OBJ vs. Julio Jones vs. A. J. Green

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: The OBJ knock that burns me

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:16 am

I always caution trading young players, but Beckham's value is so ridiculously high that he's become a clear sell high. If people are offering Julio, Dez or Demaryius+ then that is peak value.

That said, every league is different and there are probably some level headed leagues that aren't pricing Beckham at that level.

Is he likely to continue producing at a high level? Yes. Probably not at this same high target level, but still a high level. Is his value likely to be worth the same next off season? I don't think so.

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:17 am

Cameron Giles wrote:I always caution trading young players, but Beckham's value is so ridiculously high that he's become a clear sell high. If people are offering Julio, Dez or Demaryius+ then that is peak value.

That said, every league is different and there are probably some level headed leagues that aren't pricing Beckham at that level.

Is he likely to continue producing at a high level? Yes. Probably not at this same high target level, but still a high level. Is his value likely to be worth the same next off season? I don't think so.
Calvin and Charles got a "meh" response in one of my leagues haha
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:44 am

I understand why folks are getting so fed up with Beckham talk. A month ago, I was advocating (I believe in vain) that someone should trade the 1.01 rookie pick for him. Now he's going 1.01 in startups. The hype machine has overtaken the pearl-clutching -- for now. I expect Beckham's ADP will drop to the 1.05-1.06 range in February's mocks. Still perhaps too rich, but more defensible.

I've paid "full price" (1.04 + 1.09 + Benjamin) for Beckham once, and I'd pay that price again. But I own him in four leagues (out of eight), and no one has offered me Julio/AJG/Dez value for him. If they did, I'd be compelled to listen. Until then, I suspect I won't be thinking about Beckham much.
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:14 am

Jules, I agree with you that the 1.04,1.09, and K.Benjamin for Beckham is full price. Likely - an overpay by a decent margin if you are good at drafting and a fan of Benjamin. That 1.04 has a shot at being of similar / close value to Beckham if you ask me. (I'm not a Benjamin fan or supporter) - some are though. All good though as you got "your guy". Imo, much better to have slightly over drafted him if you were that high on him then, than to over pay for him by that margin after he is a main stream sweetheart.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:47 am

JFever wrote:Jules, I agree with you that the 1.04,1.09, and K.Benjamin for Beckham is full price. Likely - an overpay by a decent margin if you are good at drafting and a fan of Benjamin. That 1.04 has a shot at being of similar / close value to Beckham if you ask me. (I'm not a Benjamin fan or supporter) - some are though. All good though as you got "your guy". Imo, much better to have slightly over drafted him if you were that high on him then, than to over pay for him by that margin after he is a main stream sweetheart.
Well, yeah, if I was that high on him coming out of college, I wouldn't have to trade for him now. I won't pretend I was standing on the table for Beckham last May. That said, I acquired him in 3/8 leagues for reasonable prices (drafted at 1.05; acquired in trade for Travis Kelce; acquired in trade for Aaron Rodgers). In this league, I could afford full sticker price, and I don't think I could've gotten anyone I like better for that price.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:02 pm

if he will fetch benjamin and 2 1sts I think I would sell him in a blink!
1 factor to me people are over looking is he took months to come back from an hamstring injury that does not bode well for his future injuries that may be nitpicky but for the price he is going every little thing matters ...... I have to confess I actually liked landry better from his own college team as he reminded me too much of mike wallace . That proved to be a silly comp & I even dealt 2 2015 1sts and bennie cunningham for him after his 1st good game . I had 5 1sts and was needing a wr2 after harvins value hollowed out whilst waiting for gordon's return .... also have megatron on that team so I thought it was worth it. Picks turned into 11th & 13th plus I won the league so all is well that ends well but offer me KB and 2 1sts and you will get odell ricecakes beckham in a flash
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:13 pm

Jules wrote:
JFever wrote:Jules, I agree with you that the 1.04,1.09, and K.Benjamin for Beckham is full price. Likely - an overpay by a decent margin if you are good at drafting and a fan of Benjamin. That 1.04 has a shot at being of similar / close value to Beckham if you ask me. (I'm not a Benjamin fan or supporter) - some are though. All good though as you got "your guy". Imo, much better to have slightly over drafted him if you were that high on him then, than to over pay for him by that margin after he is a main stream sweetheart.
Well, yeah, if I was that high on him coming out of college, I wouldn't have to trade for him now. I won't pretend I was standing on the table for Beckham last May. That said, I acquired him in 3/8 leagues for reasonable prices (drafted at 1.05; acquired in trade for Travis Kelce; acquired in trade for Aaron Rodgers). In this league, I could afford full sticker price, and I don't think I could've gotten anyone I like better for that price.
This is something a lot of people aren't talking about. It would be great to own him everywhere, but you can really only afford to buy him in leagues that you have spending room. I only own OBJ in one league, in which I just recently got him for 1.02, 1.11 and JMatt. In that particular league, I didn't need the picks. It was a luxury pickup for me.

In another league, my top two assets are 1.01 and Josh Gordon. Needless to say, I can't afford OBJ without virtually crippling my team.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:09 pm

The 1.02, 1.11, and Jordon Mathews for Odell Beckham Jr, Even if you can afford it - isn't really advisable imo. too much of that / a couple misses in a row - and all the sudden the haves become the have nots... But, again, some are quick to anoint, and others need to see a bit more before paying a premium. I'd say the 1.02, 1.11 along with J.Mathews - is paying close to a premium.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:40 pm

JFever wrote:The 1.02, 1.11, and Jordon Mathews for Odell Beckham Jr, Even if you can afford it - isn't really advisable imo. too much of that / a couple misses in a row - and all the sudden the haves become the have nots... But, again, some are quick to anoint, and others need to see a bit more before paying a premium. I'd say the 1.02, 1.11 along with J.Mathews - is paying close to a premium.
My WRs before the trade were:
1. Julio
2. AJG
3. DT
4. Evans
5. Sammy
6. Alshon
7. JMatt
8. CPatt
9. JHunt

__

So while you're right, I paid a premium... I could afford to. In fact, in a vacuum, I'd say he won the trade, assuming his picks pan out.
__
Sorry to turn that into a brag post, I'm just trying to hammer home my point: if you can afford to but him, why not? If you have to give away your team to buy him, why? This particular league is a 16 teamer that's been around since 2000. I had a few good years early and then a HUGE run of crappy, and now I've finished 2nd for 5 straight years.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:49 pm

I saw a trade from a friends league that he posted, it was this:

OBJ + 1.12

For

Hopkins + Watkins + 1.05

I so, so badly wish I had OBJ to trade away.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:58 pm

JoshGordonsDealer wrote:
JFever wrote:The 1.02, 1.11, and Jordon Mathews for Odell Beckham Jr, Even if you can afford it - isn't really advisable imo. too much of that / a couple misses in a row - and all the sudden the haves become the have nots... But, again, some are quick to anoint, and others need to see a bit more before paying a premium. I'd say the 1.02, 1.11 along with J.Mathews - is paying close to a premium.
My WRs before the trade were:
1. Julio
2. AJG
3. DT
4. Evans
5. Sammy
6. Alshon
7. JMatt
8. CPatt
9. JHunt

__

So while you're right, I paid a premium... I could afford to. In fact, in a vacuum, I'd say he won the trade, assuming his picks pan out.
__
Sorry to turn that into a brag post, I'm just trying to hammer home my point: if you can afford to but him, why not? If you have to give away your team to buy him, why? This particular league is a 16 teamer that's been around since 2000. I had a few good years early and then a HUGE run of crappy, and now I've finished 2nd for 5 straight years.
finishing 2nd for 5 years in a row is hardly a brag post ... you should have off loaded some of that wr talent to bolster other aareas of your team bud .
adding wr depth to that lineup is like the cavs suggesting lebron work on the range of his jumper ...... it might help but the cavs need help elsewhere that will return a better dividend
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
TE eifert howard njoku
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:06 pm

clarion contrarion wrote:
JoshGordonsDealer wrote:Sorry to turn that into a brag post
finishing 2nd for 5 years in a row is hardly a brag post
Yeah, making the final two for five years in a row in a 16-team league demonstrates nothing. Work on your team a little, and maybe you'll win the coin flip ... er, championship game ... next season.

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by dlf_jules on Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:13 pm

Jules wrote:
clarion contrarion wrote: finishing 2nd for 5 years in a row is hardly a brag post
Yeah, making the final two for five years in a row in a 16-team league demonstrates nothing. Work on your team a little, and maybe you'll win the coin flip ... er, championship game ... next season.
Lol, according to that record vs. championships thread, Clarion is a total bum at fantasy football! lol
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:18 pm

As it pertains to that group of WR, - I Was kinda thinking the same thing. We all (most of us anyway) love to build around young wr talent. Seems to me that you have so much there that it is more of a hindrance than a help. At times, I'd guess it is tough to pick your starters with that group. I'd also recommend moving a bit of that top notch wr talent / depth - for a top level rb, Te, or qb...

Great wr corp though. Impressive.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:20 pm

Jules wrote:
clarion contrarion wrote: finishing 2nd for 5 years in a row is hardly a brag post
2nd 5 years in a row is like michael collins flying to the moon but not getting his feet dirty ... nice but so let me get this straight you risked yer arse to fly to the moon and didn't stand in the dust .... OK
who finished 2nd the last 5 years at the indy 500 or the boston marathon.... or in a football context when we think of great teams of all time the 70s vikes aand the 90s bills rarely get mentioned for a reason
winning is the thing you see... once I have finished 2nd once that is enough after that it is about winning and if you ain't winning you are losing
moral victories are for youth soccer or Upwards basketball
QB luck- driskell
TE eifert howard njoku
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci