At what point do you just say "screw the majority?"

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: At what point do you just say "screw the majority?"

Postby TommyL31 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:49 am

frodo2003 wrote:I don't know when your Draft is, but I would just be patient and wait until it gets closer or when you are on the clock.
I bet you get suitors for the 1.01 and can get a good deal done to move down a bit and still get your guy.
Let your league know the 1.01 is on the block--don't let anyone know who you want--just sit back and let them come to you.
If no one does---Take Your Guy!!
Agree with this 100%. I suspect interest in the 1.01 will go up between now and the draft. Let the guys with the 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 know you're interested in trading down or up from the 1.6. At the end of the day if you can get ANYTHING to trade down its a win for you because you'll take White with the 1.01 anyway
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:27 am

JoshGordonsDealer wrote:
Titus Young's Lawyer wrote:People that went against the grain and picked Evans last year at 1.1 came out on top.
Should I be more comfortable taking him since I have 1.06? Evans was hardly a stretch at 1.01, but White seems to be in the 1.04-1.05 discussion.

This all changes if he's playing for the Jets.
The quote about Evans above is ridiculous at this point unless you're talking about a redraft league. It's far too early for such a statement. Those who picked RG3 over Luck probably thought they came out on top after his rookie season.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:34 am

JoshGordonsDealer wrote: Kevin White has been my favorite player in this draft for a while, but I can't move back at all, really. At what point do I say "screw the majority" and take my guy? Incidentally, I picked up TY Hilton for 1.11 and 1.14 this offseason.
So, my question for you is how good are you at drafting and player evaluation? For example, did you fall in love with CP and draft him expecting him to be a top player? Have you found success with guys you loved and reached for in later rounds? Only you know the answer to these questions. I would go back and look at all your draft picks and then decide for yourself if you're good at going against the grain. If you are then go get your guy, but if not then I would lean toward following expert opinion and drafting players that hold the most value and try to trade for your guy before the season.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:53 am

thebeast wrote:
Titus Young's Lawyer wrote:People that went against the grain and picked Evans last year at 1.1 came out on top.
The quote about Evans above is ridiculous at this point unless you're talking about a redraft league. It's far too early for such a statement. Those who picked RG3 over Luck probably thought they came out on top after his rookie season.
thebeast, spot on. Excellent reference to the QB draft class
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Titus Young's Lawyer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Titus Young's Lawyer » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:32 am

thebeast wrote:
JoshGordonsDealer wrote:
Should I be more comfortable taking him since I have 1.06? Evans was hardly a stretch at 1.01, but White seems to be in the 1.04-1.05 discussion.

This all changes if he's playing for the Jets.
My statement is ridiculous but then you give an example of the same type of comparison? Who is to say that RG3 won't end up having the better long-term career? We all think Luck but who can be sure, they are both 25 years old. Sounds like you are just a Watkins apologist.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:23 am

Titus Young's Lawyer wrote:
thebeast wrote:
My statement is ridiculous but then you give an example of the same type of comparison? Who is to say that RG3 won't end up having the better long-term career? We all think Luck but who can be sure, they are both 25 years old. Sounds like you are just a Watkins apologist.
This is why I don't even respond to you most of the time. I didn't state that Luck will have a better career than RG3, I simply said that RG3 owners who drafted him over Luck probably thought they made the right decision after his rookie year. To clear this up for your simple mind, I think it's fair to say that those same RG3 owners probably don't think that now, today. I fully understand that that could change in a year again, which is why I don't make statements like yours where you asserted Evans owners came out on top as if that can't change. This is just another poorly thought out post by you, as most of your posts are.

Edit: Even though I didn't state that Luck would have a better career going forward, your failure to see the dichotomy between the data points on Luck vs RG3 compared to Evan vs Watkins is sad. Arguing that the statements are similar just shows that either you don't understand player analysis or that you just like to defend poor statements that you make regardless.

Titus Young's Lawyer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Titus Young's Lawyer » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:19 am

^I think you are taking things too personal man

White with the 4.35 in the 40. White might be the #1 guy by the draft anyway.
12 Team Dynasty IDP PPR (Yr.7)
QB-Stafford
RBChubb,MixonJ.White
WRK.Allen, Golladay, Lazard, M.WilliamsIsabella,
TE-Ebron,Gesicki,Irv Smith
DL-Short
DE-Dunlap,L.Williams
LB-Kwon,Mosley,Shaq
CB+S-Bell,Thomas

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:34 am

Titus Young's Lawyer wrote:White might be the #1 guy by the draft anyway.
I hope not. I'll look to get him cheaper than the rest. Competitiveness is off the charts and that's what matters the most to me.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:31 am

Titus Young's Lawyer wrote:^I think you are taking things too personal man

It's not personal, I just hate to see people reading advice from someone who doesn't have a clue as a lot of people pay money to play in their leagues.

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Postby dawgs4life » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:57 am

Followed White in JUNCO.....he was my #1 all along. Just like Julio since his Sophmore year. stay with what u have..hold em. If u wait good things will come. I have 1.1 in one of my leagues. And waited it out to the tune of AJGreen for 1.1 & 1.10. The closer it gets to the daft the more u get. Let someone who needs a RB get caught up in Gordon/Gurley the pounce. Get White and another piece moving back to 3 or 4. bTW ADAMs is a pretty good consultation prize :)
I only play in 16x53 with 10+ taxi size leagues with full IDP. All are PPR and most value return yardage. So my opinions may be skewed To these deep roster leagues.

Dynasty Fantasy is not a game, it’s a full time hobby.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:56 pm

Titus Young's Lawyer wrote:^I think you are taking things too personal man

I agree with this.
Hard to argue he isn't starting a conversation (for those that didn't think there was one before) as the top WR at the very least
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:41 pm

Always. Sometimes my pick will match the majority, but only because I decided that through my own research. Go back and look at the consesnsus top 10 picks for the past 5 years, it will be very revealing for you.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:04 pm

Interesting. Seems that when they run the top 3 receivers against each other, Cooper actually beats White by a hair.

http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Did-A ... e-35794229
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Vectorgod
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Vectorgod » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:59 pm

To the original question, I say "screw the majority" when I have truly decided for myself that a particular player is a must-have for my team. It's MY team! No matter what advice I get here about this player versus that player, ADP, 40-times, injury history, height, weight, blah blah blah, it eventually comes down to the fact that I have to be happy with MY team. In nearly every draft I will have one player picked out that is my guy for that draft, and it doesn't bother me a bit to go out there and draft him much earlier than ADP says just to be sure I get him.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:44 pm

Vectorgod wrote:To the original question, I say "screw the majority" when I have truly decided for myself that a particular player is a must-have for my team. It's MY team! No matter what advice I get here about this player versus that player, ADP, 40-times, injury history, height, weight, blah blah blah, it eventually comes down to the fact that I have to be happy with MY team. In nearly every draft I will have one player picked out that is my guy for that draft, and it doesn't bother me a bit to go out there and draft him much earlier than ADP says just to be sure I get him.
I hear you. The guys that I went with my gut in my start up who's ADP was significantly lower than my rankings.

Le'veon Bell ADP positional rank at the time: 6

My personal ranking: 1

Golden Tate positional ranking at the time: Mid 40's

My ranking: Mid 20's

Guys I didn't do enough research on and went based on ADP

Michael Floyd, Christine Michael, Kyle Rudolph. I was so dissapointed in Rudolph, I actually dropped him for other roster needs. Another thing I've learned. Don't go with positional need over talent/production potential. I drafted Ray Rice (we are non-PPR by the way) in the 10th round of my start-up, because I "needed" another RB, instead of Emmanuel Sanders who was still available for me, and I had him on my list to draft between the 6th and 8th round. Ugh.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick