Player of the Year

Re: Startup In Progress

Postby Rosenbluu » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:50 pm

Very interesting draft... Bell/Murray/Charles/Mccoy all on the same team
12 Team PPR
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex
QB: Mahomes/Jones
RB: Mixon/Chubb/Mostert/Burkhead/McKinnon
WR: Wilson/JuJu/Marquise/Mooney/Campbell/Dotson/Osborn/Julio/Tolbert/Shakir/Metchie
TE: Andrews/Hurst

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:52 pm

Rosenbluu wrote:Very interesting draft... Bell/Murray/Charles/Mccoy all on the same team
Yeah, you think this league may put a bit of a premium on young WRs? lol
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:11 am

BuckeyeNation wrote:
JoshGordonsDealer wrote:Some of these teams really confuse me....

Pibullz, Speed Kills, Branchtana are all looking rough
So, I'm Branchtana in this league. Little bit of insight here.

I've always traded up early in startups and acquired extra studs by selling out on rookie picks for the first couple years of a dynasty. Not trying to sound arrogant here, but I've had immense success with any dynasty league that I've been a part of. I see a lot of owners punt on year one and they build some pretty sick squads by year 2 or 3, so I thought I'd try something different here.

The pick that I hate the most is Forte at 4.07. I really hadn't decided to go totally young at that point, and Forte's production was pretty valuable at that pick IMO. Being so early in the season, my main goal was to just draft young and draft for value. I love to trade a lot in leagues and I understand that youth is the pulse of dynasty and what gives you the ability to make trades. Plus with the weird dynamic in this startup, there is still a TON o productive vets available as we reach the double digit rounds.

This is definitely not my usual route in dynasty startup's, but I'm confident that I can make it work. Didn't love the Patterson/Sankey picks, but I think they provided tremendous value where I drafted them. Especially if you compare where I took them to where I've seen them taken in mock drafts and in ADP data.
Some of your picks were really quite good, IMO. I agree the Forte pick was your weirdest, especially since we don't know who will be the coach.

I'm also not a huge fan of taking rookie picks in a startup. It can set you back so much, so early. That being said, 1.03 is probably the best value at this point. When's the rookie draft?

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:39 pm

JoshGordonsDealer wrote:
BuckeyeNation wrote:
JoshGordonsDealer wrote:Some of these teams really confuse me....

Pibullz, Speed Kills, Branchtana are all looking rough
So, I'm Branchtana in this league. Little bit of insight here.

I've always traded up early in startups and acquired extra studs by selling out on rookie picks for the first couple years of a dynasty. Not trying to sound arrogant here, but I've had immense success with any dynasty league that I've been a part of. I see a lot of owners punt on year one and they build some pretty sick squads by year 2 or 3, so I thought I'd try something different here.

The pick that I hate the most is Forte at 4.07. I really hadn't decided to go totally young at that point, and Forte's production was pretty valuable at that pick IMO. Being so early in the season, my main goal was to just draft young and draft for value. I love to trade a lot in leagues and I understand that youth is the pulse of dynasty and what gives you the ability to make trades. Plus with the weird dynamic in this startup, there is still a TON o productive vets available as we reach the double digit rounds.

This is definitely not my usual route in dynasty startup's, but I'm confident that I can make it work. Didn't love the Patterson/Sankey picks, but I think they provided tremendous value where I drafted them. Especially if you compare where I took them to where I've seen them taken in mock drafts and in ADP data.
Some of your picks were really quite good, IMO. I agree the Forte pick was your weirdest, especially since we don't know who will be the coach.

I'm also not a huge fan of taking rookie picks in a startup. It can set you back so much, so early. That being said, 1.03 is probably the best value at this point. When's the rookie draft?
I believe it's in May, a couple of weeks after the NFL draft.

In general, I don't like rookie picks. I think out of my other 13 leagues I only own a 1st round pick in 3 of those leagues this year. So that should tell you how I feel about picks. I just wanted to try a different approach with this draft. I probably won't do it again, but it's been a learning experience none the less.

As far as the picks I've made, I've just tried to go with value. Being so early in the offseason and having such varying owner styles, I've pretty much just taken the best value that has fallen to me. Rookie picks in a startup is something I've only done 1 other time. I didn't plan on taking all those rookie picks, but when I was OTC I asked myself if I would trade the rookie pick for the players available. Even if I thought it was close, I decided to go with the pick. My thought process was that the pick is guaranteed to hold it's value and probably gain value going forward, and that the pick would be appealing to more owners in a trade.

All in all I don't care for my team at all right now, but I'm going to try to reserve judgment until after I've turned all the rookie picks into players and made some trades.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:06 pm

BuckeyeNation wrote:Rookie picks in a startup is something I've only done 1 other time. I didn't plan on taking all those rookie picks, but when I was OTC I asked myself if I would trade the rookie pick for the players available. Even if I thought it was close, I decided to go with the pick. My thought process was that the pick is guaranteed to hold it's value and probably gain value going forward, and that the pick would be appealing to more owners in a trade.

All in all I don't care for my team at all right now, but I'm going to try to reserve judgment until after I've turned all the rookie picks into players and made some trades.
I did this in a startup last year, and it worked out fairly well. I couldn't load up on picks, but I drafted the 1.01 slot (which included 2.01, 3.01, etc). Come draft time, I turned the 1.01 into a handful of 2014 and 2015 picks, and then I turned those picks for players -- some during the draft, some during the season. I finished second, and I still have a three-year contention window.
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:27 pm

Jules wrote:
BuckeyeNation wrote:Rookie picks in a startup is something I've only done 1 other time. I didn't plan on taking all those rookie picks, but when I was OTC I asked myself if I would trade the rookie pick for the players available. Even if I thought it was close, I decided to go with the pick. My thought process was that the pick is guaranteed to hold it's value and probably gain value going forward, and that the pick would be appealing to more owners in a trade.

I did this in a startup last year, and it worked out fairly well. I couldn't load up on picks, but I drafted the 1.01 slot (which included 2.01, 3.01, etc). Come draft time, I turned the 1.01 into a handful of 2014 and 2015 picks, and then I turned those picks for players -- some during the draft, some during the season. I finished second, and I still have a three-year contention window.
Do you remember where you took it? And where 1.02 went?

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:31 pm

X.01 package went at 3.08. X.02 package went at 4.07.

doktor
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby doktor » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:44 pm

Jules wrote:X.01 package went at 3.08. X.02 package went at 4.07.
We debated doing it this way; but it seems to skew the value of the picks even more as you're essentially getting 3 players for a single startup pick.

Curious, did you guys restrict it so a team could only draft a single slot?

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:12 pm

Yes. Otherwise they would have gone way earlier, I suspect.

ajmyk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ajmyk » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:43 am

Bortles still going before Bridgwater ? Interesting.
1. 14-teamer, .5 PPR, 2 Flex, 16 keepers
QB :Palmer, Bridgewater, RG3
RB : Gurley, Hyde, Yeldon, McKinnon
WR: Dez, Jeffery, Evans, Watkins, Marshall, Diggs, Sharpe
TE : Eifert, ASJ,
IDP : Mosley, Olegtree, Collins &Stuff

2. 12-teamer, standard, 6 PTD, full dynasty
QB: Rodgers, Bortles, Petty
RB : McCoy, Forsett, Spiller, Lewis, KRob, Ridley, Haynes
WR : Julio, AJ Green, Tate, Latimer, Lee
TE : Gronk , Hill, Chandler

wolfepackage
Role Player
Role Player

Postby wolfepackage » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:13 am

I am the Joker in this start up what do you guys think of my team so far?

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:38 am

wolfepackage wrote:I am the Joker in this start up what do you guys think of my team so far?
I don't think we like the same players -- I'm not a fan of Benjamin, Mike Wallace, or Justin Hunter at those prices. But I like the overall strategy, and I think you got the 1.02 at quite a bargain.

MINT
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby MINT » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:01 pm

Bell, Le'Veon PIT RB at 1.10 is a complete shocker - should be 1.01 or 1.02 .
Moncrief a wr2/3 next year.

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:16 pm

MINT wrote:Bell, Le'Veon PIT RB at 1.10 is a complete shocker - should be 1.01 or 1.02 .
Moncrief a wr2/3 next year.
That's what a few people said of McCoy prior to this year, and where he went in one of my start-ups. That didn't go so well.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:18 pm

This is fun to watch from afar seeing as I'm in leagues with most of you, and how I could tell who took OBJ at 1.01 before anything was mentioned.