The Todd Gurley Thread - Currently FA

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Gurley a Product of System?

Postby kmbryant09 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:08 am

Is there any place that has SPARQ scores for most of the prospects? Or is that something that has to wait until after the combine?
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

closports
Role Player
Role Player

Postby closports » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:08 am

Both are all-world talents. I think, subject to injury, Chubb will be considered to be a top pick when he comes out in 2 years as well.

I think there's zero chance that Gurley is just a product of the system. He passes the eye test in spades and does things on the field that you just dont see that often.
8 team league - Year 5 - Standard - No PPR (no negatives for INT/FL)
2QB/3RB/4WR/1TE
QB: Ryan(T) – Rivers(T) – Kizer(2) – Mahomes(2)
RB: J.Howard(T) – Ajayi(T) – Cook(1) – Mixon(1) – Henry(1) – Abdullah(T) – Conner(4) – Cohen(8)
WR: Dez(T) – Cooks(T) – Parker(T) – Pryor Sr.(T) – Coleman(1) – Doctson(T) – Meredith(3)
TE: Kelce(5) - Engram(2)
(T) = traded for, (#) = taken in rookie/FA draft (rd selected), (W) = waiver claim
2018 Draft Picks: #'s 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4
2014 CHAMPION
***NEW*** Team Profile: http://imgur.com/a/rL8Gt

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:12 am

I agree with this. If a backup comes in and is nearly as good or even as good as the starter, then you have to keep in mind the whole team may just be pretty good. Trent Richardson was supposed to be a world beater, and he has not panned out. Mark Ingram was a top prospect, and maybe partly due to his situation but he has not been nearly as good as expected. I asked this same question in regard to Gordon in another thread - Wisconsin has a long history of RBs putting up great stats in college and then not really doing much of anything in the NFL.

I am not going to avoid drafting these guys if they fall to the right place, but I am not completely sold on the idea of either of them being worth a top 2 rookie pick at this point. I'd rather trade back and try to pick up a couple extra selections - it is so hard to predict who will be a successful NFL RB, that IMO throwing more darts is the route to go.

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby breeze » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:16 am

Agree with the rest. Chubb and Treadwell are in a tight competition for best DEVY asset. He is the real deal. Gurley is still a stud prospect
Twitter: @BreezeIDP

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:42 am

Nope, Chubb is just really good in his own right. Gurley is a freak rb, and was hyped as such when he was a freshman.

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:03 am

All this says ot me is that UGA has a good eye for finding, recruiting, and developing RB talent. Good on them.

drobes
Starter
Starter

Postby drobes » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:07 am

TRich also "passed the eye test in spades" and did some amazing things on the field. Pull up his college highlights on youtube and see for yourself. I agree with the OP that it's hard to quantify how much of the success at the college level is due to the dominant Oline and superior system, and how much is due to the individual all-world talent of the RB.

Gurley will remain a top-3 prospect but his case was made more concerning due to his ACL tear preventing him from participating in the combine and pre-draft activities. He no longer has the opportunity to objectively demonstrate his athleticisim.

There is history of all-decade college RB talents under-performing in the NFL. Elite Oline, run-friendly system, a freshman fill-in that outproduces him, not participating in combine and coming off a significant knee injury are all factors that should not be immediately dismissed. I would not feel comfortable drafting him at 1.01.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:17 am

So, if not at 1.01, then when? 1.03? I knew this thread was coming after last night's game. Chubb is a blue chip talent and I wouldn't let his performance scare me away from Gurley in the top 3. I bet after the combine, Gurley drops more. Prob to around 5-6 cause at least 2-3 rookies will impress and tear up the combine and unfortunately many dynasty owners have short memories. Gurley is my #2 ranked rookie still. I have Cooper as my #1, and Gordon as my #3.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

drobes
Starter
Starter

Postby drobes » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:45 am

No way Gurley falls to 5-6, he's been super-hyped all year. Someone is going to be taking him in the top-3.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:23 pm

Chubb, the Georgia system, etc. All it will take for Gurley to drop is for 2 - 3 wr or rb to tear up the combine and then get drafted to a good / better spot than Gurley. With the questions around the acl, and the recency bias of the masses - I don't think it's unreasonable to think Gurley could drop a couple to a few spots at all. After all, Gurley will not take part in the combine, so that too will contribute to the (out of sight / out of mind) influence.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

marmar
Rookie
Rookie

Postby marmar » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:44 pm

I think he will be had in most drafts at pick 1.3 or 1.4 behind Gordon/Cooper, and a coin flip with Parker/Gurley/and a hype guy ( combine or landing spot ).
Luck, Eli
L Bell, J Hill, Gio, L Murray, L Blount, T Riddick
A Johnson, J Edleman, J Matthews, M Floyd az, C Patterson, J Hunter, C Johnson, S Bailey, A Holmes, A Wilson
Gronk, Allen
M Bryant
Stl, NEP

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:13 am

So if Corey Clement comes in next year and tears it up for Wisconsin, does that mean Melvin Gordon wasn't as talented as we thought and was just a product of the system?

Sometimes it just happens that a really really talented guy has another really really talented guy coming up behind him. Chubb is an insane athlete, and that doesn't make Gurley any less awesome.

Metriculous
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Metriculous » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:25 am

If we can safely assume that Chubb and Clement are insane talents in their own right then I will agreee with what most have said in response to my original question.....

But....

When we see Joseph Randle come in and rip off 7 yards per carry, I know it makes me question the talent and value of DeMarco (and I think the Boys view it similarly). It is uncommon to have game changing talent at any position, let alone to have that same talent sitting behind another guy with that talent level on the depth chart.
Eleventeen Time Champion of a Sad Little League
Jealous much? Of course you are.

(Insert Clever Team Name That May Contain Sexual Innuendo)
A bunch of league settings you won't read anyways....numbers and such

QB - A guy with only one or two good years left in the tank
RB1 - A guy who stands charged with several minor crimes (Guilty until proven, right?)
RB2 - Young guy that is only good because of his offensive line and workload
WR1 - A guy whose metrics make up for his stone hands
WR2 - A dude who is probably too short to catch the ball
TE - This guy played basketball, right?
DEF & K - I guess we are still doing this .. :wall: ...

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:32 am

I'm not as high on Clement, I was using him more as an extreme example. But yes, Chubb is generally considered to be really that talented. He was listed as a top 20 devy RB on DLF's devy ranking before he'd even played a single down. Same thing for Bo Scarbrough, who was a 5-star recruit who still hasn't played a down yet for Alabama, but is going to be a beast next year. He's in the top 25 of DLF's devy ranking already. No one would be surprised if he picks up where Yeldon left off and surpasses him.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:00 pm

JFever wrote:Chubb, the Georgia system, etc. All it will take for Gurley to drop is for 2 - 3 wr or rb to tear up the combine and then get drafted to a good / better spot than Gurley. With the questions around the acl, and the recency bias of the masses - I don't think it's unreasonable to think Gurley could drop a couple to a few spots at all. After all, Gurley will not take part in the combine, so that too will contribute to the (out of sight / out of mind) influence.
Even though I'm a huge believer in Gurley, there's definitely a relevant chance he drops out the Top 3 because of how the value of RB's fluctuate each year. Gio Bernard is a prime example; Trent Richardson, Doug Martin and C.J. Spiller are extreme examples.

I don't think it will be because of Chubb though. I just see a few prospects killing the combine and leading the charge in rookie fever. If Dorial Green-Beckham declares, I think he's the obvious choice to win the combine.