3rd pick in the draft strategy

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

3rd pick in the draft strategy

Postby Factory of Sadness » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:23 am

Hi all,
Just getting started in dynasty, so apologies if the answer to this question is obvious or has been done to death. I will be drafting in a deep league that can start 2QBS and the orphan I have inherited has no QB option I can stomach. My question is am I better off taking whichever of Gordon, Gurley or Cooper is on the board and looking to make a trade, do I dish the pick for an ok, but not great QB, do I risk trading down and hoping to pick up Jameis or Mariota or do I take my guy and start a bum at QB for a year as I'm in rebuilding mode anyway?
I'm interested as much in whether there's a generally accepted theory of which option to take or two different positions as I am in what to do this year. Just looking to get a jump in my dynasty education I guess.
Any advice much appreciated.
Best,
Andy

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: 3rd pick in the draft strategy

Postby kmbryant09 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:03 am

Even though it's a 2QB league, I think you have to be sold on the QB's in order to select them high.

I know Bortles/Manziel/Bridgewater/Carr were going ahead of Watkins/Evans/OBJ in a lot of drafts this off-season, and I'm guessing they regret it right now.

Since you aren't looking to compete right away, I think you should just take the best player. If you think Jameis or Mariota are 10-year starters in the NFL, then you should try very hard to draft 1 of them. If you have serious questions about them, then take Gordon/Gurley/Cooper.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:08 pm

As I'm a competitor in the league, will refrain from giving any direct advice, especially since we are in the early stages of a trade discussion. But I would urge you to post a link to your team here, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by some assessments of your new squad, and you may get different feedback. Honestly, it's far better team than its record suggests. Injuries and an AWOL manager really killed its season.

Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Jimmy Jones » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:27 pm

Well things may change big time come draft time but as of where we are today Id say grab Mariota or Winston if they fall to you. If they go 1 and 2, take Gurley or trade back to 1.05 and take Cooper.
The Green Bay Packers
10 Team Superflex, Pass Heavy Scoring
1QB, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Def, 1K
Passing: 2pt/20yds 5pt/TD; Rushing/Receiving: 2pt/10yds; 1PPR

QB's: ARod, Rivers, Sanchez, Manziel, Mallett, Mettenberger
RB's: Charles, Lacy, Ellington, Oliver, Davis, Starks, CMike
WR's: Julio, Maclin, Sanders, Watkins, Crabtree, Patterson, Quick
TE's: Graham, Kelce, ASJ

heydangle
All Pro
All Pro

Postby heydangle » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:19 pm

Take Amari Cooper or Parker. I do like Jameis Winston though but his risk might cause him to slide

Diti51
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Diti51 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:40 am

Don't put the cart before the horse. Would repost this question AFTER NFL draft as landing spot could play key role in names mentioned

Jameis Winston - does he fall and if so to which team? (comes from pro system. can make all the throws. if no off field issues would be clear #1 QB in this draft)

Mariotta - who drafts him. what is system. who is he throwing to? Can he make adjustment to being pure pocket passer. how does he look in pro day.

Gurley - may fall, but has great talent. how does he recover from injury. remember that won't probably be 100% for at least until early 2016 (usually takes 1.5 years for RB with ACL to fully recover and "trust" repaired knee - forget AP, he is a genetic freak

Gordon - where does he land. how is offensive line. what is system. great talent, but needs opportunity.

Not a plug, but Matt Waldman on football insiders does a great job of analyzing incoming rookies and breaking down the tape. Good resource in prep for rookie draft. Helped me kill it this past year. Doesn't get caught up in hype train like some guys on ESPN who tend to over rate guys or drastically drop guys based on combine or pro day without taking into account full body of work in college.

Good luck
Team 1- Friday Night Lights
12 tm dynasty PPR, TE premiumQB/2RB/2WR/TE/3FLEX/K/D
http://www63.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/14805#0
QB: Mahomes/Mayfield/Levis
RB: Jonathan Taylor/Singletary/Allgier/Ty Chandler/Bigsby/AGibson
WR: Garret Wilson/Nico Collins/Diontae Johnson/Mi Williams/Marquise Brown/Zay Flowers
TE: Goeddert/Njoku/Ferguson/Harrison Bryant

Team 2 - Good Life
12 tm dynasty PPR, TE premiumQB/2RB/2WR/TE/2FLEX/K/D
http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/58823#0
QB: Josh Allen/Dobbs
RB: Jon Taylor/Roschon Johnson/JK Dobbins/Ty Chandler
WR: Diggs/Lockett/Diontae Johnson/Pittman/Elijah Moore/Jayden Reed/Wandale Robinson
TE: Ferguson/Okwonkwo/Juwan Johnson/Tucker Kraft/Ruckert

Team 3 - WFL
12 tm dynasty superflex, PPR, 26 man roster salary cap - no K/DST
QB: Fields/TLawrence/Zach Wilson/Mills
RB: Gibson/Chandler
WR: ACooper/Lockett/Godwin/Rashee Rice/Josh Downs/Mingo/Elijah Moore/WRobinson
TE: Goeddert/Trautman/Brevin Jordan

Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

Postby Factory of Sadness » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:19 am

Thanks for the advice guys! Love Matt Waldman's site. Have been watching film and downloaded a bunch of the Rookie Scouting Portfolios. Hours and hours of reading/watching ahead:)
Much appreciated

gmoftheyear
Captain
Captain

Postby gmoftheyear » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:29 am

My rookie year in my 2 QB league, Me and my partner used our draft picks on rookie RB's and WR's and used 2 veteran QBs the 1st year and actually came in 2nd place out of 10 teams. Picking rookie QB's high is risky business. very few hit unless you are Peyton Manning. I finally hit on Russell Wilson 3 years ago but I've generally stayed away from rookies. Try to build up other assets and deal for an established QB if possible. I was able to trade for Donovan Mcnabb a couple of years into my league and rode him for 12 years. Good luck.
QB- R. Wilson, Garoppolo, Fields, Ridder, Rudolph, Hooker
RB- Ekeler, Mostert, Pacheco, Dillon, Dobbins I/R
WR- Metcalf, Pickens, Higgins, DJ Moore
TE- Kincaid, Higbee
K- Aubrey
Def- Denver, Pittsburgh

No PPR, Start 2 QBs, 2 RBS, 2 WRS, 1 TE, 1 FLEX,1 K, 1 DEF/ST. 6 pts all touchdowns
2002 Points Champion, 2007 HTH Champion, 2014 HTH Champion

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:25 pm

Last year I only had interest in teddy in my superflex leagues. I traded up to 7 in one league to get him when he fell that far down. I don't think you have to go qb, and I actually think you could trade that 3 for a solid option. I prefer trading for a qb rather than drafting 1. Just make sure that you get 1 young enough to presumably be around for several years.