If there is only a "Big 5" where does that leave...

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Scorpio78
Captain
Captain

If there is only a "Big 5" where does that leave...

Postby Scorpio78 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:02 am

…Antonio Brown? Is he in a tier of his own ahead of the Big 5? Just wondering. I'm new to this whole fantasy football thing and am wondering why a guy who has consistently outproduced the Big 5 over the course of the last year and a half isn't valued accordingly. I know this subject has been broached in other threads, but it's time to cut the crap. Antonio Brown not only belongs in the "Big 5" but he is the BIGGEST member of that group. I offered Brown (along with John Brown) for DT and Ridley (post injury) and was shot down. I TRULY believe that was an overpay (because it was/is)…but I wanted DT for a looming week 12 match-up (Brown's bye…and Benjamin's) that could be pivotal in deciding the division. In the end, I'm glad that trade didn't go through…as I was hesitant to even offer it (I guess I'll just have to plug John Brown into my week 12 line-up and hope for the best) . As far as Antonio Brown is concerned, he is either A) a member of the "Big 6" or B) ahead of the Big 5 but he is definitely not C) in a tier below a mythical group of wideouts that he consistently outproduces.

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: If there is only a "Big 5" where does that leave...

Postby bigchiefbc » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:20 am

Didn't we just have a thread about this a few days ago? The consensus is that Brown has to be in the top tier now. I don't think anybody thinks Brown is still second tier anymore.

Oh there we go: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81170

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:02 am

This topic comes up like once a week.

Antonio Brown is in the top tier. I don't know why people still question it.

Sliup
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sliup » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:10 am

He is in the top tier but he isn't #1. The big 5 stuff was from the offseason. It was big 6 until Gordon's suspension and he could reenter the discussion for a big 7 if people trust him not to do drugs.

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:23 am

Scorpio78 wrote:…Antonio Brown? Is he in a tier of his own ahead of the Big 5? Just wondering. I'm new to this whole fantasy football thing and am wondering why a guy who has consistently outproduced the Big 5 over the course of the last year and a half isn't valued accordingly. I know this subject has been broached in other threads, but it's time to cut the crap. Antonio Brown not only belongs in the "Big 5" but he is the BIGGEST member of that group. I offered Brown (along with John Brown) for DT and Ridley (post injury) and was shot down. I TRULY believe that was an overpay (because it was/is)…but I wanted DT for a looming week 12 match-up (Brown's bye…and Benjamin's) that could be pivotal in deciding the division. In the end, I'm glad that trade didn't go through…as I was hesitant to even offer it (I guess I'll just have to plug John Brown into my week 12 line-up and hope for the best) . As far as Antonio Brown is concerned, he is either A) a member of the "Big 6" or B) ahead of the Big 5 but he is definitely not C) in a tier below a mythical group of wideouts that he consistently outproduces.
So your argument is he is either part of the Calvin, AJG, Julio, Dem, Dez tier OR a tier ahead of them all his own? I own Brown a lot of places and would have no problem trading him for any of those 5 players. I wouldnt trade him for anyone else though. Is it really fair to say he "consistently outproduces" this group though? Calvin and AJG have been hurt...injuries can happen to anyone on any play. He's only averaging about 1 PPG more than Dem, and Dem started off slow before their bye...since Denver's bye Dem has outscored Brown 3 out of 4 weeks. Brown is outscoring Dez and Julio by a bit, but so are Jeremy Maclin, Emmanuel Sanders, TY Hilton, etc...but dynasty is about more than just half of a season. I love Brown, as a Steeler fan, as someone who took him in a rookie draft and got weird looks a few years back, but to say he is under appreciated because people have him as only a top 6-8WR is a little much.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

Telperion
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Telperion » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:24 am

The only reason some people still hesitate is they think once a big, fast receiver emerges as a deep and red zone target, Brown's TD and yardage numbers will dip.

I don't personally think that's the case, but we have 8 weeks to watch what the arrival of Bryant does to Brown.
- Don't waste your time on late round NFL draft picks: Success rates by NFL draft round and speed.
- Team(s): Team 1

ajb3313
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ajb3313 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:27 am

The concept of a "Big 5" is purely narrative. That number is an arbitrary cut-off that serves literally no purpose whatsoever.
(12 Teams, Non-PPR, 15 Keeper Dynasty)
QB: Ryan Tannehill
RB: Eddie Lacy, Jeremy Hill, Charles Sims, Dion Lewis, Ameer Abdullah, Dwayne Washington
WR: Brandin Cooks, Keenan Allen, Donte Moncrief, DeVante Parker, Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman, Quincy Enunwa, Laquon Treadwell, Dorial Green-Beckham
TE: Travis Kelce

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:01 am

ajb3313 wrote:The concept of a "Big 5" is purely narrative. That number is an arbitrary cut-off that serves literally no purpose whatsoever.
This is like a self-driven argument. It comes up all the time, and virtually no one ever argues that he's not in the top tier. I don't know who we're actually arguing with! The Antonio Brown hating ghosts, I guess.

I think ranking the top 6 guys is a fools errand though. They're in that tier because they perform at that level year-in and year-out. One season's performance doesn't get you into the club, and small variations over time (due to injuries, circumstance, etc) shouldn't matter.

JSylvester87
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JSylvester87 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:13 am

I would take Brown over any of the other players if I had the chance. He has better hands and footwork than any of them. I'll always take the footwork over the straight ahead speed.
War Eagle - 16 Team, going into year 9

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 TE/WR, 1K, 1D
QB: Patrick Mahomes, Dwayne Haskins, Mason Rudolph
RB: Le’Veon Bell, Dalvin Cook, Kerryon Johnson, Tony Pollard, Malcolm Brown
WR: JuJu Smith-Schuster, Odell Beckham, Michael Gallup, Sammy Watkins, Antonio Callaway
TE: Mark Andrews, Eric Ebron, Tyler Higbee
K: Will Lutz
D: Bears D
Champion 2012, 2013 , 2014 runner up, 2019 runner up.

the_future
All Pro
All Pro

Postby the_future » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:26 am

bigchiefbc wrote:Didn't we just have a thread about this a few days ago? The consensus is that Brown has to be in the top tier now. I don't think anybody thinks Brown is still second tier anymore.

Oh there we go: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81170
This

ccj
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ccj » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:10 am

I'll represent the Brown hating community (though I did just try to acquire him before 10-133-2). The argument is the same old bigger is better argument. No one can argue how good Welker was while in NE (he had a PPR run of 10th, 10th, 4th, 18th, 2nd, 7th). My argument against these type of guys is that they are not undeniable. The "Big 5" will be #1 in targets and pretty productive anywhere. I don't think you can say the same for the Welker, Harvin, Brown (A and J), Austin, Cooks, Cobb, Edelman, Tate etc. Also, I think the bigger prototypical WRs have a longer shelf life. When the speed wanes they can become competent possession/red zone threats. And maybe they're more durable. They also generally have a higher perceived value which is always important for being able to manipulate your roster.

Although Steve Smith is definitely trying to make a liar out of me this season.

Brown's situation feels safe enough to me though that I'd feel comfortable rating him up with the big dogs right now. This could be year two of a Welker style run except even better. Give me about four and half more years of this... yeah, I'll take that.

Bad News Barrett
MVP
MVP

Postby Bad News Barrett » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:07 pm

I tried to start s discussion with the brown owner, telling him I might sell Julio for brown+.

He told me I'd have toads to Julio to get him, so I just stopped there

Point being, I consider him up there, but give me DT, Julio, dez or AJG over him
Finally on Twitter @dynastybarrett

"I'm afraid I've got some bad news"

joekool
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby joekool » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:34 pm

badnewsbarrett wrote:I tried to start s discussion with the brown owner, telling him I might sell Julio for brown+.

Point being, I consider him up there, but give me DT, Julio, dez or AJG over him
autocorrect?

just curious if "toads" was sposed to be "to add"

:biggrin:

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:14 pm

joekool wrote:
badnewsbarrett wrote:I tried to start s discussion with the brown owner, telling him I might sell Julio for brown+.

autocorrect?

just curious if "toads" was sposed to be "to add"

:biggrin:
Nah, it meant toads. You know, the ones you can lick and then you start hallucinating? That was instead of being a Brown owner who is high on him, he can be a Julio owner who is just high. :dance:
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

Scorpio78
Captain
Captain

Postby Scorpio78 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:43 pm

I would rather have Brown than Julio. Does anyone else feel that way? Probably not. I made this argument last Spring I think, but I'll repeat it. What makes Brown special is the fact that he doesn't get tired! He clearly has an astronomically high threshold. He's 100% on every play…and that's why he doesn't post bad games. Add to that the fact that Ben, with his ability to buy time, perfectly compliments Brown's ability to run all over the field. I think Brown will be an elite WR1 in PPR leagues for as long as Ben is around and could see him remaining highly productive well into his 34-35 season with or without Ben. Brown will still get open…because he still won't get tired. So when you're comparing AB to the mythical big 5, you're really comparing apples and oranges. They're special for different reasons. But AB is a special player…and belongs with the elite tier. He was third in PPR leagues last year and is first this season. How a player can produce the 1st and 3rd most amount of points at his position and not be considered in the top 5 is beyond me. It's lunacy…if you really think about it.