014 leagues. I could find the link to the mfl page and when I changed from 2014 to 2015 page the league would be gone. Two leagues I saw that happen. One league he was the champion.

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:34 pm

I feel like i've already gotten quality owners--it seems like the extra "work" of applying is a sign of someone being more serious about being in a league. So far, I haven't turned away anyone that has applied, though I have had a few people ask about it but nothing more.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:27 pm

zfifelski wrote:I feel like i've already gotten quality owners--it seems like the extra "work" of applying is a sign of someone being more serious about being in a league. So far, I haven't turned away anyone that has applied, though I have had a few people ask about it but nothing more.
Thanks for letting me unknowingly steal your perspective owner application, I just sent it out to the first guy :thumbup:

I agree with putting in a little extra work to try to make sure you get the right guy for the league. I've hired many people in my professional life and it always is worth it when going through all the steps, I've just never thought of it in fantasy, this thread was a good idea.
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

lawilt
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lawilt » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:57 pm

basilthesnake wrote:Just revisited your help wanted post and you did indeed post details, sorry about that. Not sure why, but as an owner scouting leagues, I like to see the website before I commit.
X2

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:31 pm

^^^^ major complainer. Charge him double, lol.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:57 pm

bcoogan23 wrote:
zfifelski wrote:I feel like i've already gotten quality owners--it seems like the extra "work" of applying is a sign of someone being more serious about being in a league. So far, I haven't turned away anyone that has applied, though I have had a few people ask about it but nothing more.
Thanks for letting me unknowingly steal your perspective owner application, I just sent it out to the first guy :thumbup:

I agree with putting in a little extra work to try to make sure you get the right guy for the league. I've hired many people in my professional life and it always is worth it when going through all the steps, I've just never thought of it in fantasy, this thread was a good idea.

Well, I just had someone get somewhat offended at the whole process--he didn't like how I was asking people to tell me more about themselves before I provided more details on the league. So there's that.

Bad News Barrett
MVP
MVP

Postby Bad News Barrett » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:11 pm

I applied. I've been looking for a league like this. I'm down to only three leagues as one I joined last year collapsed
Finally on Twitter @dynastybarrett

"I'm afraid I've got some bad news"

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:17 pm

zfifelski wrote: Well, I just had someone get somewhat offended at the whole process--he didn't like how I was asking people to tell me more about themselves before I provided more details on the league. So there's that.
I copy-pasted your application Google document/form and emailed it to the guy who asked about the opening and this is word for word what he wrote back to me (I edited his name, city, league ID):

prospective new league member wrote: I'm (name) from (random city, USA), obviously my email is JohnDoe@gmail.com

I saw you post on DLF and I just finished my first season of dynasty in one league.

I'm currently in one league (I was in an IDP league that was disbanded after one year...wtf) Its a 12 team, PPR, 30 man rosters with .1 for return yards too with the following roster: (random MFL league page) Finished 3rd after running into David Johnson in the semis). Idk about any notable trades, maybe my R Cobb for Cooks and ARob before the season started (I really didn't want to give up Cobb, as I thought he'd be a stud this year but pulled the trigger anyway, thankfully). There were a couple other trades I pulled off to get Gio for CAP, Josh Robinson and 2nd and turning Latimer/Hardy into Matt Jones, and flipping him for DWill and '17 1st).

Regarding why I should be part of the league, I'm looking to add 1 or 2 leagues before next season, and I really think this team could be a solid team within the next couple years. I definitely think I'm one of the more active owners, not just in my own league.

The fact that you want all this info from me shows me that this is definitely a league I want to be a part of--i get the feeling any trade offer I send won't be ignored and other managers won't respond to groupme.

Let me know if there is anything else you need from me. I could go on more, but the moral of the story is I'm addicted to dynasty.
He wrote all that and was willing to offer more information, I take that as your league application is a success...

Guys like you and I that are highly visible on the forum should have no problem with finding new guys to fill our open spots, something like this application helps us to hopefully find the right guy the first time because we have plenty of info on him. This also makes it easier on the rest of my league as well because they wouldn't want me to fill the spot with a random guy that isn't a perfect fit that ends up not working out.

If they have a problem with giving you info then they probably weren't gonna work out anyways.
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

#WhoDat

Bad News Barrett
MVP
MVP

Postby Bad News Barrett » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:11 am

Coogan are you starting a new league? I'm looking for 1-2 more leagues, as I'm currently only in 3 and I'm dropping my two redrafts that I run this year, so I have a lot more room for fantasy football. Let me know

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:44 am

badnewsbarrett wrote:Coogan are you starting a new league? I'm looking for 1-2 more leagues, as I'm currently only in 3 and I'm dropping my two redrafts that I run this year, so I have a lot more room for fantasy football. Let me know
No, not a new league, just on the fence about replacing a guy in my league. Click the link in my sig
, Goodson, Pullard,

#WhoDat

lawilt
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lawilt » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:53 am

Bruiser wrote:^^^^ major complainer. Charge him double, lol.
Bruiser is illiterate and has never played in a league with me....dude is just mad because he doesn't know how to read someone's post
Last edited by lawilt on Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bad News Barrett
MVP
MVP

Postby Bad News Barrett » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:04 am

bcoogan23 wrote:
badnewsbarrett wrote:Coogan are you starting a new league? I'm looking for 1-2 more leagues, as I'm currently only in 3 and I'm dropping my two redrafts that I run this year, so I have a lot more room for fantasy football. Let me know
No, not a new league, just on the fence about replacing a guy in my league. Click the link in my sig
I see you have a ton of interest on it already. If all else fails, I'll take it but it looks like there is a line of people

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:52 am

Here are the results of this experiment so far:

Out of the applications I have received:
-3 are "word of mouth"--guys I am in other leagues with
-1 from Twitter
-3 from /r/DynastyFF
-7 are from DLF

Pretty cool.

Bad News Barrett
MVP
MVP

Postby Bad News Barrett » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:51 am

zfifelski wrote:Here are the results of this experiment so far:

-1 from Twitter
-3 from /r/DynastyFF
-7 are from DLF

Pretty cool.
I know this is completely random, but due to your profile picture, I picture you as Tobias Funke from Arrested Development

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:54 am

badnewsbarrett wrote:
zfifelski wrote:Here are the results of this experiment so far:

-1 from Twitter
-3 from /r/DynastyFF
-7 are from DLF

Pretty cool.
I know this is completely random, but due to your profile picture, I picture you as Tobias Funke from Arrested Development
:lol: