Jake Delhomme

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Jake Delhomme

Postby Steelersfan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:28 pm

Jake Delhomme will visit with the Browns on Thursday, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Our View: Should the visit go well, Delhomme could potentially be brought in to compete for a starting job with Seneca Wallace and Brady Quinn (if Quinn isn't dealt). Still, Delhomme has seen a rapid decline in his play ever since the playoffs two seasons ago and, at 35 years of age, does not seem suited to start in the NFL at this point in his career.
Fanball

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:01 pm

Report: Browns sign Delhomme to 2-year deal

Delhomme
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns have agreed to terms with QB Jake Delhomme on a two-year deal.
Scratch that visit with the Saints. Delhomme's priority was landing in a situation where he would have a chance to start, so he chose Cleveland over a return home to Louisiana. Brady Quinn is unlikely to last the offseason, which leaves the Browns with a Delomme-Seneca Wallace training camp battle. The smart money is on Wallace to defeat a washed-up Delhomme and enter Week 1 as the starter. Mar. 13 - 5:49 pm et
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
hmmm I dont get their tactic right now... why are they hiring non starter caliber FA QB´s?

They should give Quinn a full season or two time...
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:46 pm

BradyT wrote:
Report: Browns sign Delhomme to 2-year deal

Delhomme
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns have agreed to terms with QB Jake Delhomme on a two-year deal.
Scratch that visit with the Saints. Delhomme's priority was landing in a situation where he would have a chance to start, so he chose Cleveland over a return home to Louisiana. Brady Quinn is unlikely to last the offseason, which leaves the Browns with a Delomme-Seneca Wallace training camp battle. The smart money is on Wallace to defeat a washed-up Delhomme and enter Week 1 as the starter. Mar. 13 - 5:49 pm et
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
hmmm I dont get their tactic right now... why are they hiring non starter caliber FA QB´s?

They should give Quinn a full season or two time...
new regime wants their own QB I imagine. They'll probably draft a QB and let Wallace and delhomme duke it out until the new QB is ready. I do agree they should give quinn this season to see if he has the goods.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:22 pm

Just when you thought the Browns couldn't get any worse....Ugh. :oops:
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:05 pm

Misfit74 wrote:Just when you thought the Browns couldn't get any worse....Ugh. :oops:
I am actually relieved a bit by this signing as it means the organization is ready to move on. They could not have managed the QB situation any worse the last couple of years. I was never much of a Quinn believer, but at least had a glimmer of hope that the team would pick a QB and go with it.

With this signing, I'd expect the team to unload all of their other QBs in DA, Quinn, and Ratliff and draft a QB for the future. I'd even suspect they might try to move up from the 1.7 by dangling Quinn to get themselves in front of the Seahawks. Of course, if Bradford is already gone I highly doubt they would make such a move for another QB from Notre Dame.

As to Delhomme's ability, I am not sure what to think. He hasn't anything to work with in Carolina outside of Steve Smith the last couple of seasons. 2009 was the first season as a starter that he had more INTs than TDs. I don't think he really stands a shot at the starting job (yay!) but gives them someone with experience to be the backup.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:34 am

Check out Delhomme's numbers in his last 12 starts, compared to JaMarcus Russell's in his last 12 starts (from MMQB):

QB....... Comp......Att.....Pct.....Yds...TD..Int...Rating
Delhomme 195...355... .549...2220...9...23... 55.4
Russell..... 145...283... .512...1690...8...11... 62.9

:oops: :lol:
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:51 am

And they´re paying him big time....
Browns paying Delhomme $7 million for 2010

Jake Delhomme's two-year contract with the Browns will pay him $7 million in the first season.
Delhomme, who was benched last season after compiling an 8:18 TD-to-INT ratio, will all in all collect $19.7 million in 2010 because the Panthers are on the hook to pay him $12.7M per his old contract. We very much doubt that any other team would've paid the 35-year-old $7 million for one season, but the Browns' decision to do so indicates Delhomme is the favorite to start over Seneca Wallace. At least until Wallace severely outplays him in August. Mar. 14 - 1:15 pm et
Source: ESPN.com
this is crazy...
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:06 pm

He's not worth near that money at this stage of his career. He had S. Smith in Carolina, he has a WHOLE LOT less than that in Cleveland.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:11 pm

BradyT wrote:And they´re paying him big time....
Browns paying Delhomme $7 million for 2010

Jake Delhomme's two-year contract with the Browns will pay him $7 million in the first season.
Delhomme, who was benched last season after compiling an 8:18 TD-to-INT ratio, will all in all collect $19.7 million in 2010 because the Panthers are on the hook to pay him $12.7M per his old contract. We very much doubt that any other team would've paid the 35-year-old $7 million for one season, but the Browns' decision to do so indicates Delhomme is the favorite to start over Seneca Wallace. At least until Wallace severely outplays him in August. Mar. 14 - 1:15 pm et
Source: ESPN.com
this is crazy...
I think the Browns are trying to make sure they have a starter (Delhomme or Wallace) for the next season or two, while they develop a rookie QB that should be drafted in April. Delhomme knows the Holmgren West Coast system so it could be a smooth transition, and they have Wallace to fall back on if Delhomme repeats last seasons numbers. Even if Delhomme isn't the starter I think he could be a good mentor to whoever the rookie QB ends up being, so in the end this move could work out. Don't like paying Delhomme 7 mil, but money is definitely NOT an issue with the Browns ownership and no salary cap.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:22 pm

Yeah I think the experience and the work ethic are being underestimated. At the very least he can teach a young guy how it should be done even if he can't still do it himself.

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:10 pm

hosler427 wrote:Yeah I think the experience and the work ethic are being underestimated. At the very least he can teach a young guy how it should be done even if he can't still do it himself.
this is exactly why hes getting paid what he got. nice post dan.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:39 pm

thewhyterabbit wrote:
hosler427 wrote:Yeah I think the experience and the work ethic are being underestimated. At the very least he can teach a young guy how it should be done even if he can't still do it himself.
this is exactly why hes getting paid what he got. nice post dan.
that means the browns have no faith in quinn and think he'll never be able to make it in the NFL.

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:46 pm

7 million dollars is quite a price tag for a player/coach. I don't think it was a horrible move bringing him in, but at that cost, I think it is a waste for someone with no upside.