Sell me on David Cobb

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Swampdonkey17
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Sell me on David Cobb

Postby Swampdonkey17 » Sat May 23, 2015 6:53 am

ericanadian wrote:I see a lot of comparisons here to Alfred Morris, but the problem there is that Morris fluked into a starting role due to injuries and he never would've held it were it not a zone block scheme in Washington while he was still proving himself. Alf Morris on most teams ends up a valueless no-name.

The comparison to Michael Turner must be referring to when he was old and washed up. He was called "The Burner" and it's not because he was a plodding mediocrity. He ran a 4.49, which when compared to Cobb's 4.81, is a massive difference.
Youre not really counting that as his 40 time right? Dude yanked his hammy
Journal of my first orphan rebuild. If you're in a rebuild and want to get ideas or give some, feel free.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=92442
QB: Andrew Luck,Andy Dalton, Brett Hundley, Trevor Siemian
RB: Lamar Miller, Eddie Lacy,Carlos Hyde,Dion Lewis, Mark Ingram, Thomas Rawls,Terrell Watson, Legarette Blount, Daniel Lasco, DJ Foster
WR: Deandre Hopkins,Alshon Jeffrey,Randall Cobb,Kelvin Benjamin,Jarvis Landry, Devante Parker, Tyrell Williams,
TE: Greg Olsen, Eric Ebron,Julius Thomas
D: Denver, Baltimore

Detroitcity
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Detroitcity » Sat May 23, 2015 7:19 am

ninotoreS wrote:
Detroitcity wrote: David Cobb- doesn't keep his feet moving all the time, goes down in first contact but does fall forward.
fully half of his yards came after contact, bud
Detroitcity wrote: I think TENN is going to give Sankey every opportunity to earn the starting job
I agree with this. But such is my pessimism regarding Sankey that I'm already leaving him for dead, even considering.

That's just me, though. If one believes Sankey still has a chance to live up to his draft selection, then such dynasty owners shouldn't have Cobb higher than a 3 or more appropriately a 4 on their board.
He's 5'11 230 and runs solely between the tackles....I'd hope that half of his yards came after 1st contact....also throw in the falling forward aspect that I mentioned and that ups his yards "after contact". The dude could run for 1 yard, fall forward for 1 more after "contact" and "half of his yards are after contact"

As far as Sankey goes, I wasn't saying that I think Sankey will live up to his draft status, I said he was going to be given every opportunity to

Swampdonkey17
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Swampdonkey17 » Sat May 23, 2015 7:25 am

Detroitcity wrote:
ninotoreS wrote:
Detroitcity wrote: David Cobb- doesn't keep his feet moving all the time, goes down in first contact but does fall forward.
fully half of his yards came after contact, bud
Detroitcity wrote: I think TENN is going to give Sankey every opportunity to earn the starting job
I agree with this. But such is my pessimism regarding Sankey that I'm already leaving him for dead, even considering.

That's just me, though. If one believes Sankey still has a chance to live up to his draft selection, then such dynasty owners shouldn't have Cobb higher than a 3 or more appropriately a 4 on their board.
He's 5'11 230 and runs solely between the tackles....I'd hope that half of his yards came after 1st contact....also throw in the falling forward aspect that I mentioned and that ups his yards "after contact". The dude could run for 1 yard, fall forward for 1 more after "contact" and "half of his yards are after contact"

As far as Sankey goes, I wasn't saying that I think Sankey will live up to his draft status, I said he was going to be given every opportunity to

Pretty sure you dont get drafted if you average 2.0 YPC, kinda reaching there for an argument.
Journal of my first orphan rebuild. If you're in a rebuild and want to get ideas or give some, feel free.
RB: Lamar Miller, Eddie Lacy,Carlos Hyde,Dion Lewis, Mark Ingram, Thomas Rawls,Terrell Watson, Legarette Blount, Daniel Lasco, DJ Foster
WR: Deandre Hopkins,Alshon Jeffrey,Randall Cobb,Kelvin Benjamin,Jarvis Landry, Devante Parker, Tyrell Williams,

Detroitcity
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Detroitcity » Sat May 23, 2015 8:14 am

Watch this film and give me one example of a time he gets more than 1-1.5 yards after "true" contact. I'm not talking about a hand barely touching his leg as he's running through the line

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/david-c ... ouri-2014/

Swampdonkey17
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Swampdonkey17 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:21 am

Detroitcity wrote:Watch this film and give me one example of a time he gets more than 1-1.5 yards after "true" contact. I'm not talking about a hand barely touching his leg as he's running through the line

No problem, first carry of the video, he gets 4 yards after he gets hit.

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Sat May 23, 2015 11:15 am

Detroitcity wrote:Watch this film and give me one example of a time he gets more than 1-1.5 yards after "true" contact. I'm not talking about a hand barely touching his leg as he's running through the line

He gets significant yardage after contact on the 1st play shown on that video, as was already pointed out. Also:

2:00 - gets good yardage after contact twice on the same play
2:08 - gets 6 yards after significant contact, probably his best run shown.
3:03 - 5 yards after contact in the backfield
4:55 - 5 yards after initial contact

I'm not some huge Cobb supporter or anything, but as someone from Minnesota I watched him more than just about any other RB in the nation last year. He's clearly not elite, but fighting hard for yards is one of the things he DOES do well. Minnesota has also sucked for quite some time with next to zero passing game and a mediocre offensive line, so there is that too. I question if he has the athleticism to be a star in the NFL, but he definitely has a place on a team as a downhill runner who will get what's blocked for him and a bit more while being reliable and durable.

ppm
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ppm » Sat May 23, 2015 12:18 pm

He's a tough inside runner that can move the chains, sustain drives, and convert short-yardage plays. The kind of back coaches love. Basically he's the anti-Sankey.

That said, I don't expect Tennessee to simply give up on Sankey after what they invested in him just a year ago. At best I see Cobb as the better half of a committee on a poor offense and he's not talented enough to be a fantasy starter in that context. He'll also have very little job security as it wouldn't take much for the Titans to draft an upgrade. Think Zac Stacy but without the huge workload the Rams gave him early on.

I ended up taking him at the top of the 3rd recently which I think is about where he belongs. I can't get on board with the people taking him early/mid-2nd.

Swampdonkey17
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Swampdonkey17 » Sat May 23, 2015 7:24 pm

ppm wrote:He's a tough inside runner that can move the chains, sustain drives, and convert short-yardage plays. The kind of back coaches love. Basically he's the anti-Sankey.

That said, I don't expect Tennessee to simply give up on Sankey after what they invested in him just a year ago. At best I see Cobb as the better half of a committee on a poor offense and he's not talented enough to be a fantasy starter in that context. He'll also have very little job security as it wouldn't take much for the Titans to draft an upgrade. Think Zac Stacy but without the huge workload the Rams gave him early on.

I ended up taking him at the top of the 3rd recently which I think is about where he belongs. I can't get on board with the people taking him early/mid-2nd.
I think he typically going end of 2nd, but is it really a big difference from say 2.02 to 2.09? That tier of players is so huge nothing would surprise me at all in the 2nd rd. After the 1st is where alot of the "do not draft" players for every owner show up. I think people cant get on board with this because of mock drafts and rankings online, that it's insane to draft a guy 5 spots ahead of where he's "supposed to". You usually have 1 pick in the rd, i'd rather take the guy I think will produce, not the guy at the consensus.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sat May 23, 2015 8:12 pm

To me the Titan are clearly moving to a power scheme, with a fb opening up holes for the tailback. Sankey isn't a power back so Cobb is the guy to own.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Sat May 23, 2015 8:57 pm

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552376

"I'm hoping we get him. He can step right in and play because he runs tough and he knows how to pass protect. His offensive line was bad too. He's a way shiftier runner than he gets credit for." - AFC running back coach.

And comparisons to Ridley. Maybe as a Pats fan I'm not the best person to say this, but Ridley was a far better RB than ever given credit for due to his "quantity of fumbles" (9 fumbles over 672 touches which is 1.3% I believe) but for the Patriots RBBC approach and him hitting 1,263 yards in 2012 I was pretty impressed. I would be willing to take a gamble on this guy if he lives up to that comparison. Then again how often does NFL.com get a player comparison right?
Watson Goff Purdy
Pierce Swift Robinson Conner Patterson
Hill Lamb Pittman Williams Renfrow Samuel
Hockenson Knox Kmet Schultz

DYNOmite
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DYNOmite » Sat May 23, 2015 11:42 pm

DJB wrote:To me the Titan are clearly moving to a power scheme, with a fb opening up holes for the tailback. Sankey isn't a power back so Cobb is the guy to own.
A power back doesn't need a fullback.

Patmos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Patmos » Sun May 24, 2015 5:08 am

Here is why I traded up in my rookie draft to get him in the 2nd round:
While he lacks top-end speed, he possesses excellent vision, short-area quickness and power. His game translates very well to the next level...Daniel Jeremiah
In addition, 54 percent of Cobb's yardage in 2014 came after initial contact.
I always look for 'arbitrage' plays, and I see Cobb as a 'poor man's Jeremy Hill.' Both are 220-pound-plus power backs with speed scores in the 90s, and Cobb's other measurables are better than Hill's:

Burst | 126.0 > 106
Agility | 11.56 < 12.23
Athleticism | 101.2 > 95.2

All of this combined with a near-perfect situation in Tennessee - power running game with little competition in front of him - makes him well worth a 2nd round pick in a rookie draft.
aka Indy Speedway in the Lead Dog Championship League

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Sun May 24, 2015 9:13 am

GLSmk wrote: Then again how often does NFL.com get a player comparison right?
Shhh! Don't tell Ares that!
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun May 24, 2015 12:37 pm

Swampdonkey17 wrote:
ericanadian wrote:I see a lot of comparisons here to Alfred Morris, but the problem there is that Morris fluked into a starting role due to injuries and he never would've held it were it not a zone block scheme in Washington while he was still proving himself. Alf Morris on most teams ends up a valueless no-name.

The comparison to Michael Turner must be referring to when he was old and washed up. He was called "The Burner" and it's not because he was a plodding mediocrity. He ran a 4.49, which when compared to Cobb's 4.81, is a massive difference.
Youre not really counting that as his 40 time right? Dude yanked his hammy
He ran in the low 4.6s in his Pro Day, which still isn't exactly close given that it's a Pro Day time. I could see him as the next Tim Hightower because Whiz is prone to weird decision making in his starting line-up and Cobb does fit what Whiz likes to do.

That's not nothing, but it's also not something I'm really excited about.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

knotts4372
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby knotts4372 » Sun May 24, 2015 1:18 pm

its clear to me that some ppl that think this is sankey's job didnt watch sankey last year or just cant see what the titans are looking to do. hey i get it. i was one of those guys that drafted sankey late 1st last year and totally got burned by it. if you watched him play you would see whisenhunt isnt a fan of his scat back running style and shonn greene for a big portion of the year played over sankey because whisenhunt wants that power back. it seems to me that this will be cobbs job to lose at least as a 2 down power back with sankey being the 3rd down back. i know its hard for sankey owners to admit this cause i own sankey in 2 leagues, but yeah he just isnt a 3 down guy. i still think sankey has value as a shane vereen, gio type player tho just wont get as many touches
DLF hall of famers 16 teams 25 man roster
http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... =07&F=0016

IRONCLAD 16 teams 40 man rosters http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/133985/teams/

@donnynutz on twitter