Jesu Cristo! 408 yards for Melvin Gordon!

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Mefisto
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Jesu Cristo! 408 yards for Melvin Gordon!

Postby Mefisto » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Csl312 hit it right on the head. When you get to face college defenses with an NFL-caliber offensive line, anyone will look good. I have a gut feeling that Gordon is the next TRich. He's going to get a lot of hype coming into the draft. However, without the huge advantage his o-line gives him at Wisconsin he will just be a good RB, not great.
12 Team Non-PPR league. 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1RB/WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DL, 1LB, 1DB, 2DL/LB/DB
QB: Brady, Stafford, Mariota, Tannehill
RB: L. Miller, A. Collins, K. Drake, R. Freeman, K. Dixon, D. Foreman, D. Murray, J. Allen, Gore
WR: Hopkins, ARob, S. Diggs, D. Parker, M. Lee, J. Matthews, T. Lockett, D. Pettis, Callaway
TE: T. Kelce, E. Ebron, C. Brate
K: Bailey, Coons, Boswell
DL: D. Hunter, R. Quinn, D. Lawrence
LB: Von Miller, A. Ogletree, B. Wagner T. Edmunds
DB: H. Smith, J. Cyprien, L. Collins
2017 Superbowl Champion

10 Team PPR League. Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 1Superflex, 1Flex, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 3DFlex
QB: Luck, Goff, Trubisky, Prescott, Tannehill
RB: Gurley, Mixon, Barkley, D. Foreman
WR: Kupp, Cooper, C. Davis, Parker, T. Lockett, Kupp, W. Fuller, Sutton, John Brown, Callaway
TE: Kelce, Burton
DL: D. Lawrence, Ogunjobi, Ansah, M. Davenport
LB: L. Kuechly, T. Smith, Kiko Alonso, T. Edmunds, J. Smith, R. Foster
DB: Clinton-Dix, D. James, T. Edmunds, M. Jenkins

Dingram
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dingram » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:15 pm

That run where he hurdled the defender mid stride & didn't miss a step was a thing of beauty. Unbelievable.

Dingram
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dingram » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Mefisto wrote:Csl312 hit it right on the head. When you get to face college defenses with an NFL-caliber offensive line, anyone will look good. I have a gut feeling that Gordon is the next TRich. He's going to get a lot of hype coming into the draft. However, without the huge advantage his o-line gives him at Wisconsin he will just be a good RB, not great.
Unlike the other backs mentioned, Gordon IS the whole Wisconsin offense. To produce like that while facing 8 & 9 man box is unbelievable. Wish he was a little more involved in the passing game. That is my biggest worry. Only some many 1 dimensional RBs in today's NFL. Needs to improve in pass catching & pass protection a little IMO. Don't need another Seastrunk 2.0

drobes
Starter
Starter

Postby drobes » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:36 pm

Mefisto wrote:Csl312 hit it right on the head. When you get to face college defenses with an NFL-caliber offensive line, anyone will look good. I have a gut feeling that Gordon is the next TRich. He's going to get a lot of hype coming into the draft. However, without the huge advantage his o-line gives him at Wisconsin he will just be a good RB, not great.
I'm more worried about the TRich effect with Gurley. At least with Gordon, his elite athleticism is on display. TRich was able to run through giant holes and run over college level LBs and DBs just like Gurley does.

drobes
Starter
Starter

Postby drobes » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Dingram wrote:Unlike the other backs mentioned, Gordon IS the whole Wisconsin offense. To produce like that while facing 8 & 9 man box is unbelievable. Wish he was a little more involved in the passing game. That is my biggest worry. Only some many 1 dimensional RBs in today's NFL. Needs to improve in pass catching & pass protection a little IMO. Don't need another Seastrunk 2.0
It's not that Gordon isn't a part of the passing game, it's that Wisconsin doesn't have a passing game. In the Nebraska game where Gordon ran for 408 yards, they passed for only 46 yards as a team.

Seastrunk was different since Baylor was a passing team where he didn't participate. The passing game for Gordon is not a negative or positive at this point, just an unknown. The combine should be a good opportunity for him to prove to NFL scouts that he can excell in the passing game.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:02 pm

drobes wrote:
It's not that Gordon isn't a part of the passing game, it's that Wisconsin doesn't have a passing game. In the Nebraska game where Gordon ran for 408 yards, they passed for only 46 yards as a team.
This is what makes me hesitate though. Not that he isn't athletic or any of that, but if you can win games convincingly without some semblance of a passing game it can't be just because your #1 back is a world beater. They have 2.5x as many rushing as passing yards right now and have attempted 2.1x more runs than passes. Their top 3 RBs are averaging 8.6 (223 carries), 6.2 YPC (119 carries) and 5.7 YPC (34 carries), and their QB is averaging 9.4 YPC (53 carries) - interestingly more than his yards per passing attempt and only 1.9 fewer than yards per completion.

This tells me that this team is going to be able to run the ball well no matter who is toting the rock. Obviously Gordon is better than anyone else on the team. And admittedly I do not watch their games. However it seems to me their offense is completely geared toward the run. I would assume a lot of the time their WRs are blocking rather than running routes, and I know their O Line physically dominates pretty much ever other D Line they play. No NFL RB is going to be getting that much support dedicated to the run game. IMO this hurts the RB however talented he is. He potentially is not learning to have the vision necessary to succeed at the next level because he does not need to in order to be successful. He needs to run fast through the holes that are very effectively cleared for him.

I want to be clear though, my thoughts are based on historical trends with UW and on the stats because I don't watch much college ball until I do some film review in prep for rookie drafts. I also am not saying I think this all means he will fail in the NFL, just that I am a little hesitant to rank any Wisconsin RB highly for these reasons.

drobes
Starter
Starter

Postby drobes » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:28 pm

Csl312 wrote: This is what makes me hesitate though. Not that he isn't athletic or any of that, but if you can win games convincingly without some semblance of a passing game it can't be just because your #1 back is a world beater. They have 2.5x as many rushing as passing yards right now and have attempted 2.1x more runs than passes. Their top 3 RBs are averaging 8.6 (223 carries), 6.2 YPC (119 carries) and 5.7 YPC (34 carries), and their QB is averaging 9.4 YPC (53 carries) - interestingly more than his yards per passing attempt and only 1.9 fewer than yards per completion.

This tells me that this team is going to be able to run the ball well no matter who is toting the rock. Obviously Gordon is better than anyone else on the team. And admittedly I do not watch their games. However it seems to me their offense is completely geared toward the run. I would assume a lot of the time their WRs are blocking rather than running routes, and I know their O Line physically dominates pretty much ever other D Line they play. No NFL RB is going to be getting that much support dedicated to the run game. IMO this hurts the RB however talented he is. He potentially is not learning to have the vision necessary to succeed at the next level because he does not need to in order to be successful. He needs to run fast through the holes that are very effectively cleared for him.

I want to be clear though, my thoughts are based on historical trends with UW and on the stats because I don't watch much college ball until I do some film review in prep for rookie drafts. I also am not saying I think this all means he will fail in the NFL, just that I am a little hesitant to rank any Wisconsin RB highly for these reasons.
Fair points to consider but the other side of the coin is that because Wisconsin is so run-centric, Gordon regularly has to deal with 8-9 defenders in the box.

Despite Wisconsin's solid run performance, there is no one on their line that projects to be an early-mid round NFL draft pick. Does the RB make the Oline or does the Oline make the RB is an arguement that could be made with any of the top RB prospects since they all run behind dominant lines. If you look at Todd Gurley and the elite Georgia line, freshman fill-in Nick Chubb has performed just as well as Gurley did by posting a 6.8 YPC (152 carries). Chubb also has a higher avg in the passing game and out-produced Gurley on far fewer touches when they both played in the AUB game last weekend.

My question would be that if you're steering clear of Gordon for the concerns you listed above, then what RB would you be looking to take above him?

BTW: I saw the record setting WIS game last weekend and I would say that there was some of each with Gordon: some plays with huge gaping holes that any RB with good speed could make and some plays were he did something special to make the play like getting small through a tiny crease, showing great 2nd level vision or using elite athleticism to make a defender miss in the open field.

drobes
Starter
Starter

Postby drobes » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:35 pm

Here's the run that broke the record:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8FTvGlMQwE

What an amazing performance by the Oline and Gordon both. Consider that he broke LaDainian Tomlinson's record (406 on 43 carries) with 408 on only 25 carries playing just 3 quarters against the 20th ranked run defense.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:58 pm

drobes wrote: My question would be that if you're steering clear of Gordon for the concerns you listed above, then what RB would you be looking to take above him?
Fair question. I really don't watch college football regularly at all, and have not tried to start sorting through prospects yet. After the Super Bowl is when I usually start looking into prospects. And this is often the situation of top backs. I will say NFL team factors in a lot more for RBs to me than other positions. But Wisconsin especially just has a history of outstanding line play that I think clouds the RB situation so much. That clip of the record breaking run was impressive, but the blocking was so good that he didn't need to do much for about 12 yards on that play. I am not taking him off my top RB prospects lists by any means, just will take more than it might in other situations to move him to the top.

drobes
Starter
Starter

Postby drobes » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:35 pm

Csl312 wrote:That clip of the record breaking run was impressive, but the blocking was so good that he didn't need to do much for about 12 yards on that play.
It's hard to see what happens from the initial camera angle but if you watch the replay which shows a backfield angle, you can see that the play was designed to follow the FB off-tackle to the left side. Gordon used his vision to read the weakside LB who was over-pursuing and took the cut-back lane beating the CB to the gap (who was on a run blitz weakside edge containment) and breaking an arm-tackle from the DE while still accelerating into the second level.

There are plenty of examples in this game where the Oline made the play but I think this was a play that wouldn't have happened without Gordon. A lesser college RB would have probably followed the FB through the gap which the LBs were crashing down on and maybe fallen forward for a 3-4 yard gain.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:57 pm

Good point. After re watching it a few more times I agree with you. Initially though I thought that the play was designed to cut it outside, but the FB was definitely looking to block downfield to kudos to Gordon on that play certainly. Nice catch.

terryb24
Role Player
Role Player

Postby terryb24 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:10 pm

He reminds of Jamaal Charles. This kid is really good. Even still i would consider Amari Cooper over him just because of how RBs have faired the past few years.
14 team league: TD ONLY: TD- 7 points, FGs- 3 Points and XP- 1 Point
QB- Carson Wentz, Ryan Tannehill, Jay Cutler, Brock Osweiler, Teddy Bridgewater
RB- Tevin Coleman, Spencer Ware, Jonathan Stewart, Matt Forte
WR- Brandin Cooks, Jarvis Landry, Jordan Matthews, Sterling Shepard, John Brown, Mike Wallace
TE- Coby Fleener
K- Dustin Hopkins, Matt Prater
2017- 3rd overall, 4th overall, 8th overall, 9th overall, 10th overall, 12th overall, 13th overall, 17th overall, 21st overall, 25th overall, and 31st overall.
2018- 3 firsts, 3 seconds, 1 third.
2019- 2 firsts.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:47 pm

Gordon vs LSU should answer any questions about the competition. Even on his 63 yard run, he showed incredible patience, vision, and you could tell he couldn't hit that next gear because of the hip flexor they later let on about. You could tell he wasn't right a the end of that run. Throughout that game, he gashed an SEC defense every bit as well as Gurley could. Gurley's backup puts up similar numbers as a freshman when given the chance, so is it that Gurley is so fantastic, or his line is as well? He IS a great college back, no doubt, but the undisputed 1.01? I HAVE the 1.01, and even before last weekend's HUGE change in fortunes, I was starting to sway towards Gordon. He simply produces more than Gurley, despite Gurley's runaway hype machine that promotes nothing but "potential" because of his size and speed. He ha NEVER played a full college season, and I suggest you research his injury history over the last few years. Gordon has no character concerns, either by the way, and is praised by his coach about his work ethic and selfless attitude. If Gordon is healthy come draft time, he is my no brainer pick at 1.01.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Dingram wrote:
Unlike the other backs mentioned, Gordon IS the whole Wisconsin offense. To produce like that while facing 8 & 9 man box is unbelievable. Wish he was a little more involved in the passing game. That is my biggest worry. Only some many 1 dimensional RBs in today's NFL. Needs to improve in pass catching & pass protection a little IMO. Don't need another Seastrunk 2.0
Gordon's athleticism compared to T-Rich's, or any other successful college back at Wisconsin? Not even close. Even before this season, Bucky Brooks (NFL.com, former NFL scout) wrote an article about Gordon vs. Gurley. He said before he watched the tape, he expected to prefer Gurley, but after watching, actually preferred Gordon. He said at the end of the article" We'll have to see how this season unfolds". Well, so far I think his assessment is correct. Gordon>Gurley.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".