Gurley to Miami/ Lamar?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jackhammer23
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Gurley to Miami/ Lamar?

Postby jackhammer23 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:31 am

ninotoreS wrote:It should tell you enough that

1.) the Fins persistently limited Miller's carries most weeks last season, despite good health and being clearly atop the depth-chart after Moreno went down

2.) they're even interested in spending a 1st on an RB in the first place

Clearly, the Fins are not very confident in Miller as their long term lead-back, even if they don't get Gurley.

Sell, if you can get something decent, like a 2.
And isn't Miller in last year of his deal?

RenMasters
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby RenMasters » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:55 am

How much of this is just Miami posturing to possibly trade down if Gurley is still available when they pick?
Team Rebuilding - 12 Team PPR
QB (1) - A. Luck, D. Carr, R. Tannehill
RB (1-2) - T. Gurley, C. McCaffery, M. Breida, A. Ekeler, N. Hines, E. McGuire,
WR (3-4) - D. Adams, M.Evans, M. Jones, N. Agholor, M. Bryant, R. Grant, R Higgins
TE (1) - E. Engram, G. Everett, G. Olsen

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:38 am

SuhFEAR wrote:How much of this is just Miami posturing to possibly trade down if Gurley is still available when they pick?
I'm not sure the two would be connected. Rather they would posture to have someone trade up ahead of them to take him and leave someone they want. Saying you really want someone should have very loose connection to suddenly trading down because that guys available. If he's there and they do it shows it was a smokescreen and they wanted someone else. Other teams could trade up with them to get it, but it wouldn't be because the Dolphins were saying they wanted him.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the two pieces connecting.

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:28 am

FiremanEd wrote:
SuhFEAR wrote:How much of this is just Miami posturing to possibly trade down if Gurley is still available when they pick?
I'm not sure the two would be connected. Rather they would posture to have someone trade up ahead of them to take him and leave someone they want. Saying you really want someone should have very loose connection to suddenly trading down because that guys available. If he's there and they do it shows it was a smokescreen and they wanted someone else. Other teams could trade up with them to get it, but it wouldn't be because the Dolphins were saying they wanted him.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the two pieces connecting.
The only way I see it connecting is if they see the lump of teams in front of them as likely to pick a guy they're high on (like Scherff or even La'el Collins) and they're trying to get a team like San Diego to trade up ahead of them to take him so hopefully their guy falls one more slot.

I know that the Dolphins haven't shown faith in Miller and his success has been in spite of the coaching staff but I don't see how they can look at their team and take Todd Gurley at 14. Even if he turns into Adrian Peterson I just think that's a really bad move for them (how have the Vikings done with AP?).

OG, CB, and to a lesser degree WR are all more pressing needs and much more difficult to fill outside of rounds 1 or 2. I think the top 3 WRs will be gone by their pick and not sure it's important enough to trade up. If they're not going to trade up for Scherff maybe they might be able to trade back and either pick up Waynes or Peters at CB or trade further back and figure out those top 3 positions in the first 3 rounds (assuming they'd net another pick in the 2nd or 3rd in a big trade back). They could get a guy like Davis or Cobb at RB in the 4th who would be a great complement to Miller and also have 3 down potential if/when they decide to let Miller walk.

While I'd be sad as a Miller owner if the Dolphins do draft Gurley I suppose as a Patriots fan any help we can get as we transition to the post Brady era would be greatly appreciated.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:15 am

justinkilmer wrote:I hope Miami lets him walk next season. They don't utilize him to begin with.
Yeah. Especially in this time of running back volatility, he's shown himself to be a more than capable back. I'd actually look to get Miller on the cheap - even with Gurley, he's still going to get his reps, and he'll likely end up a lead back somewhere else in free agency.

I sometimes wonder about the Dolphins internal player valuations. All the news out of Miami early last year was that they were disappointed in Tannehill and were looking to move on. They seem to want spectacular, rather than steady. I can see this philosophy in how they often chase the shiniest of the free agents.

The more I think about it, I wonder if they would let Miller walk despite his production because the Suh deal creates such cap damage. If they extend Tannehill too, there won't be a lot of money left to go around. Financially, if not necessarily football prudent, given the drunk spending this offseason.

But all that said, I do think this is a smokescreen/posturing. They want someone who wants Gurley to trade up with them, so they're throwing this out to their "sources." They'll be going with a WR in round one, and I bet they figure the guy they want will be available for a later pick.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

Joey Pigskins
Starter
Starter

Postby Joey Pigskins » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:37 am

Just traded Miller for Maclin and a 2016 2nd in one of my leagues.....not an amazing haul but more than you will get for Miller this time next week IMO
@JoeyPigskins

11th Year 10 Team Dynasty 1/2 PPR (20 man rosters, three round rookie/FA draft, 2 taxi)

Commissioner/Founder

Champions 2011, 2012
Runnner-up 2013, 2016

1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1TE 2 Flex (WR/RB/TE) 1 K 1 DEF

Matthew Stafford, Marcus Mariota
Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon, Jordan Howard,, Jonathan Stewart, Darren Sproles, Theo Riddick, Jonathan Williams
DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Allen Robinson, Michael Thomas (NO), Phillip Dorsett, Kenny Britt, Kenny Stills, JJ Nelson (taxi)
Jimmy Graham, Eric Ebron, Austin Seferian-Jenkins (taxi)
Adam Vinatieri
NYG D

2017: 1st, 2nd

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:54 am

I thought we were playing dynasty football. Since when do you trade a top 10 RB, just because some competition is coming in. He is only 24 and has shown very well on the field. He doesn't seem to need 300+ carries to put up good stats, and his contract ends after this year. He will have the opportunity to move on to a team that wants him. Sounds like some are hitting the panic button to soon.
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2-3, WR 3-4, TE 1

QB - CJ Stroud, Justin Fields, Matthew Stafford
RB - Breece Hall, Zach Charbonnet, Dameon Pierce, D'Onta Foreman, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Garrett Wilson, Jaylen Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Nico Collins, Christian Watson, Jameson Williams, Michael Wilson, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Marquise Brown
TE - Cole Kmet, Luke Schoonmaker, Darren Waller, Jelani Woods
Picks - 1.02, 1.09, 2.02, 4.02 -- All 2025 Picks

Jecked
Starter
Starter

Postby Jecked » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:01 am

Won't change alot for Miller short term.

He got a 1000 yards and 8 TD's with only slightly more than 200 carries, plus another 275 yards and a TD threw the air. He will still get that workload next season even if they draft Gurley.

Long term he will be a 24 year old RB with not alot of tread on his tires in college or the NFL going into free agency next year.

Balzac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Balzac » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:22 am

justinkilmer wrote:I thought we were playing dynasty football. Since when do you trade a top 10 RB, just because some competition is coming in. He is only 24 and has shown very well on the field. He doesn't seem to need 300+ carries to put up good stats, and his contract ends after this year. He will have the opportunity to move on to a team that wants him. Sounds like some are hitting the panic button to soon.
I don't get why people think Miami would leak their target a week before the draft..... :doh:
10 Team TE Premium, Dynasty Year 6 - (1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 3FLEX, 1K, 1DEF)
http://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... =07&F=0002

12 Team .5PPR, Dynasty Year 4 - (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 3FLEX)
https://www66.myfantasyleague.com/2017/ ... =07&F=0011

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:32 am

Jecked wrote:Won't change alot for Miller short term.

He got a 1000 yards and 8 TD's with only slightly more than 200 carries, plus another 275 yards and a TD threw the air. He will still get that workload next season even if they draft Gurley.

Long term he will be a 24 year old RB with not alot of tread on his tires in college or the NFL going into free agency next year.
Strongly disagree that it won't change a lot short-term. Miller is good and will get touches, but he sees a significant drop with Gurley in town.

Jecked
Starter
Starter

Postby Jecked » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:43 am

dynastyninja wrote:

Strongly disagree that it won't change a lot short-term. Miller is good and will get touches, but he sees a significant drop with Gurley in town.
They are not going to give Gurley a big workload in his first season after a ACL, i would bet Miller still gets 200 carries. If we say the Dolphins rush the ball 420-450 times next year i could see 200 each with another 50 from Tannehill.

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:47 am

Balzac wrote:
justinkilmer wrote:I thought we were playing dynasty football. Since when do you trade a top 10 RB, just because some competition is coming in. He is only 24 and has shown very well on the field. He doesn't seem to need 300+ carries to put up good stats, and his contract ends after this year. He will have the opportunity to move on to a team that wants him. Sounds like some are hitting the panic button to soon.
I don't get why people think Miami would leak their target a week before the draft..... :doh:
Precisely. "Leaks" to "sources" this time of the year are more often than not misdirections.

They COULD be targeting Gurley. More likely they're targeting other teams that covet Gurley.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:48 am

Jecked wrote:
dynastyninja wrote:

They are not going to give Gurley a big workload in his first season after a ACL, i would bet Miller still gets 200 carries. If we say the Dolphins rush the ball 420-450 times next year i could see 200 each with another 50 from Tannehill.
A Gurley injury would be the only reason their carries are close to each other. Otherwise It'd be more like 250-300 Gurley and 100-150 Miller

Ricky Stanzi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Ricky Stanzi » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:01 am

I highly doubt they would give Gurley 250-300 carries coming off an ACL, especially when they still have Miller. His workload would more than likely pick up towards the end of the year but definitely not anywhere around that amount IMO.
Team 1- year 2
12 team PPR-25 man roster
Tannehill
Lacy, Ingram, Duke Johnson, Ellington, Mason, Blue
Beckham, Benjamin,D. Parker, Shepard, J.Matthews, Marvin Jones, Latimer, C. Conely, Crowder, Coates
Cameron, Clay

Team 2- year 2
12 team PPR-25 man roster
Carr, Goff, Wentz
Freeman, Lat Murray, Crowell, Sims
Cooper, Benjamin, Parker, Lee, Hurns, White, Conely, Anderson, Lockett, Algolohr
Henry, Miller, Swoope, Derby, Higbee, Hooper

Team 3
12 Team PPR, 21 man roster- 1 Rb league
Wilson,Tannehill
Bell, Crowell, Montgomery, Drake, Woodhead
Jeffrey, Hopkins, Cooper, Cooks, Landry, K Benjamin, Cobb, J Brown, Rogers
Reed,Olsen, Pitta
1.09, 2.11, 3.03, 3.12

TheChicken
Captain
Captain

Postby TheChicken » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:55 am

Interestingly no one with an early draft pick has commented on this thread saying they'd drop Gurley down their boards if Miami draft him. I don't have an early pick but based on how they have used Miller I would not see Miami as an ideal spot for Gurley if I did.

It's not going to happen but I'll throw it out there anyway ..... Are there any very recent examples of a talented, but not deemed elite, Running Back entering the final year of a rookie contract that was thought unlikely to be renewed being ridden into the ground before being 'let go'??
99 problems but your 10 team league ain't one!