Importance of an elite QB in Superflex

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Importance of an elite QB in Superflex

Postby maxhyde » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:09 pm

zjdlmt wrote:I really enjoy the superflex format. I joined my first league in the 2012 season and I've picked up a few more since. My first time around, I was very interested in making sure I had solid QB depth and could always start two QBs each week. After a few seasons looking at the teams that have success, I think that you're better off just building your team with the best players available and comparing the QBs to the guys they'll compete with for your superflex spot just as you would for a RB vs WR in the flex.

In my experience, the top end QBs have some disproportionate trade value which you can use to your advantage. There's a very wide tier of "good enough" options that you don't normally pay attention to in a standard league unless you're streaming QB. I think you can find value in other places and then pick off some QB value along the way with value just being a guy that has a job and a competent offense around him. You're still typically better off starting a QB in your superflex spot because their floor is generally good and the points are cheaper to acquire at the QB position even in a superflex. There will be guys like McCown or Fitzpatrick that bubble up and aren't taken seriously so you can get them for late picks or a cheap prospect and ride them till you figure out other options.
I will say I agree in principle with most of this.
The problem with the Fitzpatrick's/McCown's of the world is there are the Geno's and Manziel's and not because those guys are better or worse but because you have no idea who is starting any given week.
There are cheap options but you either guess right and get lucky or you have 6QB's of which 3 might play any given week and good luck choosing which one of Hoyer or Fitzpatrick to start along with Eli any given week.

I do agree overpaying for QB's is not worth or fun it but in a startup you ensure yourself not overpaying in trade by drafting QB's...cheapest you will ever get QB's in any superflex I have played in is in a startup.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

TheChicken
Captain
Captain

Postby TheChicken » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:18 pm

Remember that if you have solid starting QBs you can draft WRs/RBs early in your rookie draft. Having to draft a QB with your 1st round rookie pick multiple years until you have 2 solid starters can be very annoying.
99 problems but your 10 team league ain't one!

hingle
Captain
Captain

Postby hingle » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:22 pm

hingle wrote:What about trading the 2.08, 3.05, 11.05, and the 2016 rookie 1.05 for the 1.02 straight up. Seems expensive but having an elite QB and WR would be nice. It's also an IDP league so someone might grab a defensive player early and push some decent guys to the 4th. Is this too risky?
What do you think of the above offer? Is this too much capital to invest right at the start of the league? I would basically be getting an elite QB and WR but would be left to fill my roster from the 4th round on.
12 Team PPR, 6pt TDs
1QB, 2RBs, 3WRs, 1TE, 2Flex (W/R/T)
QB: Jackson, Mayfield, Pickett
RB: Barkley, Taylor, N. Harris, L. Murray, Scott
WR: Jefferson, K.Allen, Higgins, Diggs, Chark, Atwell
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Mayer(R) Tremble
2024 Picks: 1.05, 3.05, 4.05/4.09

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:28 pm

hingle wrote:
hingle wrote:What about trading the 2.08, 3.05, 11.05, and the 2016 rookie 1.05 for the 1.02 straight up. Seems expensive but having an elite QB and WR would be nice. It's also an IDP league so someone might grab a defensive player early and push some decent guys to the 4th. Is this too risky?
What do you think of the above offer? Is this too much capital to invest right at the start of the league? I would basically be getting an elite QB and WR but would be left to fill my roster from the 4th round on.
WAY too much...
However if anyone will give you their 2nd and 3rd round startup picks for your 1st...do it
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)

hingle
Captain
Captain

Postby hingle » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:11 pm

What would be good value to gain if I was looking to move back to say the 1.10?
12 Team PPR, 6pt TDs

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:12 pm

hingle wrote:What would be good value to gain if I was looking to move back to say the 1.10?
I traded 1.10+4.03 for 1.04+9.06 or something like that to grab Luck.
You might be able to do better but I would likely look to grab a 2017 1st to slide back. It isn't great but definitely worth it considering the player you get at 10 will be in the same tier as the player where you pick now

hingle
Captain
Captain

Postby hingle » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:37 pm

maxhyde wrote:
hingle wrote:What would be good value to gain if I was looking to move back to say the 1.10?
I traded 1.10+4.03 for 1.04+9.06 or something like that to grab Luck.
You might be able to do better but I would likely look to grab a 2017 1st to slide back. It isn't great but definitely worth it considering the player you get at 10 will be in the same tier as the player where you pick now
I like the idea of possible getting another early round pick in the start up. I'm not really big on drafting rookies and usually end up moving them for more proven assets. Thanks for the advice
12 Team PPR, 6pt TDs

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:46 pm

hingle wrote:I am definitely planning on getting at least 3 QBs in the draft. I guess it will just come down to who is available at the 1.05. I will hold off on trying to move up for the time being unless a good a offer comes my way.

Thanks all for the advice.
I think this is a good plan. I always try to make sure I come out of a SuperFlex startup with 3 starting QBs, but I don't obligate myself to taking them early. IME in these types of startups there's a lot more value towards the middle of the QB position than there is at the top. If I can't get one of the very top QBs, I'd rather fill up with stud WRs early then prepare to take multiple QBs in the middle rounds or as soon as there's enough QBs off the board that I know I need to start drafting them to assure myself the amount of starting QBs that I want.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:21 pm

Number of QBs is more important than having elite QBs. It's good to have at least 3 startable QBs, regardless of how "elite" they are. Not only for your own lineup and depth, but they make great trade pieces if you can grab extra QBs in the later rounds.

However, having an elite QB is no more important than having an elite player at another position - that is something I very quickly learned in Superflex. I grabbed Stafford in the 4th, Winston in the 6th & Dalton in the 8th of my startup. I then later traded for Rodgers (bundling Stafford, Taylor, J.Matthews & S.Johnson for him to a team who didn't have a 2nd QB).

Sure it is great to have an ARod, but by taking an ARod you are passing on the Julio, OBJ, Brown, etc.. and THEN whatever player you'd be missing out on by trading your other picks too.

You still want as many elite players as possible. I personally wouldn't trade up to obtain an elite QB at the price. At 1.05, you get a top choice of one of the best WRs or maybe a QB if they slide.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:43 pm

It's important to have QBs who put up elite points (or at least differentiation from the norm points) for the upcoming seasons. But that's hard to pinpoint down.

Imagine the cause & effect of a 2015 superflex startup:

The team that took Rodgers/Luck/Wilson in the first, might've made the playoffs.

And then they get smoked by the team who took Julio or ODB in the 1st, and got Palmer or Bortles much later on in the draft.

Oh yeah....the team who has the 1.1 this year, he's "the guy" who drafted Tannehill in the 2nd/3rd round wrap to be his QB1, and then anchored him with Flacco or Bridgewater.

Every year the names change, but the pattern remains the same.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:03 pm

JoeDay & I are in a superflex league together.

2015 league champ: Bortles, Carr, Bradford were his QBs

2014 league champ: Brees & Stafford were my QBs

2013 league champ: Romo & Cutler were his QBs

2012 league champ: Same owner who rocked Romo & Cutler. He had an in-form Graham & some sick WR production (Calvin, AJG, Marshall)

2011 league champ: Rodgers, Alex Smith, Colt McCoy, and Christian Ponder were his QBs

2010 league champ: Carson Palmer (Cincy style), Jason Campbell, and Rex Grossman were his QBs. Note though....he had Foster, Ray Rice, MJD who were all at their peak performance. He played a 1QB/3RB lineup.