Derrick Mason re-signs with the Ravens for 2 years

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Derrick Mason re-signs with the Ravens for 2 years

Postby Phish Brigade » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Ravens Re-Sign Derrick Mason
The Baltimore Ravens reached a two-year agreement in principle with wide receiver Derrick Mason. by Ryan Mink
Mar 10, 2010, 8:09PM

Unrestricted free agent wide receiver Derrick Mason and the Ravens reached a two-year agreement in principle Wednesday night, giving Baltimore what should be a formidable receiving corps heading into 2010.

It was previously unknown whether Mason, 36, would be re-signed considering the Ravens traded for wideout Anquan Boldin last Friday. The Ravens also signed wideout Donte Stallworth in mid-February.

But less than a week later acquiring Boldin, the Ravens made a statement that they still value their veteran Mason.

"We know exactly what we're getting with Derrick, and that's production,” General Manager and Executive Vice President Ozzie Newsome said.

“Every Ravens fan knows what Derrick brings to this team. It's reliability, toughness, leadership, the fight to win and the want of the ball in the clutch times. He has a two-year history with Joe [Flacco] that says, 'We know how to produce together.' They are on the same page."

Mason led the Ravens in receiving yards (1,028) and touchdowns (7) in 2009. He finished second on the team behind Ray Rice in receptions with 73. Mason has notched at least 1,000 yards receiving in eight of his past nine seasons.

"This is outstanding – just great news for the Ravens," Head Coach John Harbaugh said. "Our coaches are happy. Derrick's teammates are happy, and you know Joe is smiling. Way to go to Ozzie and Pat [Moriarty, vice president of football administration] for getting this done. We would have lost something special if Derrick had gone to another team. We have gotten better in the last couple of days."

There were rumors that there could be interest in Mason from the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots. Mason had also hinted at retirement at the end of the Ravens’ playoff run, he said a two-year deal would convince him to play.

“I’m getting myself ready to play football and help the Ravens win,” Mason said. “But, the first thing I am going to do is take my family on vacation. I’ll see everybody back in Baltimore soon.”
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Art ... Mason.aspx

Very smart move by Baltimore. They are clearly making a push for the Superbowl while Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are still relevant. I wish Ozzie Newsome had been the GM in Buffalo over the last few years.
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:57 pm

Stallworth, Boldin, and now Mason. How is the new passing-game with actual pass-catching targets going to affect Ray Rice, I wonder?
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars